PDA

View Full Version : Cake Walk Thursday #389

RICHARD
07-28-2010, 05:31 PM
I have had a hankering for milk and giant slice o' cake for the last week.

I want German Chocolate Cake!!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a5/GermanChocolateCake.jpg/220px-GermanChocolateCake.jpg

Iced Fritter recipe

1 1/2 oz Tia Maria® coffee liqueur
8 oz chocolate milk

Stir the Tia Maria coffee liqueur and chocolate milk together with 3 ice cubes in a highball or other tall glass. Serve.

I got the taste for chocolate this week!

DONE!

cassiesmom
07-28-2010, 05:32 PM
Red velvet for me, please and I will start decaf coffee

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/13/Red_velvet_cake_slice.jpg/250px-Red_velvet_cake_slice.jpg

Lady's Human
07-28-2010, 05:37 PM
I'm about to make a blueberry cake.

Anyone want some?

Karen
07-28-2010, 05:45 PM
Blueberry cake, please! And a glass of lemonade, too, barkeep!

Blueberry cake is a family favorite, not too sweet, moist and full of yummy blueberries. Still warm with a but of butter - yummmmmm!

Cassiesmom, what does red velvet cake taste like? I've heard of it, but never seen it in person, I gather it's a traditional Southern thing?

pomtzu
07-28-2010, 06:05 PM
I have had a hankering for milk and giant slice o' cake for the last week.

I want German Chocolate Cake!!!

Sorry - but that's really a pie!! :eek: :D

How about a Jewish Apple Cake instead? It's delish. I'll share with you!

cassiesmom
07-28-2010, 06:06 PM
Blueberry cake, please! And a glass of lemonade, too, barkeep!

Blueberry cake is a family favorite, not too sweet, moist and full of yummy blueberries. Still warm with a but of butter - yummmmmm!

Cassiesmom, what does red velvet cake taste like? I've heard of it, but never seen it in person, I gather it's a traditional Southern thing?

Oooh, blueberry cake and lemonade, those sound really good together :)

I thought red velvet cake originated at Eaton department store of Canada in the 1950's. I've had it as typical cake batter (mild cakey flavor) with cream cheese frosting to set off the red color, but I've also seen a couple of recipes for it with cocoa powder in the batter. PTers, does anyone else know more about it than I do?
Thanks,
elyse

RICHARD
07-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Oooh, blueberry cake and lemonade, those sound really good together :)

I thought red velvet cake originated at Eaton department store of Canada in the 1950's. I've had it as typical cake batter (mild cakey flavor) with cream cheese frosting to set off the red color, but I've also seen a couple of recipes for it with cocoa powder in the batter. PTers, does anyone else know more about it than I do?
Thanks,
elyse

They add red food coloring or beet juice to the homemade style cakes.

One BBC and lemonade?

DONE?

Shall we open the doors and sit on the patio?

I have a nickel for the juke box too....

I'm gonna raise a fuss, I'm gonna raise a holler
About a workin' all summer just to try to earn a dollar
Every time I call my baby, and try to get a date
My boss says, "No dice son, you gotta work late"
Sometimes I wonder what I'm a gonna do
But there ain't no cure for the summertime blues

Well my mom and pop told me, "Son you gotta make some money,
If you want to use the car to go ridin' next Sunday"
Well I didn't go to work, told the boss I was sick
"Well you can't use the car 'cause you didn't work a lick"

I'm gonna take two weeks, gonna have a fine vacation
I'm gonna take my problem to the United Nations
Well I called my congressman and he said Quote:
"I'd like to help you son but you're too young to vote"

DONE!

POM,

A Jewish Apple Cake?

DONE!

KAREN...

You have never had a RVC?

First to find out if you can have a piece

A red velvet cake recipe from our forum.
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
•1/2 cup shortening
•1 1/2 cups sugar
•2 eggs
•2 tablespoons cocoa
•1 1/2 oz red food coloring
•1 teaspoon salt
•2 1/2 cups flour
•1 teaspoon vanilla
•1 cup buttermilk
•1 teaspoon soda
•1 tablespoons vinegar
Preparation:
Cream shortening; beat in sugar gradually. Add eggs, one at a time; beat well after each addition. Make paste of cocoa and food coloring; add to creamed mixture. Add salt, flour and vanilla alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Sprinkle soda over vinegar; pour vinegar over batter. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Bake in 3 8-inch pans or 2 9-inch pans for 30 minutes at 350°.

And a glass of lemonade?

DONE!

LH,

How's about a cake sampler platter?

DONE!

CM,

A slice for you and a cup of coffee.

DONE.

pomtzu
07-28-2010, 06:21 PM
I thought red velvet cake originated at Eaton department store of Canada in the 1950's.

Actually it was supposed to have been popular at some fancy hotel in NY in the 1920's, but where it originally came from, I don't know.

slick
07-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Does this mean we can have our cake and eat it too?
Well I guess that will be a cake walk!
Won't that be a slice.
It would the icing on the cake.

Ok, Ok, I'm having a crumby day. Got a lot on my plate.

