PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Merlin has stud tail :(

slick
06-26-2010, 02:20 PM
Mr. Merlin had a trip to the whitecoats today. I wanted Dr. Singh to look at his tail and apparently he has stud tail.

I have a groomer coming to my home tomorrow to help me give him a bath and to shave his knots off as well as the stud tail part. I want him to look purrdy for the next Catmobile trip. I've tried to groom him myself and got sliced and diced so I asked the vet for a mild sedative that I could give him an hour or two before the groomer arrives. Dr. Singh gave me something called acevet - 10 mg which would be the right dosage as Merlin weighed in at 10 lbs today.

Does anyone have any experience with stud tail or acevet med? Any complications with using acevet?

Many thanks.

slick

Barbara
06-26-2010, 02:24 PM
I'd never heard about stud tail but I looked it up. Hope Mr. Merlin can be treated and have a nice groomed tail.

Karen
06-26-2010, 03:29 PM
I, like Barbara, had to look it. Poor Merlin, hopefully he will consent to treatment and begin the healing process!

Give him a kiss on the noggin from me, okay?

snakemama
06-26-2010, 03:59 PM
I give ace to my kitties when we travel. (AWESOME because it also helps with motion sickness!) He'll be uncoordinated for a few hours, so maybe try to keep him somewhere that he can't climb onto/fall off of stuff. :)

catmandu
06-26-2010, 04:08 PM
I also had to look up stud tail , and now I know!
My Dear Mother used to say that it is a good day when you learn something new!!
All Of Our Prayers are coming for Merlin, there's a plate with his name on it at the King's Buffet Tuesday.:love::love::love:

cassiesmom
06-26-2010, 05:05 PM
I had to look up stud tail and Acevet, too. Dear sweet Merlin, I hope the Acevet will help you relax for the groomer, and I hope your stud tail will resolve quickly :love:!

momoffuzzyfaces
06-26-2010, 05:38 PM
I have no experience with either of those things. But I do offer prayers for Mr. Merlin and you!!! :love::love::love:

phesina
06-26-2010, 06:06 PM
All my kitties (especially Sparkler) and I are sending healing energies and loving good wishes to Mr. Merlin!

Freedom
06-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Prayers for calmness during the grooming, and recovery from stud tail!

silly boy, Merlin, moms are NOT to be sliced and diced, they are to be purred on!

Catlady711
06-26-2010, 06:25 PM
Sorry that your kitty is so uncooperative for you for grooming.:(

I guess I'm one of the few that didn't have to google stud tail. :p lol When Jack first showed up in my yard his vet said he had that. After a trip to the groomers and the vets for a neuter we have thankfully never had that problem with him since.

phesina
06-26-2010, 06:27 PM
To my dear Merlin, I just lit a candle for you, to help you get better! - http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=11090141

Love :love::love::love::love::love::love: from your Sparkler

krazyaboutkatz
06-27-2010, 12:47 AM
I'm sorry to hear that he has stud tail. Hopefully the groomer will be able to help him and it'll clear up quickly. I've never heard of acevet. I hope it'll make him calm. Good luck.:)

anna_66
06-27-2010, 07:11 AM
Hoping things went well!

Randi
06-27-2010, 09:38 AM
Slick, I'm sorry to hear Merlin has stud tail - I had to look it up, too. I'm sure you have already researched it, but here's a link anyway: http://www.purrinlot.com/cat-stud-tail.htm

I hope it clears up and I hope that the medicine will keep him calm while he's being groomed. I have not heard of Acevet. Of the medicine Fister has tried, Diazepam works best (2-5 mg., but he is big). I have given him that a few times on NY Eve.

Kisses to your wonderful boy from me and purrs from Fister. Heal up well, Merlin! :love:

lizbud
06-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Slick, I'm sorry to hear Merlin has stud tail - I had to look it up, too. I'm sure you have already researched it, but here's a link anyway: http://www.purrinlot.com/cat-stud-tail.htm

I hope it clears up and I hope that the medicine will keep him calm while he's being groomed. I have not heard of Acevet. Of the medicine Fister has tried, Diazepam works best (2-5 mg., but he is big). I have given him that a few times on NY Eve.

