PDA

View Full Version : Bp

Marigold2
06-15-2010, 09:13 PM
I have been thinking about the oil gushing into the water and all the damage it is doing to this beautiful planet and the wildlife.
Is this it? Is this the end of our life here on earth?
Have we finally managened to destroy this planet?
What if this is ignited by lightening?
Can it EVER be contained? Has this crossed your mind?
Will it just continue to seep, gush, and flow into our ocean till all marine life is damaged beyond repair?
Way was this drilling allowed in the first place WITHOUT a fool proof way to contain the oil if this very problem occurred?
Who allowed BP to drill without a back up plan?
Who gave BP the ok and the money to do this?
Has this changed your way of life?
Do you drive less? Would you buy a smaller car?
Use less products made from oil or just go about your life and decide that BP better fix this?
I am truly afraid that they have lied to us, that they know it cannot be stopped and it is already too late.

Alysser
06-15-2010, 10:01 PM
The oil spill, if not stopped now, will stop gushing sometime in august when the pressure is taken off this particular well. I personally think it has destroyed the entire could ecosystem which could take years and years to rebuild. I also don't think there is or will ever be a full-proof plan to containing oil spills, but just preventing them is the key. Has it/or will it destroy the planet? No. I don't think it's the worst oil spill to date either.

As to who gave BP the permission, that would be MMS, Minerals Management service. Not only did they give them permission, they did so without giving BP the proper permits to do this as they did with dozens of other companies.

As for changing my way of life, I already have a tiny car which gets about 35 miles to the gallon.

K9karen
06-15-2010, 11:35 PM
I think about it all the time. When I see the images of the beaches, and the people whose livelihood it affected, and those poor, defensive animals, my soul aches. I'm not a scientist, but, it's got to affect the future environment, weather, species, everything. It's a disgraceful pity. For once I'm glad I'm older so maybe I won't witness the effects in the years to follow.

snakemama
06-15-2010, 11:36 PM
I know I'm a crazy snake person because I saw the title and thought of Ball Pythons.

Casper
06-16-2010, 06:37 AM
I certainly don't believe that its the end. The earth and its inhabitants are quite resilient.

Afterall, in school I remember studying about the 1979-1980 oil leak (of similar proportions) of the Ixtoc I in Mexico. It took nearly a year to shut off the flow. There seems to be a lot of similarities.

This event hasn't, and probably won't change the way I live. My vehicle does not do too great on gas, but I hardly drive it anyway. If my destination is near enough (within 20 miles or so) I usually just bike there.

Edit/ I hope this post did not make me come off as uncaring. I really do feel for everyone affected by this recent event.

I know I'm a crazy snake person because I saw the title and thought of Ball Pythons.

Haha. :D A whole bunch of possible acronyms came to my mind when I read the title. Oddly, first to my mind was Buttered Potato. I guess my stomach is ready for breakfast....

Catherinedana
06-16-2010, 06:53 AM
My friend Liz Schulze finished this painting last week. It made me cry.

Lady's Human
06-16-2010, 08:13 AM
I have been thinking about the oil gushing into the water and all the damage it is doing to this beautiful planet and the wildlife.
Is this it? Is this the end of our life here on earth?
Have we finally managened to destroy this planet?
What if this is ignited by lightening?
Can it EVER be contained? Has this crossed your mind?
Will it just continue to seep, gush, and flow into our ocean till all marine life is damaged beyond repair?
Way was this drilling allowed in the first place WITHOUT a fool proof way to contain the oil if this very problem occurred?
Who allowed BP to drill without a back up plan?
Who gave BP the ok and the money to do this?
Has this changed your way of life?
Do you drive less? Would you buy a smaller car?
Use less products made from oil or just go about your life and decide that BP better fix this?
I am truly afraid that they have lied to us, that they know it cannot be stopped and it is already too late.

It will be contained, this is hardly the first incident of this type, and won't be the last.(This is, however, the first one being covered 24/7 by an overzealous media which needs SOMETHING to get ratings) The key is to learn from it and make the response to the next incident better.

The oil won't continue to flow forever, it isn't a self propagating substance. As it flows, the pressure decreases, and the flow will slow down, even if we do nothing.

Why was drilling allowed without a foolproof backup plan? Show me one plan which covers all contingencies. It doesn't exist.

Who gave BP the money to do this? Consumers. As in all of us. Who made them drill where they are? Reactionary environmentalists. There are easier resources to get to...............recovering them has been banned.

It would be difficult at the minimum for lightening to ignite the crude. It's TOUGH to ignite.

This hasn't and won't change how I live, but does make me roll my eyes more and more at the reactionary pseudo-scientific pap being pushed forth about alternative energy sources.

MoonandBean
06-16-2010, 08:30 AM
A whole bunch of possible acronyms came to my mind when I read the title. Oddly, first to my mind was Buttered Potato. I guess my stomach is ready for breakfast....

I thought of Blood Pressure....:)
Catherinedena: That drawing is heartwrenching as this whole disaster is.
Marigold: I think about it all the time and pray that we don't continue to destroy the earth. Have you ever seen Al Gore's "Incovenient Truth"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Inconvenient_Truth

Puckstop31
06-16-2010, 11:46 AM
Have you ever seen Al Gore's "Incovenient Truth"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Inconvenient_Truth

Speaking of enviro-wacko, pseudo-science, 'I wanna make money off of people who are easily exploited by scary pictures', stuff.....

Marigold2
06-17-2010, 12:18 AM
I like many others would like to go down there and help yet job and pets keep me from just packing up and making the trip.
All those poor creatures......So innocent... All so we can drive big SUV's it really makes you wonder, was any of this worth it?
Progress yes, killing our planet and the wonderful creatures on it NO, we can find a better way and yet the only way that seems to speak is MONEY.