PDA

View Full Version : Heatwave!

Freedom
07-06-2010, 04:37 PM
We're having a Heat wave - a tropical heat wave! :D

Three days or more reaching 90 degrees; today is day 3.

High today = 101! Last time we reached that: July 21-22, 1991.

Last time we reached 100: Aug 2, 2006

Heat index: 108

We have had rolling power outages since midnight; no power out for me as yet.

AND water bans are popping up all around. Better water my veggie garden this evening.

Predicted LOW for overnight? 76!

Thank goodness, all the news stations are reminding folks to get their pets inside in this weather. And not to leave pets or children in cars.

pomtzu
07-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Join the club. We've been dying down here for a couple of weeks now and the same forecast for the next 10 days. :(

Bring on the snow! :cool:

chocolatepuppy
07-06-2010, 05:15 PM
Amen to the snow!:cool: Same here, 90* right now. :rolleyes: The 70* at night is the worst!!!:(

todd
07-06-2010, 07:41 PM
yes in the 90,s tell friday

lizbud
07-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Amen to the snow!:cool: Same here, 90* right now. :rolleyes: The 70* at night is the worst!!!:(

Ditto in Indy. When the humidity creeps up close to the temp, then you
know it's bad. :rolleyes:

Karen
07-06-2010, 08:30 PM
I dislike it, but certain loved ones think this temp is fine! So I don't complain too much, just drink a LOT of cold water.

Freedom
07-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Well, they have changed the official high for today to 102!

I prefer this over the snow. At least I CAN go out, and the days are long and bright.

BitsyNaceyDog
07-07-2010, 06:03 AM
Some how you all took our Florida weather from us- THANK YOU! Instead of being unbearably hot on the 4th of July like it usually is we had lovely temperatures in the lower 80's. We're back in the 90's now, but the cool front was wonderful while it was here.

Freedom
07-07-2010, 08:17 AM
You are welcome.

Could you take it back now? PLEASE! :D

Catlady711
07-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Day 3 here of 93+ degrees, and humid to boot. Night temps in the mid 70's.

My poor little A/C is working overtime since Sunday. It's only a small single room unit, however with my open floor plan it has to cool 4 rooms and my open stairwell to the upstairs!!:eek: During the hottest part of the day cranked up on full, it only keeps the main area of the house down to 82 degrees or so! Still sweaty but better than 90. My electric bill is gonna be a doozy this month.

Only thing is Cami has to live in a separate room upstairs so she's got the full brunt of the heat. I have several fans up there blowing like crazy and her blinds all closed to keep the sun from beaming in. Poor thing. Although she seems to take the heat much better than I am. lol

momcat
07-07-2010, 12:40 PM
AAAGGGHHH!!!!!!!

Yesterday in Trenton, the temperature hit 106! At 11:00 last night it was still 92. When I got up at 6:00 this morning temp was 85, by the time I left for work around 7:30 it was over 90. We're not sure we even want to know what it is now.

One of my co-workers and I decided that whoever invented air conditioning should be elevated to sainthood!

pomtzu
07-07-2010, 01:35 PM
AAAGGGHHH!!!!!!!

Yesterday in Trenton, the temperature hit 106! At 11:00 last night it was still 92. When I got up at 6:00 this morning temp was 85, by the time I left for work around 7:30 it was over 90. We're not sure we even want to know what it is now.

One of my co-workers and I decided that whoever invented air conditioning should be elevated to sainthood!

Much the same here, but I think we only hit 102 yesterday. It was 85 here at 6 a.m. today too. And I really don't even want to know what it is right now either.

Then it was panic time here for me - the a.c. went out!!! Called our regular guy and the office said no one was available till tomorrow. Hell - I'd be dead by then! Gave the girl on the phone a sob story about how I was a "senior" with some health issues and I needed to have a.c., and a guy was out in less than an hour. :D It was a simple fix - just a relay switch burned out in the blower fan motor, probably from a power surge, and it was back up and running in no time.

