PDA

View Full Version : First ever digital drawing - help?

JuniorxMyxLove
07-04-2010, 05:48 PM
I decided to take the plunge and do number 6 from my "summer 2010 to do list"...draw/paint digitally. A friend told me to draw Paul McCartney, so I did!

After roughly 3 hours...this is the current "final" [I will be changing things though...like the neck]

Please critique and tell me what should be changed!

I know that there are no straight lines at ALL because I drew this with my mouse and I can't make very straight lines, haha [and it was SO much fun to try and get the shape of the eyes right..I was getting like squares.] and the shading on the neck is REALLY rough...I need to go and smooth it all out but that takes FOREVER because I have to get each shade [didn't use the blur tool, as tempted as I was].

anyways...enough rambling.
Paul!
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t75/xxOHFxx/Riding/maccadigital.jpg

Thank you!! :D

phesina
07-04-2010, 06:37 PM
I think you did a wonderful job! Paul looks great!

Marigold2
07-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Very nice. Such emotion in the eyes.

anna_66
07-05-2010, 06:11 AM
That's really good for doing it with a mouse!

pomtzu
07-05-2010, 06:38 AM
Only one thing I would change. The shadow to the right of his nose is too dark, and runs into his eyebrow. Can you lighten the shadow?

Other than that - it's really good. ;) Obviously I could never do something like that since I'm not at all artistically gifted. I can't draw a decent stick figure. :eek::D

JuniorxMyxLove
07-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Only one thing I would change. The shadow to the right of his nose is too dark, and runs into his eyebrow. Can you lighten the shadow?

Other than that - it's really good. ;) Obviously I could never do something like that since I'm not at all artistically gifted. I can't draw a decent stick figure. :eek::D

I can lighten it, and I will certainly play around with that...but the reference picture [which is saved to my comp and I might have to upload it] is ALMOST that dark. I think the shadow may end a little too abruptly, though.

Thank you all!

Karen
07-05-2010, 08:36 PM
The thing about doing art is you can improve on a photo, it doesn't have to be an accurate tracing! I would also lighten up the are a bit more on the right side of his face, the shadow is again very dark, and makes that side of his face look a bit too narrow. All in all, though, it's good, and you did a great job on the eyes, which are so recognizably his!

And just saying folks, when you get used to it, using a mouse is no more difficult than using a pencil, and you actually have even more control than a paintbrush, as a paintbrush has neither an "undo" button, or a "save as" feature!

JuniorxMyxLove
07-06-2010, 09:45 AM
The thing about doing art is you can improve on a photo, it doesn't have to be an accurate tracing! I would also lighten up the are a bit more on the right side of his face, the shadow is again very dark, and makes that side of his face look a bit too narrow. All in all, though, it's good, and you did a great job on the eyes, which are so recognizably his!

And just saying folks, when you get used to it, using a mouse is no more difficult than using a pencil, and you actually have even more control than a paintbrush, as a paintbrush has neither an "undo" button, or a "save as" feature!

Yeah that makes sense. I'm just afraid to make any changes, hahaha. :rolleyes:I'll definitely play around with lightening shadows today, though.

I suppose I have to get used to it, then, because this was ridiculously difficult. It took me like 10 minutes to get the shape of the eyes because I couldn't get it with the mouse.