PDA

View Full Version : My Geek question for the night. How old is your modem?

blue
07-10-2010, 01:57 AM
Is a 3 year lifespan too much to much to expect out of a DSL modem? My connection to the interweb and beyond has been dropping on and off all night and has probably been offline since Wednsday since Im not home during the week. The local help desk tells me that 3 years is a long life span for the DSL modem

Im trying to get a server setup and I need the interweb connectiveness to get the downloadables installed.

So how old is your modem?

jennielynn1970
07-10-2010, 04:17 AM
Mine's at least 5 years old, and my reception in the house sucks!!! I'm planning on upgrading to a newer apple airport when I can, but right now the funding just isn't there.

Hellow
07-10-2010, 12:46 PM
My "modem" - the thing that bridges between our phone line and my OpenBSD router - is about 4 years old.

blue
07-10-2010, 07:42 PM
New modem=free. New router=$60 probaly didnt need the new router but hey its new. Not noticing and faster interwebity though. i will be calling my ISP about a 10meg line with unimitted transfer limit on monday.

Hey Collin I almost had my Mediasmart server online but the sis191 NIC isnt playing nice.

prechrswife
07-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Ours is fairly new. I think this is about the third one we've had in 3 years. Thankfully, it is rented from the cable company. I'm wondering if they got a bad batch or something. This one seems to be doing fine, though.

Hellow
07-11-2010, 12:01 AM
My router cost me $10 at a yard sale and about two hours of time.

Laura's Babies
07-11-2010, 08:54 AM
Hummm, I am not exactly sure Blue but I'd say mine is 5 to 6 years old and I am thinking of updating to fiber optic for TV, phone and internet, that may require a new modem..? I have DSL light, not the fastest one but can't see paying big bucks for something nobody is here to use every other month.

Hellow
07-11-2010, 11:33 AM
I am thinking of updating to fiber optic for TV, phone and internet, that may require a new modem..?

If this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIOS) is what you're talking about getting, then it's totally different than DSL.