PDA

View Full Version : Wrist Ganglion Cyst... I haz one.. :(

Husky_mom
07-20-2010, 04:56 PM
like a month ago my wrist hurt for a bit... I thought I bumped or something.. then a lil lump appeared.. and I was sure then I had indeed bumped and that was the "bruise" without the color..

well.. still today I have it.. I started getting worried as it didnīt swollen down.. not that big either but it does hurt when I bend my hand either way (up-down)..

this past sunday I was told it was a cyst.. I got reaaaaally worried then, considering my state... but the I went to the universal pedia (google)..lol... and look for it..

it said it normal.. nothing really specific triggers it.. but most likely a rupture or something and fluid accumulates, hence the lump, and since itīs in a movable section.. the more it moves the more fluid gets in.. I mean in a constant way not like unstoppable inflation.. lol..

it wonīt go away, but it might, you can get it aspirated or surgically removed.. but since the only con is that it hurts when you apply pressure many let it be...

it sucks.. doesnīt hurt a whole lot but sure is annoying and I hate seeing it.. lol.. I sure wish mine was one that out of the blue went away.. soon..

Karen
07-20-2010, 05:04 PM
I had one surgically removed years ago, as it was interfering with certain hand movements. Just an annoyance, and the surgery was no big deal.

Grace
07-20-2010, 05:05 PM
Old wives treatment - hit it with a book.

I have had several through the years, and most of them disappeared after a period of time.

Karen
07-20-2010, 05:15 PM
Old wives treatment - hit it with a book.

I have had several through the years, and most of them disappeared after a period of time.

I was told that by a doc, but he said "It's a fine line between hitting it hard enough to break up the cyst, and hitting so hard you break some of the fine bones in your hand ... and as I make my living with my hands - my right hand specifically, I went with the surgery rather than take the risk!

Husky_mom
07-20-2010, 05:29 PM
lol.. I too read about the book thing.. sounds interesting.. but perhaps more painful..

mine is on my left hand so I could go to town with the book.. but wouldnīt want to hurt it more than helping it go away...

anyway.. I might hold off till baby arrives to get that and another thing done at same time... seems like Iīm growing stuff all over.. lol..

cassiesmom
07-20-2010, 07:18 PM
I haz one too and it hurtz a lot - sometimez I wish I could just thwap it with a book to make it go away. I need a steroid injection but I am stalling because I don't want to miss work.

Edited to add: it's in the bend of my right wrist and I'm right-handed.

Daisy and Delilah
07-20-2010, 07:59 PM
I had one removed when I was 18(400 years ago ;)). It only hurt when I first got it but eventually didn't hurt at all. The scar I have is in the folds of my wrist and invisible. I understand they have "fingers" that can wrap around veins, capillaries, etc. That would probably cause more discomfort. Good luck with it!!

Scooter's Mom
07-20-2010, 08:08 PM
it wonīt go away, but it might, you can get it aspirated or surgically removed.. but since the only con is that it hurts when you apply pressure many let it be...

I have one on my left wrist. It "sprouted" when I was just a kid. I had it aspirated in June 1990... and again had it surgically removed in August 2000. It's back again. Because it grew in around the tendons of my hand, it can be quite painful at times... and since I do data entry for my job, it can really flare up often.

Hope yours doesn't get like mine.

Karen
07-20-2010, 08:12 PM
I have one on my left wrist. It "sprouted" when I was just a kid. I had it aspirated in June 1990... and again had it surgically removed in August 2000. It's back again. Because it grew in around the tendons of my hand, it can be quite painful at times... and since I do data entry for my job, it can really flare up often.

Hope yours doesn't get like mine.

That's why I had mine removed, so the 'sac' would not be there to just refill with fluid again. I have a little scar on my hand, but it never came back, and it has been 20+ years, so I think I am safe!

Catty1
07-20-2010, 10:01 PM
I had one on my wrist several years ago...appeared after three weeks of tons of typing at work!

The doc I saw said it could be removed, but that it would likely go away on its own.

I don't know when it happened - but one day I looked and it wasn't there any more! :)

Scooter's Mom
07-20-2010, 11:34 PM
That's why I had mine removed, so the 'sac' would not be there to just refill with fluid again. I have a little scar on my hand, but it never came back, and it has been 20+ years, so I think I am safe!

After the aspiration and then the surgery 10 years later ... I just don't think I want to do anything else with it. I have still got the name of my hand surgeon in my address book, just in case I decide to have it removed again!

(They said having it surgically removed would give me a 90% chance of it staying gone - but my body grows cysts and tumors... so of course it came back!)

Husky_mom
07-21-2010, 09:19 AM
not that Iīm glad many of you have/had them.. but sure now I donīt feel odd about having one..;)

in a way is nice to hear your troubles, outcomes and ways to get rid of em or not... gives me more of a wide panorama of the situation.. thanks for your inputs :)

hopefully mine decides to go away..lol.. I wish...

if not Iīll have to wait till end of year.. so hopefully thatīs plenty of time for it to get bored and leave ;)

Felicia's Mom
07-21-2010, 11:05 AM
I've had one on my left wrist since 1991. At work one day I accidently hit it on the edge of a desk. It hurt for a long time. Now it doesn't hurt or bother my wrist movement. Sometimes it is smooth and other times(like now) it looks like a bone sticking up.

lvpets2002
07-21-2010, 11:14 AM
:) Isabele I would ask your doctor about it - since you are pregant.. You dont want problems with holding & handling the new baby.. Its better to be on the safe side..

Husky_mom
07-21-2010, 11:18 AM
:) Isabele I would ask your doctor about it - since you are pregant.. You dont want problems with holding & handling the new baby.. Its better to be on the safe side..

thanks.. already did ;).. thatīs why any procedure gets to be put off till after...

it doesnīt bothers me that much.. itīs more like a sore muscle type pain.. and the bone sticking out description fits to a t.. lol.. I guess thatīs why it annoys me the most.. seeing it like if it want to pop out..

nonetheless Iīll get a 2nd opinion from my gyn.. ;)

sirrahbed
07-21-2010, 12:24 PM
I think I must have one. Many years ago I showed it to a doctor and he told me I could smash it with a book - I thought he was making fun of me:rolleyes: Anyway - mine hurts off and on but I have never asked about it again since the "book" doctor!! thankfully, it is on my left wrist and so when it hurts, I don't have to use it much.

Husky_mom
07-26-2010, 01:01 PM
update: haha.. well.. it started to get hard instead of soft jelly type.. so I kept thinking about the book method.. didnīt do it but kept thinking about it... I did smacked it with the remote and it did hurt.. and it wasnīt that hard smacking.. so I desisted on the book..

the next day.. well.. thatīs another story.. I squished it with my thumb and pressed as hard as I could... IT DID GOT SMALLER!!!.. so I think it worked.. later that night it swollen up a bit.. so I squished it a bit more.. and until today it hasnīt grown back.. it still is a tiny lump but very small. which I might try getting rid of in a day or two ;)..

at first I thought I might have buried it in my wrist rather than squish.. but my movement has not been affected at all.. nor it hurts.. so.. Iīm pleased so far.. hehe..

btw.. it wasnīt that hard to squish.. a bit gross but think about a pimple.. lol

sirrahbed
07-26-2010, 02:06 PM
I can "bury" mine in my wrist also - and the pain is helped for a time. What odd things these are!!

krazyaboutkatz
07-26-2010, 05:39 PM
I've never heard of this before and I also work with my hands so hopefully I'll never have this problem.

Isabele, I'm glad to hear that your's is starting to improve and get smaller. Hopefully now it'll go away on it's own and never come back.:)