PDA

View Full Version : Good thoughts for my dad, please HE'S HOME #76

jennielynn1970
07-01-2010, 09:53 PM
My dad was hit by a car tonight while crossing the street on his 4 wheeler (I know, shouldn't have been doing that).

So far we know he's lost his toe on his right foot, all the skin on the top of the foot (you can see his bones and tendons and all that good stuff). His ankle is broken along with bones in his foot. Tons of road rash on his legs and his upper body from hitting the street.

Thankfully, he wasn't injured worse. They're going to debride his wounds tonight and then do surgery on the foot within a day or two. Not sure if any of it will be plastic surgery or what they will do. They are hoping to save most of his foot.

Your good thoughts and prayers for him would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Taz_Zoee
07-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Oh my goodness Jennie! I will definitely keep your dad in my thoughts.

Marigold2
07-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Thank goodness he is going to be ok. I am sorry your family has to go through this. Best wishes to all of you.

Bonny
07-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Jenn, Good Thoughts & Prayers sent your dads way.

kitten645
07-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Jenn..positive thoughts for you and yours. I'm so sorry. :love:
Claudia

Catty1
07-01-2010, 10:36 PM
OH heavens! Prayers going out, I hope he heals up soon!:love:

RICHARD
07-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Oh dear,.

Sending you and your dad a DOUBLE DOSE of good thoughts.

Give him and Hug and a Slug for us!

Cinder & Smoke
07-01-2010, 10:47 PM
OH -wow!! :eek:

Super OUWCHIE!! :(

Nasty way to celebrate the 4th! :(
PT Prayers for a full recovery and a *save* on the foot!

Tell Dad we're ALL wishing him the Best.
Let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

{{{Hugs}}} to Dad & the Family.
:love:

ramanth
07-01-2010, 11:11 PM
What a scary thing to happen!! I hope he pulls through and they can save his foot.

My parents can sympathise with the road rash (they hit a deer while on the motorcycle).

Karen
07-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Yikes! Prayers on the way for him!

krazyaboutkatz
07-01-2010, 11:36 PM
Jenn, I'm so sorry to hear this.:( I hope that he'll make a complete and speedy recovery. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

robinh
07-02-2010, 06:14 AM
Many prayers being said that things come out well for him.

Medusa
07-02-2010, 06:31 AM
Of course, prayers are going up right now......

momcat
07-02-2010, 07:46 AM
Oh Jen, I am so sorry to hear about your Dad. Please know that my prayers are going out for him and for your family.

If you don't mind, I would like to include your Dad on our prayer concern list at my church.

Freedom
07-02-2010, 08:26 AM
YOWZER!!!

Prayers for your Dad, and prayers for all his family, from RI.

Anikaca77
07-02-2010, 09:29 AM
OH my...prays coming big time for your Dad.

jennielynn1970
07-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Thank you everyone for your concern. I haven't heard yet today how he is doing or feeling. My mom is going to go down later on, and I'll be going down tomorrow after I get my hair cut. I need to look presentable, not like the gypsy that dI look like now with just a hairband on my head and my hair all wild from being up here at Sunny Rest. At least now, with being up here, when he comes home I'll be only 3miles away from home and will be able to visit more often. I know he's going to be out of commission for a while so he won't be driving anywhere.

For those of you who don't know, my dad has macular degeneration, and is legally blind. Not a good combination for him and a 4 wheeler/ATV. But you can't hold this man back, it just doesn't work. His hearing isn't what it used to be either, so I'm imagining that he didn't hear the car coming (most new cars are almost silent anyway when they're speeding down the road), and I doubt he saw anything much with the eyesight problem. So a speeding woman and an old man on a 4 wheeler did not make good company on that road.

I imagine they'll both get tickets. My dad for driving across the road to get to my brother's road with the 4 wheeler (that's a kick in the arse for ya), and the woman for her speeding. You should see the skid marks!!! YIKES!!!

One good update was that they found all 5 toes, and they are very hopeful that they won't have to amputate any. They're hopeful for his foot as well. WHEW!!! They said it was more of a cut and pulling of the skin, than a rubbing off of the skin, so they'll be able to do more of a pull up and tucking of the skin, rather than grafting. HOpe they need to do no grafting!

I'll post more as info becomes available. All he pitched a fit about last night was the neck brace they had him in and he wanted it off, and no one would remove it, lol. He's so impatient. NOT a patient patient, lol.

Thanks all again for the thoughts and prayers, they mean a lot.

