PDA

View Full Version : Recipe Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Nomilynn
10-21-2002, 06:31 PM
It seems lately we have been talking a lot obout food, so I thought I would start a place where we could post some of our favourite recipes. I will start off with a few of my own :D

SWIRLED PUMPKIN AND CARAMEL CHEESECAKE

(This is a delicious recipe, but it's for the person who really enjoys baking and wants to take the time to make a very special cheesecake)

INGREDIENTS

** Crust **
1 1/2 cups ground gingersnap cookies
1 1/2 cups toasted pecans (about 6 ounces)
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted

** Filling **
4 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
1 2/3 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups canned solid pack pumpkin
9 tablespoons whipping cream
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground allspice
4 large eggs
4 tablespoons purchased caramel sauce
1 cup sour cream (***I don't use this.. but it's up to you***)

DIRECTIONS:

CRUST
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Finely grind crushed cookies, pecans and sugar in processor.
Add melted butter and blend until combined.
Press crust mixture onto bottom and up sides of 9-inch-diameter springform pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides.

FILING
Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl until light.
Transfer 3/4 cup mixture to small bowl; cover tightly and refrigerate to use for topping.
Add pumpkin, 4 tablespoons whipping cream, ground cinnamon and ground allspice to mixture in large bowl
and beat until well combined.
Add eggs 1 at a time, beating just until combined.
Pour filling into crust (filling will almostfill pan).
Bake until cheesecake puffs, top browns and center moves only slightly when pan is shaken, about 1 hour
15 minutes.
Transfer cheesecake to rack and cool 10 minutes.
Run small sharp knife around cake pan sides to loosen cheesecake and cool.
Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.
Bring remaining 3/4 cup cream cheese mixture to room temperature.
Add remaining 5 tablespoons whipping cream to cream cheese mixture and stir to combine.
Press down firmly on edges of cheesecake to even thickness.
Pour cream cheese mixture over cheesecake, spreading evenly.
Spoon caramel sauce in lines over cream cheese mixture.
Using tip of knife, swirl caramel sauce into cream cheese mixture.
(Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Release pan sides from cheesecake.
Spoon sour cream into pastry bag fitted with small star tip (do not stir before using).
Pipe decorative border around cheesecake and serve.

Nomilynn
10-21-2002, 06:40 PM
NAN’S PUMPKIN LOAF
(Nan was my grandma ;))

1 ½ C all purpose flour
1 C. pumpkin
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. nutmeg
½ tsp. allspice
2 eggs beaten
¾ C. packed Brown sugar
½ C. veg oil
½ C. raisins
½ C. chopped nuts

Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Beat eggs, add Br. sugar, oil and pumpkin; blend thoroughly. Add to dry ingredients and stir until thoroughly combined. Stir in raisins and nuts. Pour into greased 9X5 in. loaf pan. Bake in 325 oven about 70 min. or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 min. then turn out on wire rack. Keeps well wrapped airtight; may be frozen.

DILLY DIP*

1 C light sour cream (could use yogurt)
1 C light mayonnaise (Best Foods is best!)
1 tbsp. minced onion/chives
1 tbsp. parsley flakes (fresh is best but dried is fine)
1 tbsp. dill weed
1 tbsp. Mrs Dash Original (originally asked for “Beau Monde”, but not available anymore) You could experiment with other Mrs. Dash flavours…live dangerously.

Mix together well and let sit for at least 2 hours. Serve with fresh veggies. Yum!

* You can easily cut this in half for 2-3 people, half of 1 tbsp. is 1 ½ tsp.

APPLE CRISP (one of my all time faves)

-9 medium apples, peeled and sliced (golden del. is my fave, but I guess it's all about personal taste :))
-1 cup butter (softened)
-1 cup brown sugar
-2 1/4 cup flour
-3/4 tsp. cinnamon
-3/4 tsp. nutmeg

Put the apples in a 9 x 13 pan. Do not grease first (there is plenty butter in the topping!!). Mix all the remaining BY HAND to a crumbly consistency. Spread over the apples. Bake at 350 degrees (farenheit) for 40-45 mins or until fuit is cooked and topping is golden brown.

NAN'S PUMKIN PIE

-1 large tin of pumpkin (it's about 3 1/4 cups)
-1 1/2 cup brown sugar
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 tsp ginger
-1 tsp cinnamon
-1/2 tsp cloves

*Mix the above ingredients together, then add 4 beaten eggs.

*Stir everything throuroughly

*Add one cup cream and 2 cups whole milk

*Stir everything together, and put into an unbaked pie shell. Cook at 450 degrees (farenheit) for 10 mins, then at 350 for 45 mins to an hour or until a toothpick inserted in the pie comes out clean.

Serve with Whipped Cream!!! YUM!!

Miss Meow
10-21-2002, 06:42 PM
I like anything that starts with "Nan's" :) I really miss my nan's apple pie.

Later I'll copy my and Wolflady's recipes in so they're all together.

delidog
10-21-2002, 08:50 PM
I hope that Randi sees this!!! she has some good ones!!!!
Maybe i'll alert her!!!!!!;)

wolf_Q
10-22-2002, 01:48 AM
Ooo good thread! My friend and I "created" a recipe for fetucinne alfredo one time. We were very bored. It's actually quite good. I'm not sure where I put what we wrote down though....

I'll have to look and see what good recipes I have to share. I like to cook when I'm in the mood. :D

Miss Meow
10-22-2002, 02:51 AM
Here is Wolflady's Pumpkin Pie from the Halloween thread

Here is the recipe for Pumpkin Pie:

one 10-inch pie shell, unbaked
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 plus cups pumpkin, cooked
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 to 2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 to 2 teaspoons ground ginger (some like more, some like less...I usually use 2tsp)
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (I use 1/2)
1/4 teaspoon cloves (optional)
1/4 teaspoon allspice (optional)
2 ounces dark molasses (optional)
1 cup milk, scaled
1 small can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
3 eggs, beaten

Brush the pie shell with melted butter then refrigerate.

Cook the pumpkin, brown sugar, salt, spices, and molasses in a saucepan over moderate heat until thick, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the two kinds of milk and the eggs, and cook over low heat for another 5 minutes. Pour into a pie shell, and bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F, and then at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.

Enjoy! :D

Miss Meow
10-22-2002, 02:52 AM
Pumpkin Soup (serves at least 6)

1.5kg (approx 3.6lb) butternut or other sweet pumpkin, peeled and chopped coarsely
30g (roughly 2 tablespoons) butter
1 large (500g/1lb) leek, chopped coarsely
2 cloves garlic, finaly diced
1.5 litres (6 cups) vegetable stock (can use home made or cubes)
½ cup cream
Salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a large pot, add leek and garlic and stir until the leek is soft. Your house will smelly yummy at this stage.

Add the pumpkin and stock, bring to the boil then simmer, covered, for about 25 minutes or until the pumpkin is very tender. You will be very hungry by now.

Blend or process the soup in batches until smooth (I find a handheld stab-type blender best). Stir in the cream to taste. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with a dollop of cream and a sprinkle of black pepper. Serve with crusty bread.

(can be prepared in advance, keeps well in fridge, freezes well)

Enjoy!

Miss Meow
10-22-2002, 02:54 AM
Sweet Potato and Coconut Soup (serves at least 6)

1.5kg (approx 3.6lb) sweet potato (known as kumara in some countries), peeled and chopped coarsely
2 medium brown onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
Small can (approx 90g) coconut cream
1.5 litres (6 cups) vegetable stock or enough to cover the sweet potatoes in the pot
Sweet chilli sauce (available most supermarkets)
Sweet soy sauce (preferably Indonesian kecap manis - should be available at supermarket. If not, just make sure it's the sweet one)
Fish sauce (optional if you're vegetarian)

Gently fry sweet potato and garlic in large pot. Cover with vegetable stock.

Add coconut cream, a generous dollop of sweet chilli, a tablespoon each of sweet soy sauce and fish sauce.

Bring to boil and simmer until sweet potato is soft (approx 20 minutes).

Blend or process in batches until smooth. Return pot to stove and taste. I usually add a bit more sweet chilli and soy/fish sauces at this stage so the soup has a warm-chilli taste without being overpowering. Chilli freaks can add more sweet chilli sauce to their individual bowls if they like!

Yummy with warmed naan bread or Turkish bread.

I hope you enjoy this recipe, it's one of my favourites

:)

Miss Meow
10-22-2002, 03:14 AM
Lentil and Spinach Soup

This soup is based on Indian flavours, more a warming flavour than hot. It is very good for you too! I've sorted the ingredients into order of use to make it easy (there's a lot of ingredients but it is easy to prepare once everything is organised).

2 teaspoons cumin seeds (or ground cumin)
2 teaspoons coriander seeds (or ground coriander)
------------
1 tablespoon butter
2 medium onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
2 dried red chillis (or more if you like), soaked in warm water for 10 minutes then chopped
8 curry leaves
2 teaspoons black mustard seeds (omit if they are hard to find)
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
------------
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
------------
1 1/2 cups red lentils (rinse in cold water to remove any dust or foreign bits)
2 medium potatoes, chopped
1.25 litres (approx 5 cups) vegetable stock
------------
2 bunches English spinach, roughly chopped
------------
2 tablespoons tamarind concentrate (or make some tamarind water with a small hunk of tamarind in boiling water and strain)
medium can (approx 200g) coconut milk

If you are using whole cumin and coriander, gently dry fry in pan until fragrant. Crush into a powder and set aside. If using ground spices, set aside for now.

Heat butter in large pot and add onions, garlic, ginger, chillies, curry leaves, mustard and fenugreek. Cook until onion is translucent.

Add crushed cumin and coriander and turmeric, stir and cook for one minute until it smells fantastic.

Add lentils, potatoes and stock, bring to boil and simmer for about 15 minutes until potatoes are tender. Stir in spinach and cook for a further two minutes until spinach is wilted.

Blend soup until pureed. Return to heat and add tamarind and half the coconut milk. Stir and taste. Add more coconut milk to taste. If the soup is too thick, add a little hot water.

Keeps well in fridge and freezer. Excellent starter for an Indian meal or a meal in itself with toasted bread.

10-22-2002, 03:19 AM
Oh , super thread !!
One problem here : i cannot find all the ingredients here ... .
Are some Flemish recipes welcome here too ?

Miss Meow
10-22-2002, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by lut
Oh , super thread !!
One problem here : i cannot find all the ingredients here ... .
Are some Flemish recipes welcome here too ?

Maybe if we want to try recipes and can't find ingredients, the recipe poster can suggest substitutes. Or maybe we can mail non-perishable ingredients to each other! I am still trying to work out what Mrs Dash is :)

Flemish sounds fun too, post away Lut!

Randi
10-22-2002, 11:01 AM
Here's a recipe you can try for Christmas! I got it from a friend in England. It's quite easy!

Warning! Don't even look at it, if you want to slim!

Chocolade Truffles

100 g Valhrona chocolade (or other good chocolade)
50 g unsalted butter
2 egg yolks
6+ tablespoons icing sugar
flavouring (e.g. Grand Marnier, Tia Maria, Rum)
coatings (e.g. icing sugar, choc strands, cocoa powder)

Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Cream together the butter, icing sugar, egg yolks and flavouring (if used). Add the melted chocolate and beat until mixed and a fairly firm consistency, adding more icing sugar if necessary. Put in a dish and leave to cool and set - I put mine in a shallow dish in the fridge for an hour. Once set, form into balls and roll them in the coatings. This is the messy and time-consuming part of the process.

Enjoy! :D

PJ's Mom
10-22-2002, 11:15 AM
Warning! Don't even look at it, if you want to slim!

Too late. I just gained 3 pounds. :( :D

DoggiesAreTheBest
10-22-2002, 12:36 PM
I have some great recipes that I would love to share, but all my cooking is low fat and low calories. Would they still be welcomed here?

NoahsMommy
10-22-2002, 12:42 PM
ok...YUM!!!!

I think that my hubby and I will be making that yummy pumpkin/caramel cheesecake very soon!! YUM!!!

All these recipes are so great! I'll have to get my grandmothers cookbook out and post some of her recipes. She was a caterer and made the best food. :)

Great thread! :)

Karen
10-22-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by DoggiesAreTheBest
I have some great recipes that I would love to share, but all my cooking is low fat and low calories. Would they still be welcomed here?

Heaven forfend - something GOOD for us???? Just kidding, of course they'd be welcome! :)

Cookiebaker
10-22-2002, 01:12 PM
Souraya, Yes I am definitely interested in things that are healthier!!!

anna_66
10-22-2002, 01:48 PM
Souraya, good healthy cooking is right up my alley (expecially since Mark has to monitor his blood pressure & cholestrol)!
Even though I must say, I love the fattening stuff more!

Nomilynn
10-22-2002, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Miss Meow

Maybe if we want to try recipes and can't find ingredients, the recipe poster can suggest substitutes. Or maybe we can mail non-perishable ingredients to each other! I am still trying to work out what Mrs Dash is :)

Flemish sounds fun too, post away Lut!

Hehe I didn't think about that when I started this thread up! Mrs. Dash is a medley of spices in one shaker. Nicole if you want some I can mail it to you with your Christmas card.. I don't think it would perish and the container in very small.

and I was hoping for all kinds of recipes.. we have so many different backgrounds on this one board, it would be so fun to have all different types of dishes!! Please post Lut, and please post the low-fat ones too, Souraya!! ANY recipe, as long as it's edible!! :D :D

Dakota's Mommy
10-22-2002, 03:07 PM
Great thread! We need more and more of these because I love getting new recipes for when I cook in the future! Thanks guys. Unluckily I'm at work right now and don't have any of my recipes with me! Maybe I'll remember to bring one to post tomorrow!

Andie
10-22-2002, 03:17 PM
Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti (serves 8 or more)

Ingredients:
1 stick of Margarine
1/2 cup each of celery, onion, & green pepper
5-6 chick breasts (boneless preferred)
1 can of Cream of Celery soup
1 can of Cream of Mushroom soup
1 can of Cream of Chicken soup
1 can of Rotel tomatoes
1 small jar of Cheese Whiz
2 cup of Grated cheese
16 oz of Spaghetti

Directions:

1.) Boil chicken until tender
2.) Cook spaghetti in chicken broth (drain like regular spaghetti)
3.) Sauté onion, celery, & green pepper in margarine.
4.) Mix in soups, tomatoes, & Cheese Whiz
5.) Add in chicken and spaghetti
6.) Place in baking dish (we have to use 2 baking dishes)
7.) Spinkle grated cheese on top & bake at 350 degrees until it bubbles
8.) ENJOY!

It's really good! :D

Randi
10-22-2002, 04:37 PM
Here's a recipe site for everyone - have a look! They have all been rated! ;)

http://allrecipes.com/default.asp

Miss Meow
10-22-2002, 05:42 PM
Randi, your chocolate truffles have inspired me to put something else fattening on this thread!

(Nomi, I might look up Mrs Dash on the web for the ingredients and see if I can make some - if not, I'll be calling on you!!! :))

WHITE CHOCOLATE COOKIES

You can be from mixing bowl to munching in less than half an hour with these. If you don't have macadamia nuts, you can substitute with hazelnuts, pistachio etc (any unsalted nut you like really)

125g (4.5oz) butter, softened
125g (4.5oz) soft brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
200g (7oz) self-raising flour
pinch of salt
150g (5oz) bar of white chocolate, roughly chopped (I usually put more in so it's like a Mrs Field's cookie)
75g (2oz) macadamia nuts, chopped

Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees C (375F). Lightly grease a couple of baking trays.

Cream together butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl with a wooden spoon, until light and fluffy. Should only take a couple of minutes if the butter is really soft.

Add the beaten egg in small batches, beating well after each addition.

Add flour and salt into creamed mixture and blend well. Stir in chocolate and nuts.

Place heaped tablespoons onto baking trays. Leave at least an inch between cookies as they spread during baking.

Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown on top. They will still be soft in the centre, but will firm on cooling. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool.

My original recipe says leave to cool before serving. Really! Try one warm while the chocolate is still melted - yum yum yum. :)

Cookiebaker
10-22-2002, 05:54 PM
Miss Meow, Those sound absolutely scrumptious. If I had the ingredients I would be making those tonight! :D

Miss Meow
10-22-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Cookiebaker
Miss Meow, Those sound absolutely scrumptious. If I had the ingredients I would be making those tonight! :D

With a user name like Cookiebaker, what else could we expect :D
I often make them Sundays and send them with Shane for his morning tea for the week. His workmates get jealous, he he he!

koxka
10-22-2002, 06:23 PM
NICOLE YOU ARE THE QUEEN OF THE KITCHEN :D

Anyone is interested in Catalan or Spanish recipes? They are YumiYumi!:p

neko1
10-22-2002, 07:01 PM
Love that allrecipes website!! Can't wait to start making some apple crisp tomorrow! My fiance will love it:D

Karen
10-22-2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by koxka

Absolutely!