That was way too close for comfort!!!! :eek::p:)

redbird
07-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Join the club. We've been dying down here for a couple of weeks now and the same forecast for the next 10 days. :(

Bring on the snow! :cool:

Here in NJ it has been a heatwave also and I hate it. Luckily I have lost no power yet and hope this weather cools down very soon. Here is some snow from last winter:

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p129/caroltree/P2050036.jpg :eek:

lvpets2002
07-07-2010, 03:20 PM
:) Yup you all in the East are having Texas Heat && we here in TX is having mid to upper 90's temps.. Normaly we would have already had numerous days with over 100% temps..

Freedom
07-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Thanks, Carol, I feel better now! Oh wait, I am sitting in front of the a/c duct and it just came on as I saw your snow pic. :D

chocolatepuppy
07-07-2010, 05:05 PM
My poor little A/C is working overtime since Sunday. It's only a small single room unit, however with my open floor plan it has to cool 4 rooms and my open stairwell to the upstairs!!:eek: During the hottest part of the day cranked up on full, it only keeps the main area of the house down to 82 degrees or so! Still sweaty but better than 90. My electric bill is gonna be a doozy this month.
Same here, only I have no upstairs.

redbird
07-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Thanks, Carol, I feel better now! Oh wait, I am sitting in front of the a/c duct and it just came on as I saw your snow pic. :D

Stay cool...:cool:

momcat
07-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Gave the girl on the phone a sob story about how I was a "senior" with some health issues and I needed to have a.c.

I'm happy to know your a.c. problem turned out to be minor and you're up and running again. And I do understand the health problems with this heat. It tends to make my diabetes go absolutely ballistic! With having to do more frequent testing I don't have any finger tips left.

THINK SNOW!!!!!

Carol, Thank you so very much for your picture of that beautiful snow! I love snow and can't wait for winter to come back!

Asiel
07-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Much the same here, but I think we only hit 102 yesterday. It was 85 here at 6 a.m. today too. And I really don't even want to know what it is right now either.

Then it was panic time here for me - the a.c. went out!!! Called our regular guy and the office said no one was available till tomorrow. Hell - I'd be dead by then! Gave the girl on the phone a sob story about how I was a "senior" with some health issues and I needed to have a.c., and a guy was out in less than an hour. :D It was a simple fix - just a relay switch burned out in the blower fan motor, probably from a power surge, and it was back up and running in no time.

That was way too close for comfort!!!! :eek::p:)

Hey, that was quick thinking on your part, you didn't really lie though. I guess we're all hit with the same heat wave, since the weekend the temps have been reaching 39 which is not usual around here. The a/c has been running non stop and yes, the person who invented it should be elevated to sainthood. Were we really complaining about the cold just two months ago...our prayers have been answered.

smokey the elder
07-08-2010, 09:53 AM
My town had 4 days in a row over 100F. That hasn't ever happened, to my knowledge. It's cooler today, and we got a tiny bit of rain.

Freedom
07-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Now send it this way, Smoky !

Grace
07-08-2010, 01:41 PM
A brief shower just passed over us (southeast Michigan). Temp dropped from 94° to 78° in about 15 minutes. Only problem is - there's too much daylight left, and I fear the temp will climb back up - along with the humidity.

This is supposed to be the beginning of cooler temps for us, though.

kitten645
07-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Good thoughts to all suffering extreme temps. I count my blessings to be in moderate CA. Earthquakes and all! Spending the day at the pool!

pomtzu
07-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Here ya' go -

Think cool.......

And to think that this was just a few months ago..........:eek:

chocolatepuppy
07-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Thank you pomtzu!!!:D It's just cooling down to 89* now!:rolleyes: How about this, from February!:cool:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=64&pictureid=2224

Freedom
07-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Today's high was 84, so the heatwave is OVER. WHEW!

We went to an outdoor concert this evening, Dad the 4 fluffs and I. It was by the Bay, beautiful breeze off the water, good turn out. WONDERFUL to be outdoors, lol.

Pinot's Mom
07-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Things "cooled down" to 96 today.:rolleyes: High the past couple of days was 106. We so desperately need rain; there are no lawns and the trees are starting to look a little sad :(. PLEASE - rain and maybe 80's???

Catlady711
07-13-2010, 11:26 AM
Starting tomorrow they're forcasting almost a week of a second heat wave. Hope that poor overworked A/C holds up. Sheesh. I like warm summers but this is nuts!

