PDA

View Full Version : Any cats afraid of thunder?

Freedom
06-20-2010, 04:37 PM
Got to thinking about this as I sat with Tasha shaking like a leaf in a hurricane, panting like she just finished a marathon, due to a thunder storm off in the distance this afternoon.

Are cats ever afraid of thunder?

I've never seen one acting scared of it. Of course, being as they sleep 18 hours per day, and love little hidey places, maybe I just miss it.

I don't mean the start we give when there is a loud thunder clap right over head. That is different.

Wonder how a cat reacts if it is afraid of thunder.

So does anyone have a cat who shows signs of being afraid of thunder?

momcat
06-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Generally Groucho isn't afraid of thunder. He just uses it as a reason to snuggle with Soncat or me. A few weeks ago we had a very bad storm here with extremely loud thunder that shook the windows. That was the only time Groucho ran and hid.

Bengalz
06-20-2010, 05:06 PM
All cats and dogs that I have known in my life are afraid of thunderstorms ... except ... Eve:rolleyes: My little kitty girl is a storm watcher - she loves thunder and lightning:eek: Who knew this could happen???:D:love:

cassiesmom
06-20-2010, 07:54 PM
Dear Auntie Freedom,

I hate thunder. The only things I hate more than thunder are lightning and the vacuum cleaner. When the thunder starts I go to my hidey spot in meowmie's closet. We had very loud thunder AND lightning this past Friday, twice in one day, double YUK! Meowmie told me we are supposed to have a rainy next couple days, but I hope it doesn't thunder any more.

Please tell Tasha not to be afraid because she has you to protect her and keep her safe. I am always glad when meowmie is home when it's thundering. The vacuum cleaner doesn't go when she's not home though, and I don't quite have that mystery figured out.

Purrrrrrrs,
Cassie

Freedom
06-20-2010, 09:06 PM
Bengalz, that is interesting, most of my dogs throughout my life could care less! But a storm watcher kitty? Neato! He heee.

Dear Cassie: sorry you had a double whammy day. YUCK is right! I keep closets closed here, but the cellar door is always open now that all the litter boxes are down there. But there are 4 or 5 cats who are up here even during the noisy storms. I don't think they care at all.

But let me get the vacuum out? ALL 10 high tail it down those stairs quickly! He heee.

krazyaboutkatz
06-20-2010, 09:30 PM
We rarely have thunderstorms here but I do remember a long time ago that my Storm was afraid of the thunderstorm. Sounds pretty funny having a cat named Storm afraid of a storm.:) I'm sure that most of my cats would be afraid because they don't like loud noises. If they hear fireworks close by they're afraid too.

sirrahbed
06-20-2010, 09:50 PM
Mine all seem antsy in thunderstorms (have had a few this week) but Robbie especially gets wild eyed and trembling:cool: He is SUCH a baby!! I dunno, *I* don't like thunderstorms so I wonder if they pick up on my nervousness??

Sonia59
06-21-2010, 07:58 AM
Mine are not afraid at all. This is something I always found surprising. They don't care, except that they can't go out :rolleyes:

catmandu
06-21-2010, 09:42 AM
My Cats are a lot braver than I am when the thinder rolls and the lightning strikes!!:eek::eek:
When we all hide under the blankets, they are there to keep me company!!!:love::love:

MoonandBean
06-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Bean says: I don't care.
Moon says: Under the bed is a great hiding spot during storms, vacuuming, dogs barking and I even go under there when I'm too hot.

Cataholic
06-21-2010, 09:55 AM
I don't think mine care. A particularly loud crack might make the ears go back, but I can't recall seeing anyone hide.

J and I both love storms...maybe the cats are picking up on the hoomans anxieties??

Now, the vacuum cleaner, coffee grinder, plastic bags...those things scare the cats. I remember Allie and Dakky the first time I put on the ceiling fans...like little snakes on the ground, they were so scared! :D

Freedom
06-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Oh yes, Johanna, mine do NOT like the ceiling fans, he hee. First time each Spring / Summer, it is like they forgot those things and have to adjust all over again!

So this has been interesting for me. I guess it is just the cats I have, don't really sem to care about thunder storms. Thanks everyone!

cassiesmom
06-24-2010, 01:54 PM
Dear Auntie Freedom,

I had to go to my hidey spot again yesterday! There was a very strong storm again at about the same time of day as the one last week Friday. Why do storms make all those booming noises anyway? I really don't like that. And then all the lights went out and I was waiting for meowmie to come home. When she did get home I purred like crazy to let her know I was happy not to be alone anymore. I hope we don't get any more of those bad storms because I sure don't like them.

My cousin Milo likes to watch the ceiling fan at his house go round and round. He kinda stares at it some times.

Meowmie told me to ask you, please give your kitties and fluffs some hugs, kisses and snuggles from us.

Purrrrrrrrs,
Cassie