PDA

View Full Version : What kind of dog is Casey?

caseysmom
08-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Hubby was calling another insurance company to compare rates and this insurance company asked what kind of dogs we have. Casey is a mutt but what should I say if you had to guess.

She could have little pit bull but of course I don't want to say that the insurance company is probably asking for that reason- they don't want the dogs labelled as dangerous.

When I first adopted casey the first vet I went to said border collie...well Casey's personality is nothing like a border collie but I thought maybe I would just say that since they have a good reputation.

Any ideas.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/spumoni/jenner2080.jpg

MoonandBean
08-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Border Collie mix :)

Oh, and cute :)

caseysmom
08-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Thank you this is one of my favorite pics of her with her tongue sticking out and on the beach, her favorite place!

pomtzu
08-01-2010, 12:06 PM
Border collie/Lab

Taz_Zoee
08-01-2010, 12:07 PM
I might say she's Aussie/Lab. :p Her coloring says Aussie and her build says Lab. Her ears look Aussie to me too.

For insurance purposes, I'd probably just say she is a Lab mix.

That is an adorable picture of her too. :D

caseysmom
08-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Her picture doesn't really show her size, she is only to my knee and weights about 44 pounds...would be 35 if she wasn't fat....:)

Freedom
08-01-2010, 12:14 PM
this insurance company asked what kind of dogs we have.

Too right, depends who is asking, and if the mix is obvious. In this case, it is not. So just say collie mix, lab mix, whatever. You know what they are asking, you know it doesn't apply to you, so you aren't misleading them.

That IS a lovely photo, makes me smile! I can see why you like it!

Her coloring is interesting, isn't it? Love the white tail tip!

caseysmom
08-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Its funny she looks just like an Entlebucher...an obscure rare breed here in the states...it is one of the 4 swiss mountain dogs. I should just say she is entlebucher.:p

Taz_Zoee
08-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Her picture doesn't really show her size, she is only to my knee and weights about 44 pounds...would be 35 if she wasn't fat....:)

I'd still say she has Lab in her. Maybe with a small breed mix. Maybe a smaller Aussie. (Do you like how I keep throwing Aussie out there? ;))

I just looked up pictures of Lab mixes (Aussie and BC) and honestly I didn't see any that resembled Casey. So now I'm stumped.

Still searching and I found a dog that looks similar to Casey and it is listed as a Border Collie/ Jack Russell mix. Hmmmm.....I still think Casey is more Lab. So now I'm thinking maybe Lab/JRT mix??? Especially given her size.

caseysmom
08-01-2010, 12:25 PM
She looks just like this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/spumoni/entle.gif

chocolatepuppy
08-01-2010, 04:22 PM
I'd go with Border Collie/Lab. I've always thought she looked like a Swiss Mountain Dog.;) The insurance company is one of the reasons, years ago, we didn't get a GSD, as we wanted. We had a Shepherd/Collie when we moved here and the insurnace company hasn't asked since. I told them he was a Collie mix. But look what we ended up with! Lacey, maybe Shepherd/Rottie?, Layla, Shepherd/Lab, looks more like Shepherd/Wolf.:rolleyes: At least Jake is smaller.:D

luvofallhorses
08-01-2010, 05:55 PM
She reminds me of a greater swiss mountain dog in a way. She is gorgeous. For breeds though I would say she has some lab in her somewhere and possibly rottweiler? I would list her as a lab/border collie mix though or lab/australian shepherd for your insurance company. What is she listed as at your vet? Not that they would check, but you never know.

AdoreMyDogs
08-01-2010, 06:47 PM
I had a beagle/German shepherd mix growing up. He looked a lot like Casey. I guess I'm the only one who sees a beagle/shepherd. And I agree with the others, just tell the insurance company she's a lab mix to avoid any problems (or an Entlebucher....that would work, too :) )

She's adorable and reminds me so much of my beloved childhood dog, Keefer. :love:

Karen
08-01-2010, 07:57 PM
I would say she's a good mix, all dog. If pressed I would say "She's got the coloring of a Swiss Mountain Dog or a tri-color Aussie (see http://DogoftheDay.com/archive/2008/March/13.html), the build of a Lab, but not the height, maybe she's a Beagle (to account for her shorter height)/Lab/Aussie mix.

Swissies are much, much bigger dogs, so I doubt that's in her mix, or Rottie, as she just doesn't have the height for either breed. Also, Rottie is on some breed watch lists, so I'd avoid that unless you were sure anyway.

CountryWolf07
08-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Swiss Mountain Dog/Labrador Retriever... that's my best guess!

Karen
08-01-2010, 08:43 PM
She's only knee height, where Swissies usually are about 23-27 inches at the shoulder, and Labs are also are about that height, so she's probably not a Swissie mix. Her face is also not as squarely built as a Swissie.

Taz_Zoee
08-01-2010, 08:45 PM
I had originally thought of a Swissie, until she told us how small she is.
I also thought of beagle, but her ears just aren't big enough. Then again, mixed with a lab....who knows?

caseysmom
08-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Karen, the entlebucher is the smallest swissie weighing only 35 pounds...I will go goole the info...

here is some more info...sounds like the females can weigh the same as casey from what I have read

http://www.thebreedsofdogs.com/Entlebucher-Mountain-Dog.htm

I have people come up to me and ask me where I got my entlebucher since they are rare in the states...

K9karen
08-01-2010, 09:32 PM
BC and Swiss Mt Dog (or Bermese..I had a hard time detecting the length of her coat). I saw one the other day and the leg and face coloring are almost exact.

Taz_Zoee
08-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Karen, the entlebucher is the smallest swissie weighing only 35 pounds...I will go goole the info...

here is some more info...sounds like the females can weigh the same as casey from what I have read

http://www.thebreedsofdogs.com/Entlebucher-Mountain-Dog.htm

I have people come up to me and ask me where I got my entlebucher since they are rare in the states...

Then there you go! She's an Entlebucher. I've never even heard of that breed. But this is where I learn all of these things. :)

caseysmom
08-01-2010, 10:57 PM
I will just say she is a border collie/beagle mix or border collie/lab...

I just think its funny how much she looks like the entlebucher, don't really think she is one.

dab_20
08-02-2010, 12:49 PM
I think she's got some beagle in her! She looks it a little in the face and her height could account for that if she is mixed with lab. Whatever she is, she's 100% adorable!!

Husky_mom
08-03-2010, 12:13 PM
add me to the list that think she looks Swissie or Mt. Bernese... only mixed with a smaller breed ;)

very cute.. love that pic too :D

Asiel
08-03-2010, 12:39 PM
BC/Swiss Mt. Throw something at them that they won't bother wondering about.