PDA

View Full Version : My trail system is in shambles, ....UPDATE FOR RANDI

kokopup
07-20-2010, 10:33 AM
i live on 20 acres of a heavily wooded land. Over the last 15 years I have built a network of hiking/biking trails that Koko and I walk several times a day. Last week we contracted to have all of our very mature pine removed. The land is a mixture of Pine, Sweet Gum, Oak, Maple, Elm, Hickory and Dogwood. They have removed all of my Pine and Sweet Gum so the trees that remain have some damage that should resolve in a year or so. My problem is the tons of branches that covers the ground and the old trails. I guess initally I will just clear the limbs that covers the old trail. This fall I will try to turn the remaining limbs into chips and mulch. Doesn't look like i will be getting bored this fall. Right now I am up to my ears in drywall dust, because I am finishing another room in my basement.

UPDATE for RANDI
Pictures of house from woods and drive way. One shot of trail section not effected by loggers. One picture taken from front porch.

Randi
07-20-2010, 10:56 AM
That's quite a bit of land you have there, and it's nice to have some trails for hiking. :) Those limps of wood... couldn't you use them for firewood, or at least to start the fire?

If you need help clearing and chipping it all, you might want to get in touch with Willow Oak aka Daniel Taylor. ;) He bought a tractor and a chipper recently and travels to Alabama to work sometimes.

Any pictures of your property? Hint, hint!!

Edit*

OMG! That looks really nice! It seems you're living in the middle of a wood! And your house has a porch - AND a first floor, how cosy! You can't ever get stressed there! :) I've always wanted to live in a house with a porch. I'm envious! We don't have houses with a porch in Denmark.

Thanks for sharing!

lvpets2002
07-20-2010, 12:26 PM
:) WoW I just love your house & the country site.. I want first bids if you sell..:D

Grace
07-20-2010, 01:04 PM
Another WOW!!

Gorgeous setting, and the house is spectacular. That porch is fantastic. Thanks ever so much for posting the pictures :)

Taz_Zoee
07-20-2010, 01:42 PM
Amazing!! My mom would love your house (I do too!), but she's always wanted a big wrap around porch like that. And you are so secluded (or so it seems), that's the best!!!

pomtzu
07-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Beautiful place you have there Bill. I'm so envious of the woodlands, and that porch is fantastic. :D

kokopup
07-20-2010, 10:09 PM
Thanks everyone for the compliments on my place. This plan had always been our dream house but because of work was never settled enough to build it. After a 5 year project, the last 3 being in the Netherlands i ask GE to leave me alone for a year so I could build a house. I contracted the framing,
heating and air, plumbing and Sheetrocking. The rest of the house I did everything myself and have been working on it now for 15 years. We love our porches a lot but now I'm working on a 400 sq ft covered patio in the back under my sunporch. We often wonder what 2 people need with a house and property this size and envy those in garden homes. I guess the grass is always greener.;)

We are lucky to be on acreage and all my neighbors are on large acreage also. We are very secluded in the country but are also within 15 miles from some of the best shopping in the southeast. When we moved to Chelsea, 15 years ago, we were getting away from the congestion but now it is moving out to us.:mad:

Grace
07-20-2010, 10:15 PM
Are you from Alabama - originally?

kokopup
07-20-2010, 11:10 PM
grace

Are you from Alabama - originally?

Born and Raised in Alabama. Lived a third of my life away School, Navy, Work.
I have lived in many states and only considered retiring in Virginia (Roanoke) other than Alabama. Roanoke's Appalachian terrain is very similar to the area
where I grew up in Birmingham.(Bluff Park)

K9karen
07-21-2010, 12:11 AM
Awesome house and property! I love seeing where other people live. My dream is to have a working farm with lots of dogs, cats, llamas, alpacas, goats, horses... well, I can dream!