PDA

View Full Version : Sheena's allergies

NicoleLJ
07-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Well Sheena definately has allergies the vet said but as to what we are unsure. So the first thing that was advised was of course to change her food. For the past year and a half she has sadly been on the cheaper stuff because I just could not afford to get the better brands. Now I can. So today we went out and got her Blue Wilderness Salmon. I checked it out on the food analysis site and it was listed as a 6star food. So one of the bests. No byproducts, no wheat, soy and so on. I am hoping it is this simple. And that the change in food will bring her coat back to what it was and the itching will stop.

Has anyone else used this food brand? I have never used Blue Wilderness so would love peoples opinions that have used this one.

Karen
07-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Hopefully, unlike me, Sheena isn't allergic to fish! Let us know how it goes.

NicoleLJ
07-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Well she always gets the tuna and salmon juice when we are using the canned ones. And never has any side effects from it. So we will see.

MonicanHonda
07-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Excellent food... the only thing is that it isn't a single source protein... so if she ends up still acting allergic... I would try switching to a single source. (Wilderness Salmon has fish and chicken)

I hope your problems get worked out :) And remember you don't have to feed as much since it's not filled with fillers.

Freedom
07-10-2010, 08:39 AM
I just checked it on dogfoodanalysis.com (don't know if that is the site you use too?) It is 34% protein, which is good as well!

Many of the 6 star foods are up at 40% to 42% protein. For my bichons, that is way too high. They need about 28% protein, so I have had to switch back to something with grain in it.

The review made no mention on ethoxyquin. I had used Taste of the Wild for the past 7 or 8 months and only just learned it contains this chemical. So last Tuesday we switched . . . again. :rolleyes:

Finding good food for our pets is challenging!

If you have some time, check out this book at the library: The Whole Pet Diet by Andi Brown. She includes recipes to make food for your dog / cat, and explains what each of the herbs does. I have found it quite helpful and ended up buying a copy.

Good luck Sheena, itching is not fun!