PDA

View Full Version : Worst day of my life...

moosmom
06-13-2010, 06:58 AM
It poured out yesterday. The roads were very slick. I was on my way to a kids birthday party in Glastonbury then to a fund raiser for Meriden Humane Society. I happened to get lost in the WORST section of Hartford, even though I was born and raised there.

I was coming up on a red light, with a car in front of me. The roads were very slick and I wasn't going fast. I put my brakes on and hit the car in front of me. There was absolutely no damage to either car and no one was hurt. We exchanged information and I told them I would call my agent first thing in the morning. Everything was okay. The people were wonderful.

So continue to the party. Wouldn't you know it, I hit a cememt abutment with my driver's side tire. Tire went flat. Fortunately, no damage to the rim.

I pulled the car over (in the pouring rain) and proceeded to get the donut out of my car to change it. YES, I know how to change a tire. Unfortunately, the lug nuts were on so tight, I couldn't budge them. Of course there had to be at least 3 guys that just drove by and looked. Idiots. A guy in a nice truck pulled up and I asked him if he had muscle because these lug nuts weren't moving. He told me to pull my car in front of one of his bays (turns out he owned the business) and he changed my tire (after bringing me 3 towels to dry off with). I tried to give him $10 for his trouble but he refused. He was a wonderful man. Not many out there like it.

I immediately went to Tire City (highly recommend it!!) and told them what happened. Not only did I blow my front tire, but my back tire had a bubble in it that was pretty much about to blow. I wound up getting 2 used tires till I can afford 4 tires for the winter and have the front aligned (major repair).

I got home soaking wet. But thank God no one was hurt and there was no damage. I'm thinking about starting to take a bus. I'm so glad this day is over.

Queen of Poop
06-13-2010, 07:16 AM
Yikes, Donna that sounds just awful, thank goodness there was a kind man to help you out. Hugs for you, Cali and Diego send purrs. :love:

Marigold2
06-13-2010, 08:10 AM
Oh Donna I am so sorry. You must have been so mad and yet so scared at the same time. When you got home did you have a good cry? I sure would have.
I had no idea you were that close to Glastionbury as my niece Linda lives in Vernon. Next time I fly up there we will have to get together.
Did you ever go to the Yankee Candle Outlit in Mass or the Butterfly house right down the road?
Linda and I did and had a great time. You would like my niece she is a vet.
Hope you have a relaxing Sunday with many fur babies giving you love, a nice cup of tea and a really good book. Hugs.

moosmom
06-13-2010, 10:08 AM
Well, I called my insurance agent, who's married to my cousin. I alerted him that I'd be calling Lisa, my case worker, first thing tomorrow.

It can't be that bad cuz no on was hurt and there was absolutely no damage to either car, we both looked.

So, I think I might have opened a can of worms. Instead of the lady calling my agent, she's gonna call my insurance company. Since there was no damage or injury, there's no claim, right???

Catty1
06-13-2010, 10:25 AM
Whatever happens, {{{{hugs}}}}.

I accidentally creased a neighbour's car yesterday as I was backing out of my spot. I left a note on his door, and suggested a local guy who does spot work. I don't think there was a dent - my bumper hit the body of the car. It's a 1989 Honda, so maybe he is not worried about it.

I suspect that once the lady tells her agent there was no damage and no injuries, they won't pursue it. Prayers going out!

Freedom
06-13-2010, 05:59 PM
Goodness, Donna, I thought only I have days like that! Wasn't worth getting out, was it. Oh my, so very sorry you had a day like that.

Naturally, all this in the rain. Glad you are home, safe, and dry again.

RICHARD
06-13-2010, 07:02 PM
You know,

I tend to look at thing from different angles.

That may not have been your worse day.,

You didn't hurt anyone or your car, some guy helped you and you found out that you had a bad back tire.

I think you were pretty lucky!:D

pomtzu
06-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Well, I called my insurance agent, who's married to my cousin. I alerted him that I'd be calling Lisa, my case worker, first thing tomorrow.

It can't be that bad cuz no on was hurt and there was absolutely no damage to either car, we both looked.

So, I think I might have opened a can of worms. Instead of the lady calling my agent, she's gonna call my insurance company. Since there was no damage or injury, there's no claim, right???

She was probably waiting a day before she screamed of whiplash and back pain. :(

kitten645
06-13-2010, 08:15 PM
I agree with Richard. I think that maybe you weren't "lucky" you certainly came out okay and that's what matters. Some days just suck! LOL! I'm glad you are okay.

Marigold2
06-13-2010, 09:21 PM
It wasn't a great day but there have been worst. I guess that just means you are do for some good luck now.

krazyaboutkatz
06-13-2010, 11:54 PM
You know,

I tend to look at thing from different angles.

That may not have been your worse day.,

You didn't hurt anyone or your car, some guy helped you and you found out that you had a bad back tire.

