PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE Canyon puppy Riley can stay with climber Zak!

columbine
07-20-2010, 01:31 PM
http://www.tonic.com/article/man-pulls-a-reverse-lassie-rescues-puppy-from-canyon/

Now that's guts. :eek:

Love, Columbine

Taz_Zoee
07-20-2010, 01:39 PM
Wow! I am in tears. What a great guy!!

MoonandBean
07-20-2010, 02:35 PM
Great guy! I have to find "puppy" on Facebook. I wish him a lifetime of love and a full belly :love:

Asiel
07-20-2010, 07:42 PM
That was the saddest story I've ever read . That guy is a real hero for saving that dog, not many people would care enough to do what he did....

And what did we just read about people not caring about anything but their own needs...kinda puts a new outlook on things when you read something like this article.

lizbud
07-21-2010, 04:39 PM
What a great guy.:) I am so glad to know that the pup didn't die alone
and sick like that. Also happy to hear that the wife said they have finally decided to give him a name, Shadow.:)

columbine
07-21-2010, 08:47 PM
Puppy/Shadow has a Facebook page! (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Puppy/113492915365713)

Apparently he'd been shot at some point too. The vet guesses he's between 8 months and a year old.

Love, Columbine

dab_20
07-22-2010, 12:28 PM
What a great story :) I haven't even heard about this until now and that video is my local news. What guts that guy had and it's horrible no one was willing to help him :(

Good luck to Puppy to find a new, loving and caring home.

Miranda_Rae
07-22-2010, 12:36 PM
OMG that just gave me the shivers!! he is such a cute puppy. I hope Puppy finds a good home. The people that put him there should rot (and thats putting it nicely)

Catty1
07-22-2010, 09:10 PM
UPDATE from the Facebook page:
Update on July 17, 2010 VET VISITS: Shadow went to the vet on Tuesday. He got his first round of vaccines & a general check up. He's up to 35 lbs now! He was under 20 when Zak found him. The vet was very happy with his progress. His lungs seem to be doing a lot better now. His feet are continuing to heal...

lvpets2002
07-23-2010, 09:39 AM
:love: Aweee such a Great Story with a very happy ending.. I cannot get over how Zack was able to get the puppy out of the canon... What a Hero for sure.. I sure hope he keeps the puppy..

sev116
07-27-2010, 05:54 PM
I can't possibly fathom why someone would put a puppy at the bottom of a canyon..

Taz_Zoee
07-27-2010, 06:25 PM
I can't possibly fathom why someone would put a puppy at the bottom of a canyon..

Agreed. I also can't fathom how a teenager could bash a dog in the face with a baseball bat, but that has happened too (see Helping Johnny Walker thread).

I saw another update on Facebook and Zack took "puppy" to California to visit friends. He's doing great!! :D

Vette
07-29-2010, 03:16 PM
Poor dog. glad Zack found him when he did.
be cool if they do a follow up story if they adopt him out or keep him :D

Taz_Zoee
07-29-2010, 04:08 PM
Poor dog. glad Zack found him when he did.
be cool if they do a follow up story if they adopt him out or keep him :D

I am following him on Facebook. Zack and Michelle still have him. It looks like he has several names. Puppy/Riley/Shadow. :D

Taz_Zoee
07-30-2010, 05:44 PM
Just updated on Facebook....

Here is what they wrote:

The question everyone wants to know: Are we keeping puppy? YES!

We were reading through the comments (you all are so wonderfully kind) & it looks like everyone wants to know our decision on keeping puppy. The answer is, YES!

When Zak first found the puppy he was focused on figuring out how to get him out of the deep canyon & then getting him healthy & finding him a loving home. We already had a dog & 2 cats. Our lives are in turmoil right now with us opening a new business fairly recently. We sold our house a year ago in California & moved out to Salt Lake City, Utah. We are renting & are not very settled here yet. So, we thought the best thing to do was to find him a good home after he recovered. He was in really bad shape, as you can see from the photos. We weren’t sure if he had distemper or any other diseases or problems. So, we figured we would keep him until we found all that out.

In the process of nursing him back to health, we fell in love…. We had no idea he was going to fit in so well in our family. He has made himself right at home & loves our other dog, Kohi. Kohi loves him too. We think it would be too hard to separate him at this point. We are all so attached to each other.

We appreciate all the offers from people to adopt him. I’m sure you would have given him a wonderful home! Good luck to all of you in finding a dog. There are a lot of special dogs out there that would be honored to be part of your families I’m sure.

Puppy’s name is now officially, Riley. First we called him, Puppy because we figured the new owners would want to name him. Then he became my little Shadow. I really liked the name, Shadow, but it just didn’t fit his personality for some reason. So, now he is our little Riley boy.

Riley has found his “forever” home with us. He just happened to know it before we did! Thanks for all your support.

Puppy Hugs & Kisses xoxoxoxox,

Michelle, Zak, Kohi & Riley (puppy)

The attached picture was at the bottom of this with this caption:
Kohi & Riley... Who gets the orange toy?

blue
07-31-2010, 01:35 AM
I climbed when I was younger, I think I can understand why this guy did what he did.

Thanks for posting the story.

lizbud
08-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Wahoo, what a great update.:D So, his name is Riley and they are
keeping him. I was hoping Riley would love them & they him. I am so
happy this all worked out. Both pups look so happy together.:)

CountryWolf07
08-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Wahoo! :) Wonderful news. I figured that'd happen. It's fate.

Pinot's Mom
08-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Yay Riley (I said Shadow on FB-didn't know there was another name change!) - WELCOME HOME!! :D:love:

K9karen
08-04-2010, 10:02 PM
A wonderful decision you'll never regret, I'm sure. I'm know Riley will undoubtedly show his appreciation forever too. I'm so thrilled he fits right in with Kohl and kittie. He looks so happy. Thanks SO much for sharing your story with us, and for the good news!

Alysser
08-04-2010, 10:15 PM
I knew they were gonna wind up keeping him, it was inevitable. What a cute name, I am so glad Riley finally found a place where he belong - certainly not at the bottom of a Canyon.