PDA

View Full Version : Kitten found in crate from China UPDATE 21 - going home!

Catty1
07-09-2010, 09:20 AM
:eek::eek::eek:

I'm just glad she's ok! :eek::eek:

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100708/CGY_kitty_crate_100708/20100708/?hub=CalgaryHome

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ImageShrinker?http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20100708/Kitten.jpg,430,241

Workers were shocked to find a cat in a crate from China

Kitten found in crate from China

Updated: Thu Jul. 08 2010 18:51:02

A crew at Icon Stone and Tiling in Calgary got a huge surprise while unloading a crate from China on Thursday.

Inside they found a kitten.

She was scared and emaciated, but she was okay.

Staff put out some food and water to try to coax the cat out of her hiding spot.

In the end crews had to remove 24 slabs of granite to get to the approximately six-month-old kitten.

Staff then called the Humane Society for help.

They believe the cat had been in the crate about one month and appeared very skinny.

Fortunately, the Humane Society's Maria Spina was able to catch the kitty and take her to safety.

catmandu
07-09-2010, 09:33 AM
There are probably many Strays in China:(:( as there are all over the World.
We are glad that that little Stray is now in safe hands:love::love: where she will hopefully find her Furr Ever Home and her Place in The Sun:love::love::love:

Catty1
07-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Gary, someone at the plant already wants to adopt her when she is healthier! Looks like she will be ok.

The staff said it was "emotional" - words from the forklift guy - how sweet that they all cared so much.

They have named her Mandarin. :D:love:

lvpets2002
07-09-2010, 10:45 AM
:love: OMG I am so glad this baby is ok.. My gosh did they have the crate in the middle of the granite?? Poor wittle one how so horrible.. I am so glad she already has new furrever parents & a home to go too when she is well.. Huggss & Whisker Kissess Wittle One..

MoonandBean
07-09-2010, 10:45 AM
A month without food or water?

Karen
07-09-2010, 11:17 AM
I am guessing she was a stray who crawled into a crate on the loading dock in China, and no one knew she was in there, poor little thing!

krazyaboutkatz
07-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Poor kitty.:( I'm so glad that this story had a happy ending.:)

KnightOwl
07-09-2010, 11:52 AM
The little one certainly had an angel looking over her.

Glad she is OK and has a family waiting for her.

The world is NOT as bad as we are told it is after all.

moosmom
07-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Some people suck. How could anyone do that do a precious little baby like that??? Despicable!!!

Karen
07-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Some people suck. How could anyone do that do a precious little baby like that??? Despicable!!!

Moosmom, I don't think anyone did that to her on purpose, I think she wandered into one of the crates on the dock in China, and no one knew. I'm sure the picture they are showing is of her in a crate at the Humane Society.

Barbara
07-09-2010, 01:33 PM
After all she did what so many people did: leaving her country in immense hardship for a better future. A true Canadian;)
I am so happy she's ok :)

phesina
07-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Uh oh.. an illegal immigrant!

What a wonderful happy ending to what could easily have been a horror story.

Laura's Babies
07-09-2010, 02:29 PM
Another heart warming story. Unbelievable that she lived! I would have to name her Angel as she sure had one watching over her..

lvpets2002
07-09-2010, 02:57 PM
;) Well at least she is a KittLegal Immee now.. I think she looks some like my Carmela.. She for sure is one lucky wittle girl..

Uh oh.. an illegal immigrant!

Catty1
07-09-2010, 05:12 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2010/07/09/calgary-stowaway-kitten.html

Stowaway cat in Calgary Humane Society's care
Last Updated: Friday, July 9, 2010 | 3:21 PM MT
CBC News

A stowaway kitten found in a steel shipping container that arrived in Calgary from China is now in the care of the Calgary Humane Society.

The six-month-old calico cat, which has been named Mandarin by the society, was found Thursday scared and dehydrated among an order of stone slabs by ICON Stone and Tile after spending more than six weeks in a crate.

The humane society believe she lived off mice and drank condensation dripping from a roof.

The kitten is undergoing a full medical checkup and will be quarantined for the next two weeks.

ETA: this pic seems a little clearer...what a pretty Tortie girl!
http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/3255491.bin

Catty1
07-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Another photo from Calgary Humane - amazing what a little hydration can do! :D

http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/?src=http://www.calgarysun.com/news/alberta/2010/07/08/news_cat.jpg&size=248x186

What a PRETTY girl!

phesina
07-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Ohhhh... isn't she just ADORABLE?!!! :love::love::love::love::love::love:

Does she purr in Chinese?

columbine
07-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Ohhhh... isn't she just ADORABLE?!!! :love::love::love::love::love::love:

Does she purr in Chinese?

You know, I bet she can say "Ni hao ma?" (How are you?)

Love, Columbine

Barbara
07-10-2010, 04:16 AM
Ohhhh she is so cute! What a little fighter :)

Medusa
07-10-2010, 05:28 AM
Oh my goodness, she's adorable! One whole month in that crate! A strong little fighter! :love:

Catty1
10-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Stowaway kitten healthy, adopted
When she was found in a shipping container, Mandarin was dehydrated and weighed less than a kilogram.
Last Updated: Monday, October 4, 2010 | 2:11 PM MT

CBC News

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/topstories/2010/10/04/cgy-mandarin.jpg
Mandarin, a calico cat discovered in a shipping container in July, is healthy again and has been adopted. (Calgary Humane Society/Facebook)

More than four months and thousands of kilometres later, a stowaway kitten from China has found a new home in Calgary.

Mandarin, as the calico cat has been christened, was discovered scared and dehydrated in a steel shipping container in July.

Employees of ICON Stone and Tile rescued her after she had spent more than six weeks among their order of stone slabs.

The Calgary Humane Society, which has been taking care of the kitten for the last three months, believed she survived by eating mice and drinking condensation dripping from a roof.

Six-month-old Mandarin weighed less than a kilogram when she arrived at the Humane Society, but now weighs in at close to four kilograms — actually a little bit on the plump side.

The cat is going home with an employee of the tile company.

Her care at the shelter was covered by more than $1,000 in donations.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2010/10/04/calgary-stowaway-kitten-healthy-adoption-home.html#ixzz11QPTrGBH

lvpets2002
10-04-2010, 04:05 PM
:love: Awwee She is such a Cutie Pie..

Laura's Babies
10-04-2010, 04:20 PM
She sure is a very special kitty and should be treated like royality for the rest of her life!

Sundance
10-04-2010, 04:50 PM
What a beautiful little tortie. I'm so glad she has found a forever home and won't have to worry about eating mice and licking condensation ever again. I :love: a happy ending :p

Karen
10-04-2010, 05:27 PM
What a sweetie, and we are glad she'll have a new home! Many ships used to carry cats to control any rodent problems, but modern shipping vessels are no place for a wee kitten!

Medusa
10-04-2010, 05:35 PM
I love a happy ending! :D

phesina
10-04-2010, 07:20 PM
What a beautiful young woman she has grown into!

What a delightful story, and what a wonderful ending.

Now if only the 500 other kitties at the Calgary H.S. could find homes too... :love::love::love::love::love::love:...

Mandarin
07-09-2013, 12:25 AM
My story... July 8, 2010 there was a stowaway kitten in a container of granite which traveled all the way from China to Calgary. When we discovered her upon opening the container we notified SPCA and of course the media. While waiting to get this poor little malnourished kitten out to safety we named it Mandarin. She was immediately taken into quarantine at the time only weighing 900 grams. After a very long road of medical issues and finally able to be released with a clean bill of health, I finally was able to adopt this crazy little kitty we called Mandarin! To me today is my little China Girl's birthday... Happy 3rd birthday Mandarin... 祝你生日快樂普通話 Zhù nǐ shēngrì kuàilè pǔtōnghuà. Hahaha :)) Thank you everyone at the Calgary, AB. Humaine Society for everything they did to keep her healthy and alive.

Catty1
07-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Happy Birthday Mandarin!

Any chance of an updated picture? :D

phesina
07-09-2013, 11:14 AM
OOOOOOOOOoohhhhhhhhhh..... how delightful!

Happy HAPPY birthday #3, dearest little Mandarin! It was so nice to re-read your story here. We'd LOVE to see some new pictures of you and your family!!!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Barbara
07-09-2013, 03:17 PM
How wonderful to hear from you and Mandarin! Orion and Kiri send best birthday wishes:)

Karen
07-09-2013, 05:41 PM
Dear Mandarin, so glad you joined to update us, and Happiest of Birthdays, pretty girl!