I think you were pretty lucky!:D

I agree with Richard.:) At least you got home safely.:)

Cataholic
06-14-2010, 02:16 PM
She was probably waiting a day before she screamed of whiplash and back pain. :(

Have you ever done yardwork? You know, spent a day raking the leaves in the Fall, or mulching the yard in the spring, to fall into bed bone tired- but not 'hurt', only to wake up so stiff and sore the next morning that you wondered if a truck ran over you?

Or, have you ever missed that last step, and regained your balance, and thought nothing of it, to wake up the next day feeling as if you fell down the entire flight, unknowingly?

The body reacts to stressors differently, to any situation, and unique to each individual. That someone felt no 'pain' the day OF an accident is meaningless 24 hours later. Anyone that suffered a sports injury will tell you that they felt minor aches the day of the incident, but, 48 hours later- OUCH! Just the way the body works.

I wasn't there, I didn't 'feel' the impact. I don't know if the person in the car ahead of Donna's was predisposed to an injury, had been looking out the driver's window, rather than straight ahead at impact, or, had seen the accident coming and braced herself (prolly the worst thing you can do). Or, maybe she is just a sleezy person out to make a dime. Could be any of the above, none of the above, or a combination.

Just saying that to doubt someone's reaction to an accident is all fine and dandy...but, I know from lots and lots and lots of professional experience- on BOTH sides of the coin- injuries from accidents are a real fact of life for many.

:love:

moosmom
06-14-2010, 04:37 PM
I worked 12 years in personal injury so I know all the ins and outs of it all. I talked to my cousin's husband this morning. He said I did everything right and now it's just a waiting game. Cops didn't need to be called because no one was hurt and there was no damage to either car.

He said that usually there are little "voices (friends, family) asking "you didn't call a lawyer??" That's when the $#it hits the fan.

He said it's a wait and see. I'm not sweating it. It is what is is.

Logan
06-14-2010, 04:42 PM
That's why we have insurance, Donna, plain and simple. Hopefully the person you hit is honest and will not have any problems after the fact. I do know that in SC we have to notify insurance of an accident and file a police report, even if it is the kind of report where the police don't write up the report, they just provide the form.
Glad you're ok.

pomtzu
06-14-2010, 05:06 PM
Have you ever done yardwork? You know, spent a day raking the leaves in the Fall, or mulching the yard in the spring, to fall into bed bone tired- but not 'hurt', only to wake up so stiff and sore the next morning that you wondered if a truck ran over you?

Or, have you ever missed that last step, and regained your balance, and thought nothing of it, to wake up the next day feeling as if you fell down the entire flight, unknowingly?

The body reacts to stressors differently, to any situation, and unique to each individual. That someone felt no 'pain' the day OF an accident is meaningless 24 hours later. Anyone that suffered a sports injury will tell you that they felt minor aches the day of the incident, but, 48 hours later- OUCH! Just the way the body works.

I wasn't there, I didn't 'feel' the impact. I don't know if the person in the car ahead of Donna's was predisposed to an injury, had been looking out the driver's window, rather than straight ahead at impact, or, had seen the accident coming and braced herself (prolly the worst thing you can do). Or, maybe she is just a sleezy person out to make a dime. Could be any of the above, none of the above, or a combination.

Just saying that to doubt someone's reaction to an accident is all fine and dandy...but, I know from lots and lots and lots of professional experience- on BOTH sides of the coin- injuries from accidents are a real fact of life for many.

:love:

I was being facetious when I posted this, since I've been down that road.

Some people will have no ill effects and claim to be just fine - and they are. Others suddenly develop those pains after talking the accident over with friends or relatives. It's pretty hard to know who's blowing smoke, or who really does have some injuries.

moosmom
06-15-2010, 07:56 AM
Johanna,

You're absolutely right. I've worked on both sides of personal injury. I know what the insurance WILL and WILL NOT do.

I'm hoping these people will be easy on me and not see dollar signs and "lawyer up" like some make a living at it. It was truly an accident.

Freedom
06-15-2010, 08:59 AM
Just popped back to see how things are.

Donna, may not have been the "worst" day, but sure was close to the WETTEST! :D

Cataholic
06-15-2010, 09:06 AM
Johanna,

You're absolutely right. I've worked on both sides of personal injury. I know what the insurance WILL and WILL NOT do.

I'm hoping these people will be easy on me and not see dollar signs and "lawyer up" like some make a living at it. It was truly an accident.

Of course, it was an accident. However, if (if, if, if) there were injuries or property damage, those should be taken care of. That is why we have insurance.

I would also tell someone to call the insurance company...not the agency. And, often times, ANY claim kicks your premium up...whether it be for $750.00or $75,000.00.

There isn't anything you can do about it, so might as well worry about other things. :D