Grace
07-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Continuing prayers for all of - maybe most of all for your mother :) She's the one who will have to deal with him after he gets home. He sounds like me - nothing is going to keep him down.

Glad to hear a relatively positive report this morning.

phesina
07-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Prayers and good wishes and healing energies are being sent to your father and all the family. And a candle: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=11128600

lvpets2002
07-02-2010, 02:07 PM
:( Oh my goodness.. Poor Dad & I hope he is not in too much pain.. Prayers prayers & Lighted Candles for your Dad.. Get Well Soon.. Keep us posted ok..

caseysmom
07-02-2010, 04:20 PM
I am praying for your father...how scary.

Daisy and Delilah
07-02-2010, 04:46 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this, Jennie. I'm thinking good thoughts and praying now for all of you.:(

gini
07-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Many prayers offered that your Dad will be just fine and that this event will just be a dim memory soon.

momcat
07-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Is there any news on your Dad yet, Jen? He and your family have been very much in my thoughts. This morning prayers were offered during our church service for Dad's quick and complete recovery.

anna_66
07-05-2010, 06:16 AM
I'm just seeing this so I hope good news is in order and that he is doing well.
Many good wishes and thoughts headed his way.

jennielynn1970
07-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Small update on my dad....

They are holding off on doing any surgery until at least tomorrow. They keep washing the wound area, or flushing it what ever it is that they do to these large areas of wounds, and they want to see how much of the foot they will be able to save. Most of the toes look pink, but the big toe looks a dusky blue color. Not good.

He's getting more aches and pains now too. I think the whole accident is sinking in, and he's not so chipper any longer. He just had both knees replaced about 2 months ago, but they look fine the doctor said. He has bruising below them, but that's all!!! Nothing on his face except where he injured his nose, again, so lucky.

He just keeps repeating how lucky his is, and he's right. It could have been so much worse. Hopefully they can save the toe and the foot, but if not, at least he has his arms and his legs, right??

Thank you to all who are thinking of him and sending up prayers, they are still very much needed!

Daisy and Delilah
07-05-2010, 02:59 PM
More thought and prayers coming to you all, Jennie.

pomtzu
07-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Wishing for the best possible outcome for your Dad.

Freedom
07-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Continued prayers from RI for him, for his family, and the folks treating him.

Pembroke_Corgi
07-05-2010, 05:29 PM
I'm sorry to hear your dad was involved in such a bad accident. I hope that he will get to keep his foot and toes. I'll keep him in my thoughts.

caseysmom
07-06-2010, 01:37 AM
I continue to pray for your Father and I hope he keeps all of his foot. Hopefully they are making him more comfortable with pain medication.

jennielynn1970
07-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Bad news update.

The surgeon wants to take off all the toes on the right foot. Something about thrombosis and the skin degrading. He's not doing anything until he gets an OK from my dad, so more surgery tomorrow. :(

Thanks to all who are thinking and praying for my dad. He needs all he can get.

Husky_mom
07-06-2010, 04:23 PM
I know it must be so hard to decide.. but if itīs for the best... still hard to do..

hope he does well.. (()hugs)

have you looked for a second opinion?.. perhaps blood thinners.. or why are they mentioning thrombosis?.. has he already shown potential to develop this?

caseysmom
07-06-2010, 05:11 PM
It may effect his balance some but if it will save his foot its worth it.

jennielynn1970
07-06-2010, 05:19 PM
I know it must be so hard to decide.. but if itīs for the best... still hard to do..

hope he does well.. (()hugs)

have you looked for a second opinion?.. perhaps blood thinners.. or why are they mentioning thrombosis?.. has he already shown potential to develop this?

He's already on blood thinners, he's had major heart surgery before this, so they want to alleviate any possibility for other clots to go up to his heart.

I'm guessing there are clots at the arteries by his toes?? My mom wasn't really certain about everything the doctor was saying, but they have some of the best doctors in the state there, so I guess that's where he'll be staying.

Karen
07-06-2010, 05:36 PM
He will still be in our prayers. I agree with the statement that it's better to lose toes than a whole foot, hopefully they will save as much as they can without risking his life.

phesina
07-06-2010, 05:41 PM
More prayers for your father.

krazyaboutkatz
07-06-2010, 05:46 PM
I'm sorry to hear the latest news.:( I'll continue to keep your dad in my thoughts and prayers.

momcat
07-06-2010, 07:34 PM
I'm so sorry to see your latest update. Please know that your Dad remains in my prayers.

For you and your Mom, I'm sending many [[[[[HUGS]]]]] and all the support I can offer!

