PDA

View Full Version : Some advice...

primabella
10-22-2002, 03:54 PM
well the breeder i was keeping in touch with said that her dog had her litter of puppies yesterday! i'm so excited! her litter was the one that i was supposed to get my sheltie from. i havn't really discussed this with my parents yet, but i need some advice.

i don't know whether or not i should get this dog from this litter now (they would be ready by the week of christmas) and stay with them for those two weeks and then go to school or wait for the litter comming in summer and have two months with the dog. believe me, i wouldn't abandon the dog when i go back to school, i'm just saying, i wouldn't have as much time with the dog. my mom doesn't work so she would be at home with him all day. there are advantages and disadvantages of both and i need some *expert* advice. hehe ;) please help.:)

if anyone wants to see the pups (they're are only three:(), and their mom >>click here (http://premina.ca/strawberrys.htm)

tatsxxx11
10-22-2002, 04:11 PM
Awwwww, how precious!!!:) I know, the temptation is great!:D Personally, though I know it's hard to resist them, I would wait until the summer when I was home and had tons of time to spend with the puppy, playing, bonding, going to Puppy K and obedience class, etc! I'm sure your Mom would take great care of him or her. But, if he or she is really to be YOUR dog, I would think it would be nice to be there every day to enjoy her and love her and learn the ins and outs of raising a puppy! I think you would really love the expereience!

primabella
10-22-2002, 04:43 PM
thanks! i'm waiting to discuss everything with my parents and siblings before making any descison. the dog wouldn't actually be MINE, but everyone's, so we all have a say in it. :D thank you for your advice. any more would be greatly appreciated :D

tatsxxx11
10-22-2002, 04:54 PM
Ah, a group effort!!:D Plan B sounds great too!! I'm sure others will bark in shortly with more opinions!!:)

slleipnir
10-22-2002, 05:04 PM
I got Zeke not that long ago, and I'm still in school. i got Josie in the summer a long time ago. If i had to deside which to go with, I'd pick summer next time. I really wanted to spend all my time with my little pup when I 1st got him (not that I don't now, but you know what I mean ;D) I just couldn't resist him and I REALLLY wanted him..If you go summer, then you'll have all your time to play with and train it :D Thats just my opinion though :D

primabella
10-22-2002, 05:28 PM
thanks:) you see, i'm stuck now, because if i choose winter, at least i'll have gone through the worst part of the year with a dog and expect it to only get better. plus, i'll have my mind off the dog (in that way) because i know he will be home with me and i'll be able to concentrate on school. i won't be daydreaming about him.

but then, if i go for summer, i know i can devote ALL my time to him and play, train and spend every moment i can.

:(i don't know what to do. i know a lot of you will probably say sumer, but i can't wait!! :( hehe;)

thanks guys :D

Tina
10-22-2002, 07:00 PM
hmmm....it is a tough choice. I would say go ahead and get the puppy. But I say about everyone on here will say wait till summer. The puppies are awfully cute aren't they?:)

primabella
10-22-2002, 07:19 PM
lol, yes they are:D thanks

and can i just add, that not only are your pets adorable but so is kaitlynne. ;)

Tina
10-22-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by primabella
lol, yes they are:D thanks

and can i just add, that not only are your pets adorable but so is kaitlynne. ;)

Thank you!:)

manda99
10-22-2002, 07:26 PM
Tough choice!

My 2 cents... Get a puppy now. I see you're in Canada, I would expect the winters are pretty cold?
If you get him now you'll have 2 great weeks and then only a couple months (during which time you can do obedience training) til summer - and by that time he'll be old enough to really enjoy the summertime! All his shots, probably neutered/spayed already... Really coming into doglife.... Able to play more...

I got my puppy in April and I we had a lot of fun towards the end of the summer - but now he's amazing! (He's 8 months old...)

Anyway, my opinion... But whatever you go - good luck and those are some CUTE puppies! :)

-amanda-

Aspen and Misty
10-22-2002, 08:44 PM
Hmm..I got Chewy in the summer and the sad thing was he didn't really want to play till about the time school started :rolleyes: . All eh wanted to do was eat, sleep and CHEW on everything LOL. I would get one now so that by summer you can have him playing ball and you can really do things with him.

Ash

PS: We have a Sheltie, you picked an amazing breed! Enjoy your little guy or girl Shelties are the best, none like um.

Dixieland Dancer
10-23-2002, 10:02 AM
I would say winter! Two reasons.... 1. Housetraining will go much faster. Pup will associate outside with potty since it will be too cold to stay outside. 2. I always worry about Christmas pups being a novelty and then abandoned when the novelty wears off. It doesn't sound like this would be the case with your family! :D

primabella
10-23-2002, 02:08 PM
thank you so much for your advice! i spoke to the breeder and she said she will be keeping the female to herself, so i would have a male :) if i get one now. the points you brought up are true, thank you. :)