PDA

View Full Version : 2 more cats

toughCookie
10-22-2002, 05:58 PM
well I did it, I just adopted 2 more cats!! from the humane society that was at petsmart. I brought one home with me today, and I have to wait till tomorrow to get the other one, she is getting spayed in the morning. one is a seal point siamese, 3 years old, she has litter box problems, but thats because she was an inside/outside cat, I think now that she is inside only, she will adjust, I hope... the other is speckled is the best way I can explain her, she is one year old and so loving, friendly!
of course while I was there there were 2 kittens that were calling out to me!! and one other kitten that was so quiet but when I petted her she reached her paw out to me and looked at me with those eyes, it hurt not to be able to take them... but they are so cute they will get adopted soon. its the older ones, I said after I got Patches and Charlie that if I ever got any more cats they would be older ones.

so, go ahaed and tell me Im insane!!! I swore I would not get more after 5!! but there in petsmart... I just could not say no...and I am never going back there!! so now I have the one cat in the bathroom, where there is only tile, I hope she learns the litterbox fast... and I will keep the other one in my room, separate from the others, and separate from each other, for a couple weeks anyway.

I will post pics tomorrow, I get the other one after 5.
one is called Gypsy and the other one is Angel, and I think I am going to keep the names and not change them.

:eek: :rolleyes:

The Cat Factory
10-22-2002, 06:03 PM
I wasn't gonna get anymore after 3, but i've ended up with 11! I kinda try and avoid going to PetsMart, becuase I know I would just have to adopt a cat or two ;)

jenluckenbach
10-22-2002, 06:12 PM
4 was my stopping point.....well.......I have 11

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO glad you added these two new wonderful needy kitties!:D Enjoy.

neko1
10-22-2002, 06:27 PM
4 may not seem like a lot to most, but for us it started out as just one, then another so the first one wouldn't get lonely, then it was the desire to have an orange one and then it was the desire to have an abyssinian. My place is small so 4 is enough, but I think I'd have a whole housefull--my fiance would kill me though:) Good luck with the new kitties. Can't wait to see pics tomorrow!!!

Miss Meow
10-22-2002, 06:29 PM
Oooooh yes you are insane, terribly insane, but that's just fantastic! You'll have to change your user profile to 7 fantastic feline family :D

And no secrets that I just love a seal point Siamese. Gypsy and Angel are great names.

Subliminal hint: post photos, post photos, post photos, post photos ...

Nomilynn
10-22-2002, 06:40 PM
That's wonderful!!! I'm so happy for you and the two additions!! I have three right now, and I'm only allowed one more and I've reached the limit that my boyfriend and I compromised on :D I wanted to have six, but Nate said no, TWO! so we settled on four. However, he has a VERY soft spot for kitties, and if one was in NEED he would never say no!! :D But you are right, kittens almost always get adopted fast. Hopefully they won't be brought back when they get bigger.

toughCookie
10-22-2002, 06:52 PM
there was an orange tabby, 4 months old, named Jack, and he was calling me, very loudly! oh how I wanted him.. he looked like my Cookie, then there was Penny, she cried too. then the other one that was quiet.... they all just break my heart!!!!!

and you know I will probably end up posting at one or two pics tonight, LOL:rolleyes:

I absolutely cannot go into petsmart again:rolleyes: :eek: :eek:

Tina
10-22-2002, 07:14 PM
Oh,how wonderful!! Congrats on your two new additions!! Can't wait to see pictures of the precious babies!!

Vermontcat
10-22-2002, 08:35 PM
I thought you weren't going to get any more cats-yeah right! I can't wait to see photos of your new cuties, the Siamese sounds beautiful. I love both the names Gypsy and Angel.:D

shais_mom
10-22-2002, 09:02 PM
Congratulations!
They sound adorable!! I hope they fit in with your family! I am sure they will adjust nicely!