Randi
07-13-2010, 11:38 AM
We've had it hot here, too, but it's humidity that kills me! Last night, I had 29.2C in my bedroom - simply impossible to sleep. I have some top windows open all the way and the lower only a bit, because I'm afraid Fister will sleep there and fall out.

lizbud
07-13-2010, 12:35 PM
We've had it hot here, too, but it's humidity that kills me! Last night, I had 29.2C in my bedroom - simply impossible to sleep. I have some top windows open all the way and the lower only a bit, because I'm afraid Fister will sleep there and fall out.

If someone shipped over a window AC for you, would it work with your
electricity outlets? It would made of world of difference for you & Fister.:)

Randi
07-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Liz, I don't know what a window AC is - LOL! Some kind of air condition? However, it does seem to cool down a bit now and my course is finished the end of this week. Then I can sleep in, if neccesary. ;)

Thanks for thinking of us. :love:

Pembroke_Corgi
07-13-2010, 02:03 PM
It was very nice last week, but this week has been hot. We have a portable air conditioner we put in the finished basement (where it's already cooler) that we reserve for use on really hot days. We are in the basement now- and the cats are taking advantage of the cooler air by wanting to snuggle with me. :)

We don't have a lot of humidity here so it doesn't feel quite as bad, but we also have less air pressure because of the altitude, so it's easy to get a sunburn. On really hot, sunny days like today, it feels like you are literally baking outside!

Freedom
07-13-2010, 03:20 PM
If someone shipped over a window AC for you, would it work with your electricity outlets? It would made of world of difference for you & Fister.:)

No, their power system is different. It is not just the plugs, it is the actual electric wattage.

pomtzu
07-13-2010, 03:29 PM
No, their power system is different. It is not just the plugs, it is the actual electric wattage.

Isn't it that we are AC (alternating current), and they are DC (direct current)?

Asiel
07-13-2010, 07:45 PM
We had a huge thunderstorm with heavy rain yesterday for about 4 hours but it stopped after supper and nothing had cooled down. We're still in the high
30's but it feels worse with the humidity. The rain did help the fields and lawns but I think we'd need a steady week of rain to get everything back to normal. This is so unusual for us but after the long cold and humid winter I think I can make do with this sun and heat even if it means being cooped up with the a/c running non stop.

Marigold2
07-17-2010, 11:39 PM
OMG please let this horrible heat wave end and some cool, clean, refresing rain start.

chocolatepuppy
07-18-2010, 06:23 AM
It was 80* at midnight last night!:eek: Back up to 88* today.:rolleyes:

Freedom
07-18-2010, 08:50 AM
Isn't it that we are AC (alternating current), and they are DC (direct current)?

Yup, think that is it.

So we are now in our SECOND heatwave of this summer! Unbelievable what a hot summer we are having. We rarely get ONE heatwave, let alone TWO! And it is still early in the season.

kokopup
07-18-2010, 10:00 AM
pomtzu

The Power in Europe is not DC It is 50 Hertz AC where ours is 60 hertz ac. Our voltage standards are 115v ac and 220 volts 60 hertz AC. The European voltage standard is 220-240volts 50 Hertz. If you sent a 220 volt ac Air conditioning to Europe it would work but the compressor and fan speeds would be slower. The speed of motors is determined by the power frequency, in Europe 50 hertz. Our 115v conditioner would not work there, because it would have double its normal voltage.

pomtzu
07-18-2010, 10:24 AM
pomtzu

The Power in Europe is not DC It is 50 Hertz AC where ours is 60 hertz ac. Our voltage standards are 115v ac and 220 volts 60 hertz AC. The European voltage standard is 220-240volts 50 Hertz. If you sent a 220 volt ac Air conditioning to Europe it would work but the compressor and fan speeds would be slower. The speed of motors is determined by the power frequency, in Europe 50 hertz. Our 115v conditioner would not work there, because it would have double its normal voltage.

Okay - now I got ya - but it's plain as mud to me. :p
I know that I've heard when people travel to Europe, that small appliances like hair dryers won't work there, without some kind of converter.
Did I get that part right??? :confused::D

kokopup
07-18-2010, 10:40 AM
pomtzu

Okay - now I got ya - but it's plain as mud to me.
I know that I've heard when people travel to Europe, that small appliances like hair dryers won't work there, without some kind of converter.
Did I get that part right???

