PDA

View Full Version : Deadliest Catch

pomtzu
06-16-2010, 07:40 AM
Does anyone follow the show Deadliest Catch? I think that most everyone, even if they don't watch it, knows that Captain Phil Harris died just a few months ago, from complications of a stroke.

Ok - so he was a walking time bomb, and I sure don't know how he ever got clearance to go back to sea, after his near death experience with the blood clot a couple of years ago. He continued to smoke like a chimney and work one of the most stressful jobs in existence.

Well - in last night's episode (filmed before his death), his son Jake got caught red-handed stealing pain meds from Phil's cabin, lying about it, and then finally admitting that he was an addict!!! I personally feel that Jake drove the final nail into Phil's coffin with that. Phil went semi-ballistic, but I'm sure what we didn't see televised, was not pretty! I'm certain that this was the beginning of the end for Captain Phil, as he had a stroke a short time later and then died.

Death by stress?? - absolutely!!! I saw it first hand in my own family. My own mother was faced with an extremely stressful incident, and in less than 12 hours, was dead from a heart attack. To this day, I blame the other party involved, for her passing. Up until last night and that t.v. episode, I hadn't thought about the circumstances of it for years.

I hope that Jake can live with himself for what part he played in his father's death, for surely, even tho Phil was that ticking time bomb, he just may have been around today, had this not happened.

OK - just had to spout off about that - since it did hit rather close to home and bummed me out.

More to bum me out. Today is my son's 41st birthday. Happy birthday Steve!! But I'm bummed out because he's away on vacation with his family, so this will be the first year since he was born, that I haven't seen him on his birthday. Seems very strange........

And later today I have an appointment that I truly want to cancel and just stick my head in the sand and forget it - but I won't. Get it done and over with so life can get back to normal - maybe!!!!!

Does anyone know a way to fast forward 24 hours? I don't like today at all!!!! :(:(

Freckles
06-16-2010, 03:15 PM
Be sure to watch the show on June 22.

Grace
06-16-2010, 03:58 PM
I hope and pray all goes well with your appointment.

As for the main topic of your post, I've never heard of the show or Capt. Harris.

pomtzu
06-16-2010, 04:12 PM
Be sure to watch the show on June 22.

I wouldn't miss it, but I'm almost afraid to know what's next after last night's show. I just hope that somehow Josh is not involved in this with his brother.

I hope and pray all goes well with your appointment.

As for the main topic of your post, I've never heard of the show or Capt. Harris.

Thanks Gretchen - I'll know more results of the appointment in a few weeks. Send some good vibes my way if you can spare some.

Deadliest Catch is a "reality" show about crab fisherman that fish the Bering Sea. It's on Discovery Channel and I think this is the 6th season for it. I don't like reality shows, but this one is definitely different. They all must have a death wish to work those jobs in the conditions that they do. Absolutely not for the weak or lazy! :eek:

lvpets2002
06-16-2010, 04:22 PM
:) Yup I watch it sometimes.. That Jake is something else.. :rolleyes:

Marigold2
06-17-2010, 12:14 AM
Sounds like the Captain was a stroke waiting to happen with his lifestyle.
Bad health can be caused by family history, by family or lifestyle.
I like to say if it wasn't for my parents and kids I would be sane.
Kids can sure take you over the edge.

Twisterdog
06-17-2010, 08:23 PM
I keep waiting to drop dead every day. And some days, a stressed-induced death seems like a peaceful alternative. Kids, husband, job, recession, house ... it all adds up and keeps adding. But, I must have strong genes or just be a tough old bat ... not only do I not drop dead of a stress-related heart attack, I don't even have high blood pressure.

I've seen that show a few times. The first time I watched it I thought it was just a one-part documentary-type program, and I thought it was interesting. When I realized it was an ongoing soap opera set on the ocean, I wasn't so impressed. I don't like reality shows. I don't like letting all that drama and negativity in my house, even though it's "just TV". I still don't like it.

momoffuzzyfaces
06-18-2010, 08:53 AM
I love that show. Capt Phil was one of my favorites. I thought for quite a while Jake was on something. He just seems so spaced out a lot. Even if he didn't trigger Phil's stroke, I'm sure he may feel like he did. Maybe that will straighten him out. :love:

pomtzu
06-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Boo-hoo-hoo! Last night's episode was pretty sad. I'm gonna miss seeing Phil, but he gambled and lost. :( He and Jonathan were my 2 favorites, altho I find myself liking Sig more than I used to. He seems to be not quite so much the jerk that I thought he used to be, or maybe he's just mellowing a bit.

However, I just don't buy Jake's remorse. It just didn't ring true to me, and he was just telling Phil what he wanted to hear. IMO of course.

Looks like Josh is taking over the wheel for the rest of the season??? :confused: I didn't think he had enough experience to do that. Can't help but wonder if the Cornelia Marie will be featured next season, that is, if they will be filming another season. We shall see.............

momoffuzzyfaces
06-23-2010, 01:53 PM
I thought for a long time Jake, was on something. He was just too zoned out not to have been. I hope he gets the help he needs.