Uabassoon
10-22-2002, 11:26 PM
You got a meezer!! I have a soft spot for siamese cats. Congrats on adding two more to your cat family. If I wasn't a renter and actually owned my own house I think I would get more cats too.

kohala
10-23-2002, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
If I wasn't a renter and actually owned my own house I think I would get more cats too.

Along with having to put up with Grasshopper's being a spoiled "only child", I have the same rent thing goin on. Hard to move with one cat, almost impossible with more. I once had thirteen in an apartment back east, but I didn't move in with them!!! I loved having multiple cats (sounds kinda weird, doesn't it - "multiple cats" - like they're cloned or something!) because they could keep eachother company and they're so much fun to watch and playwith! Lucky you!!!

emily_the_spoiled
10-23-2002, 07:38 AM
Congratulations on the latest additions to your family :) :) :) You are going to love having them.

I am like you, every time I go to PetSmart I stop by to looking at the cats up for adoption and I want to take them all home (but usually I can manage a minimal level of restraint :D :D )

Lillycat
10-23-2002, 09:21 AM
how wonderful!!!! congratulations to the cats and yourself!!! i know how you feel looking at the others ........we want to reach out to them all!! thats how i felt about the 2 cats i left in cape may n.j. that "hung out" at the cottage i rented this summer.if i had not located a person who "claimed" they belonged to her family.....they would have belonged to me!!! i still miss them! i, also, will go the older cat route from now on.....there is a need there also....again congratulations!!!

toughCookie
10-23-2002, 10:29 AM
thanks everyone for your nice posts:)
3 or 4 times last night I went to check on the new kitty, and to pet her, give her attention, talk to her...
and the 2nd time I could see that she had been in the litterbox, not used it, but I could see little paw prints in there:)
and at first she would not eat from the food bowl, but would eat the few pieces of food I put on the floor, then I would put a few more...and she drank alot of water! the last time I checked her last night, she did eat from the bowl, and she would bath herself, so shes going to be fine, best news is she has used the litter box! so I don't think she will have a problem, I don't know why she had one wherever she was before, but so far so good here...
I'll post some pics tonight, I charged the camera last night..

Randi
10-23-2002, 11:00 AM
Congratulations on your newest additions! :D I can't wait to see pics - and I love their names! :)

Kirsten
10-23-2002, 11:50 AM
toughCookie and all the others with multi-cat households.. I'm glad that there are people like you who don't hesitate to give all these kitties a new home! :)

That's wonderful news about the two, keep us updated! About the litterbox problems.. Maybe she wasn't happy in her last home. Hope she's alright now!

Kirsten

Cataholic
10-23-2002, 12:53 PM
Yeah! Two more cats! I love them sooo much already, and haven't even seen their pictures (like that would matter, huh?). I know they will be very happy with you. Seven is a nice number..but it isn't very round, is it? Maybe 8 would be better?

As to the renter situation- I hated that so much. People would rent to irresponsible children, those with fifty kids, two dogs..but the second I mentioned a cat...it was bad news. I never understood that. If I owned rental property, I would rent to all of you, at a discounted price, of course, and let you have tons of cats! Hmmm...I might now understand why I wouldn't be a very good landlady...

Congrats on two more!

lynnestankard
10-23-2002, 01:02 PM
Oh TC - TWO new furkids - how lovely! And one a Meezer! So Yeah you must be totally insane!!! Hmph!
I'm so jealous!! Hope they both settle in soon.
:D :D :D

Lynne

toughCookie
10-23-2002, 04:49 PM
If I owned rental property, I would rent to all of you, at a discounted price, of course, and let you have tons of cats!

if you ever acquire any property, please let me know!! :D

looking at Angel more, I am not sure if she is a seal point, I still don't know much about cat breeds, but thats what they said she was...I am pretty sure that she does have some siamese in her, but is she seal point? what is that exactly anyway??

also. they said she is 3 years old, but she looks to me to be about 7 or 8 months old... in size anyway...?
the humane society called about an hour ago, Gypsy had her surgery and can be picked up around 4...:D , she doing well.
so far, still no litter box problems with Angel...here's hoping there won't be!

I am not sure if I should keep Gypsy in my room, they said she should not do any jumping, so maybe I should put her in the bathroom and Angel in my room??:confused: of course then Gypsy could still jump from the counter and back...and I don't want Angel messing in my room:eek:
well I will see what happens, I know for the rest of today Gypsy will probably just want to sleep anyway, right? this is the first cat that I have had that will be recovering from being spayed...I need to fix up a nice soft comfy bed for her..
guess I have droned on enough.. I am excited, but thinking about the cats at the hermitage, I should have adopted Tripod. Izzy is 15, and I would hate to move her from where shes familiar..
but no, round number or not, there will be no 8th cat!

Cataholic
10-23-2002, 04:58 PM
I know others with mor knowledge than I will chime in with the explanation of 'seal pointe'. I know it is some sort of markings at least on their ears, which is darker then the body coat. But, let's let a real meezer chime in...

As to the age...you can tell by the teeth if she is younger or older...a younger kitty will first have baby teeth..very sharp and pointy (ouch), but I think by 7-8 months adult teeth might be in already. If they are, they will still be (usually) whiter and cleaner than a 3 year olds....

Then, finally, I think it is a good idea to keep a cat that has had surgery away from all other animals for at least 24 hours. They are still recovering, and don't need the stress of other cats. They will jump, and not appreciate their limitations at first- so, the smaller the area, and less temptation, the better.

I have forgotten why you aren't keeping these two kitties together...and why do you think Angel will mess? I can't remember if she had this problem with her other owner???

Good luck!:)

toughCookie
10-23-2002, 06:17 PM
I am keeping the 2 new cats separate from each other, because I am not sure of their health yet , so until I know I am not going to let one make the other sick, and yes Angel was owner released,(thats the term used by the humane society) because of litterbox problems...? so far with me she's ok.
yes Gypsy will need time to heal, and quiet time, by herself,
thats why I think I will move Angel to my room and put Gypsy in the bathroom, less things to tempt her to explore etc...
Angel does have the dark ears, and tail, so that does sound right then, I guess she is a seal point. her body is white and pale tan.
she has blue eyes. shes beautiful! she's sleeping now, they all are. its nice and quiet!:D

Miss Meow
10-23-2002, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by toughCookie

but is she seal point? what is that exactly anyway??

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid31/pc83ca519dcb0e40cfb7d0662583b4537/fd484f6e.jpg

My dearest Aunty ToughCookie, I thought I was your most beloved seal point Siamese in the whole universe. Boo hoo, waaaaaaaa. I must go back on my hunger strike immediately!

And if I have the strength to type again, I must communicate with your Angel and tell her to fully educate you in the true privilege of owning such royal blood. Hrumphhhh! We seal points are the darkest of the royal cats of ancient Siam. If you must, please investigate the Internet Siamese Cat Club www.meezer.com they truly appreciate what individual, articulate, loving, inbred weirdos we are. (weirdo is a flattering term right, my mum uses it on me all the time, it must be good ...)

There is nothing I can do except throw myself off the nearest scratching post, wrooooooooooorrrrrr

Love from Mini xxx

Cataholic
10-23-2002, 06:37 PM
Miss Meow-
That is one gorgeous seal pointe...what a beauty!:)

AmberLee
10-23-2002, 07:25 PM
TC,

I missed your post earlier. Wow, I'm stunned and excited. Really looking forward to seeing your new babies, too. Congratulations. How are the rest of the kids taking the new smells and sense of excitement?

toughCookie
10-23-2002, 08:29 PM
How are the rest of the kids taking the new smells and sense of excitement? curious, they are very curious. Angel slipped out of the bathroom last night before I could catch her, and ran a little ways, but then she saw the other cats, and froze! no puffy fur or tails, no hissing, she just stopped. and the others all scattered when they saw her. I got her before she had any contact with any of them.
Gypsy is here now, in the carrier still, in my room, but soon I am going to put her in the bathroom, and Angel in my room. I will have pics tonight.

