View Full Version : Arizona mom says she no longer wants her kids

Catty1
06-15-2010, 11:40 AM
What is wrong with this woman? :(

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100615/world/us_mother_arrested

Arizona mom says she no longer wants her kids

53 minutes ago

By Mark Carlson, The Associated Press

PHOENIX - Arizona police officers arrested a mother after she reportedly told police she didn't want her children any longer.

http://media2.myfoxphoenix.com//photo/2010/06/14/muniz_20100614160105_320_240.JPG

Police in the Phoenix suburb of Surprise say they received a phone call Friday from an 11-year-old boy who said his mother was packing and moving to California and wasn't taking him or his 6-year-old brother with her.

Police spokesman Sgt. Mark Ortega said the boy's mother, Christina Muniz, 29, came out of her home and told officers that she was "sick of her children" and wanted the police to take them so she can "have fun and play."

Officers said they then contacted Child Protective Services.

As the children were being removed by CPS, officers said the 11-year-old attempted to hug his mother and was met with a punch to the abdomen.

Muniz was arrested and charged with child neglect, felony aggravated assault, disorderly conduct and possession of drug paraphernalia.

During a court appearance Monday, a magistrate said it was heartbreaking to read the police report.

Muniz, dressed in her black and white-striped jail garb, told the magistrate it "was a big misunderstanding, miscommunication."

Muniz was then scolded by the magistrate, who said she doubted it was a misunderstanding and that Muniz said a lot of things in front of her children. She urged Muniz to get counselling.

Bond was set at $20,000 and Muniz was ordered not to have any contact with her children unless it's supervised by the state.

Catty1
06-15-2010, 11:44 AM
More details. Thank God they have a dad!

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/06/15/20100615surprise-mom-accused-punching-child-abrk.html

A 29-year-old Surprise woman was arrested on Friday on suspicion of punching her 11-year old son in the stomach as he tried to hug her in front of police and Child Protective Services.

Around 9 a.m. Friday, police received a call from an 11-year-old boy. The boy said that his mother told him she was going to leave him and his 6-year-old brother alone and go to California, said Sgt. Mark Ortega, a Surprise police spokesman.

The Arizona Republic is not releasing the mother's name to protect the identity of the children.

When police arrived at the apartment complex near the 16600 block of North Greasewood Street, the mother confirmed that she planned on leaving the boys. She told police that she "was sick of her children" and that she wanted to "have fun and play" and that the kids ruined her life, Ortega said.

When CPS arrived, the mother said she would sign anything to get away and start a new life, Ortega said. The 11-year old tried to hug his mother, and she punched him in the stomach, he said.

Police searched the home and found a pipe with marijuana residue on it on top of the television in the living room, Ortega said. They also found two feet of clothes in the boys' room piled on the floor and the bed.

The boy said he had been sleeping on the floor.

The 11-year-old told police that he has been fending for himself and his younger brother as his mother spends her money on alcohol and leaves them alone while she goes off with men, Ortega said.

The mother was arrested on suspicion of aggravated assault, child neglect, two counts of disorderly conduct and possession of drug paraphernalia, Ortega said.

The children were taken by CPS and will be handed over to their biological father who lives in Phoenix, Ortega said.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/06/15/20100615surprise-mom-accused-punching-child-abrk.html#ixzz0qwOSZh3M

Grace
06-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Some people should be sterilized at birth. She sounds like she would have been a good candidate.

Karen
06-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Thank goodness the child knew to call the police, and that they have a father who can care for them, and probably loves them.

Taz_Zoee
06-15-2010, 11:57 AM
OMG! My mouth dropped open when I read the part about her punching the 11 year old in the stomach. Oh how I'd love to punch her a few times!:mad:

It's just heartbreaking to me that this woman was blessed with two boys and doesn't want them when there are people out there that would make awesome parents and for various reasons they cannot have children.

Husky_mom
06-15-2010, 12:05 PM
oh God!... I simply cannot understand these kind of "people"...

poor kids... they seemed to love their "mom" regardless.. and what do they get?.. hopefully dad is a better option for them

Karen
06-15-2010, 12:25 PM
With the boy's tale of her spending all the money on alcohol, and drug paraphernalia found, I am guessing she is in the throes of addiction. Not that this excuses her behavior one bit, but maybe the courts will force her into rehab of some sort.

Still glad that the elder boy had the presence of mind to call the police, he at least has a level head on his shoulders. Hope both boys get some serious counseling, and that their father is a more responsible person.

You know, so many people think when a couple splits that the children are automatically better of with the mother, and that just is not always true!

momcat
06-15-2010, 12:45 PM
I don't know what the law in Arizona is, but her parental rights should be terminated. In Family Court, the primary focus is (though sometimes we wonder what the Court was thinking in their decisions) the best interest of the children. At times that's a tough call but this one is a slam-dunk.

How sad that two kids are involved and know how their "mother" feels about them. I give the 11 year old a lot of credit for having sense enough to call the police for help. This boy obviously has a lot more sense than she does! It's great to know that the police took him seriously rather than blow it off as some kid playing around.

I've heard some pretty incredible things as part of my job is working in Family Court but this one is in a class by itself. All we can do is hope and pray that their Dad is willing and able to give these kids the stability and emotional support they need.

This idiot is the biological parent of two children...maybe someone should clue her in on what causes that before she has anymore kids.

lvpets2002
06-15-2010, 12:52 PM
:( How so Horrifing for the Children.. Their minds are Scared for Life now..

:mad: Oh yes this women needs help.. Maybe the gas chambers..

momcat
06-15-2010, 12:57 PM
You know, so many people think when a couple splits that the children are automatically better of with the mother, and that just is not always true!

Karen, I see this in my job just about every day. This attitude by the courts is changing but slowly. More fathers are petitioning for custody now and we're seeing more court orders giving dad custody either as parent of primary residence or parent of alternate residence. Some states order "shared custody" where the kids spend part of the week with mom and part of the week with dad.

Sadly, there's no easy answer to this. Too many parents still try to get back at each other by using the kids as the weapon. For the sake of the kids, I hope they grow up.

momoffuzzyfaces
06-15-2010, 12:59 PM
She should for sure be fixed so she can never have any more children. :mad:

shais_mom
06-15-2010, 01:39 PM
we just had a local $lu+ here in town that is 23 years old and gave birth to her 7th child. She only has custody of 1-2 of them. And this one she said back in the birthing room she didn't want b/c he was ugly and looked just like its father.
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

lvpets2002
06-15-2010, 03:05 PM
:)You know it just goes to show you that you dont have to birth a baby to be able to take better care of the baby that if you birthed it..

My Point is I take So Much Better Care of my 4 Legged Babies that I did not birth THAN Most Parents take care of their babies that they birthed.. And lord knows I damn sure dont leave them in the freezing cold or hot weather in a car..

phesina
06-15-2010, 07:49 PM
More details.
>>
When police arrived at the apartment complex near the 16600 block of North Greasewood Street, the mother confirmed that she planned on leaving the boys. She told police that she "was sick of her children" and that she wanted to "have fun and play" and that the kids ruined her life, Ortega said.

Uhhh.. hey, dirtbag lady.... you DID something a couple of times that got you those kids that "ruined [your] life"...

I was going to say she should be spayed.. but I think I like Helene's idea much better! -
:( How so Horrifing for the Children.. Their minds are Scared for Life now..

:mad: Oh yes this women needs help.. Maybe the gas chambers..

People who can't be bothered to use reliable birth control and then treat the children they wind up having so badly should be sterilized one way or another such that they can never biologically reproduce again.

Twisterdog
06-16-2010, 12:13 AM
Obviously they are better off away from her, before something much worse happened to them.

I'd make sure she got her tubes tied on her way to rehab.

Cataholic
06-16-2010, 12:31 PM
:)You know it just goes to show you that you dont have to birth a baby to be able to take better care of the baby that if you birthed it..

My Point is I take So Much Better Care of my 4 Legged Babies that I did not birth THAN Most Parents take care of their babies that they birthed.. And lord knows I damn sure dont leave them in the freezing cold or hot weather in a car..

I know you are talking generally, and probably in a ranting way, but really...I don't know ANY parent (thank God) that doesn't take good care of their child. :(

I love my cats and dog, and I do take excellent care of them (heck, I have fostered plenty of dogs I do NOT 'own' this year, and took fab care of them, too), the two ideas- pet ownership and child "ownership" are not mutually exclusive.

There are people that shouldn't be parents, and there are people that shouldn't be pet owners, and their are people that shouldn't be either.

I would rather we all join together to fight ANY abuse, then take positions of betterment.

Just sayin'.

Grace
06-16-2010, 12:43 PM
I know you are talking generally, and probably in a ranting way, but really...I don't know ANY parent (thank God) that doesn't take good care of their child. :(

Consider yourself fortunate, then. I've seen more than a few parents who should never have had children.

snakemama
06-16-2010, 02:07 PM
Consider yourself fortunate, then. I've seen more than a few parents who should never have had children.

Ditto. Molestation by family members seems to run rampant in my family. It's so sad. :(

Asiel
06-16-2010, 02:19 PM
[QUOTE=Cataholic;2273612]I know you are talking generally, and probably in a ranting way, but really...I don't know ANY parent (thank God) that doesn't take good care of their child. :(

If this statement was made seriously I have no idea which part of the country you live in. There are so many children suffering from every imaginable form of abuse it gives you nightmares when you go to bed at night. And that is everywhere in this country.

Anikaca77
06-16-2010, 03:32 PM
:)you know it just goes to show you that you dont have to birth a baby to be able to take better care of the baby that if you birthed it..

My point is i take so much better care of my 4 legged babies that i did not birth than most parents take care of their babies that they birthed.. And lord knows i damn sure dont leave them in the freezing cold or hot weather in a car..

me too!

Cataholic
06-16-2010, 08:31 PM
[QUOTE=Cataholic;2273612]I know you are talking generally, and probably in a ranting way, but really...I don't know ANY parent (thank God) that doesn't take good care of their child. :(

If this statement was made seriously I have no idea which part of the country you live in. There are so many children suffering from every imaginable form of abuse it gives you nightmares when you go to bed at night. And that is everywhere in this country.

You misunderstood my post. I do not KNOW...meaning, I have no personal knowledge, no personal experience, no contact, no friends, acquaintances-that don't take care of their child. I did not say I am not aware of the newspapers, or the TV reports, ect. But, I do not know anyone myself.

I was responding to a very specific (and quoted) post, and its overly generalizing tone. Let me quote it again:

The MOST parents thing really stuck in my crawl. Most parents? Who are you all running around with? MOST parents? So, what, more than 75%? Not in my experience. The world I live in has far more good and decent parents in it than not.

I am fortunate. There is not abuse, molestation, etc., running in my family.

Twisterdog
06-16-2010, 08:51 PM
The MOST parents thing really stuck in my crawl. Most parents? Who are you all running around with? MOST parents? So, what, more than 75%? Not in my experience. The world I live in has far more good and decent parents in it than not.

I agree with this.

I sadly, do know a few people personally that do not take good care of their children. But they are the minority, in my world as well. And they are the minority in the world at large as well, I believe. I believe that MOST people DO take good care of their kids ... that's why the BAD parents still make the news.

As pet lovers, we should all be happy to hear of a person who takes excellent care of their pets. And as human beings, we should be happy to hear of parents who take excellent care of their children. An abuser is an abuser. Whether someone is neglecting/abusing a pet, a child or an elderly person ... is it not all sad and tragic?

I have always been confused by the folks who want to divide pet owners into either the I-love-animals-but-hate-your-kids camp or the You-love-animals-but-also-have-kids camp. Seems to me a better division would be the Kind-Compassionate-Good-Folks vs. the Abusers-Murderers-Scumbags.

sana
06-16-2010, 10:11 PM
OMG! The children mst be feeling dreadful. This is so sad. The mother needs to visit the gas chamber and she should go in it to check if the fire's warm.

sana
06-16-2010, 10:15 PM
and btw children make life happier and fun, guess she didn't know how to have it.

Marigold2
06-16-2010, 11:30 PM
She is a poster child herself for Pro-Choice. And that is why I have always been Pro-C, because sometimes it is the kindest thing to do for the baby and the mother.
Actually she did a really good thing by informing the police she didn't want them any more. That took guts. There are thousands of women who feel the same way and they don't say anything to the police they simply keep ignoring and abusing their children. At least with her speaking up these kids do stand a small chance with therapy, they might be ok.
I would offer her free sterilization. In fact if you give up your kids or are charged with abuse it should be a law, some bleeding heart will nix it of course but it does make such sense.
As long as we don't provide free birth control but do provide free healthcare and monies for children born to women like this we will continue to have a problem.

Marigold2
06-16-2010, 11:31 PM
This statment is true for some but not all people, many women and couples are remaining childless now a days and finding greater happiness that way. Childless couples usually have more monies, more free time and from all the couples I have seen the childless ones are the happiest and the best freinds to each other. They have a lot less stress and more time to enjoy each other and life in general.

and btw children make life happier and fun, guess she didn't know how to have it.

snakemama
06-16-2010, 11:49 PM

I have to ditto what Marigold said. My husband and I are childfree and VERY happy to be so. Just because having kids made you happy doesn't mean it will everyone. Having snakes makes me happy, doesn't mean it will do the same for everyone.

dab_20
06-20-2010, 11:26 PM
:( Don't even know what to say...

Yes it's good these children are no longer with their abusive mother. But the psychological scars they'll have to deal with will never go away. Who knows what worse things have happened to them.

Catty1
07-06-2010, 12:04 PM
http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/crime/surprise-mom-indicted-6-24-2010

Surprise Mom Indicted for Punching Son
Woman told police she didn't want her kids anymore

Updated: Thursday, 24 Jun 2010, 4:35 PM MDT
Published : Thursday, 24 Jun 2010, 4:35 PM MDT

by JULIE ROSE

SURPRISE - A Surprise mother arrested after allegedly punching her 11-year-old son in the stomach has been indicted for child abuse.

29-year-old Christina Jean Muniz was indicted Thursday on one count of child abuse and one count of possession of drug paraphernalia.

Police officers and child welfare workers saw Muniz punch her eldest son with a closed fist when he tried to hug her goodbye.

In an exclusive jailhouse interview with FOX 10, Muniz said, "That is a lie... I pointed my finger in his face and I told him how I felt.... I think I just pushed him away."

Back on June 11, the 11-year-old boy called police to say his mother was packing and moving to California and not taking him with her.

According to the audio from the 911 call, the anguished boy told the operator: "My mom keeps on screaming, she said that she's going to go to California and leave us alone by ourselves for a long time!"

911 operator: "Why is she saying that?"

Boy: "I don't know she says she doesn't want to be around us.... she said she was going to be beat me up because I didn't want her to go."

When officers arrived, Christina Muniz allegedly told them she did not want her two kids anymore and that they should do something with them. They decided to call in CPS, and Muniz continued to use expletives and be verbally abusive to the children in their presence.

Police say she was drinking during the visit. Muniz later told FOX 10 she suffers from alcoholism and bipolar disorder. "I've always had problems too with my chemical imbalance, sometimes I'm not thinking rationally either," she said.

As CPS prepared to remove the children, the 11-year-old tried to say goodbye to his mother and was met with a punch to the stomach, according to the report.

A glass pipe used for smoking marijuana was found in the bedroom.

Muniz will be arraigned on June 28. She is being held on a $20,000 bond.