Kisses to your wonderful boy from me and purrs from Fister. Heal up well, Merlin! :love:

I'm another one that looked it up and I read the same link Randi.:) I
thought it explained it very well. I would never have thought of using
Dawn & corn starch. Learn something every day.

momcat
06-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Poor Mr. Merlin! I hope you're not too uncomfortable with your tail problem, sweetie. Just remember that Meowmie, your groomer, and your whitecoat want to help you feel better and make the problems go away. Please let them help you, okay?

The Catmobile leaves in just a few more days and I'm sure that you're going to look and feel your best on the trip.

Medusa
06-27-2010, 08:35 PM
Aw, poor Merlin. I had never heard of stud tail so, like the others, I looked it up. I guess I can add to this to my list of things I've learned on PT, huh? Prayers for Merlin and you, Slick. :love:

cassiesmom
06-29-2010, 03:21 PM
Dear sweet Merlin, how is your tail today?

slick
06-29-2010, 08:23 PM
Well, all I can tell you is what happened on Sunday. I do have pictures but it's such a pain to post them because it takes FOREVER to load them on photobucket. :mad:

Anyway, I was hoping I could get him all shaved but unfortunately my lovesick, mushy Merlin turns into a wild kitty when being worked on. Both the groomer and myself sustained some slicing and dicing even though he was "under the influence". So we only got part of his tummy and all of his tail shaved.

His little rat tail has black marks all over it - looks like blackheads. I've been cleaning it twice a day with Hydrogen Peroxide in the hopes to clean it up and even then, he's not that cooperative.

I'll try and upload some pictures tonight, but no promises. I need to spend time with my beloved treadmill. :rolleyes:

krazyaboutkatz
06-30-2010, 01:07 AM
Slick, I'm sorry to hear that Merlin didn't want to cooperate.:( I can relate because my very friendly Sky turns into a vicious cat when I try to trim his nails and he's also a bad cat at the groomers. I just can't understand how the sweetest cats can turn into the wildest cats at times.

I'm actually taking Storm, Sky, and Ziggy to the groomers this Sat. morning for their annual lion cuts. This is the only groomers,other than a mobile one, that I know of that will even work on cats. The owner knows how to work with them and she takes her time and does a little at a time so I'll drop them off at 10am and it'll probably be at least 4-5 hours before they're ready to be picked up.

They do muzzle them so they won't get bitten. They also don't believe in drugging them. I've been told that Ziggy is very easy to do probably because she's so scared. Storm and Sky will hiss, growl, and try to bite. Last year they told me that every time they tried to shave Sky, he would start peeing.:eek: Talk about embarrassing.:o They had to then put him in a sink to shave him so if he peed it would just go down the drain. I sure hope that all of my cats behave themselves this year.

I hope that the hydrogen peroxide will do the trick for Merlin's stud tail. At least he was able to have his tail shaved so you can see what's going on with it. I look forward to seeing some pictures of him. You know you can always attach them instead of using photobucket.

RICHARD
06-30-2010, 06:32 PM
I have a groomer coming to my home tomorrow to help me give him a bath and to shave his knots off as well as the stud tail part.

I may be too late!

MERLIN NOT THE KNOTS, DO NOT LET THEM TOUCH YOUR KNOTS....

oh, Sorry, I thought Slick meant something else......:confused::rolleyes::eek:

momoffuzzyfaces
06-30-2010, 09:14 PM
I may be too late!

MERLIN NOT THE KNOTS, DO NOT LET THEM TOUCH YOUR KNOTS....

oh, Sorry, I thought Slick meant something else......:confused::rolleyes::eek:

Um, Richard, I think those knots were taken care of a long time ago! ;) :love:

katladyd
07-01-2010, 01:01 AM
um, richard, i think those knots were taken care of a long time ago! ;) :love:

rotflmao!

cassiesmom
07-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Dear handsome Merlin, how is your tail?

shais_mom
07-10-2010, 10:56 PM
I'm sorry I came in late to this - I hope he is feeling better.
I too, have never heard of stud tail! learn something new everyday!