my dear Mini...first I have to say that you are so beautiful! and oh when you called me aunty tc, you melted my heart, I am such a sucker for being called aunty!!
but you made me feel bad... don't you know that you are my first siamese love?? that will never change sweetie! I had to get a cat somewhat like you because of your beauty!
so don't go running to your scratching post, unless of course you are playing!
and promise your aunt tc that you will be a good girl and eat!!:D

Miss Meow
10-23-2002, 09:38 PM
OK, Aunty TC, I'll step gracefully from the top of the scratching post. I may or may not eat, but I promise to sniff around the food bowl so mummy sees I'm at least thinking of eating.

PS I'm a boy :) but that's OK as long as you still have space in your heart for me. I hope Miss Angel is a talkative Siamese, you are going to have so much fun learning our language. We talk best at 5 in the morning!

toughCookie
10-23-2002, 10:30 PM
Dear, sweet Mini

it is shameful of your aunty tc to have made such a mistake!
I am so sorry to have called you a girl!! you are a handsome, hunk of a cat! all boy! and a good boy I bet too huh, but what is this I hear, you wake your mommy up at 5 am? well you are hungry and just have so much to say, right? I have so many cats, I can't keep them straight, so forgive me for calling you a GIRL.. EW!! LOL

yes I still have a big place in my heart for you little boy, excuse me, you are a BIG boy:)

krazyaboutkatz
10-23-2002, 11:04 PM
Mary, congrats on the two new additions to your cat family. I can't wait to see their pictures. I also love their names. I hope that everything works out and that they get along with your other cats. Good luck. :)

kohala
10-24-2002, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Miss Meow

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid31/pc83ca519dcb0e40cfb7d0662583b4537/fd484f6e.jpg

My dearest Aunty ToughCookie, I thought I was your most beloved seal point Siamese in the whole universe. Boo hoo, waaaaaaaa. I must go back on my hunger strike immediately!

There is nothing I can do except throw myself off the nearest scratching post, wrooooooooooorrrrrr

Love from Mini xxx

I'm soooooooo glad your Auntie Cookie smoothed your fur, Mini! You are far to beautiful to leave the planet just yet!! :cool:
Love, Grasshopper

Miss Meow
10-24-2002, 02:09 AM
Dear, sweet Mini

... I am so sorry to have called you a girl!! you are a handsome, hunk of a cat! all boy!

I was until bad doctor man in the white coat snip-snipped my "olivettes" away ...

toughCookie
10-24-2002, 06:35 PM
Mini, don't worry, you are still a boy, and as handsome as ever!

toughCookie
10-24-2002, 07:04 PM
I only have one of her, the disk was full after taking the pics of Angel, and I had to leave to take Patches to the vet, his follow up visit for his eyes... they are well. of course he could get it back any time, but right now all cats are well, knock on wood..
Patches weighed 11.2 pounds... waaaay too much!
i'll post more pics of Gypsy tomorrow. they are doing well, Gypsy's incision looks good, and Angel was shy but she played last night, with a toy. just when I was beginning to think she wouldn't. but, she is declawed in the front!:( :( poor baby, tried to scratch, and didn't have anything to scratch with! I don't know who had her before, but I would have some words for them!

toughCookie
10-24-2002, 07:06 PM
Angel

toughCookie
10-24-2002, 07:07 PM
Angel

toughCookie
10-24-2002, 07:08 PM
Angel

toughCookie
10-24-2002, 07:09 PM
Angel

Uabassoon
10-24-2002, 09:06 PM
I'm in love with Angel, she is soooooo cute.

Felicia's Mom
10-24-2002, 09:23 PM
Congrats on your two new cats

krazyaboutkatz
10-24-2002, 11:07 PM
Mary, Angel is very beautiful. Gypsy is cute too but I'd like to see more of her. Is she a Tortie? Thanks for sharing their pics. :)

toughCookie
10-25-2002, 12:14 AM
Gypsy may be a tortie, I am not sure... Muffin is for sure...Angel might be too solid to be considered a real tortie? I don't know...

