PDA

View Full Version : Pet talk addiction? HELP !

jenluckenbach
10-21-2002, 06:49 PM
I know that everyone seems to say Pet talk is addictive, but HELP. I have been on for 6 hours today and that is not counting the time I am writing this! It was in spurts, but added up just the same. Is anyone as bad as me?!? Is there a shrink in the house?!?! NO actually, I don't want it cured, I just want to know that I am not the MOST addicted!~

Nomilynn
10-21-2002, 06:52 PM
My boyfriend told me last night "that board is really starting to annoy me... you are ALWAYS there!!"

So I am trying to cut back some.. but he isn't here right now.. teehee... :p

Miss Meow
10-21-2002, 07:02 PM
I was like that the first couple of months, not 6 hours, but still quite obsessed :) Just reading and getting to know everybody and going through some archives to learn about people's pets. Then I had to get balance back so I check in most days but try not to spend half the day here ...

My former colleague used to ask how I could talk to cat people for so long. I said easy, it's not just cats, it's dogs, rabbits, rats, ferrets etc, and world events, and jokes, and puzzles, and politics, and photos. It's a whole world, we just happen to have pets as a common factor. Now please stop talking so I can keep reading!

TheAntiPam
10-21-2002, 07:03 PM
Muahahahahhahahahahhahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Karen and Paul, we've captured another one!!!!

Uabassoon
10-21-2002, 07:06 PM
My roommate complains that I'm on pettalk to much, because I tie up the phone line. So now I only come on when she's at work or school or asleep.

Vermontcat
10-21-2002, 07:10 PM
Jen, after you read this I want you to turn off your computer, go play with all of your cats, get something to eat, get some sleep, (do you have a job?) I am sure there are other things you can do too that you have been putting off. I am sure you have a life besides Pet Talk, and I am sure that you may last 5 minutes or so and you will be right back here with all of us other Pet Talk addicts!:D Don't worry you are not the only one, we are all crazy here!

Cookiebaker
10-21-2002, 07:18 PM
Guilty!!!!!!!! My hubby is getting very tired of it, too. Especially when he says "bedtime in 15 minutes??" "OK," I say. AN hour and 15 minutes later I will wander into the bedroom & he's snoring. :p OOOOOPS!

I DREAMED pettalk the other night. I love this board...I have learned so much and everybody is so nice.

Logan
10-21-2002, 11:51 PM
LOL!!! I guess you can tell by the number of posts I have made that I am indeed addicted!!! So I'm no help, Jen! Sorry!!! :o I made almost 1000 posts under another name too!!! So I'm definitely addicted!!!! :)

Former User
10-22-2002, 01:27 AM
I had those periods too that I was here too much. But then I sort of woke up and realised that this is taking way too much time and that time is away from my life and furkids. My husband works all day so I have more than enough time to hang here (I study from home). It was really bad at one point, I felt I needed to stay up to date on practically everything. Now I don't anymore, I still hang a lot here, but don't post so much, and if I miss a thread, I can't help it. Better focus on things that are really important like Casper and Kitty, before it's too late.
Having said that, I've gotten very useful information from this site and am very grateful for that. I would have been lost year ago when we had these 2 little rascals running around and I had no one to turn to. But I had PT and the great people of it and I could ask all kinds of (silly) things and got replies and answers.

aly
10-22-2002, 01:47 AM
There is NO help for a Pet Talk addiction!!!!

ellensy
10-22-2002, 11:33 AM
Well said Aly..... no help at all.......

I cannot let a day pass by w/o logging into PetTalk to see what's going on....:D

sammi
10-22-2002, 11:43 AM
No cure or Treatment has been found.
You are doomed for the life of Pet Talk! :D

Randi
10-22-2002, 11:58 AM
Jen, no help here either! :D I'm pretty addicted myself. A while back, my husband got a little irritated about me sitting here so much, he would make comments like: Are we going to eat or what? It's rather late, are you coming to bed? ......

Well, only about a month ago, he started peeking and then posted a bit. In fact, he logs on nearly every day now to see whats going on, unless he's very busy with his work.

We're lucky though to have each our computer and to have an ADSL connection, so we leave it on and check in between other things. ;)

10-22-2002, 12:10 PM
Addicted ??? Count me in too here ...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: .
I know I am here WAY TO MUCH ; but , I cannot help it ... ! Everytime I pass this pc , I am wondering if there is a new thread , if someaone replied to me , if someone's pet is sick , etc .....
And just as PT is of my mind , I see my pets play , and hey , there I go again ..!
I also have gotten such good support from everyone here when my sweetheart Sydney passed away !
Really , Pettalk IS addictive , but so what :cool: , better be addicted to this than to stupid things like drinking , smoking , or anything of that kind !! ;)

NoahsMommy
10-22-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Cookiebaker
Guilty!!!!!!!! My hubby is getting very tired of it, too. Especially when he says "bedtime in 15 minutes??" "OK," I say. AN hour and 15 minutes later I will wander into the bedroom & he's snoring. :p OOOOOPS!
How funny! I do the SAME thing!! :) Time sure does fly when you are on Pet Talk!! :)

This weekend, I was on and my wandered by and helped me with the 2002 threads. When he saw how many posts I have he said "Oh my gosh! WHAT did I marry?" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It's HIS fault...he was the one to introduce me to cats. :D

Cookiebaker
10-22-2002, 12:55 PM
Hey Noah's Mommy, that was post 2000!!! Congratulations!!!

anna_66
10-22-2002, 01:58 PM
Hi, my name is Anna & I'm a Pet Talk addict:D

I try to limit my time on her to mostly the morning, then a little in the afternoon & none to little at night (ok, sometimes I'm on here way too much!), that way I have my entire evening to spend with the pooches & Mark. It's really bad when I talk about people here by name & Mark knows just who I'm talking about!
But honestly, the people on this board have opened my eyes to so many things & taught me so much. I can't imagine a better thing to be addicted to!!

Like everyone has said, there is no cure to this addiction!

RockyRoad
10-22-2002, 03:01 PM
...I have been on for 6 hours today....

Hey try from 6:00-7:50AM and 3:00-10:00PM, and all day on weekends! Well actually not all day maybe until 12:00 or 1:00AM. It is so addictive and I just love being onlne and talking to people! Sometimes I am not on, but most of the time, there I am! I have made it a daily routine and since for some reason the teachers are all wearing "Teachers United" (we think they are going on strike..yay!)and cutting off homework so we have not had much homework for the past few weeks. Except in science:rolleyes: (which of course I DO NOT do because I DO NOT get it.). Less homework=more pet talk time!!

sasvermont
10-22-2002, 04:07 PM
I have tappered off a bit, but still have left maybe 24 hours go by and then, well, another look at Pet Talk.

Moderation. Right?

Another addict.:rolleyes:

Edwina's Secretary
10-22-2002, 04:37 PM
I log on to Pettalk when I arrive at work in the morning then throughout the day I pop in (long, boring conference calls are especially good for this....). I leave it on all day.

I've started checking in from home in the evenings/weekends now too. My husband wants to know if I have an internet boyfriend -- no, just a Pettalk addiction!

Pam
10-22-2002, 04:50 PM
It is an easy trap to fall into - that's for sure. With a cable modem and "being on" all the time it's all too easy to say "I think I'll just read a post or two." Sometimes Bella sits next to me and looks at me with those eyes that say "please come outside with me and throw the ball and get off that computer!" LOL!

ChrisH
10-22-2002, 05:13 PM
Addicted to Pet Talk?! Me?! Oh, yes! And I love being addicted! :D
I can only login between 6-12 in the evening, but also all weekend - from 6pm Friday to midnight Sunday. I dont go online for ALL that time of course but I do like to spend 2 hours, sometimes 5, here each evening and a lot more than that here, and elsewhere online, at weekends. And, for the same amount of money, my time online is going to be rationed, beginning November 1st, to 120 hours a month. Sound a lot but it only works out at 4 hours every day, including weekends! :( I somehow think my bill is going to be increasing. LOL

kohala
10-22-2002, 05:22 PM
Oh, definitely, and Dadcat (I hear him getting up now, he's down with bronchitis - wait 'til he sees what I'm doing!) definitely takes a view askew when he sees me online! I'll tell you what, tho, it beats a lot of other addictions! And, like Niina, I find I take breaks - I haven't been on much lately, too much work and sickness. But --- I'm BAACK!

So, here's 12 steps for PetTalkers (with apologies and gratitude to Dr. Bob and Bill W.):

1. Admitted we were powerless over Pet Talking.
2. Came to believe a Purr greater than our own could restore us to sanity.
3. Decided to turn our will and our lives over to the sound of woofs and purrs.
4. Made a searching and fearless inventory of our love for Pet Talking.
5. Admitted to God, ourselves and another person the exact nature of our love to Pet Talk.
6. Were entirely ready have God remove our guilty feelings about PetTalking.
7. Humbly asked him to remove our shortcomings and spend more time with our furry and featherd or scaled friends.
8. Made a list of all people and critters we had ignored, and became willing to spend more time offline and with them.
9. Made direct amends to these other beings by getting offline more often.
10. Continued to inventory our PetTalk time, and admit to our other significant beings when we were PetTalking too much.
11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our contact with the "real world."
12. Having had a spiritual awakening through increased time with our pets and people, we got online and shared it by posting to Pet Talk.

Desert Arabian
10-22-2002, 05:51 PM
LOL - I know what you mean by addicted!:D

Cookiebaker
10-22-2002, 05:57 PM
Yellowlab, I love your new sig!!

Desert Arabian
10-22-2002, 06:17 PM
AWW.... thanks!:D

RockyRoad
10-22-2002, 06:25 PM
Awww, your ratties are so cute!

AmberLee
10-22-2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Cookiebaker
Yellowlab, I love your new sig!!

I agree, it's marvelous!!!

Desert Arabian
10-22-2002, 08:51 PM
Gee, thanks guys! I just wish it weren't so blurry. It looks crystal clear in the picture file thingy. Oh well.

You can see Oreo's tumor bulging out in the picture :( My poor little girl.

toughCookie
10-22-2002, 08:59 PM
you people that are addicted to this site are something ..you are really addicted to a...SITE??? thats just plain crazy!

I only get on here occasionally, and of course I'm not addicted...
...yeah right! hehehe:p :cool: :rolleyes:

kohala
10-23-2002, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by toughCookie
you people that are addicted to this site are something ..you are really addicted to a...SITE??? thats just plain crazy!

I only get on here occasionally, and of course I'm not addicted...
...yeah right! hehehe:p :cool: :rolleyes:

LMAO!!!!!!!
Hmmmmmmm- let's see ... she's been on 7 months and over 1,000 posts. Uh huh, OK - Dr. Goose (Dadcats AKA) sez you got it bad, girl!! De worst case of DeNial he ever seen - and don't even know what "occasionally" means!! LOL, Cookie - we're gonna have to call you Cleo now - y'know, Cleopatra, Queen of De Nile ??:D :D :D

I would say "get help!", but why preach what I won't practice?!?!:p ;) :cool:

toughCookie
10-23-2002, 03:23 AM
we're gonna have to call you Cleo now - y'know, Cleopatra, Queen of De Nile ??

queen of De Nile huh?..... hmmmm, well could be!
ok I admit it, I just MIGHT be addicted, maaaaayybeee I am.:eek:
in fact my cats have started to meow when I get on here... me thinks they are trying to tell me something???

ok I will not get back on here for a week, maybe 2 weeks...
(see ya all tomorrow):D :D

ellensy
10-23-2002, 10:37 AM
LOL :D

Cataholic
10-23-2002, 04:03 PM
I have to chuckle at the thred starter here...JLB...since when I wasn't on PT for maybe 12 hours, she sent me a PM asking where had I been! I actually found myself justifying my absence! (So, I blame HER for my addiction) I don't know how I ever found this site, but WOW...I used to do a little on the 'net, but NEVER like this. I am slowly tapering back off, and will limit my time to weekends. I try not to take my laptop home during the evening- so I might get something done.

I think it is sooo fun. I feel like I 'know' people here, and talk about things here...but I do think, in moderation, this is absolutely fine. I, for one, do not spend hours looking at the TV at night (except when I first got cable, Animal Planet and I were verrrry familiar with each other). So, this is kinda my hobby...right? Hobby- not addiction!!!!!!!!!!! :D