PDA

View Full Version : Things we've learned on Pet Talk

Taz_Zoee
06-23-2010, 10:09 PM
I have learned SO much here I can't even begin to list everything. But I thought it would be neat to list what you can remember that you've learned here.

I learned what to do when a baby kitty won't poop. (Can you tell which thread inspired this?) The first day I had Jax his tummy got really hard and I kept telling him to poop and hoping he would so I wouldn't have to help out. Not even 30 minutes later he pooped! Ran us out of the room, but he did it!

I've learned how to introduce a new cat into the household. Successfully too!! :D

I've learned LOTS of things on training dogs. NILIF is one big one.

I've learned that you can feel like people are part of your family when you've never even met them in person. :)

Gosh, there are so many more things that I can't even think of right now. If I think of others I'll come back and post them.

So what have YOU learned here on PT?

kitten645
06-23-2010, 10:13 PM
I've learned what frito feet are. :p I've learned what LES is. I've learned there are truly compassionate kind people even if you never met face to face and even better when you do!:love:

Scooter's Mom
06-23-2010, 11:00 PM
I too learned the meaning of LES.

I learned that I know some of the PT members better than I know some of my own family members. Not even distant relatives, but siblings.

I learned that the country above the US isn't Canada, but CaTada.

I love PT.

krazyaboutkatz
06-24-2010, 12:39 AM
I've learned so many things about cat health which have also helped me in caring for my own.

I've learned that there a lot of compassionate animal lovers in this world.

I've learned that you don't have to meet some one face to face to be friends with them.

I've learned many PT terms like: whitecoats, furkids, zoomies, LES, port-o-prison, lap fungus, airplane ears, elevator butt, headbumpies, scritches, hooman, meowmie, pee biscuits, clingons and many many more.:)

Lady's Human
06-24-2010, 12:49 AM
Learned how to (or how NOT to) boil eggs?:p

Marigold2
06-24-2010, 01:01 AM
I have found great advice on many many subjects, true kindness and caring and some incredible friends that I will have forever.
I have learned that no matter where you are or where you come from your pets are the sweetest, cutest and most precious as it should be.
I have learned that I am not the only one who looks into an animals face and sees heart breaking beauty, love, loyalty and devotion be it a rat, cat, mouse, dog, rabbit, mule, horse or any other of this earth's creatures and I have learned to be proud of being the crazy animal lover and that is ok with me.

moosmom
06-24-2010, 05:35 AM
Taz Zoee,

I can take a hint. Tell me your secret cuz I've tried just about everything but a little warm water in the butt.

Gotta go feed the poo (no pun intended). I'll be back.

Medusa
06-24-2010, 07:17 AM
I've learned about the B vitamins and how helpful they are to anemic cats. I've learned what cerebellar hypoplasia is. My Creamsicle is a CH baby and I never knew what her illness was and, believe it or not, neither did my vet. (not my current vet) I've learned that I can administer subcutaneous fluids to a cat all by myself; that Calicos are always female. I've learned about ametryptilene and how it can help w/inappropriate urination. (It helps for a little while anyhow.) I've learned what LES and "poofing" are; that people I've known only on PT are generous w/their resources and their love and compassion. I've learned lots more but I'm hard pressed to think of them at the moment.

anna_66
06-24-2010, 07:27 AM
I've learned how you can make life long friends out of people you've never even met:) (and how exciting it is when you meet them!)

Pinot's Mom
06-24-2010, 07:36 AM
I've learned the term LES as well. I've also learned about Clomicalm & Feliway (which I haven't had to use, but it's good to know), the use of canned pumpkin, why to have ceramic instead of plastic kitty dishes, that night zoomies are normal & what actual disease my Pinot is a carrier of (all we knew was a virus, I now know which one).

I've learned there are people (some I'll meet, some I won't) all over the world whom I consider friends (very good friends in some cases) because of the common thread of caring for their furkids in the most loving and caring way they know how, which is what I strive to do, and that these people will more than go out of their way to do whatever they are physically capable of to help me and my kitty.:love:

Thanks PT! :)

Catherinedana
06-24-2010, 07:58 AM
I have learned more about cat poop than I ever thought I would or even cared to. :D

I've learned that people who are many miles apart can share a joy or a sorrow as if they were in the same room and cry together or laugh with each other.

I've learned that it doesn't matter what your political, religious or esthetic views are, if you love the animals you share your life with, it can bring you together with folks you might otherwise not have anything else in common with! And so the line in my signature "We do not all have to think alike to love alike"

:love: :love:
Cathy

MoonandBean
06-24-2010, 08:22 AM
I've learned how nice it is to share a common passion with people, near and far; the love and support that strangers can provide is sometimes more valuable than those close by in our lives AND that many people will think I'm nuts for my devotion to my "online friends" and I couldn't care less! :)

Those are the "emotional things" I've learned. Other things include: cats don't like change (thanks Catty and Freedom), Choke collars need to be used correctly if at all, Change a dog's food slooooooooowly, etc... :)

pomtzu
06-24-2010, 08:45 AM
So much.........:D And pretty much of what has already been said.