I like the names Angel and Gypsy, but I think I am going to change them after all...I think I will re-name Gypsy to Rose, not sure, but I really like the name Calle for Angel...to me, she just looks like chocolate, or cocoa, with the dark and light, but I can't name her chocolate! I was thinking of coco, or cinnamin, sugar,something like that, is what she makes me think of.
then I thought of Calle... and I think I am set on that.
any ideas for Gypsy's new name? maybe I will keep it the same.

more pics of Gypsy tomorrow.:)

krazyaboutkatz
10-25-2002, 12:24 AM
I actually like both of their names: Angel and Gypsy but Calle is nice too. :)

kohala
10-25-2002, 12:56 AM
I only have one of her, the disk was full after taking the pics of Angel, and I had to leave to take Patches to the vet, his follow up visit for his eyes... they are well. of course he could get it back any time, but right now all cats are well, knock on wood..
Patches weighed 11.2 pounds... waaaay too much!
i'll post more pics of Gypsy tomorrow. they are doing well, Gypsy's incision looks good

OMIGOD!!!! I finally understand the posts that say "She remninds me of...." !!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek:

I just saw a memory, and it tugged my heart like I can't believe!! She was a gentle cat, not unlike Grasshopper, that shared my life in the late '60s and early '70s - her name was Chloe.

What a pretty kitty Gypsy is - yeah, more pics (when you can!!) A real tortie cutie!!!!!!

wolf_Q
10-25-2002, 02:03 AM
Both kitties are gorgeous! I really love Angel! I always seem to fall in love with cats that look like that....I guess a siamese mix? She really reminds me of kitty I fell in love with at Petsmart a few months ago. His name was Radar. I wanted that sweetie so bad. :( Course I can't have any kitties........dogs would not enjoy that.

Miss Meow
10-25-2002, 03:19 AM
Oh, they're both so beautiful. First impression is that Gypsy looks a bit like Noel. Can't wait to see more pics. And Angel is so gorgeous. Maybe she's a snowshoe Siamese, they have very similar markings on the face and legs. Mini thinks she's a total babe!

toughCookie
10-25-2002, 03:45 AM
I can't have any kitties........dogs would not enjoy that.

I know how you feel, I would love to have some dogs...

Mini, I told Calle about you...and she says you are a reall cutie!
she thinks you are cool:cool: maybe sometime you two can meet:D

Calle got a glimpse of Emma and Louise tonight, she hissed, even after they were out of slight, and she was back in my room with the door shut, she kept hissing, I guess she was trying to tell me she was not happy! I have the hall closed off from the rest of the house, with a gate that can be seen thru,and I let her in the hall for a while, and thats when she saw them!
Patches saw Gypsys front paw and leg, she was reaching under the bathroom door trying to play! I made Patches leave the hallway so I could let Gypsy out so I could clean the bathroom,
and he was trying to get back in:D I'm afraid to let them have contact yet, for a couple weeks...

Vermontcat
10-25-2002, 11:16 AM
Aww, it sounds like Patches wants to play with the new kitties! I agree with Miss Meow that Angel looks like a Snowshoe Siamese with the white markings on her face and feet, she is very pretty. I also think that Gypsy reminds me of Noel, I wonder what Noah's mommy will say?:)

Chinadoll
10-25-2002, 11:46 AM
Awwww! Congrats on the two new furries! They're gorgeous!!

Kirsten
10-25-2002, 12:31 PM
They are soooo beautiful! :) Angel's color reminds me of Café au Lait! It's so cute! :)

Kirsten

Kirsten
10-25-2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Kirsten
They are soooo beautiful! :) Angel's color reminds me of Café au Lait! It's so cute! :) But they both look so special! :)

Kirsten

toughCookie
10-25-2002, 01:53 PM
Kirsten, you're right, thats another thing she reminds me of!

Noah's mommy, please post a pic of Noel, I want to see her, does she look like Gypsy?

Angel is now named Callie
Gypsy is still Gypsy for now, but I kind of like the name Daisy for her...