RockyRoad
10-22-2002, 07:23 PM
Ooooh, these sound so good!! Too bad I can't cook.:rolleyes:

Andie
10-22-2002, 07:55 PM
Cucumbers and Onions (serving depends)

I:
Cucumbers
Green peppers
Red onions
Tomatoes
1 cup Vinegar
1 1/4 cups Sugar
1 Tablespoon celery seed

Stir until sugar dissolves!

kohala
10-22-2002, 08:00 PM

My mother-in-law used to make the best empanadas - got a recipe? I can't find hers and I'd like other interpretations, anyway!! Hers had beef and raisins, and other "stuff"!!!
I love Catalonian food, what little I know of it. She was Catalonian/Basque (we Americans are always "Something else";) )

kohala
10-22-2002, 08:20 PM
I've had pollo and/or pork adobo from many Filipino friends, but (my mother-in-law) Mom's was the best (actually, Pop was the recipe source, he was raised in Manila):

1/2 lb chicken thighs, boneless, quartered
1/2 lb pork shoulder, boneless, cut in 1 to 2 inch pieces
1 TBSP canola oil
3-4 garlic cloves, sliced thin
5-6 bay leaves
1/4 cup black peppercorns (whole)
1/4 cup paprika
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 cup water

Saute the chicken and pork with the garlic in the oil. When browned, add paprika first, toss a little to coat, then add vinegar and water. Add bay leaves and peppercorns, bring to a boil, then let simmer covered on medium low heat until the liquid is reduced.

Serve over steamed rice.

It keeps well, and forms a jelly when chilled!

I usually don't use measurement, so I had to guesstimate these. I usually make it with chicken, and you can adjust the ingredients according to how much meat you use. It is made with pork and/or chicken. The idea is to have more than enough paprika to color the meat; not too much vinegar, but you should taste a tang to the meat and sauce. When you add water to cover, cook until the "sauce" is slightly gelatinous. This property is better acheived when using cut chicken legs or pigs feet. I found I tended to shatter the legs and thighs when I cut them, so went to the boneless variety, and I am not a pig's foot fan!
The use of vinegar in cooking is also a preservative in hot climates, and has a wonderful flavor. You can change the vinegar to adjust the flavor, but stick to hearty, red vinegars, not white ones.

I used to call all these dishes I got from her "Norweigan Adobo", or "Norweigan Chow Mein" in deference to my ethnic "spins" on the recipes!!

Miss Meow
10-22-2002, 11:23 PM

No, just queen of messing up the kitchen :)

Catalan and Spanish sounds wonderful. I believe the Catalans have wonderful fish dishes :)

This is a great thread. Does anybody cook Korean food? I am looking for a chilli broth that's used as a base for hot pot dishes. If I can find that, my life will be complete :D

DoggiesAreTheBest
10-23-2002, 07:21 AM
Bruschetta

Loaf of bread
Olive oil
Garlic clove
Fresh Mozzarella
Tomatoes
Sweet Onion
Balsamic vinegar
Salt, pepper, to taste
Basil

Roast garlic cloves in oven for 30 minutes at 375. Toss tomatoes, sweet onion, roasted garlic, mozzarella and basil with balsamic, salt and pepper. Heat grill. Slice bread. Place bread on grill and rub bread with garlic clove. Onto the grilled bread layer tomato mixture. Cover with Parmesan shavings.

Randi
10-23-2002, 09:02 AM
I'd love some! Do you have the recipe for the small round cakes rolled in pinenuts? I think they make them for Easter?
And also some Basque recipees! ;)

NoahsMommy
10-23-2002, 12:27 PM
What great recipes! Keep them coming!! What about any recipes we make every year during the holidays? I always make my grandmother's stuffed mushrooms...I'll add the recipe here when I get home.

wolflady
10-23-2002, 01:04 PM
What a great idea! All of these recipes sound so good! I may have to make a Pet Talk recipe book for home!:D All recipes are welcome! I just love to try new things, especially healthy and international foods, since I don't have many recipes for those kinds of things.

Here is one of my favorite soups!

Broccoli Cheese Soup!!

So good, and yet so easy. This is based off of the T.G.I. Friday's soup recipe and I have found that it works great!
Try to find one of the large cartons of chicken stock at your store -- there's a perfect four cups of broth in there. Use Swanson brand if your store carries it. One bunch of broccoli should provide enough florets. Just cut the broccoli into bite-size pieces using a sharp knife. Use only the florets and ditch the stem.

4 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
1 cup half & half
4 slices Kraft Cheddar Singles (I actually prefer the Velveeta block cheese because it melts so well, but the Kraft Cheddar Singles work great too and you can even use the Fat Free Singles if you wish)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or more to taste)
4 cups broccoli florets (bite-size)

Garnish
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley

1. Combine chicken broth, water, half & half, cheese, flour, onion and pepper in a large saucepan. Whisk to combine and to break up any lumps of flour, then turn heat to medium/high.
2. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
3. Add broccoli to soup and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until broccoli is tender but not soft.
4. For each serving spoon one cup of soup into a bowl and garnish with a tablespoon of shredded cheese and a pinch of parsley.
Makes 6 servings.

Cataholic
10-23-2002, 06:31 PM
This is easy, requires no careful measuring, watching, etc..plus, pretty low in fat. Problem is...I like things a little hotter than some. So, modify where you can.

3 cans (16 oz) chopped (or diced) tomatoes (or whole, just cut them up) in some sort of sauce..with the 'extra' stuff like green chili's or 'mexican style'.

3 cans (12 or 16) beans. I use black (negro), pinto, butter...really doesn't matter. I like the different types of beans. If you use dry..make sure you cook them first. Rinse these guys!

3 cans of chili beans...which means they come in a sauce..here is where you can lower the temp if you like..I go for 'hot' but you can choose mild (weenies).

Meat- I use ground turkey...but you can use chicken, beef, pork, sausage (well- I guess that is pork, isn't it?). Use however much you want. Some people like meaty chili...some don't. Meat is optional...

1 medium (or large) white onion- chop it up..(those baby food processors are so perfect for this).

3 cloves garlic...he he he...again, can be modified. Again- chop them up.

You can add carrot or celery- I don't, buy YOU can.

In a fry pan...saute onion and garlic...in oil...I use olive oil...until cooked ( brown, or lighter).

Add ground up meat...and fry it till cooked..keep in mind if you use turkey or chicken...you might consider adding a little beef bouillon (maybe a cups worth).

Add everything else and cook for how ever long you want -since all the ingrediants are now cooked, you are just looking to meld flavors. At some point, I add a cup of white wine..though you can add red, too..this is not a necessary ingrediant.

It is a great thing to put on the stove first thing Sunday am...and let it simmer. Then all the Football couch potatoes can eat it while watching their fave team loose!

Nomilynn
10-24-2002, 01:23 AM
I can't wait to try all these out. For those of you who are thinking of making the pumpkin cheesecake.. I made it last night. The prep time was about 1 hour, but that's because I didn't let the cream cheese warm up enough. That stuff is HARD to mix!!! I also got pumpkin all over my pants, my shirt, my stove, in my hair.. my mom says the more that gets on you the better it will taste.. we shall see on Saturday when I serve the cake!!! :D

I also made the dill dip. If you like dill, add another tsp of the dill and the other spices. when I made it the last time it wasn't enough flavour, so I added more this time. hopefully everyone will like it!

Thanks everyone for posting so many yummy foods.. I can't wait until the holidays to make all these. I think I will use my parents as taste testers!!! :D :D

SANDY FROST
10-24-2002, 02:31 AM
I TYPED IT AND SENT IT ANOTHER PERSON. MAYBE SHE'LL POST IT . IF NOT
IF ANYONE WANTS THE RECIPE I'LL POST IT FOR YOU.
SANDY FROST:rolleyes:

Tanya&Fritz
10-24-2002, 09:39 AM
OMG!!! I'm so excited, I just noticed this thread now! I'm going to find some of my favorite recipes. I LOVE to cook!

koxka
10-24-2002, 09:51 AM
This evening I have an appontement with one of my sisters to borrow from her a Catalan Coobook in english.

If I translate the recepies myself it can turn out of somthing uneatable:rolleyes:

Koala: Your relative was catalan or basque? or both? Empanadas
aren't catalan nor basque , in fact are from Galicia. The recipie you told me is something I got severals times from people from Chilie, have nerver eat such empanada as a local from spanish people.

Randi: Can you be more specific? They are so many kinds of "Tortells"! And yes we wat it in Easter. People don't make, buy it!;)
Anyway I 'll try to find the recipie for you both.

Mis Meow: Do you like Cod? I have one very yumi-yumi rec.

Randi
10-24-2002, 10:52 AM
If I translate the recepies myself it can turn out of somthing uneatable :rolleyes:

Randi: Can you be more specific? They are so many kinds of "Tortells"! And yes we eat it in Easter. People don't make, buy it!;)
Anyway I 'll try to find the recipie for you both.

Do you like Cod? I have one very yumi-yumi rec.

LOL! I'm sure we'll understand if you translate it! ;)

So are these cakes called "Tortells"? I saw them in a Supermarket in Castelldefels and also a packet with ingredient to make them, but I don't know what's in them! They're really yummy!

I love cod, so that recipe would be very welcome! :)

By the way, have you seen this: http://recipes.alastra.com/spanish/

Can you recommend any of them?

Miss Meow
10-24-2002, 06:05 PM

Mis Meow: Do you like Cod? I have one very yumi-yumi rec.

Yes, please!

Cincy'sMom
10-24-2002, 09:13 PM
Most of my fav receipes are at work, cause that is where I make my groceries lists, but here is what I made for dinner tonight...

Chicken Chili:

2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 green pepper
1 onion
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
48 oz Great Northern Beans (with juice)
2-14 oz cans Chicken Broth
3 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. basil
salt and pepper to taste

Cut chicken into bite size pieces and brown in minimal oil. Add green pepper, onion and garlic. Cook 4-5 minutes. Add beans, broth and seasoning. Simmer 10-15 minutes.

Optional additions after serving:
Shredded cheese
Sour Cream
Salsa
Tortilla chips

I have some very good Cambodian recipes I'll post this weekend.

If anyone has Thai or Indian receipes I would love to have them!

kohala
10-24-2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by SANDY FROST
I TYPED IT AND SENT IT ANOTHER PERSON. MAYBE SHE'LL POST IT . IF NOT
IF ANYONE WANTS THE RECIPE I'LL POST IT FOR YOU.
SANDY FROST:rolleyes:

Here it is - it sounds YUMI YUMI (:D Koxka!):

JALAPENO WHITE SAUCE - THIS IS A RECIPE FROM MIGELS RESTAURANT

2 CUPS WHIPPING CREAM
1 CUP SOUR CREAM
1 TSP. CHICKEN BASE
2 TBSP. CLARIFIED BUTTER
1 TBSP. FLOUR
1 JALAPENO,MINCED
1TBSP. JUICE FROM BOTTLED JALAPENOS
2 OZ. SHREDDED CHEESE-EQUAL PARTS JACK AND CHEDDER

METHOD

HEAT WHIPPING CREAM IN A HEAVY SAUCEPAN OVER HIGH HEAT. WHEN THE CREAM IS READY TO BOIL,STIR IN SOUR CREAM. AFTER SOUR CREAM DISSOLVES, REDUCE HEAT TO MEDIUM. STIR IN CHICKEN BASE AND JALAPENO JUICE AND SIMMER.

WHILE CREAM IS HEATING: MAKE A ROUX BY WARMING BUTTER IN A SAUCEPAN OVER MEDIUM HEAT, ADDING FLOUR, AND MIXING WITH A WIRE WHIP UNTIL MIXTURE STARTS TO TURN PALE GOLD.

JUST BEFORE CREAM MIXTURE IS READY TO BOIL AGAIN, ADD ROUX, WHISKING BRISKLY AND CONSTANTLY UNTIL ROUX IS INCORPORATED. REMOVE FROM HEAT; STIR IN MINCED JALAPENO AND THE CHEESE MIXTURE.

MAKES ABOUT 3 1/2 CUPS.

This sounds DIVINE - And I would recommend starting with the one jalapeno only, as things made with jalapenos tend to continue to heat!!!

momoffuzzyfaces
10-24-2002, 10:55 PM
YUM!!! I have to get in on this too. My first one:
Potato Chip Fudge
(Don't go ewwwe until you try it! If you like chocolate covered pretzels, you should like this too)

1 12oz package of semisweet chocolate chips
1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup coarsley crumbled potato chips
(or for you who are faint of heart - 1 cup of coarsley crumbled pretzels can be used instead)

In a medium saucepan, melt the chocolate chips over medium-low heat. Be careful not to burn. When the chocolate is melted, reduce the heat to low and add the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla; stir until well blended. Remove from heat and immediately add the potato chips or pretzels. Stir gently to blend and pour into an 8-inch square baking dish that has been coated with nonstick baking spray. Cover and cool in the refrigeraton until set.

Cut into 1-inch squares because they are very rich.

Here's one of my favorites. I make it a lot. I got it from a lady who makes it for the senior Meals on Wheels program in our town.
Tater Tot Casserole

Brown and drain:
1 pound lean groundbeef
1/2 cup chopped onion

Layer: (don't mix together)
Groundbeef / onion mixture
1 can cream of mushroom soup (the lite soups work fine too)
Tater tots to cover entire top (frozen hash browns work fine too)

Bake covered for 1 hour at 350 degrees. This fits in a covered 2 quart casserole dish fine. This can be doubled easily. Cheddar cheese sprinkled on top a few minutes before serving is great too.

One more for people who need to watch calories and fat.
Pudding (your choice of flavor)
1 box instant pudding (I love chocolate)
2/3 cup powdered milk
1 1/2 cups cold water

Put powdered ingredients into bowl. Add cold water. Mix with a whisk. This sets up fast. Sugar free instant pudding works great too. Make a great pie by pouring this in a graham cracker crust and topping with whipped topping.

momoffuzzyfaces
10-24-2002, 11:06 PM
Ok, I've got one more to share. I love ones that don't take a lot of work, so here goes:
Mexican Casserole

Brown and drain:
1 pound lean groundbeef
1/c cup chopped onion

Layer, in order given, amounts of the following ingredients to cover a 9x12x3 baking dish:
Fritos or tortilla chips
Chili, with or without beans, your choice
Cheese, shredded
Browned groundbeef and onion mixture
More Cheese shredded

Bake at 375 degrees until cheese is melted.

kohala
10-25-2002, 12:22 AM
(This is easy to do, BTW.)

Ever get those delicious hot carrots at Mexican restaurants? We here in San Diego are lucky to be just north of Baja California (OK, you all know about Tijuana, right? There's a very good Cultural Center there!!) Like most national cuisines, Mexican is also very regional - so this is how I learned to make them here in the far west. By the way, these are very healthy, too; lots of vitamin C and A.

I will write this recipe for 5 Cups of carrots and you can take off from there! (I used to do them in 5 gallon condiment jars, but you can adjust the quantity of the ingredients according to the size jar you have. You will want a glass jar to marinate and store *them in!)

Ingredients:
*5 cups medium to large carrots, scrubbed, peeled, and sliced about 1/4 inch thick on a diagonal (keep only medium to ;large pieces for this recipe
*2 cups white onion, peeled and sliced 3/8 inch thick against the grain (making rings)
*1-2 large cloves garlic (sliced in quarters, lengthwise)
*5-8 bay leaves
*1 healthy bunch of cilantro (about a cup), stems cut way back (also known as Chinese mint and corriander, I believe, for the ingrediently challenged :D )
*10-15 fat jalapenos according to how hot you want it (I usually buy canned Ortega Brand whole jalapenos so I don't have to pre-cook them)
The marinade is approximate and you can adjust to taste:
1 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup canola oil
Water to cover when you jar them

Blanch or parboil the cut carrots and sliced onions, to where they just lose some of their crispness (do NOT overcook! They will mush in the process if you do.) Save the stock form this process.
(If you use fresh jalapenos, blanch them also, discarding the water.)

Put the carrots, onions, garlic, bay leaves, jalapenos and cilantro in a large jar, add the vinegar and oil, then pour the stock over everything until it is covered. Add hot water if necessary to complete this step.

Mix thoroughly then let stand loosely covered with a cloth to marinate.

After a day of marinating, test them for taste and texture. They should be warm to the tongue and firm, but not crisp or crunchy. I ususally let them stand two days before I start to use them. When they are fully flavored, put a lid on the jar and refrigerate. They will keep a long time as they have vinegar in them, but the longer you keep them, the hotter they get from the chilis!!

If they start to seem too hot, remove some or all of the peppers. Since I have pepper eaters in my home, I don't have to worry about this too much, but once I forgot about them for a month, and when I bit into one, I cleared out my sinuses for a week!!!!

kohala
10-25-2002, 12:46 AM
Koala: Your relative was catalan or basque? or both? Empanadas
aren't catalan nor basque , in fact are from Galicia. The recipie you told me is something I got severals times from people from Chilie, have nerver eat such empanada as a local from spanish people.

Koxka, we always have a good time trying to figure out what the "Quiroga Girls" really were, whenever the family gets together! My sisters-in-law and some of my husband's female cousins got into a serious discussion when my mother-in-law passed away two years ago. OMIGOD, today is (would have been) her birthday!!! She would have been 84. Wow! Love you, Mom!! Thanks for all the great meals.

We Americans hold on to our various national and ethnic roots. Immigration to this country comes in waves from various places, and there usually is a two generation transition for the family to go from being from "there" to being "American". Does this make sense to you?

Anyway, for some of the much older generations, they changed names, family histories, and their claims to "roots" to ward off the prevailing bigotry-du-jour. We know through records that her grandparents (father's side) were from Spain, and that Grandpa Quiroga was Basque/Spanish. He was raised in Mexico, where his parents immigrated in the 1800's. Her mother was born and rasied in California of Basque and ???????? descent. Who knows where she got her recipes from. She did once tell me she remembered meals from cooking with HER grandmother. Mom could cook, I'll tell you that!!
And her table was always beautiful, no matter what the meal. She was passionate about presentation!!
Can you tell us more about Galicia? I sure value the information!!!

Tanya&Fritz
10-25-2002, 09:06 AM
Help!

Can somebody tell me how much margarine a "stick" is? We don't sell margarine in sticks in Canada.

Thanks!

Tanya&Fritz
10-25-2002, 09:10 AM
Cheeseburger Pie

1 lb. lean ground beef
1 1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
1 1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup Bisquick
3 eggs

Brown beef and onion. Add salt and pepper. Drain and spread in lightly greased 10" pie plate. Sprinkle with cheese. Beat remaining ingredients until smooth. Pour into pie plate. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.

For 9" pie plate, decrease milk to 1 cup, Bisquick to 1/2 cup, plus 2 eggs.

Tanya&Fritz
10-25-2002, 09:18 AM
The BEST Chicken Casserole

5 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
2 10 oz tins cream of chicken soup
1 tin sliced mushrooms
2 cups potato chips (crushed)
1 1/2 cup diced celery
4 tbsp. minced onion
4 tbsp. mayonnaise
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (cubed)

Cook and cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.
Mix all ingredients except 3/4 cup potato chips and 1 cup cheese.
Spread mixture in buttered, 3 quart casserole.
Spread remaining chips and cheese on top.
Bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes.

Andie
10-25-2002, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Tanya&Fritz
Help!

Can somebody tell me how much margarine a "stick" is? We don't sell margarine in sticks in Canada.

Thanks!

We looked on our stick and it said it was 8 tablespoons.

AmberLee
10-25-2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Andie
We looked on our stick and it said it was 8 tablespoons.

Yes, it is. An alternate way of looking at it is that it's 1/4 pound.

Edwina's Secretary
10-25-2002, 09:52 AM
Tanya & Fritz.....

I'm curious. How is margarine sold in Canada?

Tanya&Fritz
10-25-2002, 10:02 AM
It's sold in a plastic tub.

I think our milk is sold differently too. It's sold in bags that you cut off the corner and you put the bag in a plastic milk container.

Thanks for your help, I'm glad I asked. My gut instinct was tellling me 1/2 lb. It would have been a greasy casserole!!!

gini
10-25-2002, 11:21 AM
Isn't it funny how we all assume you would know what a "stick" of butter/margarine is.........? Some of my older recipes from family call for a "gob" of the ingredient. A gob is the amount you could scoop into the palm of your hand. I think when you were on the farm, feeding hard working men, you took the shortest and easiest way to measure to save time in the cooking.

I have some good recipies for Pumpkin Bread, Caramel Corn to die for (good for holiday gifts) and Divinity Fudge. Anyone interested? Umm, also some peanut brittle.........

lynnestankard
10-25-2002, 11:29 AM
..........er...............Peanut Brittle - oh yes I could force myself!!!:D

Our margarine is also sold in plastic tubs and butter is sold in 1/2.lb blocks.

Lynne

Cataholic
10-25-2002, 11:30 AM
Tanya and Fritz....how is "butter" sold in Canada? Is it tubbed also? Just curious....

sammi
10-25-2002, 11:59 AM
Question of The Day:

Who knows what "oleo" is and remembers the little "red/orange" dot and what you did with it?? This is really giving my age away.

gini
10-25-2002, 12:02 PM
Uhh, when I was a little girl...I used to beg my aunt to let me "mix the margarine" Because things were at such a premium and she was afraid I would break the plastic bag, she rarely let me do it.

I never take it for granted when I buy margarine or butter............because I remember...................

Edwina's Secretary
10-25-2002, 12:15 PM
I was raised in a town on the border between Illinois and Wisconsin. At that time it was not legal to sell margarine in Wisconsin (the Dairy State only sold BUTTER!!!!)

Wisonsin people would cross the line to buy (cheaper) oleomargarine (as it was called) in Illinois....

and although I don't remember it I have read -- about mixing the yellow color into the colorless margarine!

Logan
10-25-2002, 12:27 PM
I have resorted to regular butter (salted) for all my cooking. How bad is that? We do use the Brummel and Brown Yogurt spread for toasting and things like that. I haven't bought margarine in ages!!!!!

And Gini......in case you see this, I would love your divinity recipe!! My grandmother used to make Divinity all the time. I have tons of her old cookbooks, with her handwritten notes, and I treasure them, but her recipe for Divinity is no where to be found.

Logan

gini
10-25-2002, 12:31 PM
Logan, you got it! I emailed Lynne that I need to get my act together and "find" the recipes, but I will be sure to do it as soon as I can.

My Dad's very favorite was divinity fudge, so I used to make it every holiday for him. It is fun to make!

wolflady
10-25-2002, 12:40 PM
Indian food is one of my favorite foods. It's a weakness. Many recipes are so time consuming, but here is a quickie for those of you who like to grill! :D

Tandoori Chicken

Ingredients:

8 chicken drumsticks

1 tbsp garlic paste

1 tbsp ginger paste

3-4 tbsp yogurt

1 tsp kasuri methi (available in Indian stores under that name)

3 tbsp lime juice

1 tsp garam masala

1 tsp chili powder

1 tbsp Dhania (coriander seed) powder

1 tsp cumin powder

1/2 tsp orange food colour (powder)

1 tbsp oil

salt to taste

Method:

Slit the chicken drumsticks with a knife and rub salt and lime juice on them.
Take a mixing bowl and add all the ingredients and mix them well to form a marinade.
Marinate the chicken in it for 2 hours (you can marinate it and keep it in the fridge and grill it for next day's dinner).
Place the chicken under a hot grill and grill till the chicken is cooked and slightly smoky.

Note: I get all of my Indian food spices in Indian stores. The spices in regular grocery stores like Safeway just don't taste as good, but can be used.

I can put up some more "involved" indian food recipes if anyone is interested. A lot of them take some time and practice to perfect, but they're yummy!! :D :D

lynnestankard
10-25-2002, 12:48 PM
Could the Yanks explain to the Brits exactly what - Divinity is please?!!!! If it's nice - yes I'd like to try it!! We'd do well giving out recipes for stuff that - 'isn't nice'!!!! It's OK I'll keep taking the tablets!

Lynne

Tanya&Fritz
10-25-2002, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Tanya and Fritz....how is "butter" sold in Canada? Is it tubbed also? Just curious....

No, it's sold in 1 lb blocks.

I'm trying to make the chicken cheese spaghetti that was posted earlier. I'm having a terrible time :D

Thanks to you guys, I now know what a "stick" of margarine is. Then I had to find a conversion chart to figure out what 16 oz of spaghetti is in grams.

I still have no idea what those tomatoes are.

How big is a "small" jar of Cheez Whiz?

If you don't hear from me again, my husband and I have food poisoning :D :D :D

momoffuzzyfaces
10-25-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by lynnestankard
Could the Yanks explain to the Brits exactly what - Divinity is please?!!!! If it's nice - yes I'd like to try it!! We'd do well giving out recipes for stuff that - 'isn't nice'!!!! It's OK I'll keep taking the tablets!

Lynne
Lynne, Divinity is a candy. A very yummy one too! In my humble opinion that is.:D

momoffuzzyfaces
10-25-2002, 12:58 PM

The smallest I've ever seen is an 8 oz jar. Does that help?:)

gini
10-25-2002, 12:58 PM

Lynne

It is a combination of sugar and Karo syrup that is boiled to a certain temperature - vanilla is added (and nuts) and then you have to beat it for quite a while to the right consistency - it is a very "divine" candy - smooth and sweet. Some people call it Angel's candy. It is pretty good stuff! I will get the recipe out to you guys as soon as I can find it.

Andie
10-25-2002, 01:12 PM

I'm trying to make the chicken cheese spaghetti that was posted earlier. I'm having a terrible time :D

Thanks to you guys, I now know what a "stick" of margarine is. Then I had to find a conversion chart to figure out what 16 oz of spaghetti is in grams.

I still have no idea what those tomatoes are.

Rotel is a brand name I forgot to say that, all they are is hot and spicy diced tomatoes

Small is the 8 oz jar (we usually put more but we're cheese addicts)

16 oz is 1 lb (i think) if that helps any

Andie
10-25-2002, 01:15 PM
Found it!!

16 oz. = 1 lb. = 453 grams

Hope that helps ;)

kobear
10-25-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by kohala
(This is easy to do, BTW.)

The marinade is approximate and you can adjust to taste:
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup rice vinegar
Water to cover when you jar them

OOPS! I will edit this when I get home but the 1/2 cup should be a light OIL.

Sorry

Tanya&Fritz
10-25-2002, 01:56 PM
Thanks Andie!

I just finished making the casserole and I'm sure I could feed the entire neighbourhood tonight!

I'll let you know how it is!

Logan
10-25-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by gini

It is a combination of sugar and Karo syrup that is boiled to a certain temperature - vanilla is added (and nuts) and then you have to beat it for quite a while to the right consistency - it is a very "divine" candy - smooth and sweet. Some people call it Angel's candy. It is pretty good stuff! I will get the recipe out to you guys as soon as I can find it.

My grandmother's literally melted in your mouth. I am not a big fan of sweets......but this one is delicious!!! It is "white" and beautiful. But I do think you have to do it exactly right, or it doesn't work!!! Can't wait to try it, Gini. Perhaps I need to forewarn Scott that I will need the ultimate mixer!!! All I have is hand mixer that is about 20 years old!!!!!

Logan

Logan
10-25-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Andie

Rotel is a brand name I forgot to say that, all they are is hot and spicy diced tomatoes

Small is the 8 oz jar (we usually put more but we're cheese addicts)

16 oz is 1 lb (i think) if that helps any

Rotel tomatoes are terrific for making nachos too!! But in addition to having tomatoes that are diced, they also have diced green chilies (YUM) and you can usually find them in mild or hot versions. I get the HOT!!!!! :)

Randi
10-25-2002, 02:47 PM
Measures!

Liquid Measures
1 cup 8 fluid ounces 1/2 pint 237 ml 16 tablespoons
2 cups 16 fluid ounces 1 pint 473 ml
4 cups 32 fluid ounces 1 quart 946 ml
2 pints 32 fluid ounces 1 quart 0.946 liters
4 quarts 128 fluid ounces 1 gallon 3.785 liters
8 quarts one peck
4 pecks one bushel
dash less than 1/4 teaspoon
1 teaspoon 1/6 fluid ounce 5 grams about 5 ml
1 tablespoon 1/2 fluid ounce 15 grams 15 ml 3 teaspoons
2 tablespoons 1 fluid ounce 30 grams 29.6 ml 1/8 cup
8 tablespoons 4 fluid ounces 1/4 pint 118.5 ml 1/2 cup

Dry Measures
3 teaspoons 1 tablespoon 1/2 ounce 14.3 grams
2 tablespoons 1/8 cup 1 fluid ounce 28.35 grams
4 tablespoons 1/4 cup 2 fluid ounces 56.7 grams
5 1/3 tablespoons 1/3 cup 2.6 fluid ounces 75.6 grams
8 tablespoons 1/2 cup 4 ounces 113.4 grams 1 stick butter
12 tablespoons 3/4 cup 6 ounces .375 pound 170 grams
32 tablespoons 2 cups 16 ounces 1 pound 453.6 grams
64 tablespoons 4 cups 32 ounces 2 pounds 907 grams

momoffuzzyfaces
10-25-2002, 03:01 PM
A Pinch = the amount that can be picked up between the index finger and thumb or about 1/8 of a teaspoon. This is found sometimes in older recipies. Such as a pinch of salt etc. Just thought you may want to know in case it comes up.:D

sammi
10-25-2002, 03:48 PM
OMG you guys is this going to be a contest to see who gains the most weight by New Years???? My mouth is watering something terrible! Divinity!!!! To die for! It just melts in your mouth.

How about a recipe for those Mexican Wedding cookies? I would like to (try) and make those.

AmberLee
10-25-2002, 05:08 PM
Randi,

Bless you for researching those conversions! I was trying to remember where my tables were and freaking out. Now I've got 'em where I can just search for them online at my favorite spot on the internet. Yippee!!

My two cents re. Divinity was going to be that it's a whipped white candy a little like a light non-chocolate fudge that melts on your tongue, but you probably got that already.

I have several recipes I'd like to share here but keep forgetting. At a potluck party at work here last week I made Preznick (spelling very approximate) -- a Yugoslavian Cheese Loaf a little like a quiche that everyone raved over. It's delicious and very easy to make. Must dig that recipe out at a minimum.

Oh, this thread also reminds me of a friend's humorous encounter in Australia. She was shopping at a grocery store and said something to her boyfriend. A nearby woman recognized her accent and asked her help interpreting a recipe her new daughter-in-law from California had sent: "She says to add a cup of half-and-half, but half of what and half of what?" This was the first time we'd ever realized that this pre-packaged milk and cream mixture wasn't universal -- at least by 'our' name for it!

kohala
10-25-2002, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by sammi
Question of The Day:

Who knows what "oleo" is and remembers the little "red/orange" dot and what you did with it?? This is really giving my age away.

Back in the '50s, I remember Granda always called margarine "oleo", and I was wondering about the little red dot. Was that the annato bean extract that is used to this day in giving yellow or orange coloring to foods?

momoffuzzyfaces
10-26-2002, 11:04 AM

How about a recipe for those Mexican Wedding cookies? I would like to (try) and make those.

I just happen to have a recipe for those.

Mexican Wedding Cookies

2 cups butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 1/2 cups flour
2 cups chopped pecans
1/2 teaspoon salt
Extra powdered sugar for rolling cookies

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease cookie sheets.
With an electric mixer, cream butter, powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat in the flour, salt, and pecans. Roll stiff dough into bite-sized balls and place 8 across and 9 down on a cookie sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. After cooling for 5 minutes, roll still warm cookies in a bowl of powdered sugar. Let cool. Roll cookies again to cover completely.
Makes 6 dozen.

momoffuzzyfaces
10-26-2002, 11:18 AM
Here's two for lemon lovers. The first is a cake we used to make when I worked at a bakery. It is so simple and good! It doesn't have an official name so I'll call it Lemon-pie cake.

Make your favorite white or yellow cake. (or even lemon cake) Use canned Lemon pie filling to 'frost' it. If you use a two layer mix, put pie filling between the layers then frost the outside too. If you have your cake in a baking dish, just frost it. If you like cocoanut, pat shredded cocoanut on the lemon filling. This is optional. Decorate with a marachino cherry. Also, optional. This is a great treat.

Here's the second lemon lover recipe:

Lemon Whipper Snappers

1 box lemon cake mix
2 cups whipped topping
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Combine cake mix, whipped topping, and egg in a large bowl; mix well.
Drop by teaspoon in powdered sugar and roll to coat.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes.
Makes 4 dozen cookies

Freckles
10-26-2002, 11:25 AM
Question of The Day:

Margerine originally was white and certainly didn't look appealing on white bread. I don't remember the brand but the oleomargerine came in a one lb plastic bag. Also inside was a small reddish capsule. First chore was to break open the capsule by squeezing it. Then knead the bag until the oleo was an even yellow color. Back in the fridge until it was solid again. I remember kneading many pounds of oleo until finally the Oregon state legislature allowed colored margerine in the stores.

Tanya&Fritz
10-26-2002, 01:58 PM
You can probably tell I'm bored but... Here is a picture of Canadian margarine!

Logan
10-26-2002, 02:25 PM
Do any of you have a good recipe for Corn Chowder? We're getting into the heart of "fall" now, and we love soup, especially Corn Chowder!!! :)

Cookiebaker
10-26-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Logan
Do any of you have a good recipe for Corn Chowder? We're getting into the heart of "fall" now, and we love soup, especially Corn Chowder!!! :)

Mmmmm...corn chowder! One of my absolute favorite recipes to make. This one is soo easy, and one I will whip up if family or friends come unexpectedly and I am at a loss for something to make. Served with warm rolls or biscuits, makes a perfect autumn or winter meal...

Creamy Corn Chowder
6-8 servings

2 chicken bouillon cubes
1 cup hot water
5 bacon strips
1 cup chopped green pepper (optional)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup flour
3 cups milk
1 1/2 cups corn (I use frozen)
1 (14 3/4 oz.) can cream style corn
1/2 teaspoon each salt, seasoned salt, basil and white pepper

Dissolve bouillon in water & set aside. In 5 quart dutch oven, cook bacon. Crumble & set aside. In drippings, saute green pepper & onion until tender. Add flour and cook until bubbly. Cook one more minute. Gradually stir in milk & bouillon. Reduce heat; cook & stir until thickened. Add corn (both kinds) and seasoning. Cook 10 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with bacon.

(I also will sometimes top with grated cheddar or parmesean cheese at the table).

This recipe comes from Taste of Home, my favorite cooking magazines. Are any of you familiar or fans of this magazine?? I personally think it's the best!

popcornbird
10-26-2002, 03:10 PM

Ummm..............all I can say is ........................................ LOL! :D

jenluckenbach
10-26-2002, 03:26 PM
Yes! Very much so. As a matter of fact, I was going to request some vegetariean recipes that fall into the low fat catagory. Does any one have any?

kohala
10-26-2002, 04:37 PM

LOL!! There are many brands that are sold that way here, too! I buy a brand called "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter - Light" that comes in a one pund tub (looks like the same size as the one you pictured.) Tub margarine usually is soft, and I have found that the brand I use also has a bit of water when it is melted.
When I cook using margarine where I actually do measure ingredients, I use measuring cups and scoop out the equvalent of a "stick" of butter or margarine by scooping and leveling a half cup measure. Because of the water I usually scoop a little extra.

Logan
10-26-2002, 05:02 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Cookiebaker, for the corn chowder recipe!!!!! Can't wait to try it!!!!!! :D

And by the way, I am very familiar with Taste of Home. I don't get the magazine, but I do get their email recipes and print them off for use later. When is later??? I don't know! LOL!!! But one day, I will try them!!!! :o

Miss Meow
10-26-2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach

Yes! Very much so. As a matter of fact, I was going to request some vegetariean recipes that fall into the low fat catagory. Does any one have any?

I don't eat meat so we have heaps of recipes. I'll start digging out the low fat winter ones and posting them tomorrow.:)

jenluckenbach
10-26-2002, 07:41 PM

I don't eat meat so we have heaps of recipes. I'll start digging out the low fat winter ones and posting them tomorrow.:)
my cook pot or casserole dish will be waiting!

Miss Meow
10-26-2002, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Cookiebaker

Creamy Corn Chowder

Cookiebaker, do you think this would work as a vegetarian dish without the bacon and substituting the chicken cubes for vege? Because it looks yummy :D

AmberLee
10-26-2002, 08:54 PM
Easy to make, rich and tasty appetizer -- something like a quiche. Good cold, but fabulous out of the oven. (I got this recipe from a friend and fellow cat lover, Olga Porobich)

Main recipe:
4 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1 pound grated Monterey Jack Cheese
1 pint cottage cheese (2 cups)
1 stick (1/4 pound) melted butter or margarine

Mix all ingredients into a batter. Bake in pan at 375 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm.

Variation 1: add chili rellano peppers (Oretga brand? -- peeled and seeded) when preparing batter.

Variation 2 (I used this last week at a potluck, very enthusiastically received):
Add:
1 sausage, sauted
1/4 yellow onion, diced, sauted with sausage
1/4 pound cooked asparagus tips, chopped finely
1/4 pound sliced cooked mushrooms

Mix with batter and bake. The baking time took about 5 minutes longer to get the bubbling brown top I'm used to with this, which surprised me -- I'd thought the heated sausage would cause it to cook faster...

AmberLee
10-26-2002, 09:01 PM
Recipe provided by Mildred Terzich (Olga's cousin)

2 packages of crescent rolls, rolled out flat on a cookie sheet (get rid of the serrations).

Bake 10 - 12 minutes per instructions on the package.

16 oz. of cream cheese, softened. Blend in (to taste)
Garlic powder
onion flakes
dill

Spread mixture over baked crescent rolls.

Spread generously and pat into spiced roll:
Tiny broccoli flowerets
Tiny cauliflower flowerets
shreaded carrots
shreaded radishs
minced green onions
shreaded jicama

Refrigerate overnight. Slice into 'pizza slices'. Delicious!

turner
10-26-2002, 09:28 PM
I can't beleive I just found this thread!!!! Need to pull out my recipes.....

I don't know how to "quote" something someone wrote.....but anyways TANDOORI CHICKEN IS MY FAV!!!! THANKS FOR THE RECEIPE! Now lets see if I can actually make it!

Logan
10-26-2002, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by AmberLee
Easy to make, rich and tasty appetizer -- something like a quiche. Good cold, but fabulous out of the oven. (I got this recipe from a friend and fellow cat lover, Olga Porobich)

What size pan do you use? I need all the help I can get!!! LOL!! :o

turner
10-26-2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by wolflady
Indian food is one of my favorite foods. It's a weakness. Many recipes are so time consuming, but here is a quickie for those of you who like to grill! :D

Tandoori Chicken

Just testing to see if I can reply with a quote!!!!

AmberLee
10-26-2002, 09:49 PM

What size pan do you use? I need all the help I can get!!! LOL!! :o

:o :o I use a medium rectangular Pyrex baking dish. It's roughly 9 inches by 18 inches?? (At this moment it's in the dishwasher and I can't get to it. Watch this thread...) Oh rats, no, don't. Just remembered that I use this pan when making more than a single recipe.

:confused: Let's see. I usually double the recipe and that pan gets about 2/3 of the resulting batter and the rest goes into the smaller cake pan. :o :mad: :o Logan -- I have NO idea for the regular recipe/not doubled... You want to put it in a pan so that the mixture is about halfway up -- it 'poofs' up slightly so filling the pan runs a high risk of overflow. (Pun not spotted till it was too late, but I like it and won't rephrase the sentence...) Is this babbling any help???

Note: with the butter and such, it's a rich mixture that you don't need to butter the pan. It usually bakes into a firm cake-like loaf that pulls away from the side on it's own. Let it cool slightly and you can cut it into cubes and serve it piled in a pyramid on a serving tray. Very effective/attractive at a party or shower.

Good luck (I feel like I've mangled these instructions.) :o

Yeah, Turner! Got the quotes down beautifully!

Cookiebaker
10-26-2002, 11:07 PM

Cookiebaker, do you think this would work as a vegetarian dish without the bacon and substituting the chicken cubes for vege? Because it looks yummy :D

MM, yes I think it should work fine. I'm not that familar with vegetarian, but it's pretty versatile, & think it would work fine with the changes.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Cookiebaker, for the corn chowder recipe!!!!! Can't wait to try it!!!!!!

You are very welcome, I hope you enjoy it. :D

kohala
10-27-2002, 01:52 AM
Any of you vegetarians have a recipe for a good eggplant parmesan?

10-27-2002, 08:49 AM
What the heck is this ??LOL It means Flemish pancakes . These are very thin , not like American pancakes ...! More like
"Crêpes" from France !!

Okay , here comes my alltime favorite recipe :

200 g flour (400)
1/2 liter milk (1 l)
2 eggs (4)
3 tablespoons oil (4)
3 tablespoons "port" (4)

You may start baking emediately !! Best is to use a non-stick pan ;
Put a bit of margarine in the pan , melt it and pour 1 dipper of the mixture in the pan . Be sure it is very well heated ! Very soon , the edges dry up , so shortly after this you can try to turn the pancake .
Have fun !!

I do not turn them with a spoon or so , I throw it in the air like a real chef !!! Sorry , no pics of this :D :rolleyes:

Oeps , forgot to tell that this is enough for 2 persons . If you are 4-5 , just follow the number between ( ) !

gini
10-27-2002, 08:55 AM
The corn chowder sounds so good - I will have to try it!

PEANUT BRITTLE

prepare the largest cookie sheet you have with butter.

1 CUP OF SUGAR
1/4 CUP OF WATER
1/2 CUP OF WHITE KARO SYRUP
1 CUP RAW (UNCOOKED) SPANISH PEANUTS
1 TABLESPOON BUTTER
1 1/2 TEASPOON VANILLA
1 LEVEL TEASPOON BAKING SODA

Melt sugar in Karo syrup and water. Bring to a soft boil. Add the peanuts and butter.

Bring back to a boil and cook for ten minutes until the peanuts pop open and the mixture turns a reddish brown.

Take from the fire and add 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla and the 1 level teaspoon of baking soda. Work fast - and fold the mixture well.

Pour onto your prepared baking sheet and pull the mixture thin.

The secret is to get the brittle as thin as possible so you have to work fast. The brittle hardens quickly.

Miss Meow
10-27-2002, 07:18 PM
All those recipes look divine!

Jen, haven't forgotten the low fat stuff, but I remembered this salmon dish that is perfect for a Christmas spread or dinner party. It is beautiful.

SALMON, SPINACH AND MOZZARELLA IN PASTRY
(shamelessly stolen from Cuisine Magazine, issue 89)

1 (1.2kg/2.5lb approx) side of skinned and boned fresh salmon (or if you can’t get a whole side, get a few fillets of the same size)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
500g (just over 1lb) fresh spinach
100g (approx ¼lb) fresh mozzarella or bocconcini cheese
200g (approx ½lb) fresh ricotta cheese
pinch of ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons chopped spring onions
2 tablespoons chopped chives
2 eggs (1 for recipe, 1 beaten egg for glazing)
800g (1.75lb) puff pastry (a good quality frozen pastry is fine)

Season the salmon with salt and pepper. If you have a whole side of salmon, cut it into two pieces down the middle lengthwise. Set aside.

Wash the spinach carefully and cook in a small amount of salted water until it wilts. Refresh under cold water and drain thoroughly. Chop very finely and place in a mixing bowl.

Chop the mozzarella into tiny pieces and add to the spinach. Add the ricotta, salt and pepper, nutmeg, spring onion and chives. Mix well and add the beaten egg.

Roll out half the pastry into a rectangle about 6cm (2.5 inches) larger than the salmon pieces on all sides. Place this on a baking sheet. Spread half the spinach and cheese mixture in the centre of the pastry so it covers approximately two-thirds of the area, leaving a strip of about 6cm (2.5 inches) on all sides.

Place the salmon pieces on top of the pastry, side by side so the shape roughly equates to an oblong. Sprinkle over extra salt and pepper.

Carefully spread the remaining spinach and cheese mixture over the salmon.

Roll out the remaining pastry and place this on top. Pull the extra pastry from the base upwards and brush with the beaten egg. Seal the two pieces of pastry together with beaten egg so the salmon is completely enclosed in a neat pastry parcel.

Use any trimmings to decorate the top (long strips criss-crossed, or for Christmas press out some holly leaves and berries). Completely brush the parcel with beaten egg.

Return to the refrigerator for at least half an hour.

Bake at 200 degrees C (400F) for 15-20 minutes until the pastry is crisp and golden, and the salmon is cooked.

Serves 6 as a main meal or 12-16 as a buffet dish.

The instructions might be confusing so here is a small pic of the finished product.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid37/p87c89986e371e26d6ca6cecd1b1eb771/fd1da7ab.jpg.thumb.jpg

Miss Meow
10-27-2002, 07:34 PM
TOMATO-BASED PASTA SAUCE

This is a low fat pasta sauce which is great by itself or with any number of variations (I've listed a few at the bottom).

2 medium onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 x 800g can crushed tomatoes
2 sachets tomato paste (equivalent to 2 tablespoons)
large pinch sugar
salt
freshly ground black pepper
small handful fresh basil leaves
olive oil

Fry onions and garlic in a little olive oil until translucent.

Add canned tomatoes, tomato paste and sugar. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer for at least 15 minutes, stirring regularly (if you simmer gently for longer the tastes will further develop). Add torn basil leaves about 10 minutes before serving.

Serve with cooked fresh or packaged pasta and sprinkle with parmesan if desired.

Keeps for a few days in the fridge and freezes well. This is a double batch and I usually freeze half for later. Just halve the quantities to get 4-6 servings.

Variations:

- add a can of tuna chunks towards end of cooking for a filling tuna pasta.
- add black olives and a few anchovies for a Mediterranean-style pasta (the anchovies will melt down and provide a salty depth of flavour so omit the salt)
- slice vegetables to about a ¼ inch thickness (potatoes, pumpkin, capsicum, sweet potato, carrot, red onion etc), lightly coat with olive oil and roast for 25-30 minutes. Add to pasta sauce towards end of cooking for a beautiful roasted vegetable pasta (if using capsicum, remember the skin will turn black – peel it off after roasting)
- this is a great sauce if making lasagne
- add a little more sugar while cooking and add a couple of handfuls of baby peas (frozen is fine) for a spring pasta
- add some fresh chopped chillies or some dried chillies (soaked in warm water for 10 minutes) for a chilli pasta
- add dried herbs (oregano, mixed herbs etc) for a stronger style sauce suitable for meat dishes

DoggiesAreTheBest
10-28-2002, 07:05 AM
kohala, Here's a great recipe for eggplant parmesan.

Eggplant Paremsan

1 1 medium eggplant sliced
1 egg beaten with 2 tablespoons milk
Dried Italian bread crumbs
Olive oil
6 ounces tomato paste
6 ounces white or red wine
Pinch dried oregano
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1/2 pound mozzarella, sliced
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Slice washed eggplant 1/2-inch thick. Dip slices into the egg mixture and then into the bread crumbs, coat well. Grease a cookie sheet with olive oil. Arrange each slice of coated eggplant in one layer on the cookie sheet and drizzle each piece with olive oil. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes. Check that the slices are golden brown, turn then and bake for another 15 minutes. They should be browned on both sides. Set aside.
In a small saucepan dilute the tomato paste with wine. A good mix is a can of paste and a can of wine. Add the oregano, salt, pepper, and crushed garlic. In a baking dish arrange browned eggplant slices in 1 layer. Spread 2 tablespoons of sauce on each slice. Layer each eggplant with a slice of mozzarella and sauce until all is used. Top with Parmesan cheese and bake for about 20 minutes. Serve hot.

Cook Time: 50 minutes

DoggiesAreTheBest
10-28-2002, 07:09 AM
Flafel

2 cups dried chickpeas, soaked in water and covered over night
1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
3 cloves peeled and crushed garlic
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
1/4 tablespoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Oil, for deep-frying
Pita bread

Toppings:
Lettuce
Cucumbers
Tomatoes
Onions

Soak chickpeas in water overnight.
Run chickpeas through food processor. Blend in yellow onion, garlic, sesame seeds parsley, salt, cumin baking powder, coriander, black pepper, and cayenne pepper, and let stand for 1 hour.
Form into balls about 1-inch in diameter. Deep fry in oil until golden brown. This takes approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Serve in a pita bread and fill with lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, and onions.

Cataholic
10-28-2002, 11:28 AM
kohala, Here's a great recipe for eggplant parmesan.

Eggplant Paremsan

1 1 medium eggplant sliced
1 egg beaten with 2 tablespoons milk
Dried Italian bread crumbs
Olive oil
6 ounces tomato paste
6 ounces white or red wine
Pinch dried oregano
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1/2 pound mozzarella, sliced
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Slice washed eggplant 1/2-inch thick. Dip slices into the egg mixture and then into the bread crumbs, coat well. Grease a cookie sheet with olive oil. Arrange each slice of coated eggplant in one layer on the cookie sheet and drizzle each piece with olive oil. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes. Check that the slices are golden brown, turn then and bake for another 15 minutes. They should be browned on both sides. Set aside.
In a small saucepan dilute the tomato paste with wine. A good mix is a can of paste and a can of wine. Add the oregano, salt, pepper, and crushed garlic. In a baking dish arrange browned eggplant slices in 1 layer. Spread 2 tablespoons of sauce on each slice. Layer each eggplant with a slice of mozzarella and sauce until all is used. Top with Parmesan cheese and bake for about 20 minutes. Serve hot.

Cook Time: 50 minutes

Koahla- pretty much the same, but, even easier, but maybe less healthy:

Skin the eggplant, slice less than 1/4 inch, dip in milk, italian crumbs, fry in light oil.

Then, use STORE bought Italian tomatoe sauce (the spices are already in there :D ). Layer as follows....light application of sauce in casserole dish, eggplant, shredded mozz cheese, light sauce, eggplant, shreaded parm cheese, eggplant, mozz cheese, sauce, etc...depending on how deep your casserole dish is. Then back 350 for min 30 minutes. About 10 minutes until done...add last layer of cheese- whichever one you didn't last use..nice double negative, huh?

Be careful that you allow enough room for the bubble over effect. Since EP is mostly water, and then the sauce you add, it always wants to go over the top. Maybe a pie sheet under neath?

Good luck, and happy eating! Use that Texas Toast and things will be mighty tasty. When are we eating???

kingrattus
10-28-2002, 11:30 AM
anybody have any neat pizza ones???

Cataholic
10-28-2002, 12:13 PM
Kingrattus...maybe you already know this one..but for a quick easy lower calorie pizza, I get the flat bread crust (shaped like a pizza), add light olive oil, bake it to crisp it up...then add crushed, drained pineapple and low fat mozz cheese, crushed red pepper, and pop it back into the oven for another ten minutes to melt and brown a little bit..yummy.

Cataholic
10-28-2002, 12:31 PM
Jen- my chili- a page or two back, constitutes low fat....

Miss Meow's sauce recipe sounds very delish, too.

Here is a great easy salmon salad..though I like it better in the summertime, I dont know why.

Fresh salmon fillet or steaks- grilled- maybe you want to marinade it in a zesty sauce first, though I love the taste of salmon plain.

Then- go to the grocery and pass right over the lettuce section- and head straight to the DOLE pre packaged salads, and buy the spring mix (For non 'Staties'..Dole is a brand name- the salad mix is more of a specialty mix...not much iceburg lettuce- but has radish stems, fancy lettuces..I don't know all their names- but you want to use fancy lettuces- not iceburg).

Then, arrange the lettuce on the plate (do I really need to tell you this?) cool the salmon, remove the nasty skin and that brownish grey junk, and break it up loosely on the lettuce.

Sprinkly crumbled blue cheese (feta is ok, too), craisins (dried cranberries, sweetened), and sunflower seeds. Then, buy the fat free dressing made by Brianna's with raspberry or some other fruity flavoring. Again, Brianna's is a name brand. You want a liht vinerageratte (spelling is not right), and fruity stuff makes a nice complement.

With the exception of grilling the fish...you are looking at five minutes, tops. I love it on Sunday evenings...grill outside, nice bottle of wine, lovely toasted bread..oh, yeah, that part isn't low fat.

Tanya&Fritz
10-28-2002, 12:40 PM
Jess, I make homemade pizza with pita bread. I broil the pita bread with olive oil. Then I add pizza sauce, mushrooms, peppers, onions, fresh garlic or anything else you want. Sometimes I put pepperoni, chicken, shrimp... Then I put the pizza blend cheese (from Loblaws) on top and bake it a bit longer.

Yum, I'm getting hungry :D

Cincy'sMom
10-28-2002, 04:15 PM
Question of The Day:

I know what Oleo is! (Don't remember the dot though...

I LOVE Tandoori Chicken! Thank you for the recipe!!

So many good recipes here!!!! I think i will moave them to a word document and put them ALL in my ccokbook drawer!

i never did get those Cambodian recipes posted..I will do that soon...

koxka
10-28-2002, 04:54 PM
Ok. that's a special request of Randi..

It's a seasonal sweet for Toussaints ,your Halloween ( 1ts.Nov.)

PANELLETS
The mass:
1/2 kg. row ground almonds
1/2 kg. Ground sugar
150 gr. Potatoes
1 egg
A grated peel of a lemon.

Boil the potatoes for a 20 minuts or till they becomes soft.Peel them,cut in pieces,smash lightly and allow it to cool.
Mix the almonds and the sugar .
Add this mixture to the boiled potatoes.
Knead to form a firm mass .
Add the grated peel of a lemon and mix with the mass.
Make balls smaller than the size of a tennis table ball.
Stir the egg, soak the balls in there and roll
over the peanuts to make a coat.
Preheat the oven grill to 250ºC.and brown them ( golden colour)

You can substitute part of the potatoes for sweet potatoes or pumpkin if you like.
The Panellets will last for severals days if kept in an airtight container.
Enjoy!

Anna

PS:Koala & Nicole I'm working in your recipes now..

kingrattus
10-28-2002, 11:09 PM
thanks for the pizza ideas, thanks people :)
but more are welcome
I'm a pizza lover

Poor little shrimp :( I like sea animals in my tanks not on my dinner plate... hehehe

The people I live with keep saying their gonna fry up my fish & have turtle soup. It gets me going every time.. hehehe

Randi
10-29-2002, 05:00 PM
Anna, you're an angel! :D I love these Paneletts, just didn't know the name of them. Thanks for the translation! You know, I can speak a bit of spanish, but catalan is definately beyond me! ;)

Will try and make them one of these days - you're welcome for afternoon Café con leche! :D

koxka
10-29-2002, 05:37 PM
you're welcome for afternoon Café con leche!

Randi there's no way I'll eat Panellets con Café con leche, some sweet wine is in order.....some Moscatell maybe? :D

Well, in fact we have three days off this week-end ....so be prepared.:D
(just kidding)

Anna

Randi
10-31-2002, 11:55 AM
Ok Koxka, I'll keep that in mind! - I love Moscatel! :D

Now folks, X-mas is getting closer, so here's a recipe for a

Fruitcake!

Ingredients:

*One cup water
*One cup sugar
*Four large eggs
*Two cups of dried fruit
*One teaspoon baking soda
*One teaspoon salt
*One cup brown sugar
*Lemon juice
*Nuts
*One bottle whisky

Sample the whisky to check for quality. Take a large bowl. Check the whisky again. To be sure it is the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink.

Repeat.

Turn on the electric mixer, beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add one teaspoon of sugar and beat again.

Make sure the whisky is still okay. Cry another tup. Turn off the mixer.

Break two leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit.

Mix on the turner. If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers pry it loose with a drewscriver.

Sample the whisky to check for tonsisticity. Next, sift two cups of salt. Or something. Who cares? Check the whisky.

Now sift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table. Spoon. Of sugar or something. Whatever you can find.

Grease the oven. Turn the cake tin to 350 degrees. Don't forget to beat off the turner.

Throw the bowl out of the window, check the whisky again, and crawl to bed.

..... and, mind the slippery floor!

lynnestankard
10-31-2002, 12:18 PM
LOL Randi - yes that sure is a good 'recipe'!!! Think I'll make a couple of Christmas Cakes this year!!!! Hic hic hic :D :D :D

Lynne

gini
10-31-2002, 12:29 PM
Hmm, sounds like it would be fun to make these special Christmas cakes together..............more "ingredients" to share.

Randi
10-31-2002, 02:37 PM
Hmm, sounds like it would be fun to make these special Christmas cakes together..............more "ingredients" to share.
Yes, wouldn't it?! :D We'd have to change one of the major ingredients though, if I were to join - I hate whisky! What do you say we change it to Rum! ;)

moosmom
10-31-2002, 03:29 PM
BETTER THAN SEX CAKE

Bake a box German Chocolate cake.
Take a hollow ice cream scoop handle and poke 12 holes in the cake.
Take caramel or butterscotch syrup and fill each hole with it.
Frost the cake with Cool Whip
Sprinkle crushed Butterfinger candy bar on top.

Enjoy!!

Ingredients:

Box German Chocolate Cake
Caramel syrup or butterscotch syrup
Cool Whip
Butterfingers Candy Bar

This cake is SINFUL and very rich!!

Cataholic
11-01-2002, 01:35 PM
I would hate to see ANYONE making the Fruit cake along with the Better than Sex cake...while it might be fun (Yikes, don't tell my mom about this), it could be diasterous! :eek:

Randi
11-03-2002, 08:27 AM
Here's a recipe for a nice and healthy sidedish, and it's easy! ;)

This is for 2 persons.

3-4 Jerusalem artichokes
1 cup (about 1/2 pint of whipping cream - (is that single or double?)
1 egg
1 piece of garlic
salt
pepper
a little chives

Boil Jerusalem artichokes for 5 min., let them cool, slice them into thin slices. Put them into a greased owenproff bowl. Stir the egg, crushed garlic, chives, cream, salt and pepper and pour it over.

Bake in oven for about 30-40 min. until slightly brown on top. Serve as a sidedish with meat.

http://www.gasa-odense.dk/fg/Diverse/jordskok.jpg

kohala
11-03-2002, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Randi
3-4 of these (don't know the name in english, so therefore the picture below)
http://www.gasa-odense.dk/fg/Diverse/jordskok.jpg

Looks like ginger root to me:) . yummy

Randi
11-03-2002, 10:00 AM
Kohala, it's not ginger root! I've looked it up (didn't think it would be in my dictonary at first) and it says: Jerusalem artichoke. :eek:

kohala
11-03-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Randi
Kohala, it's not ginger root! I've looked it up (didn't think it would be in my dictonary at first) and it says: Jerusalem artichoke. :eek:

Ahhhhh - that makes more sense with the recipe. I used to use a lot of ginger in cooking, and was trying to imagine the flavors! This makes a lot more sense:D !!!! It does look like ginger root, tho, don't you think?

(BTW - I still get a big smilie every time I see that Fister pose!!!!!)

Cataholic
11-03-2002, 05:23 PM
That is a strange looking root veggie. I think it is artichoke, just shaped differently. The rest of the recipe would go with plain artichokes.

kohala
11-03-2002, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
That is a strange looking root veggie. I think it is artichoke, just shaped differently. The rest of the recipe would go with plain artichokes.

I am not familiar with them, so looked them up. Here's a link:http://www.growinglifestyle.com/article/s0/a56671.html

Interesting, and apparently very deceptively named.

AmberLee
11-04-2002, 06:56 PM
Thank you, I'd heard of this vegetable, but only in generic terms. I appreciate the additional info.

wolflady
11-05-2002, 11:26 AM
How funny! It certainly did look like ginger! LOL Where would I be able to pick up these Jerusalem artichokes? What do they taste like? I'm very interested in trying that recipe:) They certainly look different from the artichokes I'm used to (which I use to make a really yummy artichoke cheese dip! YUM!).

Perhaps I could find them at Whole Foods??

If anyone wants more Indian recipes, do let me know!:D

Randi
11-05-2002, 12:13 PM
Kohala, thanks a lot for posting the link, it's very informative. I must admit, I've only just noticed these in Denmark. Someone made a dish with them and I really liked it, so I asked, but not all greengrocers here sell them. - I bet they're healthy too! :D

lynnestankard
11-05-2002, 12:51 PM
We have them on sale over here in the UK 0- perhaps it's a European veggie?

Lynne

Karen
11-05-2002, 01:53 PM
My uncle grew them in his garden for years - but I've never looked for them in stores. Perhaps they're just in "fancy" grocery stores ...

RockyRoad
11-05-2002, 02:22 PM
Ok here ya go I've got one but it's a beverage and it is non-alchoholic so do not worry or else a 12 year old would not be posting it:

Dr. Nog
(makes 48 servings)
4 quarts commercially prepared eggnog
1 bottle(2 liters)Dr. Pepper
ground nutmeg(optional)

Combine eggnog with Dr. Pepper. Pour into puch bowl. Sprinkle with nutmeg if desired. Pretty simple.

Dyed-To-Match-Punch
(makes about 60 servings)
4 1/2 cups granulated sugar
5 1/2 quarts water
2 cups bottled lemon juice
2 cans(12 ounces each) frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed, undiluted
food color(optional)
1/4 cup hot water
1 bottle(i liter) ginger ale, chilled

In a large container, combine sugar, water, and lemon juice; stir until sugar dissolves. Stir in lemonade.To color punch, dissolve a few drops of food color in hot water; add to punch. Refigerate until serving time. Pour chilled punch into punch bowl. Add ginger ale just before serving.

This can also be created as slushy punch. Just make the recipe(without ginger ale) ahead of time and store in freezer. Thaw to slushy consistency before serving, then add ginger ale.

Miss Meow
11-05-2002, 04:13 PM
Does anybody have a recipe for a Mexican stuffed chilli? I had it once at an authentic Mexican restaurant and it was a big mild green chilli, stuffed with maybe cream cheese and some other things. Vague I know, but in the small hope :)

AmberLee
11-05-2002, 05:12 PM
Miss Meow/Nicole -

I'm almost positive the recipe you want is Chili Rellano. It's a mild chili stuffed with cheese and baked. Mom loves it, but I'm allergic to it... I'm sure I can find the recipe, and will post it here unless someone beats me to it. ;)

toughCookie
11-05-2002, 08:00 PM
this is a good thread! I have a few recipes to share, and will try to post them in the near future... in a week or tow, have to get
them all together! my mother and grandmothers were/ are good cooks! and there are some recipes posted on here I can't wait to try!:)

kohala
11-05-2002, 09:32 PM
We have them on sale over here in the UK 0- perhaps it's a European veggie?

Lynne
According to the info I got from the link I found, they are not artichokes, and are a native north american tuber or root.

kohala
11-05-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by AmberLee
Miss Meow/Nicole -

I'm almost positive the recipe you want is Chili Rellano. It's a mild chili stuffed with cheese and baked. Mom loves it, but I'm allergic to it... I'm sure I can find the recipe, and will post it here unless someone beats me to it. ;)

I have a recipe for them, and they are my FAVORITE Mexican food. And believe me, we cook serious Mexican here! My neighbors are always bringing over a "plate" when they barbeque - carne asada, refried beans, Mexican red rice, guacamole and fresh salsa: mmmmmmmm!! Muchas gracias, Maria y Rafael!!!!

About those rellenos: The idea is that this is a stuffed chile. Could be a popper, for all we know! But, no - a really great chile relleno is made with the long, mild green chile (skins and seeds removed) stuffed with casero or jack (or both) cheese (we use jack cheese, casero makes Dadcat sick!), battered with a thick egg batter and deep fried.

Mom made great ones, but I always had trouble getting the batter to stick the way she did it, and she didn't deep fry them. I had a friend who made them in a casserole, still my favorite, as the batter really makes the chile!! I'll get a couple of recipes from a couple of local Mexican friends who do them right and post them - remember, the ingredients really make the difference! BTW, I bet you can get those chiles canned, I know we use them that way here a lot for carne verde (beef strips sauted with lots of chiles, onions and a few tomatoes.)

For now - here's how Mom would do one, and you can increase it according to how many chiles you are making:

Scorch the skin on a mild green chile, remove.
Make a slit from the stem half way down the side, and remove the seeds.
Fill the center of the chile with a piece of jack cheese (or any Mexican cheese you like, stay away from sharp cheese, tho) cut to fit the inside of the chile, but loosely.
To batter them, she would first roll them in flour, then dip them in a mix of egg with a little milk long enough for the flour to moisten, then roll them in flour again. The idea is to create a pretty thick egg based coating.

Then she'd drop them in a preheated hot skillet, turning them once the first side "crusted". They would puff slightly when they cook, making the yummiest battered chile!!

Cook them to a fluffy, golden brown, and the stems stay in as handles.

They are soooooooo good - if you get them in a restaurant, they are good if they aren't oily. Too many places deep fry and don't properly drain and dry them.

Miss Meow
11-06-2002, 12:18 AM
Thank you AmberLee and Kohala, that must be the recipe!
I can't wait to make it soon.

Kohala, I love authentic Mexican food, which we don't get in Australia. I am going to start picking your brains for your favourites :D

kohala
11-25-2002, 09:32 PM
What's up folks? With Thanksgiving around the corner here in the USA, I thought I'd see soem new posts.

Hmmmmmmm?

SANDY FROST
11-25-2002, 11:53 PM
Riveside Pumpkin Dessert
1 large can pumpkin(3 3/4)
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 t cloves
1/2 t ginger
1 1/2 cinnamon
1 1/2 cups light cream (or evaporated milk)
1 pkg. yellow cake mix
1 1/2 cubes margarine
1 1/2 cups nuts
Beat all together. Pour into a 9 x 13 Pyrex dish.

Sprinkle cake mix over top & pour 1 1/2 melted margarine over mix. Sprinkle
1 1/2 cups nuts over top. Bake at 325 degrees for one hour or more, if needed. Insert knife or toothpick to tell when done.

Cut into 18 squares. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
Sandy Frost:)

gini
11-26-2002, 12:01 AM
Sandy Frost - boy does that ever look good.........but it is after 10 here - a little too late to start baking!!

Does the pyrex dish need to be "prepared" (greased and floured?)

SANDY FROST
11-26-2002, 12:56 AM
I don't know I just got the recipe from a friend &
she just got it from someone else. And we have not tried it.:D
Sandy Frost

DoggiesAreTheBest
11-26-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by kohala
What's up folks? With Thanksgiving around the corner here in the USA, I thought I'd see soem new posts.

Well, here are a few recipes from what I will be serving for Thanksgiving!

Stuffed Onions

4 large onions (about 3/4 pound each)
1/4 cup cream
Salt and pepper
1 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1 1/3 cups mashed potatoes
1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese plus enough to sprinkle

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Cut the top 1/2-inch from each onion, peel the onions, and with a melon-ball cutter scoop out the centers, reserving
the onion pieces, leaving 2 layers of onion or 1/3-inch-thick shells, leave the bottoms slightly thicker. Chop and
transfer the reserved onion pieces to a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish. Drizzle the broth over them, and arrange the
onion shells, inverted on top. Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake the onions in the middle of the oven for 45 to
50 minutes, or until the shells are just tender. Remove and reserve the shells. In a sauce pan, mix the chopped onion
pieces, the cream, bread crumbs, salt and pepper, to taste. Cook mixture until thick and boiling. Remove from heat
and mix in mashed potatoes and 1/2 cup of cheese.
Stuff onions with mashed potato mixture. Back in oven for 35 minutes. Remove from heat and sprinkle more cheese
on top. Serve hot!

Asparagus Casserole

1 can of Long Asparagus
1 1/2 cup mushroom soup
5 tablespoons bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
3/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 can onion rings

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In mixing bowl mix mushroom soup, bread crumbs, garlic powder, and 1/2 cup of cheese. Arrange
asparagus spears in casserole dish. Pour soup mixture over asparagus. Cook in oven for 50 minutes or until
Bubbly and semi firm. Remove from oven, cover with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese and 1 can of onion
rings. Put back in oven for 10 minutes. Remove and serve hot!

Miss Meow
11-26-2002, 10:55 PM
Did you know asparagus can grow a foot in height overnight? That's why asparagus pickers have to stay out all night in case the little green shoots of yumminess get too big. And that's why we should eat lots of asparagus because someone went without ZZZZZs so we can eat it. Yum yum yum :) Thanks Doggies for the recipe!

kohala
11-27-2002, 12:07 AM
Oh, yummie!! I am definitely trying that one. I LOOOOOOOVE onions!!!!!

SANDY FROST
11-27-2002, 02:32 AM
CHEZZY POTATO CASSREOLE

2 lbs. frozen hashed browns
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 tsp. pepper
1tsp. salt
1/2 cup diced onion
a can cream of chicken soup
1 pt. sour cream
2 cups grated cheese
1/4 cup margerine, melted
2 cups crushed corn flakes

Thaw potatoes before mixing. Saute onion in 1/2 cup butter.
Combine all ingredients (except margerinr & corn flakes) in 9x 13 buttered
casserole dish. Combine margerine & corn flakes & sprinkle over top.
Bake, uncovered in 350 degrees oven for 45- 60 miniutes

Kohala look onions.
sandy frost

AmberLee
12-01-2002, 06:04 PM
Wow! Wonderful recipes here.

sammi
12-01-2002, 07:14 PM
momoffuzzyfaces - thanks for the "Mexican Wedding cookie" recipe. I hope to make it b/4 holidays.

Can't remember who posted the "Potatoe Chip Fudge" but I made it and its very easy and good! I think I would even add more p. chips next time. (taste like ? rice krispies).

I think the Asparagus Casserole sounds good. So many good things to try. Wish I had a cook to make it all for me!!!!!!!
Guess I 'll go have a piece of pumkin pie and whip cream.;)
Well it was a frozen one I baked but its not bad!!!

shais_mom
12-07-2002, 10:07 PM
I am just bumpin this to the top so we can bookmark it.
:D

gini
12-13-2002, 08:59 AM
*bump*

Randi
12-13-2002, 09:38 AM
I haven't tried this, but it sounds delicious! Found it on some recipe site. :) If you try it, let me know if it's good please! ;)

Almond Fudge Banana Cake

Serving Size : 16

4 medium extra-ripe DOLE® Bananas -- divided
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup margarine -- softened
3 eggs
3 tablespoons amaretto liqueur or 1 tsp almond extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup DOLE Chopped Almonds -- toasted and ground
1 (1 oz) square semi-sweet chocolate -- melted

Quarter bananas and place in blender or food processor. Blend until smooth (2 cups).

Beat sugar and margarine in large bowl, until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and liqueur. Stir together flour, cocoa powder, soda, salt and almonds in medium bowl.

Stir flour mixture into sugar mixture alternately with 1-1/2 cups blended bananas, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour batter into greased 10-inch bundt pan.

Bake at 350F, 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and cake pulls away from sides of pan. Cool 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan to wire rack to cool completely.

Mix, in a small bowl, the remaining blended bananas with melted chocolate, stirring until completely blended. Drizzle glaze over top and down sides of cake.

Randi
12-25-2002, 01:52 PM
Now that New Year is coming up, have any of you got a delicious fish recipe? - No, NOT clams, please! :D

kohala
12-25-2002, 02:07 PM
Is a fish dish a New Year's tradition of some sort in Denmark? I know my oldest cousin used to make Norweigan recipes, one was called lutkefisk (sp?) - maybe someone has a recipe. I have always wanted to try to make couliabac (sp again?) which is a salmon dish formed into a fish shape and baked in a crust (or variations thereon). Dadcat had it in Las Vegas when he lived there, a friend who was a chef made it at his home one year - he said it was delicious.

We used to do the traditional black-eyed peas (for luck), collard greens (for wealth), and candied yams (for taste
;) ) along with the main meat dish - roast pork or baked chicken for New Year's. The way I had heard it told was that if the first thing you taste New Year's Day was the black-eyed peas, you'd have luck for the year. So we would do up a midnight New Years feast - would be fun for a party.

A Pilipino friend cooked what I think was one of the most delicious fish dishes I've ever had on the barbeque at work one time, so here's how he did it:

One whole fish (he used yellowtail tuna, so a fish of that sort would be best) about 3 pounds, cleaned inside, skin, fins and all left on
Open and fill with:
one thinly sliced tomato
one to two finely chopped green onions (scallions)
About 1/2 cup Asian black beans (these are canned, and are flavored with soy souce, I believe)
one to two cloves of garlic, thinly slicked

He layered this filling in the fish, closed it and wrapped it in foil, and baked it on the barbeque until done. I am sure it could be done in an oven on medium high heat, as you would for any fish.

It was delicious!!

12-25-2002, 02:20 PM
Hi , i just managed to read all these yumie things here ...! Oh my , I defenitely need a goodie now ..... :D I am not a very good cook ; so I MUST try out some things I saw here ..
Like the Indian things !
My daughter (who IS Indian btw) Loves Indian and spicy food . My problem is : I cannot find the ingredients here ... ! Wolflady gave the recipe of Tandoori Chicken , but I cannot make it ... No paste here in the shops , no Indian shops either :( ... OH help , I wish I were a fly ; I would fly to Londodn ; lots of good Indian restaurants there !!! Here , we have lots of Chinese , some Vietnamese and Greek restaurants , but no Indian .... !!
By the way , I also love Indonesian food !!

Anybody interested in "Belgian Endives Soup" ?? Looks quite festive , and tastes yummie !!! Let me know , and I will try to translate it !!

kohala
12-25-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by lut

Anybody interested in "Belgian Endives Soup" ?? Looks quite festive , and tastes yummie !!! Let me know , and I will try to translate it !!

I am! I see them in the market from time to time and would love some new ways to prepare them - I've just been putting them in salads!

Kfamr
12-25-2002, 03:17 PM
CHEZZY POTATO CASSREOLE

2 lbs. frozen hashed browns
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 tsp. pepper
1tsp. salt
1/2 cup diced onion
a can cream of chicken soup
1 pt. sour cream
2 cups grated cheese
1/4 cup margerine, melted
2 cups crushed corn flakes

Thaw potatoes before mixing. Saute onion in 1/2 cup butter.
Combine all ingredients (except margerinr & corn flakes) in 9x 13 buttered
casserole dish. Combine margerine & corn flakes & sprinkle over top.
Bake, uncovered in 350 degrees oven for 45- 60 miniutes

Kohala look onions.
sandy frost

My mom made this today! Except she has a different recipe, no cornflakes, and cream of musroom instead of chicken. It tastes awesome!!! It's my favorite... She uses the simply potatoes thingys in the refrigerated isle.

krazyaboutkatz
12-26-2002, 12:40 AM
Here are a couple of recipes that my Mom makes for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas.

Cranberry-Orange Relish (no cooking)
Put through food processor a 12oz. package of fresh or frozen cranberries and 1 medium orange (quartered and seeds removed) until evenly chopped
Add: 3/4 - 1 cup of sugar
Stir in sugar to desired sweetness. Mix well and refrigerate several hours before serving. May be frozen. Yields approximately 2 1/2 cups. Note: use the whole orange, rind and all.

Cranberry Nut Bread
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 cup orange juice
2 tbsp. shortening
1 well-beaten egg
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup chopped nuts- you can use any kind you want
1 tbsp. grated orange peel
Preheat oven to 350*. In a bowl mix together dry ingredients. Stir in orange juice, orange peel, shortening, and egg. Mix until well-blended. Stir in cranberries and nuts. Turn into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan. Bake for 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a rack 15 minutes; remove from pan. Yields one loaf.

Turkey Pastry Puff
cut leftover turkey into medium sized pieces
layer pan with turkey pieces
spread 1 can of water chesnuts (sliced) over turkey pieces
spread 1 package of frozen green peas
spread 8-12oz. package of mozzarella cheese
put leftover turkey gravy over top
top with puff pastry
bake at 400* for 30 - 35 minutes
Note: keep puff pastry frozen until 30 minutes before use; use only 1 sheet of puff pastry to top casserole; you can also use any kind of meat or filling that you want.

Miss Meow
12-26-2002, 04:33 AM
I bought some souffle dishes at the stocktake sales today - does anybody have a favourite souffle recipe?

Randi, do you like fish pie? I have a great fish pie recipe if you are interested. Great for winter.

12-26-2002, 05:59 AM
here it comes !!

Ingredients : 1 kg endives
2,5 liter stock
100 g smoked bacon (ask thick sliced)
1/4 liter milk
2 onions
50 g margarine (or butter !)
50 g flour
Pepper , salt , and nutmeg

Preparation : - Cut endives into small pieces
- cut bacon into pieces and fry in the margarine
until crispy
- take out bacon and fry in same margarine : onions
& endives , untill done
- add bacon again , cover with the flour , then stirr it
all together;
- add stock while stirring ; let this cook untill the
veggies are done
- add milk & spices

gini
12-26-2002, 12:39 PM
CHEZZY POTATO CASSREOLE

sandy frost

I made your recipe for a Christmas party and I just couldn't believe the raves I received over a potato casserole!

I sauteed the onions until they were really brown which added a good onion flavor and I also sauteed the corn flakes in the butter for the final step.

Thanks for the recipe - but of course, I took all of the credit:D :D

Randi
12-26-2002, 12:52 PM
Kohala, yes cod is a traditionel for New Years Eve here. The whole cod is simmering gently in salted water until done. It's served with a strong mustard sauce. I didn't like it as a child but now I do. :) - But we'll probably have something different though.

Miss Meow, I'd very much like to try that fish pie, so do post it, please. :)

I'll post this link again, if anyone need ideas.

Sainsbury's recipees (http://recipes.sainsburys.co.uk/)

..... and

All recipees - this is a quite good one, with ratings! (http://allrecipes.com/directory/default.asp)

Ps. If you try any of these recipees and it's yummy, please tell us! :D

SANDY FROST
12-26-2002, 02:01 PM
good gini becaude I havn't tried it. Take all the credit cool. I got the recipe from someone else.
:) HAPPY NEW YEAR,
Sandy Frost

Randi
12-27-2002, 09:02 AM
I'd like to try and make Vanilla Fudge and found this recipe - only, I don't know whether I can get corn syrup. Can I leave it out or use another syrup? Also, light cream, what's that? I'd use the cream you can whip. :confused:

Here's the recipe

Vanilla Fudge

2 Tablespoons butter
3 cups sugar
1/4 cup corn syrup, red or blue label
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup light cream
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup coarsely chopped nuts

Place all ingredients except vanilla and nuts in saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, to 238 degrees F or until small amount forms a soft ball in cold water. Remove from heat. Add vanilla. Cool to lukewarm, 110 degrees F. Beat until fudge begins to thicken and loses its gloss. Add nuts. Quickly spread mixture into buttered 8-inch square pan. Cut into squares.

gini
12-27-2002, 10:19 AM
Randi, I will jump in and try to answer you. I don't recommend leaving out the corn syrup - it is one ingredient that will make your candy smooth.

Somewhere----in this thread is a name for a brand from Europe that is essentially the same thing. You could email Lynne and she could tell you. It may have been Lynne that asked the question. It is a syrup made from corn, just like our Karo brand corn syrups from the States.

Light cream would be the kind you use in your coffee - but not milk. The heavier cream is for whipping. But you could probably use that too if you can't get light cream.

Maybe someone else here will see this and tell you.

P.S. Rascal is still drooling all over your Christmas card.....:D :D

Randi
12-27-2002, 11:08 AM
Rascal is still drooling all over your Christmas card.....:D :D

LOL! I can just picture it! :D

Thanks a lot Gini, I can probably get that syrup, it's just I never use syrup, but honey. I know which cream you mean. Since there's milk in the recipe, I'll try a bit of the heavier cream, but a little less. ;)

Btw, a cup of something, does that mean a mug or a normal cup?

gini
12-27-2002, 11:40 AM
Randi, my all time favorite cookbook - Joy of Cooking - says that our American "cup" = 1/4 of a liter - so it is more of a coffee cup size than a mug.

I tried to research a substitute for the syrup but I didn't come up with anything.

When I first showed Rascal your card I didn't think he had any reaction because I put it on the floor. But when I picked up the card it was soaking wet - he literally drooled all over it!

kohala
12-27-2002, 07:21 PM
Randi, my all time favorite cookbook - Joy of Cooking - says that our American "cup" = 1/4 of a liter - so it is more of a coffee cup size than a mug.

I tried to research a substitute for the syrup but I didn't come up with anything.

When I first showed Rascal your card I didn't think he had any reaction because I put it on the floor. But when I picked up the card it was soaking wet - he literally drooled all over it!

That is the greatest book - my Dad turned me on to it, he was the "chef" in our family! He also had a degree in chemistry, and from him and that book I learned a lot about how and why ingredients work together the way they do! So glad to see another "Joy" fan! BTW - I think it was the "original" of the "Joy of..." book trend!

Miss Meow
12-29-2002, 05:34 PM
This recipe is taken from Jamie Oliver's 'The Return of the Naked Chef.' We've made this a few times and my suggested changes are in brackets. This is a great winter dish, very tasty and filling and dead easy to make :-)

Fish Pie (serves 6)

5 large potatoes, peeled and diced into 2.5cm/1 inch cubes
salt and freshly ground black pepper
(small amount of milk or skim milk)
(knob of butter)
2 free-range eggs (I suggest 3 or 4)
2 handfuls fresh spinach (you can use frozen if it's out of season, just make sure it's thawed and excess water is squeezed out)
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, halved and finely chopped
olive oil
approx 285ml/0.5 pint double cream (known as thickened cream in some parts, you can use a bit more if you like)
2 good handfuls grated mature Cheddar or Parmesan cheese (I like about 2/3 Cheddar and 1/3 Parmesan)
juice of 1 lemon
1 heaped teaspoon English mustard (or to taste, I usually drop in a bit more once I've tasted the sauce)
1 small handful parsley, finely chopped
455g/1lb white fish fillet, skin removed, deboned and sliced into strips or chunks (I usually use about 700g, I find the smaller amount to be not quite enough. Ask your fishmonger for a firm fish that won't fall apart during cooking)
nutmeg (optional)

Preheat oven to 220 degrees C/425F. Put the potatoes into salted boiling water and bring back to the boil for two minutes. Carefully add the eggs to the same saucepan and cook for a further 7 minutes. At this time, steam the spinach in a colander over this saucepan. This will only take a minute. When the spinach is done, remove from the colander and squeeze any excess moisture away. Then drain the potatoes in the colander. Remove the eggs, cool under cold water, then peel and quarter then. Place all to one side. (If this sounds too hard to do with the one pan, you can use three pans but it's a lot more washing up!)

In a large pan, slowly fry the onion and carrot in a little olive oil for about 5 minutes, then add the double cream and bring just to the boil. Remove from the heat and add the cheese, lemon juice, mustard and parsley. Combine and adjust taste to suit. Add the spinach, fish and eggs and gently combine. Pour into a large baking dish.

Mash the potatoes with a little butter, milk, salt and pepper and nutmeg if desired. Spread on top of the fish mix. Don't bother piping it to make it pretty - it's a homely hearty thing. Place in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the potatoes are golden and it is heated through.

Serve by itself or with some greens and fresh crusty bread. (Also nice with a glass of white wine or a beer.)

shais_mom
01-08-2003, 12:37 AM
I fixed the cheesy potatoes for New Years but I used a shallot instead of an onion b/c onions don't agree with my family sometimes and used a can of cheddar cheese soup in addition to the cream of chicken. It made them 'soupier' which I like. They went together so easily! They were all gone so they really were a hit!!
I didn't bring any home!

wolflady
01-08-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by lut
...My problem is : I cannot find the ingredients here ... ! Wolflady gave the recipe of Tandoori Chicken , but I cannot make it ... No paste here in the shops , no Indian shops either :( ... OH help , I wish I were a fly ; I would fly to Londodn ; lots of good Indian restaurants there !!! Here , we have lots of Chinese , some Vietnamese and Greek restaurants , but no Indian .... !!
By the way , I also love Indonesian food !!...

Lut, are there any asian or chinese grocery stores anywhere near you? I'm sure some of the chinese spices would be simililar to some of the Indian ingredients. I'll see if I can find some recipes that use ingredients that you can get from your local grocer if you would like. Indian food is one of my faves! :D
All of these recipes look good people! I'll have to print them out. Those cheesy potatoes sound fabulous!! Happy New Year everyone! :D

Randi
01-08-2003, 12:20 PM
Miss Meow! I tried the Fish Pie - it was delicious! :p Thanks a lot for posting it! I can definately recommend it folks! ;)

I'll try the CHEESY POTATO CASSEROLE next! :)

I never got around to make Vanilla Fudge, I made some chocolade truffles and the next day, I got a huge box of Belgian chocolade truffles from a friend. - But they'll go down well! :D

Twisterdog
01-08-2003, 09:13 PM
This is the easiest recipe ever. If you have to take a dish to a pot-luck dinner, or are having a dinner party, I guarantee this will be everyone's favorite. I made this a couple times, and everyone was asking me for the recipe, and everyone always asks me to make it again. It's one of those recipes that you can pretend you slaved over for hours ... when actually it takes about 5 minutes to make!!!

Sweet and Sour Meatballs

Thaw one large package of pre-cooked Swedish meatballs

Mix in a large skillet:

1 cup of grape jelly
1 cup of red chili sauce
1/2 cup of dijon mustard

Heat until jelly melts. Add meatballs, heat covered until meatballs are hot.

Serve!

(I know, I know ... jelly, chili sauce and mustard together?!?! Sounds disgusting!! But it is GREAT!!!!)

Randi
01-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Smoked salmon on lightly toasted bread.

Put a slice of good smoked salmon on lightly toasted bread with butter.

Stir together some cottage cheese, half a small red onion chopped finely, a few spoonfulls of caviar (or substitute), salt, pepper and cut dill.

This can be used as an appetizer and is delicious! :)

Miss Meow
01-09-2003, 03:36 PM
Randi, glad you liked the fish pie. I can't wait for winter so we can make it again!

Your smoked salmon sounds lovely. We do something similar but use mashed avocado instead of butter. It gives a great taste :) Dill is one of my favourite herbs, but Jasmine likes sitting on our dill plants, maybe they make her bottom smell nice :rolleyes:

Miss Meow
02-16-2003, 06:36 PM
:) bump:)

AmberLee, I think soup is on the first page.

RICHARD
02-17-2003, 02:23 PM
lemon basil shrimp.

( since I am a guy I am invoking the ‘this-looks-good-enough’
system of measures and weights……adjust to taste.)
3 cups cold cooked rice
I lb medium raw peeled shrimp-orig recipe calls for frozen, I like fresh and peel them myself
48 oz chicken stock
¼ cup lemon juice
1 table spoon lemon zest
red chili flakes
¼ cup fresh basil.

heat stock, juice, zest and chili flakes until almost boiling, toss in shrimp, cook until pink
(again, adjust to taste……I like spicy-it’s a great soup when you are sick-add more chili flakes!)

put rice in a bowl and a ladleful of soup over it……garnish with basil-

a good piece of french bread is great with this dish..

this tastes better the next day…..store rice and liquid separately for leftovers otherwise the
liquid is absorbed by the rice!

Miss Meow
03-04-2003, 02:44 PM
*bump*

This space reserved for Soledad's banana bread and Indian goodies :) ;) :)

Soledad
03-04-2003, 02:52 PM
Uh-oh!!

Okay, I'll give you the palak paneer recipe because the banana bread one is still at home!! Oh, I added mustard seeds to this one....

Yield: 4 servings
15 oz Pack of ricotta cheese
10 oz Spinach, frozen chopped
1/4 lg Onion; finely chopped
1/4 c cream
Ginger, fresh, 1"; finely
-grated
1 Garlic clove
1 ts Cumin powder
1/2 ts Coriander powder
1/2 ts Turmeric powder
2 Chillies; finely chopped
1/8 c Oil
Salt; to taste
Empty the ricotta cheese into an oven-proof dish and bake at 350F for
40 minutes. Cut it into 1/2 inch square pieces.
Defrost the spinach. Put it into the blender for a couple of minutes.
Heat the oil in a pan. Fry onion, garlic, ginger, chilli - the onion
should turn golden.
Add the cumin, coriander and turmeric powder. Add the cream to
the pan, followed by the spinach. Stir till every item gets properly
mixed.
Now add the pieces of baked ricotta cheese. Add 1/2 cup of water. Add
salt. Cover and cook over slow heat for 15 minutes.
Serve with rice or naan (bread available at Indian stores) or pita
bread.
For the variation using tofu, I usually used firm tofu, dry it by
placing it on a paper towel and then baking it at 200 F for about
half an hour. I also do not use the cream. It works pretty well.

tatsxxx11
03-04-2003, 03:08 PM
My recipe folder is going to crash my computer!:D Thanks everyone! Can't wait to try them; so many great cooks! Soldedad, thanks so much for the palak paneer recipe...Cape Cod is a culinary wasteland when it comes to ethnic cooking:( I'm going to try it tomorrow! And we're still holding you to the banana bread! Have to have my husband write down some of his great Japanese recipes. He's a terrific cook!

Karen
03-04-2003, 03:47 PM
I have Uncle Mac's bana bread recipe I can post once I'm home ... it's the best! He was my Great Uncle, and was a truck mechanic who, in his third or fourth retirement, went to work fixing truck for a dairy farm/ice cream stand. They'd give him all the leftover bananas once they were too ripe to use for banana splits, so he always had some great banana bread around! (At least when we kids were gonna visit!)

Dakota's Mommy
03-04-2003, 03:52 PM
Here's one of my favorite dips that a friend from work brings in for our get togethers:

Seven Layer Dip

Guacamole
Refried Beans
Tomatoes
Cheese
Sour Cream
Olives (optional)

In a pan, whatever size you want it to be, just start layering the above ingredients. I usually start with beans, then guacamole, then sour cream, then cheese and then tomatoes. Depending on how much of each ingredient you have, you can make as many layers as you would like. After you have finished layering, on the very top, you would garnish the dip with the olives.

Guacamole

2-3 avocadoes
1-2 lemons
garlic salt / powder
pepper
regular salt (optional)
? jalapenos

Cut avocadoes in half, removing the seed. Spoon out green stuff and mash until it is as creamy as you would like it to be. Finely dice jalapenos, removing any seeds. Add lemon juice, removing seeds. Add garlic salt / powder, pepper, and salt to taste.

Dakota's Mommy
03-04-2003, 03:54 PM
Somebody brought this in for us for lunch one day too! It was pretty good!

Taco Soup

2 lbs. ground beef
*1 – 14 oz. can corn or hominy
1 sm. onion, chopped
*1 – 15 oz. can pinto beans
1 pkg. ranch dressing (1 oz.)
*1 – 15 oz. can kidney beans
1 pkg. taco seasoning (1 ½ oz.)
1 ½ c. water
3 – 14 oz. cans stewed tomatoes

Brown ground beef with onions in large soup pot, drain. Add remaining ingredients and simmer.

Break up tortilla chips and add with grated cheese to top of soup when served. (mozzarella cheese is yummy!)

* Do Not Drain.

Miss Meow
03-04-2003, 04:29 PM
Thanks Soledad and Dakota's mummy - I can't decide which one to try this weekend!

Sandra, look forward to your husband's recipes. I just love Japanese food too :)

tatsxxx11
03-04-2003, 05:18 PM
Gini, Randi, the syrup is called "Lyle's Golden"... you must have it by you, Randi. I grew up with it (Scandinavian parents) and it is just like corn syrup. It's available in a lot of specialty deli's and gourmet stores in the U.S.

And Randi... you mentioned Cod for the holidays. Do the Danes, like the Norweigans, partake of the much maligned, dreaded Lute Fisk??? For those uniformed amongst you, it's a traditional Norweigan Christmas dish. Cooked Cod that has been soaked FOREVER in lye before cooking!:eek: It is an aquired taste, but actually, isn't bad...a little slimy but doesn't taste a bit like Drano!:D (Randi, Drano is a brand of lye based drain cleaner!!:D:D)

slick
03-04-2003, 05:45 PM
I've made this Bailey's every year at Christmas for about 10 years to give away as presents. Some are starting to place orders in November...:eek: Taste great in morning coffee.....:D

1 mickey Rye
1 large (1 litre) whipping cream
1 small (1 pint) 1/2 & 1/2 or creamo
2 eggs
4 tblsp. chocolate syrup
1 1/2 tsp. coconut extract
2 tblsp. instant coffee
1 can Borden's sweetened condensed milk

Put all ingredients in a large bowl and whip until nice and foamy. Bottle and refrigerate. That's it folks! It can be doubled or tripled depending on how much you want to bottle.

This recipe makes 3 x 26 oz bottles and costs about $3.50/bottle. Cheaper than the liquor store. Only problem is that because it's made with all fresh dairy, it only lasts about 3 weeks in the fridge....

tatsxxx11
03-04-2003, 05:52 PM
Do I have to wait till Christmas???:D

And can you use any kind of Rye? Not familiar with Mickey's.:confused:

Freckles
03-04-2003, 05:58 PM
Sandra and I have discussed Sandinavian foods before, but I recently found this picture to share.

slick
03-04-2003, 06:00 PM
Sorry, I think in the U.S. is called a "fifth"???? (375 ml bottle) Up here we call it a mickey. And yes, any kind of cheap Rye will do. I imagine Burbon (sp??) would give it a totally different taste.

I don't drink it myself because it's too rich and sweet and it's definitely not for dieters. Enjoy!

kohala
03-04-2003, 06:28 PM
Any traditional dishes you could post would be most appreciated! My favorite cousin on my Norweigan Dad's side (a Lutheran Minister's wife, of course) passed away very unexpectedly (only 75 - breast cancer) before we ever got a chance to "share" this type of thing. :(
She did show me the family traditional dress (I forget what they're called, it started with a B I believe) and a silver medalion from the area in Norway my family hailed from - sad to say I've forgotten what she called the medalion. She wanted us to get together in the future and we were going to make traditional dresses - that never happened either. Time is too short.
So any recipes, lute fisk, there were these delicious meatballs she made, would be appreciated!
Oof Da!

gini
03-04-2003, 08:06 PM
Good grief, I just shut down my work computer and came into the house and checked out my email. Ahhh, recipe threads! Oh Boy!

Now thanks a lot you guys, I am starving and here are all of these wonderful recipes and a drink too!! Arrrggghhh!

How about a Pet Talk Cook-Off???....or a Pet Talk Cook BOOK!
Proceeds could go to animal no-kill shelters around the world.

Sandra, thanks, I knew there was a product similar to our Karo Syrup, but I didn't know the name!

SANDY FROST
03-04-2003, 11:34 PM
6 ounces spaghetti
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 well beaten eggs
1 cup cottage cheese(8 ounces)
1 pound ground beef or bulk pork sausage
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 8-ounce can (1 cup) tomatoes,cut up
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon dried oregano,crushed
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (2 ounces)
Cook the spaghetti to package directions; drain
(should have 3 cups spaghetti). Stir butter or margarine into hot spaghetti. AStir in pqarmesan cheese & eggs. From spaghetti mixture into a "crust" in a buttered 10-inch pie plate. Spread cottage cheese over bottom of spaghetti crust.

In shillet cook ground beef or pork Sausage,onion,&green pepper till vegetables are tender & meat is browned. Drain off excess fat. Stir in undrained tomatoes,tomato paste,sugar,oregano&garlic salt;heat through.

Turn meat mixture into spaghetti crust. Bake, uncovered, in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Sprinkle the mozzsarella cheese atop. Bake 5 minutes longer or till cheese melts. Makes 6 servings.

My aunt gave me this recipe and it is good.
Enjoy.
Sandy FDrost

'

Vio&Juni
03-05-2003, 06:53 AM
Try this! It's a national Moldovan meal and it's very healthy.
Moldovan Fish soup
Ingredients:
Fresh lake or river fish (I prefer carp, but trout is also good) – 1 kg or a little more.
Carrot – 2 (medium)
Parsley roots – 4 (medium)
Greens – Lovage (very important – gives the particular taste) – about 8 leaves, Parsley leaves – as much as you like, any other you like. I add only these plus maybe in the spring some Red Orache.
Eggs – 2 (big)
Rice - 2 spoons (optional)
Salt, pepper, and red hot chilli pepper (try to make it not too hot)
We use a special sour liquid to make the soup sour – it’s a fermented liquid made out of bran and cherry leaves and young cherry branches. New, we can find it here in the supermarkets. I am almost sure, you don’t have this, so, use lemon salt, lemon, or whatever you use to sour the soup.

Process:
Cut the carrot and the parsley root in small cubes and boil it in water with salt. When they are almost soft, add the fish. You can cut it or not, but it’s preferable to add the heads too, they give a richer taste. Check if the gills are cleaned. Add the rice if you choose. Add 4 Lovage leaves now. Let it boil until the fish is ready. Add the other 4 Lovage leaves, the Parsley leaves, the pepper and the red hot chilli pepper. Sour the soup. Boil it more after you sour.
Separately, beat the eggs. Add some soup in the eggs and beat them more, repeat. When the soup is ready, pour this in the soup. The soup should be full of eggs flakes. Don’t boil it anymore.
The soup is very simple. It’s especially good for women because the fat acids contained in the fish, intact when fish is boiled only (not too long) fight the breast cancer agents.

Vio&Juni
03-05-2003, 07:21 AM
Marinated fish under “fur coat” :)

Ingredients:
Marinated Herring fillet or whatever marinated fish you like – 1/2 kg
Red Beet – 2 (medium)
Carrot – 4-6 (medium)
Potatoes – 6-8 (medium)
Eggs – 2 (big)
Mayonnaise
Onion or green onion (optional) – not too much.

Process:

Boil the vegetables and the eggs WITHOUT SALT. The red beet and the carrot should be soft! Eggs should be hard-boiled. When ready, put everything in cold water. Peel the vegetables and grate every vegetable separately on a plate.
Cut the fillet in small cubes. Put it on a large plate in one level only. Add the onion cut in cubes, if you choose with onion. Add in levels the potatoes, then the carrot, then the red beet and cover with mayonnaise. The mayonnaise should color in red (this means the red beet is really good). Grate the eggs on top. Some people use the white only. Juni is crazy over yolk, and she gets it :)
It's very good after some hours, not bad at all immediately.
Suggestion – try to use very sweet kinds of carrot and red beet. It gives a special taste.

It is healthy, due to red beet and carrot. These two products provide the necessary intake of iron (esp. for vegetarians).

Russian Blue
03-05-2003, 10:43 AM
I just found this recipe thread now!! Yeah, I know I'm slow! But I don't get to the Generalforum on a regular basis.

I love recipe threads. I'll have to pull some recipes to share.

;)

RICHARD
03-05-2003, 11:27 AM
Karen,
can you pull this thread?

i have gained 10 lbs just reading it.

thank you.;)

SANDY FROST
03-05-2003, 11:31 AM
No way don't pull this thead.
I love this one.:)
Sandy Frost

gini
03-05-2003, 11:33 AM
Sorry Richard, you have to go to Weight Watchers with the rest of us!!

Vio&Juni
03-05-2003, 11:36 AM
Another fish dish - a very tasty one - you can find in the best restaurants of Chisinau

Ghivechi with fish

Choose a fatter fish for this meal - I have never had tuna - I don't eat frozen fish, and the ocean fish here is available only frozen. Or smoked. People say it's good and I believe it. You may try tuna.
So:
Fish - 1.5 kg
Onions - 2-3 (medium)
Carrots - 2-3 (big)
Eggplants - 2 (medium)
Sweet peppers (red, yellow, green) - 6-8 (big) or 10 (medium)
Tomatoes - 1-1.5 kg
Garlick - decide for yourself
Oil (not butter, not margarine. We use sunflower oil, it's also good with olive oil.) - 0.5 cup

Ghivechi with fish is good with Mamaliga -the Romanian name of Polenta.
You need for it:
Water,
Corn flour
Salt and a teaspoon of butter (not margarine).

Process:

Cut the fish and the vegetables in cubes (not VERY small, but also smaller than medium), carrot in very thin slices. Broil the fish in some oil until it' almost ready. Broil separately the eggplant in hot oil until it forms a crust. Take it out, so it doesn' absorb too much oil. Cook the onions and carrot in oil a little, add the peppers and the roasted eggplant, two minutes later the tomatoes. Do all this on high temperature. Add the garlick, and the fish and salt and cook until it' ready.

Mamaliga:

Boil the water, add salt and when it makes bubles add very carefully the corn flower and stir thoroughly. Try to avoid clumps. Make it as dough. Leave it for 20 - 25 minutes to get well cooked. Stir from time to time and almost at the end add the butter. If you take it with a wet cold ladle, you can form beautiful spheres.

Serve it hot. Grate some Fetta cheese and add cream on the mamaliga if you like.

Cataholic
03-05-2003, 11:49 AM
Vio-
Please know that I adore you, BUT, I bet you have stinky breath!!! LOL!!!:D :eek: :p

Fishies? Beets? No wonder why Juni LOVES you so much!!!!!!!

Vio&Juni
03-05-2003, 12:06 PM
Johanna :D :D :D :D
I chew Orbit Winterfresh after I eat, if I don't have access to my toothbrush :p Juni likes to smell my breath though, even after garlick ;)
Meatballs, also with garlick, are her favorites. She never lets me finish making them if I don't give her some. She also likes the grape leaves, or marinated cabbage leaves stuffed with rice, vegetables and small pieces with meat. This is what we'll have for dinner in some minutes. With cream... yummy...
If you're interested, I'll give you that recipe too. In fact, I am too lazy to make them, my brother does or my sister. They are bothe professionals.

RICHARD
03-05-2003, 01:13 PM
Sorry Richard, you have to go to Weight Watchers with the rest of us!!

i already weight watch......i watch it take over the extra space in my clothes!!!!!!

lynnestankard
03-05-2003, 01:24 PM
Eeeeerr..........Did someone say Banana Bread? Or Banana Cake?
I adore banana bread - or cake!!!

Lynne

Karen
03-05-2003, 02:09 PM
I'll remeber to post Uncle Mac's banana bread recipe tonight. It calls for 4 really ripe bananas, so you can start saving them now! :)

Miss Meow
03-05-2003, 03:55 PM
Vio, yum yum yum, who cares what you smell like after those meals! We don't have a lot of those ingredients but I can start checking some heritage seed and herb nurseries for lovage etc. Or book the next plane to Chisinau :)

SANDY FROST
03-05-2003, 04:09 PM
Check ou spaghetti pie.
its good.Sandy Frost:D

Karen
03-05-2003, 06:30 PM
Here it is:

Uncle Mac's Banana Bread
(his name was Ovide McCarthy, he was a friend to animals, fixers of engines and all things mechanical, and beloved of children!)

Cream
1/2 cup shortening (butter)
with 1 cup sugar

add
4 ripe bananas
1 egg

sift together
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
add to first mixture

add walnuts (enough) if you want

bake 1 hour at 350 degrees in a loaf pan, test the middle like a cake (poke a toothpick down the middle, when the toothpick comes out clean, it's done!) (The actual time depends on how wet the bananas were.)

For best results - share!

Soledad
03-06-2003, 01:16 AM
Karen, I'm going to challenge you to a banana bread duel.

Here's mine:

1/2C vegetable oil
2 eggs, beaten
3 very ripe bananas
2C flour
1tsp baking soda
1/2tsp baking powder
1/2tsp salt
3Tbl milk
1/2tsp vanilla
1C sugar

Beat oil and sugar. Add eggs and banana mash. Add dry ingredients, milk, vanilla. Grease and flour pan, bake at 350 for an hour.

Vio&Juni
03-06-2003, 02:01 AM
Vio, yum yum yum, who cares what you smell like after those meals! We don't have a lot of those ingredients but I can start checking some heritage seed and herb nurseries for lovage etc. Or book the next plane to Chisinau :)
Nicole, what exactly you don't have except lovage, maybe I can suggest a substitute. Anyway, you can skip lovage in that soup or add some other strong flavored herb. Some people use savory or basil (I have a strong allergy from basil). I hope you have parsley :)

lynnestankard
03-06-2003, 05:01 AM
Karen and Soledad - YUM!! Many thanks both of you - I'm going to be baking this week-end!!! Off now to buy BANANAS!!!

:D :eek: :D

Lynne

Barbara
03-06-2003, 12:22 PM
In an hour we will know more. We will know then whether the website I found to change cups in grams (how do you fill butter in a cup?) and Fahrenheit to Celsius did ok.
I left earlier at the office because I felt I must bake banana bread right now. I checked every supermarket on my way home (ca. 20 miles) for ripe bananas and now it's in the oven.
I started with Karen's recipe because I did feel better about the butter than about the oil.
I changed very little (it will be difficult to sell me a recipe so that I change absolutely nothing:rolleyes: ). I added a little lime juice to the bananas. Maybe next time I'll skip the walnuts, add lime juice and rhum and call it Jamaican Banana Bread.

Karen you skipped 2 important informations (maybe because you have a bunny:
You must first wipe the cat hair out of your big baking bowl.
Then you must wipe the cat hair out of the baking pan (it stands in a closed drawer under the oven where the cats NEVER get in but it seem to be impossible here to take something from the dishwasher without finding a reminiscence to TigriFiluzi there.

Tanya&Fritz
03-06-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Barbara
I added a little lime juice to the bananas. Maybe next time I'll skip the walnuts, add lime juice and rhum and call it Jamaican Banana Bread.

Barbara, you are too funny :D Jamaican Banana Bread??? I think I'll try that too :D :D :D

Edwina's Secretary
03-06-2003, 01:06 PM
how do you fill butter in a cup?)

Normally I take great pride in my culinary ineptness but...I know the answer to this question!!! (I am so excited!)

My mother would make pie crust from scratch and my only kitchen chores was to help with this.

Let's say it required 1/3 cup of shortening or butter. I would fill the cup up to 2/3 with water and then spoon in the shortening or butter. It would displace its weight. Pour the water out and voila ---1/3 cup of shortening!

(Of course an alternative is to look at the measurements marked on the stick margarine wrapper!)

Barbara
03-06-2003, 01:07 PM
You cannot imagine how it smells here! SUUUUUper-YUMMY!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid54/p93984c2b0e423813fe9ef7d41de74f67/fc8b52c5.jpg
I hope you believe it if you see.
(I will have to wait for te final check at least another half hour:( )

BTW: Sara I always knew you're a genius!
But can you believe it: around here the sticks of butter are marked with grams:p

Karen
03-06-2003, 01:13 PM
How fun! I can imagine the smell of your kitchen from here! As for your note, the bunny fur tends to stay on the rug, it doesn't get into the baking bowls/pans, which are high up on shelves anyway! :)

kohala
03-06-2003, 01:28 PM

Then you must wipe the cat hair out of the baking pan (it stands in a closed drawer under the oven where the cats NEVER get in but it seem to be impossible here to take something from the dishwasher without finding a reminiscence to TigriFiluzi there.

LOL Barbara!! But, Barbara, isn't cat fur a condiment in your home? Another well known ingredient? I hate to say how many time Dad has given me a disgusted look as he removed a 2 inch long black hair from his mouth!! And he won't buy it when I try to tell him it's his!! Doesn't happen often, neatniks, but it does happen!:D

BTW - that looks gorgeous!!!
And, a banana saving trick : I buy them a lot, and when they strat to turn, I freeze them - just pop the whole banana into the freezer. Take them out and thaw (they'll be very soft - which is fine for your purposes) for cooking or blender drinks - milkshakes, mostly, with strawberries & vanilla ice cream.

Barbara
03-06-2003, 01:29 PM
It tastes as yummy as it smells. And not only we love it...
Nicole: Filou said, Tabasco has told him Banana Bread is VERY GOOD for cats:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid54/p6e8e22bf4d7ebf71298970c867722602/fc8b4d1c.jpg

Edwina's Secretary
03-06-2003, 01:42 PM
I love banana bread (and have been known to bake it....sssshhhhhh) but no one else in my house likes it so I have to eat the whole thing!

I can smell your bread from here! Have you tried the other recipe yet?

Logan
03-06-2003, 01:51 PM

Had to chuckle at that one, Barbara, as when I went to clean out for my move, I found Golden Retriever and cat hair an inch thick in the drawer under my stove. :eek: YUCK!!!

kohala
03-06-2003, 02:17 PM

Had to chuckle at that one, Barbara, as when I went to clean out for my move, I found Golden Retriever and cat hair an inch thick in the drawer under my stove. :eek: YUCK!!!

ROFLMAO at that one!! Oh, no - maybe I'd better check my stove drawer. Ack!

sammi
03-06-2003, 02:27 PM
This a very very bad thread!!!!!!!! Everytime I read a new post I get just starved! I just warmed up a huge piece of Peach pie in the microwave that was given to me and I had it in the freezer!!!
Warm pie with ice cream!;)

This is a good time to ask if you have "pot lucks" where you live? Or do you ever go to restaurants and have buffet meals? I like this sometimes but - I rather leary about eating peoples food I don't know at pot lucks. Silly I know.

Tanya&Fritz
03-06-2003, 02:31 PM
I love pot lucks! I'll eat anything made by anyone :D

kohala
03-06-2003, 03:23 PM
I work for the Navy - potluck heaven! Especially with all the delicious Filipino food - I've had many varieties of pancit - love it!

Miss Meow
03-06-2003, 05:40 PM
Barbara, your banana bread looks divine! I hope Filou allowed you to eat some :D

Freckles
03-06-2003, 07:42 PM
A Potluck highlight.
A neighbor gave us this recipe years ago. I converted it for some relatives to a low fat version:

2 packs .3 oz SugarFree Lime Jello
2 cup hot water - cool until syrupy, then add
1 12oz can fat free evaporated skimmed milk, or equivalent.
1 cup Light Mayonnaise
1 - 16 ox tub lowfat Cottage Cheese w/2% milkfat
Fold in 2 cups pineapple minced or crushed Pineapple in unsweetened juice, drained well.
2 - ½ oz packs Walnut bits, or your choice. Almonds work well.
Refrigerate.

Soledad
03-06-2003, 07:46 PM
Freckles - I've never heard of that. But, just looking at the ingredients it looks quite yucky. What on earth does it taste like???:eek:

Freckles
03-06-2003, 08:03 PM
Many people make something similar to this recipe, but use Coolwhip or something sweet. Ruth's version isn't sweet Hmmm., kind of difficult to describe a "taste". :confused:

Soledad
03-06-2003, 08:10 PM
Maybe it's just because of the mayo and jello combo. That sounds very odd to me.

*LabLoverKEB*
03-06-2003, 10:08 PM
I don't know if this was already posted!

Amish Friendship Bread

1 cup sugar
1 cup oil
2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp backing powder
3 eggs
1 large box of instant vanilla pudding
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cups milk
2 cups flower
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup walnuts (optional)

Grease 2 lage loaf pans. Mix additional 1/2 cups of sugar and 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, sprinkle 1/2 of sugar mixture into pans. Pour batter into pans. Sprinkle remaining sugar mixture over the batter. Bake at 325 for 1 hour. Cool until bread loosens from the pan evenly.

http://www.armchair.com/recipe/bake002.html

Logan
03-06-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Soledad
Maybe it's just because of the mayo and jello combo. That sounds very odd to me.

Maybe it is a southern thing, but it is quite normal to put a dolip (I don't know if that is a real word) of mayonaise on top of congealed salad. I'm not a big congealed salad lover, but seems like my mother's generation is!

Joan, that recipe is very familiar to me. My grandmother used apricot jello though, instead of the lime. And I've had it with the lime, but with cool whip instead of mayonaise. I actually enjoyed it both ways, too! :)

Soledad
03-06-2003, 10:15 PM
But you're mixing sweet stuff with mayo? It sounds so wrong!!

kohala
03-07-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Soledad
But you're mixing sweet stuff with mayo? It sounds so wrong!!

Soledad - my grandmother used to make a salad dressing mixing mayonaisse with pineapple (crushed with the juice) - it was soooo deliciuos on her salads (which always had apple pieces and raisins in them.) The lime jello with cottage chees and pineapple is pretty well know, her variety is probably really good! Have you every had that kind of jello dessert?

BTW, Logan, there are lots of dishes called "aspic" that are gelatin based. Not always sweet, either! You mentioned a lot of Southern dishes made this way - will you share some recipes? :)

Karen
03-07-2003, 12:09 AM
Barbara, your banana bread looks divine! I hope Filou allowed you to eat some :D

Well, Uncle Mac, whose Banana Bread recipe this is, used to sit and eat dinner with his best cat on his shoulder. The cat would eat occasional bites right off of Mac's fork when Mac held it over for the cat, so I am sure he is grinning from heaven, watching a cat over in Germany sharing banana bread with HIS human. Filou, you did share, right?

(Yes, the spoiling-animals-quite-rotten gene comes to me from both sides of the family, Uncle Mac being my Dad's actual Uncle! :) )

Barbara
03-07-2003, 02:51 AM
I had checked with Filou in his radiator bed and this first photo shows his first try -after that I had to put the banana bread in a cupboard because he wanted to lick all over the surface. Of course he could get little bites from us just like Uncle Mac's cat but I prefer my food not being licked all over by Filou;) :p
This morning it was even better. Purrfectly cooked inside and still juicy and fresh.
Thanks Karen, thanks Uncle Mac
(I will spread my translated version of the recipe here among my colleagues -they were already interested when I left yesterday....).

kohala
03-07-2003, 03:05 AM
Here's to Uncle Mac and Ruth - I'm going to make the banana bread and jello dishes (that Karen and Freckles posted) this weekend as a treat when Dadcat gets home - I'll be thinking of you both when I do - and let you know how I made out! Barbara's looks sooooo good. Wish we could do online potlucks!

Vio&Juni
03-07-2003, 04:19 AM
Yes, Barbara, your banana bread looks very yummy.
We just had also a kind of banana/lemon bread the day before yesterday. I had to hide it, Juni likes it very much too. But she got her share.

Karen
03-07-2003, 03:57 PM
A Pet Talk potluck would be SOOOOO much fun! Moldovan and Belgian and Aussie and Yankee and Middle Eastern and so many different dishes! :)

What are folks traditional "spring" dishes? I keep seeing asparagus in the stores, but I cannot believe it will be any good yet, as there's still snow on the ground! Isn't that silly of me? In actual spring, when the asparagus was up, but the leaves weren't yet out on the raspberry bushes, we'd have asparagus on toast at dinner. That sorta meant it was REALLY spring!

No recipe needed for that, just boiling water with a little salt, fresh asparagus, and toast to put it on! :)

Cataholic
03-07-2003, 04:49 PM
Karen,
If you don't mind...I would like to suggest another way to enjoy asparagus....

glass dish....place the spears in the dish, lightly coat with sesame oil, add some 'crazy salt' and broil! Yummy, yummy, yummy. Little lemon juice would be fine, too.

Vio&Juni
03-08-2003, 06:27 AM
Nettle!!! (yep, stinging nettle)
It's the first green in the spring and it contains a lot of vitamin C and iron too. For those with spring depression (there's another scientific term for this :) ) helps very much.

Ingredients:
young nettle leaves - 1 kg of leaves or more
few potatoes
2-3 onions
2 eggs
some oil
pepper
salt
red hot chili pepper
(you can add meat to this, but it's very good as a vegetarian dish)

Process:
clean and wash thouroughly the nettle leaves, boil them well. Cut the boiled leaves very small (I cut them in the blender). Don't throw the water away, keep it.
Cook the onion in the oil, add the leaves, add the spices and the potatoes in small cubes and some of the nettle water. Cook until the potatoes are very soft. Add the beaten eggs. It's ready!

With the remaining water you can wash your hair. Esp after the cold winter, the hair is a littlle fragile and deteriorated. It makes the hair softer. My father washes his hair with this for more than 15 years (with shampoo too :) of course) and still has the intact "chevelure" :D. Actually, the nettle is best for this after it had bloomed.

Freckles
03-09-2003, 01:06 PM
I borrowed this from Euell Gibbons, might give you a little more insight.

The Common Stinging Nettle

by Euell Gibbons

A surprising feature of herbal research is that it is seldom the rare, exotic, and beautiful plant that proves the most interesting; more often it is some common, familiar, and despised weed that it discovered to have undreamed of virtues. The common nettle is a good illustration.

Nearly everyone who has ever run arefoot as a child knows and hates this plant, but it is only a stinging acquaintance.

Nettles are common along roadsides, n waste places, and on vacant lots where barefoot children like to play, nd when contacted by a bare ankle it causes a painful smarting followed by a red rash.

I was recently picking nettles on a nearby farm, and the puzzled farmer wondered aloud why anyone would want to gather "them damn weeds." I started to explain some of the uses of this wonder plant, but he interrupted and said, "All I want to know about nettles is how to get rid of them." This is the attitude that most people have oward this herb.

And yet, this detested weed is one of the finest and most nutritious foods in the whole plant kingdom. Unlike many health foods, nettle greens are really good, as well as being good for you.

In addition to their good taste, nettles are rich in vitamins A and C, amazingly high in protein, filled with chlorophyll, and probably exceedingly rich in many of the essential trace minerals.

No grazing animal will eat a live nettle, but when nettles are mowed and dried, all kinds of livestock eat them avidly and thrive on them. Horses get shinier coats and improve in health when fed dried nettles. Cows give more and richer milk when fed on nettle hay. Hens lay more eggs when powdered nettle leaves are added to their mash, and these eggs actually have a higher food value. Even the manure from nettle-fed animals is improved, and makes better fertilizer.

Nettles furnish one of the most valuable of all plant substances to use as a mulch in your garden, or to add to your compost pile. Having approximately seven percent nitrogen, figured on a dry-weight basis, this plant is richer in this essential nutrient than many commercial fertilizers.

Old-Time Herbal Remedy

All this would seem enough to ask of one common weed, but in addition to these virtues, nettles have also long been used in home remedies and herbal medicines to treat mankind's ills. Any efficacy the nettle may have in this area is probably due to its high content of vitamins and minerals.

A lively soft drink can be made of nettles that is reputed to cure the aches and pains of the aged, but it also makes a pleasant beverage for people of all ages. Eating nettles is not at all the unpleasant experience you might expect it to be, for this plant, when gathered at the right stage and properly prepared, is a very palatable vegetable. It is said that a good French cook can make seven delicious dishes of nettle tops. You can do as well, once the general principles of nettle-cookery are known.

Nettle Greens: Gather Only Early in Season

Like asparagus, peas, and many other vegetables, nettles must be gathered at just the right stage to be good. The common nettle has perennial underground rhizomes, and from these the tender shoots spring up as soon as the weather is warm. It is only these first nettles, gathered when less than a foot high, that are good to eat.

Take only the tender tops of young, first-growth nettles, before they begin to bloom. Wear leather or plastic-coated work gloves while gathering nettles. Wash the greens by stirring them in water with a long-handled spoon, then use a pair of kitchen-tongs to put them directly into a large saucepan with a tight cover. The moisture that clings to the leaves will furnish ample cooking water. Cover and cook gently for twenty minutes; drain, but save that juice.

You can chop the greens right in the cooking pot by using a pair of kitchen shears. Season the vegetable with butter and salt to taste, and it is ready to serve. A more wholesome vegetable never came to the table. Cooking completely destroys the nettles' stinging properties, and actually converts the venom into wholesome food.

There were some receipes in the artilcle, but left them out here, because Vio&Juni gave us a receipe.

Thiis is the link to the Euell Gibbons (http://www.ruralvermont.com/vermontweathervane/issues/spring/98005/nettle)

gini
03-09-2003, 10:48 PM
Freckles, thank you for all of the information on nettles! I learned a lot that I did not know before.

Also, you share a birthday with my younger brother. So I offer you (a tad early) a month in advance birthday wish! Happy Birthday!

zippy-kat
03-20-2003, 11:34 AM
*bump*

(that's a hint! all of these sound soooo yummy! lol ;) )

koxka
03-22-2003, 02:29 AM
This recipe is dedicated to the soup&cod lovers with a dutch background ;)

Fish Stock Soup ( Visbouillon)

300 gr.(10 oz) fish heads and bones
200 gr.(8oz) haddock or cod
1 medium onion
1 large carrot
1 leek
piece fennel bulb
3 spring parsely
1 finely chopped stick celery
the rind of 1 lemon
1 tps ( ½ tsp) white peppercorns
pinch thyme
salt

1-Put the cleaned fish heads and bones, the cod or the haddock and ½ (2 ¼ pts) (6 coups) water into a largepan and bring slowly to the boil.
2-Peel and roughly chop the onion and the carrot.Clean and roughly chop the leed and the fennel .Wash the parsley.
3-Add the prepared vegetables and herbs to the pan, together with the lemon rind (well scrubbed), peppercorns,, thyme and salt to taste.
4-Reduce the heat once the stock has come to the boil, cover the pan and simmer very gently for 30-40 minutes.
5-Strain the stock through a fine sieve or a piece of muslim and use as required.

Tip
A good way of storing leftoer meat, chicken, fish or vegetables stock is to reduce it over a fierce heat and then freeze it in a small container ( ice cubes trays for example). Use the concentrated stock to flavour soup and sauces.

From THE DUTCH COOKBOOK by Barbara Bloem

Enjoy!!!

Miss Meow
03-22-2003, 03:31 AM
Gee, I wonder who you mean! Thank you :)

zippy-kat
04-03-2003, 10:09 AM
Zippy’s Bunny Bread
(Ok, this is more like food art than a recipe. lol)

Mix up a batch of your favorite bread dough. Let rise. Punch down.

On a floured surface, divide the dough into half. Cover and rest each half for approx. 10 minutes. Roll one half into a circle. Cut into 6 wedges.

Tails
From 4 of the wedges, snip a small amount of dough. Form into tails.

Bodies
Gently shape the four wedges into ovals. Place ovals on lightly greased baking sheet. Flatten slightly. Take the tails and press on to one end of the dough ovals.

Heads/Ears
Divide the remaining 2 wedges into half, making 4 small wedges total. Shape each into a tear drop shape. Cut approximately 2.5inches into the pointed end of each. Lay each set of ears on top of an oval shape, opposite the tail. (Brush with water if the dough doesn’t stick together.) Gently half-twist the ears so that the cut edge shows.

Repeat with other half. Cover. Let rise until nearly double in size.

Preheat oven to 350. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until done.

~ Makes 8 bunnies ~

PS. :eek:I owe you guys some cookie recipes too.... >completely forgot< :eek:

Miss Meow
04-06-2003, 07:33 PM
Zippy, I printed it off to do some very abstract :) food art on the weekend but ran out of time - hopefully this weekend!

Last night my mum and I made Easter triple choc muffins with a choc caramel egg in the centre - I cannot tell you how yummy they were (and I will not tell you how many calories are probably in them!) I'll grab the recipe and post in the next few days.