You do need a plug adapter because our plugs are very different than theirs,
If you use a 115v hair dryer with an adapter it will work but the heat output will be reduced because their voltage is 220v. Things like TV's and other electronic devices will not work even with an adapter. They will probably smoke and burn up the instant it is turned on. There are inverter devices that will convert voltage and frequency, but they would be very expensive.

momcat
07-18-2010, 03:16 PM
OMG please let this horrible heat wave end and some cool, clean, refresing rain start.

According to our local news, Trenton is in its 5th heatwave of this awful summer and there's no end in sight. The next 7 days are expected to be above 90 degrees. It was already 80 degrees at 7:00 this morning.

Like many other areas, we're in desperate need of rain. Everywhere you look the grass is brown and the ground is so dry it's like a rock.

I'm a winter lover anyway and would love to go back to January and February!

Marigold2
07-18-2010, 06:53 PM
Heavy thunderstorms are on th way for Ohio. :D:D:D
I love winter as well Momcat

chocolatepuppy
07-18-2010, 06:57 PM
I give, I give! Stop the heat!!!:eek: Nice and cool tomorrow! 82* :D

Marigold2
07-19-2010, 08:47 PM
The sky clouded, the wind started and then maybe 50 rain drops and then the sun came out with the lovest rainbow I ave ever seen. But rain how I long for the rain...................

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-20-2010, 09:10 AM
pomtzu

You do need a plug adapter because our plugs are very different than theirs,
If you use a 115v hair dryer with an adapter it will work but the heat output will be reduced because their voltage is 220v. Things like TV's and other electronic devices will not work even with an adapter. They will probably smoke and burn up the instant it is turned on. There are inverter devices that will convert voltage and frequency, but they would be very expensive.

You've explained this so well!! I am sure you have been in Europe already !!
In Belgium we have that system too:)

There is also a heatwave here.....! NOT easy to live in, when you know that AC isn't yet very popular here! We have a big fan in our bedroom, but that's it!!
I swear, if we ever have another house built, it MUST have AC everywhere!!!

Randi
07-20-2010, 10:17 AM
When I visited CA, I brought a converter and it worked fine charging my batteries for the camera. :) However, I borrowed an American hairdryer.

In a hotel in Spain, John and I blew the fuses in whole building one time, when we took his shaver out of the plug and put my hairdryer in another. We had just arrived and had complained about the noise from the disco downstairs. We got a quiet night and moved to another hotel the next morning. :D

pomtzu
07-20-2010, 10:34 AM
In a hotel in Spain, John and I blew the fuses in whole building one time, when we took his shaver out of the plug and put my hairdryer in another. We had just arrived and had complained about the noise from the disco downstairs. We got a quiet night and moved to another hotel the next morning. :D

Oops!!! :D That's one way to quiet things down. Are you sure you didn't plan it that way??? :confused:;) That's just so funny........:D

Randi
07-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Oops!!! :D That's one way to quiet things down. Are you sure you didn't plan it that way???
Well, subconsciously (is that a word? LOL!) we might have done! :D

Asiel
07-20-2010, 07:49 PM
When I visited CA, I brought a converter and it worked fine charging my batteries for the camera. :) However, I borrowed an American hairdryer.

Thanks for the laugh, that was too funny. Subconsciously is a word and I bet it applies here :D

We're getting thunder,lightning and heavy rain here tonight. It isn't cooling things down at all but at least everything is getting a good soaking, we might see green grass again. Maybe tomorrow will be cooler if the wind shifts during the night.