Taz_Zoee
07-07-2010, 01:08 AM
Oh no. :( Still have your dad and your family in my thoughts.

Bonny
07-07-2010, 07:08 AM
Jenn, Stay strong & good thoughts & prayers to you, your dad, mom, & family. If you have great doctors that is a plus plus there. If they take his toes he will still have his foot to walk on & they can do so much with special shoes. God Bless

Anikaca77
07-07-2010, 07:56 AM
Jenn-

My prays are coming for your dad and for the rest of your family as well.

Melissa

robinh
07-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Saying prayers for the family.

jennielynn1970
07-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Well, the news is mixed.

They removed my dad's toes down to one level, meaning they cut from the little toe across to the big toe joint and it's now all one straight line. They took skin from the bottom of his foot and wrapped it up around the top of the foot because that skin wasn't healing. They are not sure that the skin from the bottom of his foot will be good however, because it is so callused and mushed up from the accident. They had a vascular surgeon come in, but he wasn't sure what he would be able to do.

So... right now it's wait and see time. If the skin starts to heal they do the skin grafting on his foot. If it doesn't, they remove more of the foot. Not good.

I'm hoping and praying that his circulation will be good and that he will heal up quickly and easily.

Thanks again for all the thoughts and prayers. He sure needs them right now.

Karen
07-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Prayers still on the way!

shais_mom
07-07-2010, 10:24 PM
you have had such a rough week.
big hugs to you!
prayers on the way.

Catty1
07-07-2010, 11:04 PM
Prayers - PT Prayers for your dad to heal well and soon.:love:

ramanth
07-07-2010, 11:07 PM
More prayers that the skin starts to heal!! :love:

gini
07-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Many healing prayers being offered for you and your Dad.

caseysmom
07-08-2010, 12:35 AM
More prayers on the way....

Alysser
07-08-2010, 12:58 AM
I am so sorry I have not yet replied to this thread. Jen I am so sorry to hear about your Dad. I hope he heals up. Thinking of him, and you!

Medusa
07-08-2010, 07:12 AM
Prayers continuing here, too, Jen. Keep the faythe. :love:

Freedom
07-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Continued prayers from RI for Dad and for all of you.

Anikaca77
07-08-2010, 08:45 AM
I'm sorry to hear that they had to take his toes away. My prays are coming for your dad and for the rest of your family.

Melissa

lvpets2002
07-08-2010, 10:05 AM
:( Oh I sure hope your Dad gets better real soon.. Sure hope his foot starts to healing.. Huggss & Prayers being sent..

krazyaboutkatz
07-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Lots more prayers are going out to your dad. I hope everything will go well. Also lots of hugs are going out to you. You've been through a lot lately. Please take care. ((((HUGS)))

K9karen
07-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Jenn, sorry I just saw this. I hope your dad heals from this surgery and won't need more. I'm glad he's in good hands. Hugs to you and your parents. :love:

Daisy and Delilah
07-09-2010, 06:53 PM
More thoughts and prayers going out from me, Jennie. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

jennielynn1970
07-10-2010, 04:20 AM
Latest news is GOOD NEWS!!!

The vascular surgeon was in to see him, did an arteriogram (sp??) on his body and found that he has excellent circulation in his foot and leg!! Yay!! This means that as long as he heals up within the next few days they will be doing plastic surgery on his foot, and putting in skin grafts to cover the places that are bare. He should be home on crutches within a day or two of that procedure (which is scheduled for Tuesday of next week).

Dad is very bored and impatient with the whole deal at this point. He wants to be home. Other than that, his spirits are good!!

Medusa
07-10-2010, 05:41 AM
Excellent news, Jen! Better and better.....:love:

RobiLee
07-10-2010, 05:49 AM
That is great news! Keeping him in my thoughts.

Laura's Babies
07-10-2010, 09:39 AM
ALRIGHT!!! This is GREAT news and I am SO happy to read this! (HAPPY DANCES!) I admit I had to laugh with this..

Dad is very bored and impatient with the whole deal at this point. He wants to be home. Other than that, his spirits are good!!

That will make his recovery go at a lot faster pace that he is impatient.. BUT, warn him, he must DO AS TOLD by the doctors and not overdo!

