PDA

View Full Version : Dog Folks! Books for new pups?

Karen
06-20-2010, 08:00 PM
A friend is getting a puppy, he'll be coming home in I think late July, and she asked for book recommendations. It is a little buff cockapoo, and she hasn't had a dog in 20 years. She's not very Internet savvy so wanted actual books to read to prepare, any suggestions?

Besides housebreaking, her biggest concern is socialization, as she's a music teacher who has lots of students of all ages coming to her place for lessons.

Freedom
06-20-2010, 09:02 PM
ANYTHING by Patricia McConnell will be a huge benefit. And she may be able to find some of them at her library!

Here is a link:
http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/category/dog-training-books

The Other End of the Leash is a MUST READ.

I have not read her house training book, but as I said, she is terrific (I have 3 of her books, and have read several others) so that would be good as well. That one is titled : Way to Go: House training a dog of any age.

I probably SHOULD have read it when I was working with my Tasha, the puppy mill rescue! Took 14 months to get her trained. But we had so many hurdles to overcome.

Also the Puppy Primer, again not one I have read, but knowing this author I recommend it.

dab_20
06-20-2010, 09:15 PM
I really like the ".... for Dummies" books. They have Puppy Training for Dummies, Puppies for Dummies, etc. I don't know which specific one I read when mine were pups, but they're helpful!

Daisy and Delilah
06-20-2010, 09:28 PM
You had me going, Karen. ;) ;) ;)

Shelteez2
06-21-2010, 08:19 AM
Tell your friend to go here http://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads and download the book After You Get Your Puppy. Lots of great tips on socialization and housebreaking and teaching good bite inhibition.

MonicanHonda
06-21-2010, 10:31 AM
Definitely the Other End of the Leash. I also just finished The Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training and it was very good. The author is a very good trainer. Anything by Karen Pryor is awesome too... clicker training is awesome!!! Patricia too! :)

wanwan1007
06-21-2010, 07:47 PM
My smart puppy by Brian Kilcommins and Sarah Wilson helped me out loads when I got Tippy. It also comes with a bonus DVD inside the book.

IRescue452
06-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Good Owners, Great Dogs is another book by Brian Kilcommons and Sarah Wilson I absolutely love. Kilcommons is great. He has tons and tons of experience. I haven't read My Smart Puppy, but I assume its just as great. She should try the library first to get a feel of any books she may want to own before buying them.

wanwan1007
06-21-2010, 08:03 PM
I did get my books from the library. The DVD was not with the book by the the time I checked it out. I thought the book was very easy to follow and gave you great pictures and troubleshooting tips for issues that might arise.

IRescue452
06-22-2010, 06:25 AM
Oh, I forgot, avoid anything by T.F.H. publications. I own a bunch of books by various authors put out by T.F.H. simply because I own a lot of animal books, but these things will turn you into a raving idiot if you follow them.