Oh please, I'll stop now. No cake for me. I'll just have Mocha Frap please. :D

RICHARD
07-28-2010, 08:36 PM
Oh please, I'll stop now. No cake for me. I'll just have Mocha Frap please. :D

One Mocha Frap...
Remember, there is always someone having a WORSER time than you are having....

DONE?;)

Pinot's Mom
07-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Ok, first order of business....Red Velvet Cake is a a devil's food cake originally. It was a signature at the Waldorf Astoria in New York in the 1920's. Eaton's department store in Canada had a recipe in the 40's and 50's, but it was not original. As far as it being southern; that came from the movie Steel Magnolias.

Now, I'd love blueberry cake, please. A vodka and lemonade would be nice with that, thanks! I have no access to my kitchen (as some of you may have read in Pinot's post;)).

RICHARD
07-28-2010, 10:32 PM
Ok, first order of business....Red Velvet Cake is a a devil's food cake originally. It was a signature at the Waldorf Astoria in New York in the 1920's. Eaton's department store in Canada had a recipe in the 40's and 50's, but it was not original. As far as it being southern; that came from the movie Steel Magnolias.

Now, I'd love blueberry cake, please. A vodka and lemonade would be nice with that, thanks! I have no access to my kitchen (as some of you may have read in Pinot's post;)).

One Vodka and lemonade and a slice of blueberry cake!

Thanks for the info!

DONE!

Catherinedana
07-29-2010, 07:23 AM
OOOOooo Cake! I haven't had cake in quite a while. . .

I'd like chocolate and vanilla swirl pound cake (the end piece) with a scoop of chocolate chip mint ice cream. I get the feeling that I may have requested this at Thursday's before. . unless I'm having a voo ja day!

smokey the elder
07-29-2010, 08:15 AM
The recipe for the red velvet cake at the Waldorf Astoria was supposedly "top secret" for awhile, but it seems simple enough to have been "reverse engineered". My grandmother used to make something called "wacky cake" which was a variant on sour cream cake; I suspect vinegar and baking soda were involved; the CO2 acts as the leavening agent. The cake was darker than chocolate, as I recall, and very moist.

RICHARD
07-29-2010, 09:03 AM
The recipe for the red velvet cake at the Waldorf Astoria was supposedly "top secret" for awhile, but it seems simple enough to have been "reverse engineered". My grandmother used to make something called "wacky cake" which was a variant on sour cream cake; I suspect vinegar and baking soda were involved; the CO2 acts as the leavening agent. The cake was darker than chocolate, as I recall, and very moist.

Your GMA wasn't blinded by science!:D

Wacky cake? you have to love that!

CD,

Choco and Vanilla pc.....with mint choco chip Ice cream?

DONE!

lvpets2002
07-29-2010, 09:16 AM
:) Yum Yum Red Velvet for me too.. Let see could I have a glass of ButterMilk with that please.. Yes Orc I said ButterMilk.. Just wait until you try some.. Its good for the bacteria in the mouth & body.. :D

Red velvet for me, please and I will start decaf coffee

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/13/Red_velvet_cake_slice.jpg/250px-Red_velvet_cake_slice.jpg

Catherinedana
07-29-2010, 09:41 AM
Wacky cake? you have to love that!

CD,

Choco and Vanilla pc.....with mint choco chip Ice cream?

DONE!

I do love the idea of Wacky cake!! If you bought that in Amsterdam, it might truly contain a secret ingredient!! I'll have that instead!! Or is it too late to change my order?

pomtzu
07-29-2010, 09:50 AM

Oh yeah - I remember that. I had the recipe at one time - a friend had given it to me. She called it Crazy Cake tho, and yes - it was very moist.

Puckstop31
07-29-2010, 11:06 AM
Carrot Cake PWNS. :p

---

Barkeep dude. BEER! NOW!

Dealing with a client having a denial of service attack is....fun.

Lady's Human
07-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Well, being that the barkeep has apparently been off into the L+F, I'll have to sub.

One cold beer, DONE!

Have fun with the cyberwar. Gotta love the kiddies.

smokey the elder
07-29-2010, 03:07 PM
I do love the idea of Wacky cake!! If you bought that in Amsterdam, it might truly contain a secret ingredient!! I'll have that instead!! Or is it too late to change my order?

"I'll have some of that secret ingredient, Bones!":D

Lady's Human
07-29-2010, 03:14 PM
:eek:

STE, I'm SHOCKED, SHOCKED, I say!

(psst.....why do you THINK the L+F is so scary?)

RICHARD
07-29-2010, 03:59 PM
:eek:

STE, I'm SHOCKED, SHOCKED, I say!

(psst.....why do you THINK the L+F is so scary?)

I am here....I was looking for something in there.....:confused::eek:

DUMB!;)

Lady's Human
07-29-2010, 04:07 PM
I am here....I was looking for something in there.....:confused::eek:

DUMB!;)

It was lost in the Purple Haze.

RICHARD
07-29-2010, 05:46 PM
It was lost in the Purple Haze.

:eek::eek:

http://www.kissthisguy.com/18misheard.htm

:D

I always laugh when I hear PH...;)

cassiesmom
08-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Today, August 5 is National Waffle Day ... could I please have mine with strawberries and whipped cream on it?