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-25-2002, 04:21 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

2 more!!! It sounded like you really had your hands full with the 5 you had (all being sick, etc), but I'm so glad you had the big heart to adopt these two cuties!

I can't wait to see how they all start getting along, and how this affects the Muffin/Louise matriarch battle.

Let me see, first of all was Muffin was an "only child" after Cookie died. Then came foster kitties Emma & Louise, who were soon to become permanent kitties instead of foster. ;) Then came Charlie and Patches, or did Patches come first? :confused: And now our newest PT'ers Callie & Gypsy/Daisy. What a lively household you must have!!!

toughCookie
10-25-2002, 07:38 PM
2 more!!! It sounded like you really had your hands full with the 5 you had (all being sick, etc), but I'm so glad you had the big heart to adopt these two cuties!I can't wait to see how they all start getting along, and how this affects the Muffin/Louise matriarch battle. Let me see, first of all was Muffin was an "only child" after Cookie died. Then came foster kitties Emma & Louise, who were soon to become permanent kitties instead of foster.
Then came Charlie and Patches, or did Patches come first? And now our newest PT'ers Callie & Gypsy/Daisy. What a lively household you must have!!!

I did have my hands full! but unfortunately I seem to be low on brain power here lately! I went into petsmart and instead of steering clear of the adoption area, like I KNEW I should have, I went there, and started talking to the volunteers... and then I was done in!! so call me stupid LOl. but in the last 2 days, seeing them so happy I am glad. now as far as the new ones meeting the resident cats, that will not happen for a couple months...at least I have learned that lesson! they all know about the others, but thats it, they will not have contact with each other until I am sure it will be ok. besides, Patches just now after 3 1/2 months is finally in remission, and I am not about to upset the apple cart! though I might have just by bringing in new cats. the part of the house they are in is pretty closed off from the rest though, so it should be ok. they will smell the new cats on my clothes Im sure but they won't see them untill I want them to. I only let them see each other so they can get used to the idea that somewhere in the house there is other cats, but it will not affect(or is it effect?)
their territory or routine.
You had the whole situation just right, except that it was the Emma/Muffin battle, of course Louise was part of it too! and, I got Patches and Charlie at the same time..
today my mom told me that Emma and Muffin were laying down next to each other, looking at each other, but there was no hostility, they were both just kicking back I guess! I wish I had seen them.
ok heres a couple more pics of Gypsy.

toughCookie
10-25-2002, 07:59 PM
Gypsy
her throat is all tan color.
heres the toy I gave her today so she would not be bored but not run around too much, shes still recovering from being spayed.
she loves the toy! odd, her and Callie act like they have never played with toys before... guess I'm used to my other cats going wild and chasing things, I keep trying to throw things for Callie but she doesn't run after them. she does like that one toy though thats in the pic with her.

toughCookie
10-25-2002, 08:05 PM
Gypsy again

rosethecopycat
10-28-2002, 10:00 PM
Your new kitties are beautiful, Toughcookie.
Thank you for saving the older ones.

I am simply struck by the beauty of Miss. Meow's Mini.

What a gorgeous boy! In my childhood, that's how I drew all cats, as a Siamese.
He is so wonderful to look at. I'd like to see more of him. How old is he?

Rosethecopycat

Miss Meow
10-29-2002, 04:46 AM
Thank you Rose :) If you want to visit Imagestation, there are plenty of pics on the link below. If not, let me know and I'll call up a few! He's 1 year and 4 months now. We didn't think he'd see his first birthday, so he's a very precious little talkative boy to us.

Vio&Juni
10-29-2002, 04:53 AM
I am so happy for you and the kitties that you decided to see the cats for adoption and you choose the older ones.
And, also, I would have something to say too to those owners, which declaw cats and then return them to the Humaine society like a used product. At least, they shouldn't declaw them.
I hope your kitties will get along together.
How sad to hear that kitties don't know how to play... Interesting, what were they doing before in those awful houses with those awful "humans"?!?!