PDA

View Full Version : Racoons in the Found Cat Hotel!!! Miquelito My Little Orange Lion a Hero!!!

catmandu
07-30-2010, 08:25 PM
I heard a noise and there was a fair sized Racoon eating Josephs dinner while he sat watching!
Thank God he didnt attack JJJ3 who is pretty feeble.
I am stoping the free lunch in the front , maybe I will feed them far back on the property away from the Hotel, I dont want them near the children on the street.
Anyone have advice on Rocky Racoons and Family who sleep on my roof?:eek::eek::eek:

Laura's Babies
07-31-2010, 08:41 AM
Opps, the word has spread Gary! FREE LUNCH at the Found Cat's Hotel.. ALL are welcome. LOL! (Wonder what else are going to show up there?)

kitten645
07-31-2010, 09:15 AM
Raccoons are dangerous.:eek: They tore apart my friends rabbits in their hutch. Hope the kits have enough sense to stay away!:eek:

catmandu
07-31-2010, 09:24 AM
I think that My Cats know that discretion is the better part of valor and would run.:cool::cool:
I know that Racoons are ferocious, but luckily this one ran when I approached.:eek::eek:
They tore more lattive down but could not get in!!:):)

pomtzu
07-31-2010, 09:29 AM
Oh my - raccoons and cats just aren't good together. But as long as there is food out, I'm afraid that you won't get rid of them. The same with possums too. I had to take in any leftover food in Sherbie's dish at night, because it was attracting unwanted critters.

Can you have the raccoons trapped and relocated? You really should get them out of the area.

jennielynn1970
07-31-2010, 12:52 PM
I thought raccoons were nocturnal animals. Not good to see them in the daytime, that means they could be sick. The easiest transmission of rabies to cats is from raccoons. Please tell the found cats and porch cats to steer clear of the bandits!!

Gary, I would call someone to have them trapped and relocated. They should not be near your house!

catmandu
07-31-2010, 05:24 PM
I think that they are in my back yard so there are a lot of trees and foliage there.
I can rent humane traps from the SPCA and Wildlife Control but they are expensive, maybe I can borrow one from Animal Welfare.:cool:

pomtzu
07-31-2010, 05:41 PM
Don't you have government agencies that oversee wildlife? If you do, contact them, they should be able to help, and you shouldn't have to put out your own money to have them trapped.
And I agree that seeing raccoons in the area in the daylight is not normal for these animals, and they could very well be sick and/or diseased.

catmandu
07-31-2010, 06:28 PM
Actually this was fairly late about 11pm. and the house was dark. I was down to do litter box cleanup when I noticed Joseph and his Coon Pal:cool:
The City of Hamilton does nothing at all for nothing, its open up your wallet for everything. I ave barracaded the Ebony Beau Tubster Memorial Enclosure and had it not gotten dark early I would have done more!!!:)
There is always Tomorrow.:cool:

momcat
07-31-2010, 07:37 PM
Hi Gary, Recently there have been problems with racoons here in Trenton and this is an urban area. As soon as you can, notify a wildlife or animal organization for help. Some of the racoons here tested positive for rabies. These critters are known to be rabies carriers along with other diseases so please be careful and get help from those who know what to do. The last thing I want to hear is they hurt any of your cats or a human.

catmandu
08-01-2010, 08:07 AM
Or even me!!!:eek:
A Young Racoon got in last night and ran up the stairs where Miquelito:love::love: proved he was indeed a Little Orange Lion:):)
He growled at the Racoon, annd from the side nailed him with three lightning claw rips!!:cool::cool:
That with me being there convinced the Racoon to run to the Ebony Beau Tubster Memorial Enclosure and flee the premises.:D:D
Yes Snoopy Your Miquelito is a hero you can be proud of.
I am closing off the enclosure until this is over.
When it starts to get dark. How are you going to call, Miquelito Racoon Buster!!!:love:

pomtzu
08-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Yes Gary - even you!!! :(

If you were to be scratched or bitten, you would have to undergo a series of rabies shots, and I hear that they are not at all pleasant!

