PDA

View Full Version : Do you foster??

sev116
07-29-2010, 08:03 AM
Hi,
I am involved with a pet rescue group called Angels Among Us (check them out on facebook if you are in the Atlanta area! they pull dogs and cats from high kill shelters, usually just before their time is about to be up) I am really wanting to help out by fostering a dog, but am concerned about my other pets. I have 2 dogs (a boxer and a lab), and also inside/outside cats.

Can anyone share their fostering experiences? What kind of precautions do you take when you already have a home filled with pets?

Thanks!
Sandy

Freedom
07-29-2010, 08:58 AM
I foster! Er, I should say I have failed Fostering 101 countless times! :rolleyes: :D

The rescue I am with tells us to make OUR pets a priority. Keep their vaccines up to date, and make sure they are safe and content when a newbie arrives.

With cats, do the same thing as if introducing a new cat: go slow, keep the foster apart in a room with the door closed for several days. There are several threads on this, if you need them I can try and pull them up for you.

With dogs, I am with a breed rescue. Bichons have low prey drive, so introductions are usually easy. Still, there are steps:
- keep all on a leash
- try and have them meet out in the street first, or in the fenced in back yard
- then I keep mine outside while I let the foster in the house to roam, learn the layout, find the water bowl.
- let the foster back out with the others.
Only after all THAT do I let them all in the house together.

Is this the kind of thing you meant?
If you have more specific questions, ask!

lvpets2002
07-29-2010, 09:20 AM
:) I am like Sandie + in that I have forstered too & also Failed 101 Fostering more than once.. However the times that I did it was all good.. You just intro the babies into the household just like if you are keeping them & then when they get a home It wounderfull news..:love: Good Luck