PDA

View Full Version : This is why you don't give out your number!

Anikaca77
06-25-2010, 02:00 PM
Ok a few months ago I was leaving my doctors office. A lady called me to as I was walking, and asked if I was heading into town and if she could get a lift.

Well I felt bad for her because it was hot outside but I figured I'd do the "nice" thing.

She got into my car noticing that there was some cat food on the floor. She said on do you have kitties. Well of course I said yes. I asked her if she had one she said she did and she showed me pictures of the kitty.

Well as we were talking she was mentioning about getting it fixed and I told her if she needed a ride to get her cat fixed to call me and I would be glad to help out.

Well BIG MISTAKE!

She called me this week saying she put the cat on Paws lists because she can't take care of her anymore and she has problems with her heart and she's on disability, etc. They have her on the list but it takes forever for them to get to a person. Anyway, she said the cat is pretty thin, looks sick, and had a mark under her chin and the back of her neck.

Well so went over to check this cat with a friend of mine. The cat was wearing a flea collar which is probably where the mark from under the chin happened and she did tell us that the cat fell off the balcony but who knows how long ago.

She just called me about 10 mins. ago saying that she got back from surgery and the cat is not doing well at all. I told her I don't have the $$ to take the cat to the vet. I gave her the SPCA's # and another vet # I was thinking I would go buy some kitten food or something and take it over to see if the cat would eat for me really quickly.

If I had extra $$ I would take it and if I think it's in bad bad shape I will take her to a vet but I don't know how I'd pay for it.

I wish people would take responsibility instead of trying to make me feel bad for not helping.

Melissa

Catty1
06-25-2010, 02:03 PM
I think maybe the SPCA should know about this situation! Call them! Maybe they can seize the cat instead of her surrendering it. She sure doesn't deserve to own a cat!

Put the SPCA on it and screen your calls. She will get tired of no answer after a while.

pomtzu
06-25-2010, 02:12 PM
No matter how big your heart is, for your own well being, you have to learn how to say no. You have enough issues of your own, without being drawn in to other people's problems. You can't help or fix everybody, even tho you want to, and I know that it makes you feel bad turning people and cats away. If you had the means to help, then that would be another story. Try to remember that charity starts at home.

Please take care Melissa. You have enough on your own plate without taking on more.

lvpets2002
06-25-2010, 02:28 PM
:) I so aggree as well..
No matter how big your heart is, for your own well being, you have to learn how to say no. You have enough issues of your own, without being drawn in to other people's problems. You can't help or fix everybody, even tho you want to, and I know that it makes you feel bad turning people and cats away. If you had the means to help, then that would be another story. Try to remember that charity starts at home.

Please take care Melissa. You have enough on your own plate without taking on more.

moosmom
06-25-2010, 05:22 PM
As a VERY good friend of mine told me, "You have to learn to say, I'm sorry, but I can't."

Awesome advice. I would notify the ASPCA and let them know what's going on.

catmandu
06-25-2010, 05:29 PM
I wonder if this Lady scouted your car, saw the Cat Food and then decided to see if you would take care of her Cat:confused:
That is a shame that that Poor Cat is so ill, the Poor Cat may be better off in a shelter where a Vet can at least give the Cat;s Guardian an idea of what is wrong.
I pray that they can help that Poor Cat, but do not feel badly that you cannot Melissa :love::love:

Anikaca77
06-26-2010, 06:45 AM
I've learned my lesson big time. I went over to her place right after I posted this and gave the cat some kitten food and some kitten can food (fancy feast) the cat was eating. I asked her if she called any of the numbers I gave her and she said that she called the SPCA and they gave her another number to call and she called her and left a message.

The lady did call her back and a vet appt. was scheduled last night. The lady was going to pay for her cat to get vet checked so I'm washing my hands of this. I did what I could and I'm glad someone else stepped up :)

Thank you all for the advice.
Melissa

Asiel
06-26-2010, 09:49 AM
You did more than a lot of others would have so don't beat yourself up. Some
people have a way of making others feel guilty for their problems, time to bow out and take care of your own problems.

phesina
06-26-2010, 10:40 AM
God bless you, Melissa. You did so much here.

Anikaca77
06-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Just found out that the cat tested positive for FELV.

I will call to find out what's going to happen but I know she was not put down so that's good. Out of all of my rescues I've never come across this I knew I would sooner or later. I just hope she will keep her. I'll ya posted.

Melissa