Marigold2
07-20-2010, 09:28 PM
The dogs the snow. It's like I died and went to heaven. :D:D:D

Thank you pomtzu!!!:D It's just cooling down to 89* now!:rolleyes: How about this, from February!:cool:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=64&pictureid=2224

chocolatepuppy
07-20-2010, 10:39 PM
The dogs the snow. It's like I died and went to heaven. :D:D:D

Heaven indeed! I love snow and love playing with my dogs in the snow!!!:D

lizbud
07-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Randi, I loved your story. Sooo funny.:D:D I'll bet you two had a good
laugh over that.:)

I swear I will never talk bad about the cold weather ever again.:)

Randi
07-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Thanks Asiel... I was just too tired to look up the word up last night. ;)

Liz, you can bet we had a really good laugh! :D The icing on the cake was that we got a much better hotel room. :cool:

Btw, it has cooled down here, at least it feels like it, because the humidity is lower, but the sun is sharper. :)

Liz, if you ever visit Copenhagen, I think you'll like the temperatures we have here - AND I know another girl from Indiana who lives here. She is a catlover, of course!

chocolatepuppy
07-22-2010, 06:28 AM
85* today, 91* tomorrow :rolleyes:

pomtzu
07-22-2010, 06:43 AM
Still in the miserable 90's here - with 99 forecast for Saturday. Of course that means it will be even hotter!
We all need a break from this. Problem is - when the heck are we going to get it????? :confused::(

pomtzu
07-24-2010, 01:25 PM
I don't think we'll reach 99 today like was forecast, since right now it is somewhat overcast. It's ONLY 95, but the heat index is 108!!! Open the door to go outside, and it's like a blast furnace. :eek: I am so, so, so, so SICK of this weather............:mad:

ETA: 4:30
I think we topped it out for the day. It made it to 97 with the heat index of 113!

chocolatepuppy
07-24-2010, 05:32 PM
89*F, feels Like: 96* here right now.:rolleyes: Tomorrow, 79* for the high!!!:D Better break out my winter coat!!!:p

momcat
07-25-2010, 12:23 PM
Tomorrow, 79* for the high!!!:D Better break out my winter coat!!!:p

We're expecting (or rather hoping for) an arctic blast here in Trenton for Monday and Tuesday, reports are saying 88 degrees. Our heavy jackets and extra blankets are already out.

Now if we could only get some desperately needed rain! The grass everywhere is brown and the ground is like a rock.

The only ones coming out ahead during this horrible summer are the electric & power companies with air conditioners and fans having to run non-stop.

ENOUGH ALREADY!!! :mad: :confused:

mruffruff
07-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Another day of temperatures near 100. It's been a week since we had a temperature under 95. The heat index (what it feels like) is around 112. Even nighttime teperatures stay around 76.

I wonder how Scarlet and Rhett could handle this stuff back in their day.

lizbud
07-27-2010, 01:18 PM
This unusual summer has played hell with my Hydrangea blooms too.:(:(
The sun has burned up most of the flowers.I have a precious few left on
the far side of the bush where there is a little shade. Bummer.:(

pomtzu
07-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Grass is not supposed to crunch underfoot, but it sure does this year. The only good thing, is that it doesn't have to be cut!!! :eek::)

Asiel
07-27-2010, 01:38 PM
37 here today and it feels a lot hotter than that. The forecast is for rain tomorrow so I think the humidity makes it worse. I was out this morning when it was cooler but now I'm locked up with the a/c. Gave the dog a bath, put her on the deck and she was dry in less than five minutes. Took her in the yard to brush her and thankfully she had left all the hair in the tub so I rushed back inside.
But, after the cold humid winter we had I'm not going to complain, I find it easier to stay in and at least see the sun shining. I almost wish things could be like this till Christmas, I dread the thought of another 7 mos of below freezing weather.

chocolatepuppy
07-27-2010, 06:42 PM
Been a bit cooler,meaning low 80s, but another near 90* tomorrow!:rolleyes:

lizbud
07-28-2010, 06:52 PM
WE had a heat advisory going on all day today.It's just about to expire
at 8pm. Thankfully, no t-storms yet, maybe later tonight & then cooler 80s
tomorrow, Ah, can hardly wait.:cool:

Daisy and Delilah
07-28-2010, 09:22 PM
I'm thrilled we are going into the mid 90's only tomorrow instead of the 100's we've had for days. Well.......ok......97 or 98.:(

mon
07-24-2018, 05:27 PM
Hot here too babes. The cats are lying on the balcony like wee, hairy throw rugs. Lily is on her back with her tiny paws in the air trying to feel some windage. SO cute, poor babies. The air conditioner is on upstairs but they's too hot and lazy to walk up the stairs. No worries, I'll carry them up myself if it gets too hot 🤜🏻🤛 That would certainly tick them off..... 😻