PDA

View Full Version : Help needed

sana
07-29-2010, 08:18 AM
Hello Petoftheday members,
Please listen to my need, as my turtle is leaving, my two other type of pets are coming. One is a homing pigeon, lots of 'em (babies) and fishes or fish.
Questions:
About the pigeon:
Q1. What should I feed it?
Q2. Should I put newspaper in its cage?
Q3. How often should I change the newspaper?
Q4. How often should I change the water?

About the fish:
Q1. How often should I change the water in the bowl?
Q2. Are shop fish livable, meaning would they live long enough?
Q3. How much fish food should I give to A fish?
Q4. DO THEY BITE?:confused::confused::eek:

Thanks for reading now please do reply. (*puppy dog pout*);)

lvpets2002
07-29-2010, 09:25 AM
:) Well those are very good questions.. At least you are trying to research before the babies arrive.. However I dont know much about Birds & Fish.. You might go onto the Internet & type in Homing Pigeons & or find a book to buy.. And I would also do the same with the fish.. Just start reading the Internet & or books of sort.. Good Luck & post pics if you can..

Karen
07-29-2010, 11:03 AM
Where is the turtle going?

Fish won't really bite, they might nibble, but it doesn't hurt. What kind of fish? How often you will need to change the water depends on what kind of fish, and the set-up.

As for the pigeon, I hope you have a big enough cage for it, will it come with a cage? Has anyone in your family had pigeons before?

sana
08-05-2010, 05:06 AM
The turtle will go back to where it came from. I think he came from somebody's house. He's my father's friend's friend. hehe. And we used to keep pigeons in our home. Do they eat differently from homing pigeons, hope not. We used to have I think 2 or 4 pigeons and they reproduced and then we had 18 pigeons. So we set them free and then they used to sit on our house top. I think I might buy a goldfish but it has a memory of 3 secs so it wont remember me. haha. And not sure about the other fish

Karen
08-05-2010, 10:55 AM
The pigeons will eat the same food as the homing pigeons, really, and require the same care.

And it's a myth that a goldfish only has three seconds worth of memory, a fish will get to know you, and its routines.

sana
08-05-2010, 11:44 AM
If you want to see Squirtle's pictures. Go in Albums and see the new album, Squirtle, Love ya. There are two pictures, actually I was in a hurry so I could only upload two pictures. I will send more tomorrow. Goodnight its nightime here. ;)

Karen
08-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the pictures, good to see him, and it's good that he is going back to his old owner, who must know how to take care of him!

Husky_mom
08-05-2010, 12:04 PM
like was said earlier.. as for the bird.. the cage is the most important.. it should be big enough for it to spread his/her wings.. flap and maybe do a lil fly around.. unless you plan to take him/her out daily.. water should be changed daily unless needed earlier.. some birds can mess their water faster..

and as for fish.. it depends on the fish and tank you get.. which for most youŽll need one with filtration...and sometimes heat

you can get a Betta.. really pretty.. and you can have in a big bowl and do water changes 1-2 times a week..
as for food you can get flakes or pellets.. also depending on the fish you get.. and consider some species CANŽT be together and some others can..

sana
08-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Thanks guys. I think I'll try buying a Betta. Its EXTREMELY beautiful. On Wikipedia, the first picture is awesome.My father said that he'd tell a carpenter or somebody to a cage for the birds. We won't buy one. As for the fish, I might buy more than two bowls, we can't keep a fish tank. :confused: Husky_mom, you can see Squirtle's pictures in the Albums. There is a new one: Squirtle love ya. I am gonna make another one with more pictures. Made that one in a hurry.

sana
08-05-2010, 07:26 PM
I have to buy a Betta male, the female is just a normal ish. Male is quite pretty. Its a Siamese fighting fish meaning its gonna bite me!!!:eek:

sana
08-05-2010, 09:02 PM
The album's name is Squirtle my ,lovely pet turtle. I renamed it. the first named sounded crazy

Husky_mom
08-06-2010, 09:50 AM
hehe.. no they wonŽt bite you.. they are pretty mellow and very sweet...

they even swim to you when they see you :D.. and have awesome colors.. just donŽt keep two of em together or they WILL fight.. badly...

you can keep each in a bowl and theyŽll be happy...

there are some fish tanks that are not that big... but as I said you have to consider lighting, heat and filtration.. and with a bowl you donŽt.. just donŽt keep it under direct sunlight or a cold corner and youŽll be fine as well as the fish..

let me warn you... Bettas are addictive.. once you get one youŽll want more hehe ;)

sana
08-06-2010, 10:49 AM
they look addictive. Thanks for telling me about betta. I forgot that I could buy them as well.

CatsMeow
09-01-2010, 05:31 PM
OK if you are feeding the fish little "pebble" round hardish food (like i feed my betta) it should be however much the fish will eat, but no more then three very small pinches. (such as five pebbles a pinch)

CatsMeow
09-01-2010, 05:33 PM
You should change water in the bowl once a week. But before you do put the fish back in, there it this stuff availible to buy like Betta plus and other stuff for other fish and or all fish, which you should put three drops over per clean and wait three hours, then put the fish back in. Find a small container to keep the fish in (don't put the lid on the container) for three hours.

CatsMeow
09-01-2010, 05:34 PM
NEVER get two bettas and put them in the tank together (expesially two males but a male and female might work in spring..)

Catherinedana
10-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Hi Sana,

Saw your previous post about setting the pigeons free when they became too much for your family to handle. It is a common belief that birds can take care of themselves out in the "wild" and people often just let them go when they don't want them anymore. This is not true. I don't know if you got the pigeon or not yet, but please consider carefully. If you think that you can just let him go if you don't want to care for him anymore, you are doing the bird a great injustice. Captive birds that are set free get diseases, starve, or get injured or eaten by another animal very easily. Your responsibility to a captive bird is life-long so you need to know that you will care for him as long as he lives, or have a proper alternative if the time comes that you cannot keep him. You are responsible for his life, Sana. It's a very important job.

:love:Cathy

sana
10-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Catherine, I don't know what you learned from my story. The pigeons we let out used to stay in our home but on the roof top but later on when they had to lay eggs and stuff, they left. And its so sad, I didn't get my homing pigeons yet. We will keep them to deliver letters for us. :D I don't think we will let them free. Even if we do, they'd make their nest on the exhaust fan in the washing area. Its open and birds usually make their nests there. But, I wouldn't want to set them free. ;):) I love pigeons and birds. :love::love::love: We couldn't get a cage so we thought about letting the pigeons free. Wonder how many generations have passed in their family. :D:eek: