PDA

View Full Version : Needing advice re my Ellie-Mae

carole
07-21-2010, 04:41 AM
Most of you know the ongoing saga of my poor wee Ellie, she has been very unwell again, and this after two weeks of being really good,she has chronic gingivitis /stomatitis,we tried her on a new antibiotic, which was a disaster, poor wee girl vomited all her food up all day long, so was taken off that, she has just had her injection tonight, so hope that makes her feel good for a while.

The vet is talking about extraction of all her teeth now, he was hesitant at suggesting it himself, but has done some research and feels it might be an option for her, however i am really in two minds about this, my research also say's it often does not fix the problem, is traumatic for the cat, a big expense, with no guarantee's.

If i thought for one moment, this would cure her, and make her painfree, i would not hesitate at all, i would do anything to make her painfree, however i just cannot put her through this, if it is not going to work, i really don't know what to do, i feel so confused and worried about doing the right thing for her.

I guess i am asking if anyone has done this with their cat or know's of anyone with good results, i need more facts before i go ahead with something so drastic as this.

The alternative is not good either, we keep up with the steroids, which do have long term effects on the organs, the antibiotics now and then and really the truth is i will have to Put her to sleep eventually,however if i go ahead with the extraction, she could go through all of this for nothing and we end up with the same result,there are more risks for her to have this procedure as well because she has this stomatitis ,last dental procedure she got the cat flu after it, even though she is vaccinated, and nearly died as she was so ill, this can happen as they are stressed and low immunity apparently,and the cat flu virus lies dormant but under these conditions rears it's ugly head again, anyhow any advice, opinions are alway's valued by me from my fellow pters, i know i will have to make the decision for my wee girl eventually either way.

Thanks for listening.

moosmom
07-21-2010, 06:48 AM
Carole,

it often does not fix the problem, is traumatic for the cat, a big expense, with no guarantee's.

There is your answer. I always ask myself when a situation arises what guarantees there are and what quality of life will my cat have with no teeth. If there are no guarantees and it will only cause my cats pain and stress, then I know I have my answer.

You and Ellie Mae will be in my thoughts and prayers. Know that whatever you decide will be the right decision for you both.

Love and hugs,

Donna and fur crew

Sonia59
07-21-2010, 07:47 AM
I do not have this experience, and I won't suggest anything, but I know that some people have done extraction of all teeth, here on PT and elsewhere, and kitties seem happy and healthy, after recovery and adaptation. I have never that it could fail. I am sure more advice will come.

Medusa
07-21-2010, 07:51 AM
I'm of the school of thought that you should trust your instincts, Carole. If you feel that she may go through this for nothing, that there probably will be no improvement, then I'd probably not do it. However, I do know that Jen Luckenbach has had success w/having all teeth extracted in some of her cats and w/good success, too. Perhaps PM her and she can give you more info. Whatever you decide, we know that it'll be the right decision b/c I really think that there is no wrong decision here. You're looking out for Ellie-Mae's best interests and wanting to cause her the least amount of pain as possible. Keep the faythe, my friend. :love:

Pinot's Mom
07-21-2010, 08:45 AM
Carole, I don't have this experience, either. My tendency is also to listen to your gut feeling. Only you and Ellie Mae are there, and you are the only one who can truly tell the situation to make the decision. I will not give my instinct, as it would serve no purpose. Please know my thoughts and prayers are with you, and I'll support whole heartedly any decision you make.:love:

Catty1
07-21-2010, 09:09 AM
Also - ask the vet how this has worked on other cats in the same situation as Ellie Mae.

Prayers for you and that beautiful girl.:love:

Anikaca77
07-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Carole, I don't have this experience, either. My tendency is also to listen to your gut feeling. Only you and Ellie Mae are there, and you are the only one who can truly tell the situation to make the decision. I will not give my instinct, as it would serve no purpose. Please know my thoughts and prayers are with you, and I'll support whole heartedly any decision you make.:love:

I agree as well. My prays and thoughts are with you and Ellie-Mae.

dehlers43
07-21-2010, 10:37 AM
No experience here with extracting teeth on purpose but a bit with a kitty with no teeth.... :)
Percy, our family cat when I was a child, must have had gingivitis or some other gum disease - all her teeth fell out, one by one. I know she lived at least 4 years with no teeth. She was an outdoor kitty and was quite the hunter. Having no teeth never even slowed her down...I remember one morning she stood howling at the back door with a huge dead gopher at her feet...she always brought her conquests home so we could ooh and aah and tell her what a good kitty she was. LOL
Percy lived to be almost 17 which is pretty dang good for an outdoor kitty.

My point is she seemed so much happier after all her teeth were gone. I know any procedure is stressful for kitties but they do have much better pain meds for cats these days......
Paws crossed here for you and Ellie-Mae.....

krazyaboutkatz
07-21-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm of the school of thought that you should trust your instincts, Carole. If you feel that she may go through this for nothing, that there probably will be no improvement, then I'd probably not do it. However, I do know that Jen Luckenbach has had success w/having all teeth extracted in some of her cats and w/good success, too. Perhaps PM her and she can give you more info. Whatever you decide, we know that it'll be the right decision b/c I really think that there is no wrong decision here. You're looking out for Ellie-Mae's best interests and wanting to cause her the least amount of pain as possible. Keep the faythe, my friend. :love:

I totaly agree. Whatever you decide to do I'll support you. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Laura's Babies
07-21-2010, 11:43 AM
I have no experience either and I also say follow what your gut says.

(Didn't catmandu also have one that had to have all their teeth pulled?)

lvpets2002
07-21-2010, 12:09 PM
:love: I aggree & would for sure ask.. Lots Prayers & Huggss from TX..
Also - ask the vet how this has worked on other cats in the same situation as Ellie Mae.

Prayers for you and that beautiful girl.:love:

carole
07-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Thank you everyone, i really appreciate the input so much, the thing is i know cats can do very well despite having no teeth, that is not the problem here, the problem is having the procedure is high risk for her, also she may well just have the same problem after it all, that is where my huge dilemma is.

I trust my vet completely , 100 per cent, however he is also going by research on the internet, he has not said that he has done this before for this problem, so we are treading in to the unknown.

I really am caught between a rock and hard place, because her life now is up and down,she has good weeks and bad and this is a very painful condition, and we are treating it the only way we can, with constant steroids,which of course have long term side effects, her injections,however there is no doubt that she does suffer, and that concerns me greatly, however other than this she leads a good life, she seems content enough except when she is having bad flare ups.

It really is a very cruel disease IMO.

The internet tells me there has only been 30 per cent of cats that have improved, that really is not very high,and does not give me much faith.

The trauma for her is the whole operation, after that i am sure she would be ok,but again not necessarily cured or even any better,it would seem awful to put her through so much with added risk, if this turned out to be the case.

So you see i just have no idea what to do, i will talk it over more with my vet when he gets back from the Uk, there is no urgency at this stage, we do have time on our sides, so that is something.

At the moment i am steering towards not having it done, i just don't like the odds or the risks ,but then i have to wonder how long Ellie can survive like this, everything i read say's extraction is the very last resort, there are other medications out there ,but they have not been trialed enough, and i am not making her a guinea pig.

For my vet to suggest it though, he must be thinking we are at the last resort stage, he initially was not for it either, but after doing some research he told me last night that he thought it might well be the way to go for her.

I have to tell you as we were leaving a couple arrived with the big dog a rottweiler (sp) poor baby could not walk, i thought she had been injured, but he said no she is old and i think it is her time, i patted her and she looked up at me with such a sweet look on her face, i could not hold my tears back, not in front of her owners though,she was so beautiful, and i felt so sad for her and her owners, obviously a well loved and looked after pet, i was thinking about her quite a bit during the night, so if she went to the RB, i hope she went peacefully.:love:

phesina
07-21-2010, 08:06 PM
Oh, Carole, I don't know what to suggest with regard to your dilemma. I'm near tears myself reading your message, it's so full of your love and concern and care for dear Ellie Mae.

I think you are doing right in learning all you can about the prospects for the different choices. Talk it over as much as you need to with your vet whom you trust. Tell him all about your concerns and your fears. Ask every question you can think of and keep asking. Ask others, as you are doing here, and get all the information you can.

You and Ellie Mae will make the best decision you can when the time is right.

Carole and Ellie-Mae, God bless you both and your family and your good vet. And the rottweiler and his family, too. May the sweet doggie be resting peacefully by the Rainbow Bridge waiting for his beloved ones to join him, one fine day..

Love, {{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} and ~~~~~PURRS~~~~~,
Pat, Sydney, Poppy, Elmer, Bob, and Sparkler

carole
07-21-2010, 10:14 PM
thank you from the bottom of my heart Phesina for that lovely message, it really comforted me ,i am finding it so difficult to make any decision , and i will do as you all have suggested, research, talk it over with me vet more before i do anything ,you can be assured of that.

Ellie Mae is a very special and unique kitty, i have never owned one quite like her, she is a fiesty lil madam at times, but not with us, mostly other cats, including her own daughter, but she is full of purrsonality,and that is what i love about her so much, in the pic in my siggy below she almost looks like she is smiling to me, one would never know to look at her what is really going on , would they?

She has lost a little weight since our last visit but it is not major, so that is a good thing, however being on so much steroids you would expect her to become rather fat, not happening, good in some ways, as diabetes is often the end result of that, but again, she is holding her own, she is a little cat in stature anyhow, so we don't want her like my other two girls,rather tubby lol.

At least i have time to think about it all and that sure helps, today she is doing well, she is often very much better after her injection but that only lasts about two weeks, i guess she is not in the same amount of pain, i cannot think of anything worse than having a continuous sore mouth and being hungry and not being able to eat,it so saddens me this lil girl had such an awful life for six years of her life before i got her, i am only happy to say that because i rescued her from that awful woman, she is alive and getting the best i can give her, she would have died ages ago a very slow and painful death, of starvation, it does not even bear thinking about does it?

katladyd
07-21-2010, 11:08 PM
Thank you for taking such good care of pretty Ellie-Mae! She needs you and you need her! You will both work it out together.