PDA

View Full Version : Got a question about featherbeds...

moosmom
06-26-2010, 01:52 PM
When I bought my bed, I bought a featherbed to put on top to make it cushier. Are they supposed to be taken off when the weather gets warmer? I don't know much about them and because the weather is so hot and humid it's making me sweat in my sleep.

pomtzu
06-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Don't know about the featherbed, but my down pillow does the same for me, and my head sweats like crazy using it in the warmer weather. I can't do without it tho, so I just wrap a heavy bath towel around it, and that takes care of the problem. Maybe there is some kind of cover you can get for it that would produce the same results for you.
Good luck..............:D

Catty1
06-26-2010, 02:59 PM
Try a light blanket or even just a sheet instead. I can't imagine using a down comforter where I am unless it's below the freezing point!:)

sirrahbed
06-26-2010, 04:57 PM
I take mine off in the winter, Donna. When it is hot, I think smooth sheets feel cooler than the featherbed topper. You might also try putting a mattress pad *over* the featherbed.

moosmom
06-26-2010, 05:08 PM
I've got a mattress pad over the featherbed AND a visco-elastic topper. I think tomorrow I'm going to take the featherbed off. I'm sure it'll be cooler. Thanks everybody!!

Barbara
06-27-2010, 04:25 AM
Down or featherbeds are the standard here- but in summer I only use a sheet. (I used to leave the down bed at the end of the bed so that Filou could have his nest in there.)

moosmom
06-27-2010, 05:49 AM
Barb,

Filou was one lucky boy!!! Thanks for the advice. I actually slept like a log last night, no sweat. I think sleep deprivation had ALOT to do with it considering I don't remember falling asleep.

Cataholic
06-27-2010, 11:26 AM
I have slept with a feather mattress (actually, it is a tick, not a mattress, what we call 'topper') for years and years. I have never taken off the topper in the summer, or any other time, except when J was an infant and I was worried about SIDS.

I also have a feather comforter that stays, like Barbara, at the foot of my bed in the really hot weather.

Feather/down is an insulator...both ways...it is kind of like people that shave their dogs/cats in the summer. That fur has an insulating effect both in the cold AND the heat. I think the feather mattress serves a purpose in the summer. :)

sirrahbed
06-27-2010, 12:43 PM
I keep thinking about this topic and wondering *why* that mattress topper just does not feel right in summer - no reason that it should be hot since it is *under* us in this case - but I can't stand it in summer. There is just something more cooling about smooth sheets that you can't feel with the feather topper. In winter, however, it is SO COZY!!!

I am thinking that the European featherbeds go *over* like covers?......what Americans call down or feather comforters/duvets? Or do they go both under AND over? In summer, I still like my down comforter because it is so light and cool.

Asiel
06-27-2010, 01:37 PM
I leave mine on year round because we have the a/c. I store the down comforter though. I think sweating and not sleeping has a lot to do with how tired you are and what you have for supper - I know I'll sweat to death even with the a/c if I have a heavy supper so I try to watch what I eat...key word "try". As for pillows I need the down pillows , anything else is just not comfy.

kitten645
06-27-2010, 03:32 PM
It presents warmth during the winter months by trapping entire body heat; a down feather bed will also retain you cool in summer. It's a natural product. Ducks don't shed in summer :D
Claudia