Frito Feet. I was actually relieved to know that it wasn't me that was crazy and had been smelling this for years.
So many new terms - LES unfortunately - and used way too much by many including myself.
Remedies that I never knew about. Lots of conditions that I never knew existed, and being more aware of warning signs that could potentially be trouble. Being able to cry for others and their fur kids and not feel embarrassed about it.
Being amazed to find new friends (waves to Maggie and Gretchen) after over 40 years, and realizing that we were practically in each other's back yards when growing up, but never knew each other way back then.
Finding a wonderful new friend, who has become like the sister that I never had.:love: Making other new friends not even living in this country.
There are obviously personality conflicts to be had everywhere, and no one is ever going to agree with everything and everyone. But thru all of our differences, we all have one common bond, and that's our love of pets (and all animals), that brought us together in the first place. Thank you Karen and Paul for making this site a place where we can come any time of the day or night, and always find someone else seeking company, solace, or just a place to hang out for a while. :D

lvpets2002
06-24-2010, 08:55 AM
:) Yup I aggree with Tracey.. ** I also learned what a CH Baby was && how to take care of them From Laura & other PTrs too.. **
I've learned so many things about cat health which have also helped me in caring for my own.

I've learned that there a lot of compassionate animal lovers in this world.

I've learned that you don't have to meet some one face to face to be friends with them.

I've learned many PT terms like: whitecoats, furkids, zoomies, LES, port-o-prison, lap fungus, airplane ears, elevator butt, headbumpies, scritches, hooman, meowmie, pee biscuits, clingons and many many more.:)

Alysser
06-24-2010, 09:15 AM
I have to say I've grown up with PT and I have become much more mature. I've met so many great people. I learned so much about Breed Specific Legislation, the pet over-population problem and just about dogs in general. I've become a much better pet owner. I've learned alot about global issues as well.

I even found a second mom. :D (caseysmom)

The most important thing is that I found a place where I can express a love for my pets and be understood. I enjoy the fact that so many people share the same passion as I do. I learned that grief for a pet is not something to be ashamed of and maybe that's what mostly helped me.

Taz_Zoee
06-24-2010, 09:16 AM
Taz Zoee,

I can take a hint. Tell me your secret cuz I've tried just about everything but a little warm water in the butt.

Gotta go feed the poo (no pun intended). I'll be back.

No secrets. I've never had to even try it, but I learned here how to do it and when. I probably wouldn't have known when a kitten even needed to go.

And I'm glad to read that Pheonix Destiny did finally go. :)

moosmom
06-24-2010, 10:30 AM
I don't think I could add anything that anyone here hasn't already said. Many MANY wonderful friends from all over the world, that makes me feel like part of a real family. Some I've met (and have very fond memories of, Davidp) some I have not, which doesn't make them any less of a family member.

God gives you great friends to apologize for bad relatives. THANK YOU KAREN and PAUL!!!!!

I love all of you very much!!! You've all helped me through some really bad times and I'll never be able to express my gratitude enough.

I apologize to anyone I might have pissed off, offended or hurt. One thing I have learned is to be humble.

Thank you all for being there.

aTailOf2Kitties
06-25-2010, 08:17 AM
I have learned that a wide variety of people have pets. Everything from over-zealous nutjobs trying to throw their arms around the world, all the way to people who just don't "get" that properly caring for an animal means more than tossing it a bowl of kibble twice a day....or the importance of spaying and neutering.

pomtzu
06-25-2010, 08:54 AM
I have learned that a wide variety of people have pets. Everything from over-zealous nutjobs trying to throw their arms around the world, all the way to people who just don't "get" that properly caring for an animal means more than tossing it a bowl of kibble twice a day....or the importance of spaying and neutering.

What a shame that's all you have learned here..........
I see so much more good, but maybe I'm just one of those "nutjobs" that you are referring to.......:rolleyes::mad:

aTailOf2Kitties
06-25-2010, 09:02 AM
I didn't say that's ALL I've learned here! Goodness I could fill a whole page with that info! Most of it has already been stated though :) :cool:

boomersooner
06-25-2010, 09:10 AM
Too many things to list!! A name for Frito Feet is definitely at the top, though! LOL.....No, mostly just a place where people love their pets as passionately as I do...a place where people raise their children to love and respect animals. I also think it is very cool to "talk" to people who live all around the world like they were my next door neighbor!

pomtzu
06-25-2010, 09:20 AM
I didn't say that's ALL I've learned here! Goodness I could fill a whole page with that info! Most of it has already been stated though :) :cool:

Thank you for adding that. Glad you don't view it as all negative. :p

Asiel
06-25-2010, 09:57 AM
I think the frito feet was my most important discovery after wondering for ages what I was doing wrong with my animals to have such stinky feet.
Not much I can add to what everyone has posted here. I think learning that I wasn't the only one who went overboard for my animals made me feel wonderful. And I've met some wonderful people here that help me view another part of the world from mine.
Can't forget about the LOA that Medussa shared which I had never heard of before. And her son's illness that brought such comfort knowing he got better while a relative of mine was going through the same thing and thinking she wouldn't get better...she is, slowly but surely.
I've learned that although we often differ with another's opinion, the input and discussions help give us so much information.
Mostly I've learned no matter how bad things might look on my bad days that others are also going through just as hard a time as I am, it helps me realize everyone has their own problems.