PDA

View Full Version : July 4

Marigold2
06-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Looking at the calendar and it is hard to believe that the 4<SUP>th</SUP> of July is almost upon us. Summer is going at a breathtaking speed it seems.
Time for fireworks, picnics, carnival rides and games, trips to the beach.
Most of the time we go to <ST1:pBay Village</ST1:p to see fireworks. We also go to Huntington Beach</ST1:p often that is where Mr. Dinks my grandson is on the first picture I posted.<O:p</O:p
Does anyone remember the murder of Marilyn Sheppard supposedly by her husband Sam Sheppard? It was turned into a series called The Fugitive? The murder happened on July 4<SUP>th</SUP> <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://petoftheday.com/talk/ /><st1:metricconverter ProductID=1954 in</st1:metricconverter> Bay Village, the house the murder was committed in was torn down about 10 -12 years ago and a new house was put in it’s place. I always think of Marilyn on July 4<SUP>th</SUP>.

I passed the house so many times without knowing it was the Sheppard house, not until it was torn down and I knew someone who worked in the new house did I know the location.
Funny how a city can be known for something that happened so long ago.
And then there is the unsolved murder of Amy Mihaljevic.

Safe, secure, very upscale <st1:City><ST1:pBay Village </ST1:p</st1:City>does not seem so safe after all. It truly is a lovely place full of interesting homes and some really great architeture. Because it borders on Lake Erie many of the homes have great lake views and private beaches. There is such a wide varity of houses built into odd shaped lots designed to capture the best view of the lake.
The Sheppards had a home right on the beach as well..
<O:p</O:p

pomtzu
06-25-2010, 07:14 AM
From happy to gloom - from sweet to sour - all in one short post. You certainly do have a knack for words, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised! :mad:

Asiel
06-25-2010, 10:10 AM
From happy to gloom - from sweet to sour - all in one short post. You certainly do have a knack for words, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised! :mad:

And there's your fireworks for the 4th of July. Glad we celebrate on the 1st out here. Nothing as grandiose as a murder to ruin our fireworks :confused:

Marigold2
06-27-2010, 07:05 PM

It is part of the local flavor and mystery of this town. No different from any hamlet or city with an interesting or rich history.
It's not doom it is fact. Many places are known for their pasts and many people flock to see and visit them.
Why all the criticism? You have never visited a ghost town, ruin, castle, haunted house?
Never read a horror book, real life drama?

Bonny
06-27-2010, 08:24 PM
We celebrate the 4th of July every night during the summer. :D The green fire flies put on a wonderful green luminary show.:cool: There is always murder & mayhem going on back in the woods day or night, you just can't escape it.:eek:

Marigold2
06-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Oh my :eek: Sounds wild and wonderful.

Bonny
06-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Marigold, As a child I use to catch the fire flies & put them in a canning jar with holes in the lid so they could breath. I would put them on the night stand & watch them flicker in the dark. It was the neatest thing & in the morning I would release them back out doors. Many years ago we took the horses out on a cool summer night ride. The fire flies were just thick it was the most beautiful thing to see. Those simple things in life are the most meaningful to me. :)

Marigold2
06-27-2010, 09:18 PM
What a wonderful memory.

momcat
06-27-2010, 09:36 PM
When I was growing up, the Fourth was a big family holiday at my uncle's farm in upstate New York. Watermelons were in the milk cooler in the barn for days so they were nice and cold and sooo good. We kids would keep the pits in our mouths then have a pit spitting contest, some of us would go on the back porch while the rest of us would wage war spitting watermelon pits from the ground to try and take over the back porch. When it would get dark, we'd make a circle on the driveway, catch lightening bugs, put them in the circle then see whose bug flew away first. If yours was the first to fly away, you were the winner.

Back then there were no computers or video games but my cousins and I never ran out of things to do. When all else failed, we made things up but in all honesty our parents were not always impressed with some of our stunts.

CountryWolf07
06-27-2010, 09:40 PM
It is part of the local flavor and mystery of this town. No different from any hamlet or city with an interesting or rich history.
It's not doom it is fact. Many places are known for their pasts and many people flock to see and visit them.
Why all the criticism? You have never visited a ghost town, ruin, castle, haunted house?
Never read a horror book, real life drama?

I am from a city near Bay Village - I had no idea about that.

snakemama
06-27-2010, 09:41 PM
I'm a party pooper, I guess. I've always disliked the 4th, and the week leading up to/after it, because it seems people have no consideration for others when it comes to setting off fireworks in the middle of the night every night for weeks. It totally spoils the mood of the holiday for me.

Alysser
06-27-2010, 10:18 PM
I've worked the last 3 years on the 4th. This 4th is a short shift so I am happy about that :)

chocolatepuppy
06-27-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm a party pooper, I guess. I've always disliked the 4th, and the week leading up to/after it, because it seems people have no consideration for others when it comes to setting off fireworks in the middle of the night every night for weeks. It totally spoils the mood of the holiday for me.

Amen! Noise is one thing, but where I live, the 4th is like a war zone. I see no sense in that. And it goes on for weeks here also.:rolleyes:

Medusa
06-28-2010, 07:38 AM

I'm w/you, snakemama. I do like the picnic and family/friends gathering but they can keep the fireworks. I didn't even like them as a child. I wish they could figure out a way to set them off w/o the noise. They're pretty but nerve wracking. Plus the amateur drinkers all seem to be out in force so I usually have a gathering at my house rather than drive. I received an invitation this year and I'm still mulling it over. If I leave before the fireworks, the hostess may be offended.

CountryWolf07
06-28-2010, 07:38 AM
Ah, I forgot to mention, I enjoy fireworks and all, but July 4th has become a sad/remembrance time of losing my grandparents. My grandmother passed away on July 3rd, 1999, on my parents' anniversary, and my grandfather passed away on July 6th, 2008. Can't help but get sad because I had a very close relationship with them. I just never really have enjoyed the holiday after those two specific dates. Boo. I know they'd want me to, but it's tough!

Bonny
06-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Sorry to read about your grandparents CountryWolf07. The day after Christmas my mom passed away it will be 9 years. I know how you feel.

I am always concerned someone will blow there fingers away or get burned from the fire works. I was at a party one year & a little girl got burned from a sparkler. In our state most of the fire works are illegal but it sounds like a war zone on the 4th. Our dogs hide in the basement to get away from the noise.

Catherinedana
06-28-2010, 09:24 AM
CHRISTINE, THE ALL-AMERICAN PARROT (lives with my friend Chuck in IL)
and
JADE THE ALL-AMERICAN QUAKER PARROT-GIRL (lives with my friend Dee Anne in NE)

pomtzu
06-28-2010, 11:23 AM
Here in DE, all fireworks, including sparklers, are illegal. That doesn't stop people from taking a quick trip to VA, and bringing them back by the carload. My son used to pick up some if he had reason to be in VA at all, but hasn't had any in years.
Last year, the not too bright folks next door were setting off rather big ones, and instead of walking across the street to an empty field, they were doing them in their front yard. We had many end up in our yard, and some even on our roof. Son was not at all happy. Luckily, no damage was done, but one did start a small fire in the grass out back, but it went out by itself. We'll probably have to be outside to monitor their actions again this year.
No cops would come out even if called. We're in the country, and all of that just comes with the territory. :(:p