PDA

View Full Version : OY.... what to do?! #71 Sebastian Update

jennielynn1970
07-15-2010, 06:57 PM
Well, let's see, we can keep him.

We can try to find out if he came from the local farm.

We can keep him.

We can see if anyone at camp is missing a 5 week old kitten (doubtful).

We can keep him.

Ok... so I guess we can keep him.

So now, what to name him? BARNEY maybe?!:love:

jennielynn1970
07-15-2010, 06:59 PM
OH yeah, Dave found a kitten, lol. He was driving up to the gate at Sunny Rest, thought he saw a wounded squirrel, or something weird, and pulled over. Seems it was a kitten. A very cute and socialized one at that.

He's currently sleeping on Dave's neck, lol. So sweet and innocent looking!

Karen
07-15-2010, 06:59 PM
Aww, he looks so dapper in his custom grey tuxedo! Maybe he could be a Dimmick - my friend the Etiquetteer is Robert Dimmick and always in favor of dressing properly!

kitten645
07-15-2010, 09:18 PM
Awww...Smokey was the first thing that popped into my head. Cutie patootie! Kisses!

krazyaboutkatz
07-16-2010, 12:57 AM
Well you did say you wanted a kitten and now you have one.:) I'm getting kitten fever too. I hope he's a healthy little boy. Congrats and good luck.:)

GILL
07-16-2010, 08:24 AM
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo cute.

moosmom
07-16-2010, 08:25 AM
Jenn,

Rule #1 in rescue: If you named it, it's yours. Need I say more???

Pinot's Mom
07-16-2010, 08:32 AM
Of course he's yours! I think Barney is a wonderful suggestion!!

catmandu
07-16-2010, 09:46 AM
The young lady typing beside me said Steve.:cool::cool:
I purrsonally would go for Freddy ;);)as he looks so much like a Porch Cat Freddy who no longer visits!!:(
Either way his future is secure now, thanks to your Kindness.
You will be rewarded many toimes over for your kindness and love.:love::love::love:

Husky_mom
07-16-2010, 09:47 AM
OY.. you bet.. he´s so cute!! love his grey coloring..awwww

as for your question: what to do?.. I think you already answered it : we can keep him... lol

and as for names...I was thinking something along the lines of metals.. grey metals.. but not sure if translated would sound as great..:)

plomo- lead .. not too good
acero-Iron..
or maybe

Mythryl
Steel
Thor- short for thorium a grey metal

cassiesmom
07-16-2010, 09:57 AM
He is definitely a keeper and so very cute!

Catty1
07-16-2010, 11:15 AM
On FB I had suggested Finnegan, since Jenn's dear Finae must have had a hand in this! ;):)

Cute baby, that is for sure!

Taz_Zoee
07-16-2010, 12:43 PM
So, did you decide on a name? Are you going with Charlie's suggestion of Flash(er)? :D

I can't wait to see more pictures!! Hint hint!

lizbud
07-16-2010, 12:47 PM
Wow, they are poppin up everywhere. This one found south of Indy
and it's a grey one too.:) He's been adopted.:) Here's his picture.

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/local/south_central/indiana-state-trooper-snatches-kitten-from-highway

jennielynn1970
07-16-2010, 01:39 PM
still no name.... Thinking about Finnegan the Flasher, lol. I love both of the names, lol.

He slept with me last night, all curled in a teeny tiny ball. Gosh he's precious!! Right now he's on "his" pillow.... I think he claimed it this AM... and is snoozing next to Dave. All he's been doing is sleeping and eating.

He's fighting off a cold, I've been washing his eyes off to get the eye boogers off them. Need to get an appt. for him at the vet up here. Want to get him checked out and any meds for the cold if it gets worse. It was so rainy when we found him, we thought it was the rainy and the cold... it was in the 60's and cold for this time of year. He's still a bit sniffly, but not too bad. Will get him in to the vet as soon as I can get an appt.

Have more pics, but need to download them from my camera, and my dock is at home :( Will try to get to do that this weekend.

lvpets2002
07-16-2010, 03:44 PM
:love: Oh my my such a wittle Cutie Pie.. Such a very lucky wittle boy that you found him.. I hope he gets over his cold soon.. Thats a good idea of taken him to the Vets.. Keep us posted ok.. Oh Yes Keep Him for sure..

momoffuzzyfaces
07-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Yep, he looks like a keep to me for sure!!! :D

He may have a slight respitory infection from being outside in the rain. The vet's magic antibiotic should clear that right up for him.

How sweet that he has his own pillow already. Doesn't take them long to move right into your house and heart does it? :D :love:

jennielynn1970
07-17-2010, 06:37 AM
one issue has popped up.... LITTER BOX USAGE. Or non-usage.

Would it be good to crate train him so that he knows to use the litter box? I don't see any other way of doing it. I've been putting him in the litter box after eating, after sleeping, after playing... nada. He goes and poops in a corner instead, lol. Dave is NOT thrilled. Me, I just laugh and chalk it up to him being such a youngster. He's gotta be about 5 weeks old, just soooooo teeny tiny.

No names have stuck yet but Baby. Thinking of Finnegan the Flasher though! Thanks to Candace and Jen Luck's Charlie for that combo!!

Laura's Babies
07-17-2010, 07:24 AM
How about putting the litter box in that corner? (save some of his poop and put it in that box) If that fails, then I would crate him and only let him out when I could watch him real close.. Catch him fixing to go, scoop him up and place him in the box and show him how to "dig" to hide his "goodies"... If you are consistant, he will get the idea..

Freedom
07-17-2010, 07:56 AM
Crating / confining in the bathroom for a time, all should help. A small area with the box and I agree with Laura's suggestion too, put some of HIS stuff in there.

Make sure he can jump in and out of it. At 5 weeks, he "may" be too little to get in some of them. Depends which type you have. Leaping OUT is always easier, lol.

When I was doing the rescue work, we kept the small ones in a large crate and used a Cool Whip container as a litter box, so they could climb UP and in, as the young ones love to climb. Heck, the adults do too, but for different reasons, ha ha.

What a handsome gray / white boy! He is so lucky Dave stopped to investigate!

jennielynn1970
07-17-2010, 09:32 AM
I put the litter box (it's a tiny one they had at the pet store) in the corner where he went first, but I can't fit it under the racks where he went the 2nd time, lol. I keep putting him in it, digging with his paws and all that good stuff. He's a sneaky little sucker, that's for sure, cause it's not until after he's gone that I notice it!

He's curled up in the sunshine right now. His eyes are looking a little better, sniffles a little better, but I'm calling on monday to get him into the vet. Just want to get a good place, so am asking my mom which one she prefers of the two that I know of. Saw both online, and both got mixed reviews. I'd take him to allentown, but that's an awful far trek for just a check up. 5 mins away is much more manageable for up here. It's the country so finding a vet isn't hard, but finding a good one is.

Catty1
07-17-2010, 09:33 AM
When I have litter trained a cat for the first time, I put them in the box and take their front paws and do the 'digging' motion in the litter. They always seemed to catch on right away.

Putting the box in the 'poop' corner just might help.

Good luck - looking forward to more pics!

jennielynn1970
07-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Hmmm... he's not getting the digging motion with his paws. Maybe 5 weeks is too young for that??? Or he's special ed?? LOL. He's just so stinkin' cute and sweet. Falls asleep right in my hand!

Freedom
07-17-2010, 10:32 AM
. Falls asleep right in my hand!

Awww. Yup, get him in to the vet, something to help clear up what ails him, and he will be a right spit fire!

Taz_Zoee
07-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Sorry I can't help. I've actually never box trained a cat before. Or if I have it was so long ago I don't remember.
Cathy trained Paizly before I got her (Thank you Cathy!!), and Jax was trained when I got him too.
I know a friend had a kitten and they would just grab her and put her in the box every time she even looked like she was thinking about going potty. That's probably what I would do. And when you can't watch him keep him in the crate or bathroom with the box. But others have already said this. :)

momoffuzzyfaces
07-17-2010, 12:41 PM
When I have litter trained a cat for the first time, I put them in the box and take their front paws and do the 'digging' motion in the litter. They always seemed to catch on right away.

Putting the box in the 'poop' corner just might help.

Good luck - looking forward to more pics!

That's just what I was going to suggest too. I also sometimes put a bit of their poop from where they made the mess, into their litter box. That helps them realize that is their place to potty. Good Luck!!! :love:

jennielynn1970
07-17-2010, 01:17 PM
Right now the issue is space. I'm in a cabin without a working bathroom and NO running water!!!:eek::eek: It's really roughing it for me, so imagine it for the kitten, lol. We have a living room and a bedroom, and a kitchen. The area for the bathroom is there but there is no door. The whole cabin at this point is accessible to the kitten (which I think is not good), but he can't really get into any small places (there are none), and he won't get lost. It's too small to lose him in, lol.