Taz_Zoee
07-10-2010, 12:26 PM
This is awesome!!! Woo Hoo!!! :D :D

robinh
07-10-2010, 03:46 PM
Woo Hoo - that is great news!

momcat
07-10-2010, 07:18 PM
yes!!!!!!!!

krazyaboutkatz
07-10-2010, 09:03 PM
This is wonderful news!!!:) I hope that everything will go smoothly and he'll get to come home very soon.:)

Pinot's Mom
07-11-2010, 07:15 AM
So glad to hear this news! Praying he comes home soon!

jennielynn1970
07-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Talked with dad today, he seems to be in really good spirits!! He's getting skin graft surgery tomorrow, and then he should be able to go home in a few days after that. He's soooooo impatient about that right now!

He's using a walker, very carefully. He tried crutches, but didn't have enough support with them, so glad he's using the walker, but hope he can keep hopping to keep weight off his foot! That's the tough part of this, no weight on the foot. Crutches would have been better for that, but oh well.

Thanks again for all the thoughts and prayers, I know they are working wonders! Will update again when there is more news.

shais_mom
07-12-2010, 03:43 PM
so glad to hear he's in great spirits - that's half the battle!
<3!

momcat
07-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Hi Jenn,
I can't even begin to tellyou how happy I am to hear that your Dad is doing so well! My prayers and positive thoughts continue for all of you.

Could I ask you to give Dad a big hi and a hug from me?

phesina
07-12-2010, 06:46 PM
This is such good news about your father, Jenn! His attitude is terrific, which is a strong point in his favor. He sounds ready and willing and able to take on whatever tasks life requires of him now.

Continuing prayers and good wishes are being sent.

Daisy and Delilah
07-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Great News!! I hope he continues to recover and gets better very soon. The boredom is maddening sometimes. I did about 8,000 crossword puzzles when I had knee surgeries.:)

Catty1
07-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Good news! Your dad has something to look forward to! :):love::love:

ramanth
07-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Great news!!! :D

caseysmom
07-13-2010, 12:09 AM
Talked with dad today, he seems to be in really good spirits!! He's getting skin graft surgery tomorrow, and then he should be able to go home in a few days after that. He's soooooo impatient about that right now!

He's using a walker, very carefully. He tried crutches, but didn't have enough support with them, so glad he's using the walker, but hope he can keep hopping to keep weight off his foot! That's the tough part of this, no weight on the foot. Crutches would have been better for that, but oh well.

Thanks again for all the thoughts and prayers, I know they are working wonders! Will update again when there is more news.

I am so glad he is doing better, and I loved loved loved my knee walker when I broke my foot.

jennielynn1970
07-14-2010, 02:03 PM
Well, I guess he bugged the nurses and doctors enough, because they allowed my father to go HOME today!!!

I don't know who was more excited, my mom or my dad, lol. Mom is kinda anxious, and I know she should be, especially with my father who is Mr. Impatient. I hope he just takes things slow enough so that he heals well and doesn't need to go back in to the hospital.

So, good news, all in all!! Oh, and my dad's favorite kitty, Isabelle, will be beyond herself with excitement! she has missed my dad so much, and just was inconsolable these past 2 weeks. She will be happier than both mom and dad put together, I think!!

Karen
07-14-2010, 02:09 PM
Congratulations, and prayers for patience and healing still ongoing!

lvpets2002
07-14-2010, 02:49 PM
:) Second Woo Hoo for you.. That is Great News that your dad is coming home.. Sending Healing Prayers & Huggss..

Laura's Babies
07-14-2010, 04:36 PM
YAHOOOOOOOO! He is HOME! This is wonderful news!! Make him take care of himself so he can heal and get on with his life.

phesina
07-14-2010, 08:14 PM
FANTASTIC news there! Welcome home, Jenn's dad!

Isabelle will be there, so happily, with her own special nursing care, too!

K9karen
07-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Mr Jenn's Dad....BEHAVE YOURSELF!!!!!
Glad you're home! Be a good boy now.

krazyaboutkatz
07-14-2010, 10:40 PM
This is wonderful news!!!:D Yes, I hope he'll behave himself and do as the doctor has ordered. I'm sure he'll get lots of loving from his furry nurse Isabelle.:)

jennielynn1970
07-15-2010, 06:53 PM
Dad behave?! HA!!:eek::rolleyes:

Freckles
07-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Hide the keys.

momcat
07-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Welcome home, Mr. Jenn's Dad! Take it easy, get your rest, follow your doctor's orders, and continue to get better more each day!

jennielynn1970
07-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Hide the keys.

yeah...... you wanna deal with my dad?! LOL. He's actually being really well behaved for being my dad. People are coming to visit him, which is good to hear, and good for his health. I'm glad they are looking out for him!

Well wishes have been sent and he's very appreciative!! Didn't know he had so many fans all over the place, lol.