PDA

View Full Version : Trash Can Cats

Bonny
07-23-2010, 09:36 PM
At work we have two rubber trash cans near our picnic shelter. A family was having a picnic one day in the shelter & fed a local cat in town that was doing some begging.

The last week or so I would look down at the shelter & the lids would be on the trash cans while hoisting up the flag. After giving a tour that same day the lids were off the cans. I put them back on.

Then later that day the lids were off again & there was the local town cat with three of her buddies. I am going the cats can't get those lids off can they? :confused:

Well they can & do pop the lids off. The local town cat stands on the picnic table bench, takes her front paws & pushes the lids up & they fall off. Then her & her friends climb in & help themselves. They are crafty cats for sure.:eek:

moosmom
07-24-2010, 07:32 AM
Cats are very smart!! They'll do whatever it takes to survive. It's sad that some HAVE to.

Marigold2
07-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Poor babies. Maybe someone can at least leave water out for them in this horrid hot weather.

moosmom
07-24-2010, 11:09 AM
Great idea, Marigold2!! Maybe put some ice cubes in the water dishes.

catmandu
07-24-2010, 02:38 PM
That is a coincedence as My Friend Helen from the Animal Welfare Association just brought some dry food Avo Derm for The Porch Cats along with some Whiskas!:love::love:
That is so nice of her and we are sure that the Hungry Ones will gobble that up , and Avo Derm is a high quality high protein food.
Good Luck to Your Trash Can Cats!!:love::love:
Those Poor Cats need all the help that they can get:love::love:

Randi
07-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Leaving water out for them is what you need to do. Put it in the shade somewhere and not a place where lots of people walk by. Thanks for helping them out! :)

I hope someone check the trash cans before they are emptied! :eek:

Bonny
07-24-2010, 05:33 PM
The cats are all owned by people in the small town. They all have homes to go to. It is just that someone fed one of the cats & put the left over food they didn't want to eat into the trash cans & the lid blew off of one of the cans. It is hard to keep the lid on one of the cans anyhow. When the lid blew off the cats discovered the discarded food. Now they are always checking for discarded food & push the lids off themselves. There is a wonderful spring near the museum with fresh water in it that runs continuously so there is always water for them to drink. I just can't get over how smart these cats are at figuring out how to push those lids off. In this small unincorporated town people let their cats roam free. It is nothing like the bigger cities where you have to keep them leashed.

catmandu
07-25-2010, 08:14 AM
We have people up the street who take that attitude and let their Big Tom Cats roam :( and they often come here to feed as the food is good.
Now they , thanks to Helen Our Friend from Animal Welfare will have lots of dry to much on.:love:
Yes Our Cats can be so clever especially regarding food.:love: