PDA

View Full Version : Buying pet meds via internet

pomtzu
06-28-2010, 01:27 PM
In an attempt to save money, more and more people are doing this. I know of people here on PT that do - myself included.

I have never had a problem buying and receiving what I expected that I was paying for. Many sites have very good prices, and much cheaper than you can purchase from your vet - and it's the genuine article - I read the small print looking for discrepancies. I purchase Advantix flea med for the dogs from a place in Australia. I save a bundle over what I have to pay at the vet, even when I have to pay a max of $4.95 for shipping, and they also have specials that offer free shipping too. I still buy the pup's Heartguard Plus thru the vet, since she is just as cheap, if not cheaper than any site I have found. Can't figure that one, but I'm not about to question it.

So when Myndi became sick recently, her vet put her on Hi-Vite Drops, a high potency vitamin supplement fortified with liver and iron. It's a little pricey - $10.75 for a 1oz. bottle, and on the front of the box it specifically says Sold Exclusively Through Veterinarians".. Being curious to see if I could purchase it on line, by some chance, I Googled it and found it available. The first place that listed it as being available that I checked was Amazon.com - and sure enough - there it was at about half the price I had paid. I thought I had struck paydirt - same box, same name - but wait - a different pharmaceutical manufacturer and I noticed that the logo on the front of the box was different. Of course, they post a fuzzy pic in hopes that no one will notice I suppose. Ok - red flags are flying, so I go the ingredient analysis and start comparing what I have, to what's being sold by this knock-off. Incredible - the potency of the on line one, was a fraction of the one that I have. This may be all well and good as a regular supplement for a healthy animal, but for a sick animal such as Myndi is/was, it would do her almost no good at all. Glad that I'm so picky at times, and take the time to read into things, otherwise I probably would have been suckered into this one.

Just a little info and a "buyer beware". The outside packaging may look almost identical, but it's what's inside that counts. Read, so that you are getting what you think and assume that you're buying. It could be a matter of your pet's health that is at stake.

And one thing that I don't understand - how can this knock-off get away with selling under the same name??? Doesn't sound legal to me. :confused::mad:

happylabs
06-28-2010, 02:55 PM
I have never bought the meds online. Do you have to get a prescription from the vet first before you can order?

lvpets2002
06-28-2010, 03:00 PM
:) Thats my question too??
I have never bought the meds online. Do you have to get a prescription from the vet first before you can order?

pomtzu
06-28-2010, 03:05 PM
You only need a prescription for meds that would normally require it. The flea meds I use doesn't require one, but if I was to get the Heartguard on line, I would need a prescription. The web site will indicate if a script is needed or not.
If your vet is cool, they can fax it, otherwise, just get a copy and fax it or mail it yourself.

The site I buy from is: vetshoponline.com

sirrahbed
06-28-2010, 03:41 PM
I bought Advantage100 and Advantix from PetMeds to use on my granddogs and cats this summer and the price was very reasonable and the packaging from Bayer and very fresh. I would buy again but thank you for the heads up on some of the products!

pomtzu
06-28-2010, 03:55 PM
I bought Advantage100 and Advantix from PetMeds to use on my granddogs and cats this summer and the price was very reasonable and the packaging from Bayer and very fresh. I would buy again but thank you for the heads up on some of the products!

Next time you need to buy, check out the one I use for better pricing. I found PetMeds to be quite expensive as compared to others. Like anything else - comparison shop. :)

lvpets2002
06-28-2010, 04:05 PM
:) Well thanks you all.. This is some good info.. I have been considering buying from online stores, but just have never done it..

Freedom
06-28-2010, 05:25 PM
I do buy meds online, even prescription pet stuff.

My vet won't fax to them due to the high fraud rates. The practice is happy to give me the script, and I scan it and attach it to an email, after I place my order. I put the order number in the email. Works fine, and LOTS less money.

Ellie is SO right, you do have to verify that it is the same medicine. I also get my flea meds from Australia, but I've been advised by my vet that it is a different product as the bugs they have to address are different. Hmm, I've not had any trouble though.

*LabLoverKEB*
06-28-2010, 05:38 PM
Being in the veterinary field, I am not for buying medications online. No, not because I am not getting paid, but because every time you are prescribed a medication, your pet should have an exam and blood work done. Some medications animals are on need to have the levels checked, to check and see if the medication is indeed doing what it's supposed to be doing. People can purchase medications online thinking they know what their pet needs, when indeed they don't. :(

Like you guys have said, you have a prescription from your veterinarian faxed/mailed to the online pharmacy, to then be filled and shipped to you. That is different. It's the people who just think they need this, and buy it. I personally think that online pet pharmacy's should require blood work from the veterinarian prescribing, but that's just me.:)

sirrahbed
06-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Next time you need to buy, check out the one I use for better pricing. I found PetMeds to be quite expensive as compared to others. Like anything else - comparison shop. :)
Oh yes you are right!! I bought the 6 pack of Advantage100 and pay $67 at PetMeds - it is $49 at your site!! Does this ship from the US do you know? PetMeds orders arrive within only a few days while another company I used to order from shipped from Australia. Thanks!!

PS yes I see that is is shipped from out of the US but it does not say where so I am guessing it is Australia like I had used before - not a problem to me just sometimes may need things *quickly* as I did recently for granddogs (flea prevention) coming to visit - in which case PetMeds was perfect!!

pomtzu
06-28-2010, 10:46 PM
Oh yes you are right!! I bought the 6 pack of Advantage100 and pay $67 at PetMeds - it is $49 at your site!! Does this ship from the US do you know? PetMeds orders arrive within only a few days while another company I used to order from shipped from Australia. Thanks!!

PS yes I see that is is shipped from out of the US but it does not say where so I am guessing it is Australia like I had used before - not a problem to me just sometimes may need things *quickly* as I did recently for granddogs (flea prevention) coming to visit - in which case PetMeds was perfect!!

It does ship from Australia and it's about 10 days or maybe a little less. If you have the time and can wait, the savings are worth it. When I ordered the Advantix last Springs for the pups, I also got free shipping with the special they were offering. Normally it's $4.95, but that's the max you ever have to pay, no matter how large your order.

krazyaboutkatz
06-29-2010, 12:52 AM
I've only ordered advantage for my cats online and I've been using Entirely Pets. They seem to have great prices and will e-mail me coupon codes so I can save even more. They're also in Northern CA so it only takes a day or two for me to get my order. Since I have 4 cats, I always order the largest dog advantage and then I measure it out. It lasts me a long time too and since I've been using it I've never ever had any more flea problems.:)

krazyaboutkatz
06-29-2010, 01:02 AM
I just checked vetshoponline against entirelypets.com and they much less expensive. I've now added this to my favorites. Thanks for the info pomtzu.:)

smokey the elder
06-29-2010, 07:17 AM
Being in the veterinary field, I am not for buying medications online. No, not because I am not getting paid, but because every time you are prescribed a medication, your pet should have an exam and blood work done. Some medications animals are on need to have the levels checked, to check and see if the medication is indeed doing what it's supposed to be doing. People can purchase medications online thinking they know what their pet needs, when indeed they don't. :(

Like you guys have said, you have a prescription from your veterinarian faxed/mailed to the online pharmacy, to then be filled and shipped to you. That is different. It's the people who just think they need this, and buy it. I personally think that online pet pharmacy's should require blood work from the veterinarian prescribing, but that's just me.:)

What if one's pet has a chronic condition (diabetes, cardiomyopathy, hyperthyroidism, etc.)? For instance, diabetic syringes are MUCH cheaper at a human pharmacy or even WalMart, than through the vet; as are the ACE inhibitors and beta blockers used in cardiomyopathy. I realize that the animal must be seen frequently by the vet, but rather than dispensing the meds at the office, my vet would write a scrip so that I could have it filled for less money.

kokopup
06-29-2010, 09:01 AM
I buy all my pet meds from Australia including Heartgard. There is no perscription required on any of the meds I buy. I save a lot when i take advantage of their bundled offers that include the flea med and Heartgard. The thing that surprised me the most is their quick shipment time. I have always received my order on the third day after I order. I have never ordered from a US company that has delivery as quickly as this company. Google "equine-mega-store" for their web page.

pomtzu
06-29-2010, 09:23 AM
If it's only a few dollars that I would be saving, then I just buy from the vet. It's the big buck items that make buying on line wiorthwhile.

For example - the Advantix that I buy for the dogs is $80 for 6 doses from my vet, so that's only enough for 3 months for both pups. I pay $96 for 12 doses from the Australia supplier and will last for 6 months. Now that's a HUGE savings, and my last order had a special of free shipping too.

The Heartguard is $21.50 from my vet for 6 doses, and when I buy 2 boxes I always get a $5 mail-in rebate slip. On line prices for this product are the same and more, with no rebate, plus I would have to pay shipping, so buying this thru the vet is cheaper. Myndi's thyroid med thru the vet is only $10 for 100 pills and she only take one per day, so that wouldn't be worth the bother of trying to find them cheaper.

Cataholic
06-29-2010, 10:21 AM
I just checked vetshoponline against entirelypets.com and they much less expensive. I've now added this to my favorites. Thanks for the info pomtzu.:)

WAH!! I love entirelypets and now am very sad to realize I have been overpaying!

pomtzu
06-29-2010, 10:34 AM
WAH!! I love entirelypets and now am very sad to realize I have been overpaying!

So hop on the Australia bandwagon.....:D

kokopup
06-29-2010, 11:10 AM
I do not want to rock the boat but I compared prices on pet flea meds and
Equine-mega-store is 12 dollars cheaper than Entirelypets. That was the case for me since Koko's weight requires the 55 to 110 lb size. Shipping is $5
for any shipment and delivery is FAST.

pomtzu
06-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Rock on Bill! ;) That's why we comparison shop. :D

I checked them for the Advantix strength that I use - the 8-22 lb, and your site charges $35 for 3 doses, so that's almost as much as my vet charges. For 6 months it was $60. I think I'll stick with where I'm buying it now at $96 for 12 doses.

Thanks for the info tho. Maybe others here will find what they buy, cheaper where you buy yours.

krazyaboutkatz
06-29-2010, 11:26 AM
If it's only a few dollars that I would be saving, then I just buy from the vet. It's the big buck items that make buying on line wiorthwhile.

For example - the Advantix that I buy for the dogs is $80 for 6 doses from my vet, so that's only enough for 3 months for both pups. I pay $96 for 12 doses from the Australia supplier and will last for 6 months. Now that's a HUGE savings, and my last order had a special of free shipping too.

You'd be able to save even more money if you buy the largest dog Advantix and then you measure it out for each dog. You just need to know how much they weigh and what dose to give them. Then you tape off the amount on a syringe and you also need a container with a lid to keep the unused portion in until the next time you need it. I use an empty plastic testube that I got from my vet. I've saved so much money by measuring mine out over the years.:)

pomtzu
06-29-2010, 11:43 AM
You'd be able to save even more money if you buy the largest dog Advantix and then you measure it out for each dog. You just need to know how much they weigh and what dose to give them. Then you tape off the amount on a syringe and you also need a container with a lid to keep the unused portion in until the next time you need it. I use an empty plastic testube that I got from my vet. I've saved so much money by measuring mine out over the years.:)

I'd thought about that, but I just don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about doing it that way. With my luck, something would get screwed up. I know it's not rocket science, but I feel safer just buying the correct dosage.

Thanks for the suggestion tho.........:)

redbird
06-29-2010, 05:28 PM
:) Thats my question too??

Last year I tried getting a script for Advantage but my vet wouldn't give it to me since she had never seen Autumn yet. I'm having a major problem getting Autumn to the vet, had to cancel 3 appointments because she runs away and I just can't get her into the carrier, I have another appt. in two weeks. Anyway since I couldn't get the Advantage from my vet, I ordered it from 1800PetMeds and it's exactly the same. The shipping was free also.

Logan
06-30-2010, 08:59 AM
I am not an expert on this subject because I buy dog products for my dogs and cat products for my cats and I only buy them from my veterinarians because neither of them will provide written prescriptions for mail order purposes. They both are so reasonable on our vet charges, I don't mind them getting the up charge on the heartworm and flea meds. But, if I'm not mistaken, there is a major ingredient difference in the topical flea meds given to dogs versus cats and the dog meds include something that could be toxic to cats. I'm sorry I don't remember the specifics, but I would not risk using a dog flea treatment on my cats. I'll try to get the specifics and post again.

pomtzu
06-30-2010, 09:07 AM
But, if I'm not mistaken, there is a major ingredient difference in the topical flea meds given to dogs versus cats and the dog meds include something that could be toxic to cats. I'm sorry I don't remember the specifics, but I would not risk using a dog flea treatment on my cats.

Yes - I've read that too, but since I don't have any cats, it was something that was never an issue for me. There are warnings not to use on cats since there is an ingredient that cats cannot metabolize, tho I don't know what it is. I didn't mention it earlier in this thread, since there are folks that use the dog med on their cats, and with no adverse reactions.

sirrahbed
06-30-2010, 11:34 AM
Advantix cannot be used on cats but the ingredient in Advantage is the same. I even called Bayer to make sure. It is called Imidacloprid 9.1% I buy the 4ml Large dog tubes and so I can easily dose all of my cats with only one tube. But Advantix has something that cannot be used on cats. It would be easy to confuse the two Advantage and Advantix.

I found this site: http://www.lisaviolet.com/cathouse/advantage.html and it explains exactly the process I use. Some people will not approve but to me it is just good sense. I have spoken with several folks who also have the information shared with them by their vets. Some rescue folks and shelter folks also use it. Yes I suppose the ease of buying the individual tubes is more convenient but with multi-cat homes, this is a real cost saver. I use an insulin syringe that make it very easy to get the exact dose. It is a good option for me. Look, a tube of Advantage is about $10-$12 each for either a 1 pound kitten or a 55 pound dog. I can pay $60 to treat each cat individually with five small tubes or spend $12 for a large size and dose everyone.

Cataholic
06-30-2010, 12:01 PM
Advantix cannot be used on cats but the ingredient in Advantage is the same. I even called Bayer to make sure. It is called Imidacloprid 9.1% I buy the 4ml Large dog tubes and so I can easily dose all of my cats with only one tube. But Advantix has something that cannot be used on cats. It would be easy to confuse the two Advantage and Advantix.

I found this site: http://www.lisaviolet.com/cathouse/advantage.html and it explains exactly the process I use. Some people will not approve but to me it is just good sense. I have spoken with several folks who also have the information shared with them by their vets. Some rescue folks and shelter folks also use it. Yes I suppose the ease of buying the individual tubes is more convenient but with multi-cat homes, this is a real cost saver. I use an insulin syringe that make it very easy to get the exact dose. It is a good option for me. Look, a tube of Advantage is about $10-$12 each for either a 1 pound kitten or a 55 pound dog. I can pay $60 to treat each cat individually with five small tubes or spend $12 for a large size and dose everyone.

There are several rescues that I work with and I was told the exact same thing. Everyone can spend their money as they see fit. I choose to spend less. It allows me more freedom to save for those things where there isn't a cost savings available.

The "drug" market in the US is so bizarre. You can pay top dollar for an RX drug, OR, do what the pharmacists tells you to do- just take twice as much as the OTC, and save your money. There isn't any difference. Same with other meds, sometimes, and with pet meds, too.

krazyaboutkatz
07-01-2010, 01:13 AM
My former vet was the one who actually told me about buying the largest dog advantage and then measuring it out for my cats. He had already checked the list of ingredients on both the cat and dog packages and they're the same. I'm sure that there are some flea products that should only be used exclusively for either dogs or cats though and I have heard that Advantix is one of them. The money that I save allows me to take care of my cats even better.:)

smokey the elder
07-01-2010, 07:54 AM
For the person with Autumn: Advantage is sold over-the-counter now. I've seen it at Petsmart for a few months now.

AdvanTAGE can be split for cats (same concentration of active in the drug product.) AdvanTIX has some extra stuff that's toxic to cats. In fact, on the commercial for the OTC products by Petsmart they particularly point out not to use Advantix for cats.

Catlady711
07-03-2010, 02:07 AM

Agreed!

I've seen faxes come in at the hospital for heartworm meds in the wrong size, or other meds in the wrong strength. Makes me wonder what these people are thinking?

Most of the time the faxes come in for people who's pets we've not seen in 5 years or sometimes never seen at all! That is in violation of the patient/doctor relationship needed to prescribe meds, it would be illegal to ok a prescription in that case. Many times it's people just trying to get out of the yearly heartworm check up or follow up lab work, but all those faxes get sent back as 'denied, exam/lab work required'.

Also those online places sell so cheap because many times their products are gotten illegally, or could even be counterfeits. In a struggling economy who would you rather support: a) the huge multimillion dollar corporation that doesn't give jack about your pet, only your money or b) your local vet who takes care of your critters in addition to providing legal, and safe meds for your pet? I know that many times those online places hire a 'vet' on staff just to sign prescriptions for an animal they have never, nor will ever, see. That is illegal to dispense medications that way.

Just remember if your vet isn't getting money from their expensive inventory of meds they have to keep in stock for your convienence, they will raise their fees on other things to maintain an income level needed to survive in this economy. Otherwise they will quickly go out of business and you'll be on the search for a new vet. JMHO

*LabLoverKEB*
07-05-2010, 12:33 AM
Catlady, thanks! I think we both see eye to eye as we are both working in the veterinary field!:)