When I go to Allentown on Monday, I'm picking up my crate and bringing it back with me. It'll be cramped in the living room, but it will be easier to train the kitten. He's just so small. It's amazing he was ok out in that rain storm we had. When Dave found him he was emaciated, no belly or anything. Now he eats like crazy. I have him on Royal Canin Babycat catfood dry and the wet intuitive canned food. He loves the canned, and nibbles at the dry. It's really small stuff, the dry food, so I think he'll be fine with it. I know Jen Luckenbach uses Babycat by RC, so I trust it.

Will post pics on Monday when I get to download them. He's so freaking cute, I just want to hold him all the time. He lets me too, lol. Still no name, but that's ok. I want to see a personality first.

catmandu
07-17-2010, 02:14 PM
I would try a litter box in the corner where he goes or some newspaper so the floor isn't stained. He obviously is not sure what that box of sand is for yet with with love and patience he will soon divine it's purpose!!:love::love::love:

jennielynn1970
07-17-2010, 02:20 PM
I'm using the crystals for his litter... maybe I should change that to regular litter???

Catty1
07-17-2010, 03:10 PM
yes - maybe just use regular clay litter for now; it might be more like what he's used to because it's earth-like. Once he gets the idea, then try the crystals.

Looking forward to pics! :D

krazyaboutkatz
07-17-2010, 04:06 PM
I'm sorry to hear that he doesn't seem to know how to use the litter box. Hopefully he'll learn soon and I agree that crating him in a small space is a great idea.:) Good luck.:)

jennielynn1970
07-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Tooooooo stinking cute not to share, lol.

Dave on his hands and knees, digging in the litter box with the kitten, and the kitten pees in the box!!!! YAY!!!!!

krazyaboutkatz
07-17-2010, 09:49 PM
Tooooooo stinking cute not to share, lol.

Dave on his hands and knees, digging in the litter box with the kitten, and the kitten pees in the box!!!! YAY!!!!!

LOL Too funny.:) I'm glad that he was able to encourage the kitten to pee in the box. If he still didn't use the box I was going to suggest that you buy some Cat Attract Litter from Petsmart. I was told that Alani and Blaze's whole litter didn't use the box either until they bought Cat Attract litter. Then they went without any problems. Both of my boys have already peed in their litter box today without any problems and I'm now using Dr. Elsey's Premium Choice Unscented Clumping Litter.:)

Pembroke_Corgi
07-18-2010, 10:54 AM
I'm using the crystals for his litter... maybe I should change that to regular litter???

Kiki had a issue with litter when we got her. She wanted to poop in closets for some reason. I got a special kind of litter that really helped called "Kitten Attract" (link (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754846)). I'm not sure what's in it, but it seemed to make her want to use the litterbox.

Pembroke_Corgi
07-18-2010, 10:59 AM
I forgot to add that your new kitten is SOOO cute!! :)

Husky_mom
07-19-2010, 10:00 AM
haha.. maybe he wanted "daddy" to teach him guys stuff.. lol

oh.. how about Rain.. or Raine.. or Rayne.. or whatever other way you wanna spell it.. as he was found in the actual rain ;)

jennielynn1970
07-19-2010, 01:04 PM
New kitten pics!!! He's just too stinkin' cute!!

jennielynn1970
07-19-2010, 01:05 PM
more!!

krazyaboutkatz
07-19-2010, 01:06 PM
He sure is adorable and so tiny.:) Thanks for posting some more pictures of him. I look forward to hearing more about him and seeing many more pictures in the future.:)

katladyd
07-19-2010, 01:07 PM
The best things in life are free, and this precious little one is proof of that!:love: Maybe you could name him Lucky.

3Catcondo
07-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Love the new pics and that he is using the litterbox. Did you decide on a vet to take him to?
Kittens are so darn cute. I wish they wouldn't grow up so fast.

Husky_mom
07-19-2010, 01:23 PM
lol.. talk to the paw.. I´m trying to get some sleep..

so cute!!.. can´t stand so many cute kitties around..

smokey the elder
07-19-2010, 02:15 PM
Awwwww, such a precious baby he is!

jennielynn1970
07-19-2010, 07:50 PM
Ok... have thought and thought about a name. I think the name Sebastian is fitting for him. He's got the tux on, he's a little formal, but still so sweet!!

Sebastian it is!!

PS.. not that I didn't love Flasher and Finnegan and the other suggestions, so thanks to all who gave me in put!

lvpets2002
07-20-2010, 12:00 PM
:love: Oh My my another Wittle Cutie Sweetie Pie.. I like the name Sebastian.. **Now Jenn I want to know where is the pic of Dave on his knees digging in the litter box??**:D

katladyd
07-20-2010, 12:42 PM
Sebastian....a great name!

Anikaca77
07-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Sebastian is a great name! I have a Sebastian as well and he's grey and fuzzy!

catmandu
07-22-2010, 09:34 AM
How about Moosie after My Dear Moose the MagnfiCat :love: now a MagnfiCat Angel:cool: He would love a Gray Second Chance Protege!!:love::love::love:

jennielynn1970
07-24-2010, 02:54 AM
Finally found my baby scale at home (from when I did rescue and had sick cats to weigh weekly), and I weighed Sebastian tonight.

Can you believe that after being with us for one week he only weighs in at 1.30 lbs??! He's so stinking tiny!!! Eats really well, but gosh is he tiny!

I'm going to keep on weighing him weekly and see how he does gaining weight. I want him to be big and strong, not big and fat, lol.

carole
07-24-2010, 06:17 AM
Sebastian is an awesome name, i love it, i was going to suggest Ash after my big old grey RB kitty,but you have given him the purrfect name, he is adorable, so darn cute, just want to reach into the computer and kiss him and cuddle him.:love::love:

catmandu
07-24-2010, 09:52 AM
There are special foods to help Kittens get big and strong:love::love:
But dont be surpised when Sebastien suddenly becomes a Big Furry Puurry Cat right before eyes:cool::cool:
Its magic:love::love:with your Do It Yourself Cat Kit:cool::cool:
Take a Kitten, add Love and TLC and Presto you have a Big Happy Cat.:love::love:

katladyd
07-24-2010, 05:43 PM
Yep, I've seen it work that way time after time. Ming was three pounds when I got him, just a tiny little thing. He now weighs twenty pounds! Love and cat food, yep.

jennielynn1970
07-26-2010, 06:55 PM
In honor of Moose the Magnificat.....:love::)

Sebastian Moose Hall, will be the full name given at the vet and on all his records. I think it will be very fitting for him, as he is a very good eater!

Thanks for the suggestion Gary! :love:

katladyd
07-26-2010, 11:46 PM
A fitting tribute to a great cat!

jennielynn1970
07-27-2010, 01:42 AM
I bet by the time he's big enough to merit the name, MOOSE will be his full time name, lol.

anna_66
07-27-2010, 05:23 AM
Very cute!

Laura's Babies
07-27-2010, 08:47 AM
Wonderful!! You couldn't have picked a better name and honor Moose, keeping his name/memory going. Great choice!

jennielynn1970
07-27-2010, 02:04 PM
New pictures of the kitten!!

He still has some gunky eyes going on, but we're getting a vet appt. as soon as I get paid this thursday!!

cassiesmom
07-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Awww, Sebastian! You are sooooo adorable! MMWAH! (gucky eyes and all)

Catty1
07-27-2010, 02:21 PM
What a DOLL!!!! MWAH! :love::love::love:

He and my fosters must be much the same age...their eyes are starting to turn to adult colour too. :)

jennielynn1970
07-27-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm just noticing how dirty his ears are inside! That vet visit can't come soon enough!!! I'm still stuck on whether to use a vet up by sunny rest, or to use one of my trusted vets down here. It's a distance to travel for the little guy to come down here, but I trust the vets more.

krazyaboutkatz
07-27-2010, 08:44 PM
He sure is adorable.:) If I were you I'd use a vet that I trusted. I hope his health check goes well. Good luck and please keep us updated about him.:)

jennielynn1970
07-27-2010, 09:04 PM
I'm really anxious about his vet check up. I"m hoping I have enough this week after I pay my mortgage and my car insurance (dang bills). My psychiatrist made me really worried when he was telling me he found a sweet little kitten too, only it had to be PTS because it was Feline Leukemia positive.

I can handle and FIV+ kitty, that won't bother me, but FeLV... that's a totally different ball game.

So... send up those big hopes and prayers that alll goes well for my little Sebastian Moose at his white coat appt. when he gets there. Not sure how much it will cost, am hoping if I have enough to pay partial they'll let me pay the balance in 2 weeks if possible... I dunno. Never had to do that with them before, I hate to ask to do it now. Oh, I've decided to go with the vet that I trust, so we'll be making a long trip down the turnpike from Lehighton to allentown to get to Dr. Hess in her new digs.

jennielynn1970
08-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Took Sebastian to the vet today, and the only friends he has on him are ear mites, lol. Thank goodness no other friends!!

He weighs in at 2.2lbs, and is about 8 weeks old. Dr. Hess said he should grow into a handsome blue and white tabby boy! I thought he was a tuxie, but he has some gorgeous marbling coming in on his sides, so he's gonna be a tabby.

We go to a clinic appointment on the 14th and he gets FIV/FeLV tested, and his shots. That should be a fun day for the little guy, lol. I'm hoping he's negative for both tests. I'm nervous because the clinic person I talked to said there's been an increase in Feline Leukemia recently. That's the one thing I don't know if I could handle. FIV I could, and have one cat already that is FIV+, but he's old and has hardy any teeth. None of my guys are aggressive so I'm not worried about any transmission of FIV, but Feline Leukemia scares me.

Please keep Sebastian in your thoughts and say some prayers that he tests negative for both diseases.

Catty1
08-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Prayers for a perfect checkup for Sebastian. I LOVE that little pic of him in your siggy. :love::love::love:

Pinot's Mom
08-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Prayers for the poor little (TABBY!!!) Sebastian; grow up big, strong and healthy (AND A TABBY!!) little guy!:love:

I'm totally impartial - no preference (FOR TABBIES) at all!:)

Laura's Babies
08-05-2010, 07:30 PM
A TABBY! What a change but he is still cute so who cares?

3Catcondo
08-05-2010, 08:12 PM
Love your signature pics of him!!! Prayers going up that he gets good results of his tests. :):love:

krazyaboutkatz
08-06-2010, 01:15 AM
I'm glad to hear that he only has ear mites and nothing else like internal parasites.:) I hope that his FIV/FeLV test goes well. Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. He sounds like he'll turn into a very handsome boy.:)

cassiesmom
08-06-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm glad to hear that he only has ear mites and nothing else like internal parasites.:) I hope that his FIV/FeLV test goes well. Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. He sounds like he'll turn into a very handsome boy.:)

I hope Sebastian Moose's FIV and FeLV tests come back negative! He is so beautiful. He is going to join the clowder of beautiful tabby cats on PT! (Pinot, Luna and Lily, Amy, Grandma and my fur-nephew Milo come immediately to mind and I'm sure I'm forgetting many others) Purr-ayers for Sebastian!

jennielynn1970
08-18-2010, 02:32 PM
Forgot to post on here that we went to our clinic appointment. Things went extremely well. Both FIV and FeLV are negative. The ear mites are still giving him a hassle... Wish I had kitten Revolution to give him, as that clears up ear mites as well as fleas and ticks. He has no fleas or ticks, I just want it for the ear mites. I'm actually surprised that he's as flea free as he is when we're living in the middle of the woods with critters all around us. Our one neighbor was just diagnosed with Lyme's Disease from being in the woods and bitten by a deer tick up here.

Sebastian is growing by leaps and bounds. It seems that he's also now "found" his voice and is getting to be a very vocal little fella. He's so cute and playful, he can play hard and rough, but we're trying to make him calm down a little bit.

While I was thinking of adopting Hercules from Melissa, I want to wait and see how integration goes with my own 4 guys at home and also we'll be working a lot and I want to be able to watch over them as much as possible. Dave's also not a fan of adding another cat to the mix... however, if no one plays with Sebastian, I'm going to seriously look into adopting Hercules (if he's still available at that point).

That's all for now!

Karen
08-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Awww, thanks for the update, I am glad he's doing well, and hopefully you can get his ear mites clearer up soon! Did you see Lady's Human's new addition (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=162726)? I was surprised he was all clear, healthwise, we figure that pretty much confirms that someone dumped the poor thing "out in the country where he can fend for himself" - NOT!

cassiesmom
08-18-2010, 07:07 PM
FIV and FeLV negative - like!
Ear mites - unlike.
Growing and getting cuter by the day - LOVE IT!
*kiss* for precious Sebastian

jennielynn1970
08-18-2010, 09:26 PM
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/sebastianonchair.jpg
Sebastian resting after a long day of play!

krazyaboutkatz
08-19-2010, 12:56 AM
Thanks for keeping us updated. I'm so glad to hear that he's FIV/FeLV negative.:) Hopefully his earmites will go away soon. I've found that since I have two kittens, that my cats aren't bugged as much because they play and wrestle together and wear each other out. Just something to think about.;) I hope that the introductions go smoothly. Good luck.:)

Medusa
08-19-2010, 07:00 AM
I'm so glad that he's "pest free". Have you tried swabbing his ears w/olive oil? That's what my old vet told someone else to do and it worked. Just a thought.

Anikaca77
08-20-2010, 09:10 AM
I've heard of baby oil working...but not olive oil but it's almost the same thing.