I always wondered why Phil expected Jake to be the fisherman instead of Josh. Did I miss something somewhere? Josh always seemed more responsible and in to it than Jake.

Why is Jonathan considering retirement? That seems sort of sudden to me too. :love:

pomtzu
06-23-2010, 02:09 PM
I thought for a long time Jake, was on something. He was just too zoned out not to have been. I hope he gets the help he needs.

I always wondered why Phil expected Jake to be the fisherman instead of Josh. Did I miss something somewhere? Josh always seemed more responsible and in to it than Jake.

Why is Jonathan considering retirement? That seems sort of sudden to me too. :love:

I always wondered about the Jake/Josh thing too. Josh was always right there for Phil and was so much more mature and level headed and responsible than Jake, but to Phil, Jake was "The Golden Boy"! Just look at the thanks he got in return.

I don't know what's going on with Jonathan either, but I have dozed off and on thru a few of the episodes. Guess I missed something. It's not like he has a wife and kids that he leaves behind all the time like Sig and Edgar. Maye it's all of Phi's problems that he relates to, and doesn't want to be just another fisherman to die lonely and at sea. Sig and Edgar are wanting someone else to take over the Northwestern for them too. It must be difficult leaving a family all the time, not knowing when you step on board, if you'll ever see them again.....:(

Catlady711
06-26-2010, 06:42 PM
I used to watch it all the time until we had our cable cut back to bare bones. I miss the Discovery & History channels so much. :(

Daisy and Delilah
07-14-2010, 05:04 PM
I'm a little behind everybody else but I watched the episode last night where Captain Phil died. I'm sorry I've missed watching that show. I really loved it. I was bawling out of control at the end and I'm still having trouble getting over it.:(

pomtzu
07-14-2010, 05:18 PM
I'm a little behind everybody else but I watched the episode last night where Captain Phil died. I'm sorry I've missed watching that show. I really loved it. I was bawling out of control at the end and I'm still having trouble getting over it.:(

It was so very sad, wasn't it Terry? I too was in tears. Did you watch "After the Catch" that followed, with the other captains and the camerman that had been with Phil for 3 years.. Phil knew he wasn't going to pull thru, when he asked the camerman to film the end, because his story wouldn't be complete with just a beginning and a middle. That really got to me.
They gave him quite a tribute on Burbon St. tho. I wonder if he ever knew how many people, from family and friends to strangers, that really loved him?

momoffuzzyfaces
07-14-2010, 05:19 PM
I watched it too. Captain Phil is one of my favorites. I got the feeling he knew right at the end that he was going. Just because of the way he talked to Josh and wanted his good luck necklace and all. :(

Next week will be a two hour special and tribute to him. He will sure be missed. He's the only person I ever heard of who could find crab by looking for their fart bubbles. ;) I didn't even know crabs did that. :D

RIP Captain Phil :love:

Medusa
07-14-2010, 05:52 PM
I watched part of it last night and it sure was sad. Any illness is sad when it changes a person so drastically but a stroke is especially evil. I felt bad for him and I changed the channel. I just don't want that sadness in my house or in my heart and I don't want the fear either. I'm becoming too soft in my old age.

Daisy and Delilah
07-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Yes, Ellie. It was so sad. I felt so sorry for him and his sons. I am amazed at how tough those guys are. That is a really scary job.
I didn't watch the whole show afterward but I saw part of it. Phil seems like he was such a sweet man.
Once I started watching I couldn't pull myself away from it. :(

I don't remember the current captains name but he was on a commercial here today talking about fishermen and the support we should give them. After watching that show and what they do I have a new respect for all those guys. That seafood doesn't come so easy.

When Phil told his son he wished he had been a better father I fell apart. So so sad.:(

lizbud
07-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Was this guy in the show? Seems like a very unusual family.

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-deadliest-catch-father-jake-anderson,0,3854477.story

momoffuzzyfaces
07-16-2010, 12:30 PM
Was this guy in the show? Seems like a very unusual family.

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-deadliest-catch-father-jake-anderson,0,3854477.story

That is the father of the youngest crewmember on the ship the North Western. The crewmember's name is Jake. His dad went missing from their home. They have been following the story on the Deadliest Catch.

The last update on the show is that they found the man's truck but no sign of him yet.

pomtzu
07-16-2010, 12:59 PM
That is the father of the youngest crewmember on the ship the North Western. The crewmember's name is Jake. His dad went missing from their home. They have been following the story on the Deadliest Catch.

The last update on the show is that they found the man's truck but no sign of him yet.

Did it ever cross your mind that he "poofed" himself??? I was thinking that he couldn't handle the death of his daughter - remember when it was on the show and Sig had to get Jake to shore to go home to be with the family when his sister died?

Just a thought...............