PDA

View Full Version : Down to the sea in ships

Grace
06-24-2010, 02:03 PM
A ship, that sunk in Lake Superior 112 years ago, has been found.

Even the ship's cargo of corn was still in its hold. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100624/ap_on_re_us/us_shipwreck_discovered_wis)

pomtzu
06-24-2010, 03:14 PM
Fascinating that it should be so well preserved after all these years. Guess there's something to be said about that cold water in the lake.

I know years ago, I myself had something to say about the temp of the Lake Michigan waters - it was something like "holy sh1t". I had no idea that those waters were so cold, even in the summer. :eek::D

moosmom
06-24-2010, 03:38 PM
I always wanted to visit the lakes while I lived in Michigan but never got the chance. I was too busy looking for a job.

Glad to be back in CT!!

Grace
06-24-2010, 04:02 PM
We LOVE the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. When I see Lake Superior I think of Rhode Island. That huge expanse of water - but Lake Superior is fresh water with Canada on the other side; in Rhode Island the water is salty and Europe is on the other side.

And cold it is. We once waded in a shallow area near Marquette, and I thought Douglas was going to die from the cold.

There's a place up there - Whitefish Pointe. There is a Shipwreck Museum that is fascinating. And over in Munising, you can take a glass-bottom boat ride and see the remnants of past wrecks.

Karen
06-24-2010, 04:08 PM
How neat, and I think it is nice that they'll leave it in place. It also touched me that they mentioned the two ships cats by name among those who perished.

Freedom
06-24-2010, 06:42 PM
That was really interesting! Thank you for sharing with all of us.

Twisterdog
06-24-2010, 07:28 PM
That put "The Wreck of the Edumund Fitzgerald" in my head.

smokey the elder
06-25-2010, 09:36 AM
The comment about Whitefish Pointe made me think of the Edmund Fitzgerald. They find wrecks in the Great Lakes from time to time.