For your own safety, and that of your cats, you really need to get rid of those critters, no matter what it takes.

momoffuzzyfaces
08-01-2010, 12:05 PM
OMG! Gary do you have an animal control office you can call? Those things are indeed dangerous to you and the cats too. That they weren't afraid to come inside really concerns me. Please be careful. :love:

catmandu
08-01-2010, 04:01 PM
I will have to wait until Tuesday to call. this being a long weekend , and my neighbor the contractor is going to reinforce the entire porch with heavy duty privacy lattive and there will be no more free lunches , sad for The Porch Cats.:(:(:(
I wonder if the Racoons killed the Earl of Ebony?:(:(:(

momcat
08-01-2010, 04:18 PM
I'm frightened to hear that one of the racoons actually got in! Thanks to your neighbor for being kind enough to do the repairs. Many prayers are being prayed in Trenton for your safety as well as your beloved kitties and your neighbors.

I'm surprised your local wildlife office or animal control doesn't have a stand-by for emergencies such as this. Here in Trenton there's always a crew on call. Please let us know how this plays out. If there's anything your PT friends can do to help you out, be sure to let us know.

catmandu
08-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Mioquelito , Coon Buster is a little sad that he is receiving no Kudos after chasing away taht Big Racoon, and risking his life to save the Found Cat Hotel Ctas and his Pawpie!!!:eek:
He got a whole Tony Romas Beef Rib and hopefully ConCatUlations from His Snoopy Dearest!!:love::love::love:

momoffuzzyfaces
08-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Aw, tell Mioquelito he is indeed a brave boy for chasing off that raccoon. I was just so upset about hearing that it got in I forgot to mention it. :love:

I'm glad he got an extra treat for his bravery! I am just so glad that thing didn't bite him or you or anyone of the others. :love:

katladyd
08-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Gary, I just read this now. Of course Miquelito is a hero! He protected his entire family from that racoon! How brave his little heart is! Give him mucho kisses from me. Miquelito, you are my hero!:love::love::love:

phesina
08-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Miquelito, you are a knight in shining armor! You saved your family!

cassiesmom
08-01-2010, 06:46 PM
my neighbor the contractor is going to reinforce the entire porch with heavy duty privacy lattice and there will be no more free lunches , sad for The Porch Cats.:(:(:(
:(:(:(

That is sad for the Porch Cats, but I agree with the others who posted that you don't want to risk your health or that of the Found Cats. How nice that your neighbor will reinforce the porch for you. I hope there is something the city can do.

My dad spotted four raccoons climbing one of the trees in their back yard in broad daylight. He called the city offices for trapping and got put on a waiting list :mad:!

catmandu
08-02-2010, 08:20 AM
I was talking to my neighbor who is a contractor and he says that the Racoons are seen going into the house next door , theres a hole near their chimney and roof.
:eek::eek:
I am going to report this to the authorities and let them handle it.:cool::cool:
Meanwhile Miquelito is Our Hero Cat!!
If only someone would let his Snoopy Dearest know how brave he is, it would make his day :love::love::love::love::love::love:

jennielynn1970
08-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Oh Gary, how scary!!! I hope that Miquelito will be super careful when it comes to battling raccoons! We don't want him to get hurt!!

Scritchies and belly rubs to Miquelito for his bravery, and good wishes for the authorities in charge of wild animals to getting their butts in there to do what they need to do in a short amount of time!!

catmandu
08-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Cassie , you are so right!
A racoon is much stronger, and more battle savvy than any Cat, and had things gone wrong I could have had a badly wounded Miquelito on a Sunday Night with no Vets open and no way to get him to an Emergency Vet.:eek::eek::eek:
His heart was in the right place as he thought that that Racoon was getting too close to Michael and Pouncierge.
He was awe inspiring and puffed up to twice his size he looked like Battle Cat:cool::cool::cool:

momcat
08-08-2010, 10:47 PM
Hi Gary, How is your situation with the racoons? I hope that by now they've relocated on their own or animal control was able to remove them.

catmandu
08-09-2010, 09:25 AM
They are out there I feed them at the extreme end of the property and I have reinforced the lattice on the Ebony Beau Tubster Memorial Porch.:love::love:
I dont mind Racoons in the back 40, but not in my Hotel.:cool::cool: