PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Cat Clips

krazyaboutkatz
07-19-2010, 12:45 PM
Hi everyone.:) I finally found a site that sells plastic cat clips but right now they're only selling them to vets so you'd have to ask your vet to order you some. They're different from the one I have though but they've been proven to work without hurting the cat. Here's the link:http://store.clipnosis.com/default.asp.

pomtzu
07-19-2010, 12:57 PM
I wonder if you could accomplish the same thing with a clothespin, or a small bag clip. As long as it didn't pinch too tight, I can't see why it wouldn't work...

krazyaboutkatz
07-19-2010, 01:01 PM
I wonder if you could accomplish the same thing with a clothespin, or a small bag clip. As long as it didn't pinch too tight, I can't see why it wouldn't work...

I'm sure that you could because I posted another article about this in my kitten thread and they used binder clips that you can buy at an office supply store.

catmandu
07-19-2010, 04:47 PM
I am wondering taht if a Cat is that skittish , woud they sit still to have clips put on them????

Medusa
07-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Well, this is a new one for me! I've never scruffed my cats so I don't know if it would work or not. You've tried them and/or scruffed your cats? If so, w/what results? This is fascinating. :)

katladyd
07-19-2010, 04:58 PM
I've scruffed Ming when I first started giving him his meds. They do stop squirming or struggling immediately! But...you only have one hand free when you do this and you really can't trim claws or give meds with one hand. That is why the clip sounds like a good idea.:)

Taz_Zoee
07-19-2010, 05:45 PM
I'm going to ask at my vet next Tuesday when I take Jax in.
I would think a binder clip would be too strong. I work with those at work and they are usually very tight. I wouldn't try one of those on my cat. I think a clothespin would be less pressure.

We scruff our cats. Although, Bruce doesn't really know how and always does it wrong. He's afraid to hurt them. But he has to scruff Paizly so I can clip her nails. He doesn't let her hang her full body weight, he cradles her bottom on his hand. I can cut Jax's front paws, but his back ones are more of a challenge. I think a clip like this would work perfectly. I could put him in my lap with the clip on and just trim his nails in a few seconds (since his nails are still so small).

Thanks for the link Tracey!! :D

krazyaboutkatz
07-19-2010, 08:55 PM
You're welcome Cindy.:)

Mary, yes I did try this on Saturday and it works.:D The rescue group lady had mentioned that they use a plastic clip to scruff the cats so they will remain calm to trim their nails. I then asked her where she got this but she couldn't remember. Later she gave one to me but it doesn't look like the clips on the website I posted. I used it on my new kittens and they purred the whole time I was trimming their nails. I then used it on both Ziggy and Sky and it also worked on them. Sky becomes very aggressive and growls, hisses, and tries to bite. The clip made him calm so I could trim his nails quickly without any problem. I couldn't believe it. I'll attach a picture of the one I have. I named it a cat binder clip even though that's not really the name of it. It also says Sparta on it so maybe that's who makes it.

happylabs
07-20-2010, 12:11 PM
You're welcome Cindy.:)

Mary, yes I did try this on Saturday and it works.:D The rescue group lady had mentioned that they use a plastic clip to scruff the cats so they will remain calm to trim their nails. I then asked her where she got this but she couldn't remember. Later she gave one to me but it doesn't look like the clips on the website I posted. I used it on my new kittens and they purred the whole time I was trimming their nails. I then used it on both Ziggy and Sky and it also worked on them. Sky becomes very aggressive and growls, hisses, and tries to bite. The clip made him calm so I could trim his nails quickly without any problem. I couldn't believe it. I'll attach a picture of the one I have. I named it a cat binder clip even though that's not really the name of it. It also says Sparta on it so maybe that's who makes it.

That is pretty amazing. I am going to try to do this with just scruffing my 3 to get their nails done. My daughter could help me. It is very difficult to get their nails done and often times I just don't do it.

Laura's Babies
07-20-2010, 01:08 PM
I scruff Giz just so I can brush her calmly! She loves being brushed so much that she won't be still and is always grabbing for the brush. I scruff her to get her neck where she is prone to getting knots.

I scruffed Boo to give her her liquid meds and she didn't fight or anything which amazed me.

Hummmmm, I may try scruffing more after seeing this for the nail clipping when they need doing really bad and are not interested...

Medusa
07-28-2010, 04:53 PM
I just placed an order for these so I'll let you know if/how they work for me. The shipping was as much as the clips!

moosmom
07-28-2010, 04:56 PM
I simply put my cats between my legs with my feet crossed so they can't back out. My cats are very easy to pill and clip nails.

The concept is great. I only wish I had thought of it first. I'd be rich!!!:p

Medusa
07-28-2010, 05:28 PM
I simply put my cats between my legs with my feet crossed so they can't back out. My cats are very easy to pill and clip nails.

The concept is great. I only wish I had thought of it first. I'd be rich!!!:p

I'm not so lucky. Pill, yes. Clip claws, no.

And ain't that the truth!

kitten645
07-28-2010, 10:40 PM
I would think office binder clips would hurt like holy heck!:eek: I've nipped myself a few times and I wouldn't ever even try to clip my skin in there! A chip clip or something like that sounds more reasonable.

Freckles
01-24-2011, 08:48 AM
Any new testimonials for the cat clips?

Medusa
01-24-2011, 09:43 AM
Yodie is the only one that I have trouble w/clipping claws so I bought them mainly for her. She put up such a fuss that the clips wouldn't even stay on! Boy, did the manufacturers see me comin'! Sucker.

moosmom
01-24-2011, 10:28 AM
I check my cat's nails on a weekly basis. I clipped Spike's nails for the first time since I got him in December. When he was at the vet, before I picked him up, they had to sedate him to clip his nails because they had grown into his pads. I was concerned about scar tissue from it. He was such a good boy!!! I showered him with treats.

I only WISH those clips were invented when Molly Rose was still alive. It would've save her and me alot of pain and heartache.:(