PDA

View Full Version : What Is It They Say About Karma

lizbud
07-19-2010, 07:32 PM
EMT accused of ignoring dying NYC woman is killed
Published - Jul 19 2010 03:46PM EST

By TOM HAYS - Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK — Jason Green had already gained notoriety last year as a New York City paramedic accused of walking away from an ailing pregnant woman who later died.

He regained the spotlight again Monday because of his violent death _ gunned down on the streets of Manhattan after a fight outside a nightclub.

New York Police Department spokesman Paul Browne said Monday that there was no evidence that the brutal slaying early Sunday in the SoHo neighborhood was payback for the death of the pregnant woman. He denied reports that investigators wanted to question her brother.

"There's no interest in any of her family members," he said.

Police, who were still seeking the shooter, were reviewing security videotape of the scene outside the club, Browne said.

Green's attorney, Douglas Rosenthal, said Monday he was "shocked" by the news of the shooting.

His 32-year-old client "was a good guy and a dedicated emergency medical technician," he said. "It's very sad."

The lawyer had defended Green and a co-worker, Melisa Jackson, against allegations stemming from a conflict Dec. 9, 2009, at an Au Bon Pain coffee shop in Brooklyn.

Green and Jackson were on a break while working as dispatchers that morning when it was alleged employees in the shop told them a pregnant cashier, Eutisha Rennix, was having a seizure. Witnesses claimed the pair left without doing anything to help.

The 25-year-old woman, who was six months pregnant, later died at a hospital. Her baby was delivered but died two days later.

The Fire Department suspended Green and Jackson for 30 days without pay before reinstating them. The Brooklyn district attorney's office said Monday that it was still investigating Rennix's death. No charges have been filed.

In an interview this year with The New York Times, Green and Jackson said that Rennix's co-workers never made clear there was an emergency, and that Jackson called a dispatcher for help before they went back to work.

Accusations that the pair callously ignored someone in distress are "all bogus and lies and fabrications," Green said.

Police said Sunday's shooting occurred after a friend of Green's was turned away from the Greenhouse nightclub because he was wearing shorts. While Green, the friend and two women were talking outside, a car with three men inside pulled up and tried to park where they were standing.

An ensuing argument escalated into a fistfight between Green and one of the men that spilled out onto the street, police said. The man pulled out a gun and shot Green two times before the men fled in the car.

moosmom
07-19-2010, 08:20 PM
I read that this morning and was appalled.

In my 20 years as an EMT-I, I never, EVER walked away from a situation, whether I was on the job or not. The stories I could tell you both on and off the job...

Our instructor always told us that no matter what, if we came upon a situation where our skills were needed, it is our duty to make sure we gave the care we were trained to give and the Good Samaritan Law would cover us.

THIS particular situation infuriated me. Not that the guy deserved to get killed over it. But what he failed to do by not helping that woman, walking away knowing FULL WELL the woman was in distress, makes every other EMT out there look bad.

I feel bad for that woman's family and hope charges against the guy's partner are filed. I smell a LAWSUIT brewing.

On the otherhand, this could turn ugly and make all the hard working medical personnel such as EMT's, Paramedics, etc., not want to get involved for fear of being sued.

Marigold2
07-20-2010, 09:23 PM
Karma I wish I could believe in Karma but I don't. I have seen too much evil go unpunished, have seen too many good people stuck down in the prime of their lives.
Life is not fair. Good people get hurt, bad people get rewarded and children get cancer.
All we can do is be good in mind, body and spirit and hope that whatever rules the world smiles upon us and sends us cake and furry friends to love.

moosmom
07-21-2010, 06:55 AM
Marigold2,

VERY well put, my dear!

Asiel
07-21-2010, 01:43 PM
If we had nothing to believe in, we would have a sad world and such an empty life. We see evil and it might sometimes seem to go unpunished but no one knows what the real end will be.
Life is not fair - we are not born with a guarantee that life will be fair or that all of our expectations will be met but sitting around complaining that life isn't fair certainly will not help change it, taking charge of what we expect and want might profit us better.
Bad people as well as good people get hurt, bad people might seem to be rewarded but again we cannot foresee the ending to what will happen yrs down the road
Children get cancer as well as teens, young adults and the elderly - even our loved pets get cancer - again no guarantees were given about life itself.
If all that was needed to bring us joy and happiness was cake and a furry friend life would indeed be sad and boring. Life's challenges are there for us to choose what we do with them, we are the masters of our own destiny.

lvpets2002
07-21-2010, 03:46 PM
:) Yup very well put..

Karma I wish I could believe in Karma but I don't. I have seen too much evil go unpunished, have seen too many good people stuck down in the prime of their lives.
Life is not fair. Good people get hurt, bad people get rewarded and children get cancer.
All we can do is be good in mind, body and spirit and hope that whatever rules the world smiles upon us and sends us cake and furry friends to love.