PDA

View Full Version : Atkins

happylabs
07-16-2010, 12:02 PM
Anyone here that follows a low carb way of eating. For health reasons I have to lose weight. My doctor suggested I try Atkins to jump start my weight loss.

I read the book about two months ago and started gradually. I have been eating low carb faithfully now for 3 weeks and have lost approximately 10 pounds. They say you should lose more/faster but I am not for rushing things. Also, they say the slower you lose the weight the more apt you are to keep it off.

Just wondered if anyone here was into low carb. I honestly do not miss pasta yet which surprises me because that was one of my main staples.

pomtzu
07-16-2010, 01:21 PM
Have you tried the South Beach diet? I know a woman that did, and she lost a whole lot of weight, almost to the point that I didn't recognize her at first. However, the last I saw her, she had gained most back. Maybe it's something you have to stay on once that you are on it??? :confused:

jennielynn1970
07-16-2010, 01:32 PM
I'm doing a "modified" Atkins diet. I still eat some carbs, but not the breads or the pastas or rices. Just beans and some other veggies. I've been doing pretty good on the diet/lifestyle. I've lost over 15lbs in 1 month, and am happy with that. I know it probably won't keep up at that rate, but I have a lot to lose, so I know that I have a long way to go (about 100 more lbs). I figure if I plateau, I'll go and actually do the Induction program (which I haven't done yet... like I said I'm doing a modified Atkins).

So far, I like it and am satisfied with what I'm eating and how I feel. Cottage cheese has been one of my best friends when it comes to wanting something sweet. I put some mandarin oranges on it, and YUMMMM!

Good luck with your weight loss goals!

happylabs
07-16-2010, 02:24 PM
I'm doing a "modified" Atkins diet. I still eat some carbs, but not the breads or the pastas or rices. Just beans and some other veggies. I've been doing pretty good on the diet/lifestyle. I've lost over 15lbs in 1 month, and am happy with that. I know it probably won't keep up at that rate, but I have a lot to lose, so I know that I have a long way to go (about 100 more lbs). I figure if I plateau, I'll go and actually do the Induction program (which I haven't done yet... like I said I'm doing a modified Atkins).

So far, I like it and am satisfied with what I'm eating and how I feel. Cottage cheese has been one of my best friends when it comes to wanting something sweet. I put some mandarin oranges on it, and YUMMMM!

Good luck with your weight loss goals!

I did induction for 3 weeks. Now I am at the stage where you start to add things back into your diet.

I was very happy to find Breyer's low carb ice cream at Giant yesterday! It only has 4 carbs per 1/2 cup. That was all I needed to satisfy my ice cream craving.

I have a good 70 to lose. I know I will never be the same weight I was when I was younger...98 pounds soaking wet when I graduated from high school in 1978. :D I don't really think I want to be that skinny again anyway. Real women have some curves, right?

Good luck to you too Jen. There is a low carb forum I have been visiting if you would like the link, let me know.

wolfsoul
07-17-2010, 12:20 AM
I have done Atkins a few times (and modified versions, with veggies being my main rather than meat). It works to get weight off FAST, so certainly for health reasons I would try it -- however, once you add carbs back in, the weight comes back faster than it came off. That's the problem with most diets that cut something out completely.
I find I keep weight off better if I choose my carbs wisely. Whole grain HIGH FIBRE carbs in moderation. Lots and lots of fibre..

Good luck!

Laura's Babies
07-17-2010, 07:33 AM
The most important part of any diet is to be committed to lifestyle changes permanently! It does no good to do this if as soon as you reach your goal weight, to go back to eating like you were.. You'll just put it all back on.. I have seen that happen to many times.. I lost that 50 pounds and have maintained it for 2 years so far and have no plans to go back to eating like I was.. Find a diet you enjoy and can stay on..forever.

Marigold2
07-18-2010, 12:34 AM
Since I have diabetes (horrid disease) I watch what I eat all the time.
I also think about what I want most. A cookie or two or a small ice cream later or a bowl of ceral.
I find that when most of my co-workers are eating donuts or cake I get by with a mint or two. It is the small changes you make over time that get the weight off and keep in off.
I don't have a lot of junk food in my house, we snack on veggies or fruit here.
Fast food has never been something we have done. I also try to keep things in the house to eat that don't take long to prepare.
I always have a fruit bowl on my island for a quick snack. Have always had that. Am amazed when I go to friends houses and they have no fruit in the house.
If you go out to eat at any resturant and just look at what people are eating next to you will see why some are heavy and some are not.
Same thing with looking into people's grocery carts. In some people's carts I see a lot of packaged foods, pizza's, frozen processed food, lots of snacks, fried foods, white breads Donuts, cookies, ice cream things like that. We Americans love our food but it does not love us back it kills us when we eat the wrong things over the years.
Best of luck to you. Even a small impovement in your eating is a great thing.