PDA

View Full Version : Public service announcement:

Lady's Human
07-06-2010, 11:33 AM
If you don't have a will,

GET ONE!

It will avoid all sorts of unpleasant issues (Custody of minor children, property, insurance.....)

Please?

Catty1
07-06-2010, 11:51 AM
I have one...my lawyer got disbarred...it's in another lawyer's files now...need $400 to finish it (it includes a Personal Directive, which is what a Living Will is technically called in Canada).

However, the cemetery where my dad and sister are buried has a sign for will kits, available at the office. I have gone over a few wills, including retyping my cousin's, and started up my own based on my sister's a while back.

Think I will get that kit, do my own, and get it notarized. Thanks so much for the reminder.

phesina
07-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Thank you! Yes, that is EXCELLENT advice.

I do have one, made two or three years ago.

I think I want to make a few changes in specific bequests, but at least if I don't manage to do that, my estate (such as it is) goes first to the lifetime care of whatever cats or pets I have at the time and then whatever is left afterwards to the Best Friends Animal Society.

Since we are all animal lovers here, I encourage everyone to make it official that your love for animals extends beyond your lifetime! :love::love::love::love::love::love:

Freedom
07-06-2010, 04:33 PM
My problem is: WHO do I know who can care for my crew of 14???

Until I can answer that, I do have a problem with the care for the pets provision. :rolleyes:

Karen
07-06-2010, 05:40 PM

Until I can answer that, I do have a problem with the care for the pets provision. :rolleyes:

You can have a basic will, and work on that provision later. Maybe you can talk to a lawyer about it, and she or he would have a suggestion, maybe some sort of trust could be set up? I dunno, I am not a lawyer!

Lady's Human
07-06-2010, 05:58 PM
ANYTHING is better than nothing.

lizbud
07-06-2010, 08:47 PM
ANYTHING is better than nothing.

You sound like you're speaking from personal experience. I've told my
children what I would want, but I guess a will would be better for everyone.

Lady's Human
07-06-2010, 08:55 PM
They all know what you want, but does the probate court know?

With a will they needn't even get involved.

Cataholic
07-07-2010, 09:07 AM
They all know what you want, but does the probate court know?

With a will they needn't even get involved.

In Ohio, this is not accurate. A will gets admitted to probate. Probate isn't this evil thing many people think of it as. A properly done will/estate planning document makes probate a breeze. Their involvement will depend on the work done prior to one's death.

phesina
07-07-2010, 02:41 PM

This is one of my concerns, too. As it is set up now, my sister will take responsibility and care for my crew. But I don't have anyone else lined up in case she is not available. I don't really know who else I could even ask to do this.

Lady's Human
07-07-2010, 03:05 PM
In Ohio, this is not accurate. A will gets admitted to probate. Probate isn't this evil thing many people think of it as. A properly done will/estate planning document makes probate a breeze. Their involvement will depend on the work done prior to one's death.

Thanks for the correction, Cataholic.

It's what I meant, but it's not what came out.