PDA

View Full Version : My time in Wales with the horses.

Suki Wingy
06-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Hey everyone! So I spent six weeks this year at a riding school just outside of Cardiff, Wales this year. It was great but I unfortunately didn't take too many pictures or videos. I managed to find some kids to film me as well as a couple of other girls at some of the shows and meets they hosted. I made a little video out of the clips which I would like to share.
Watch it on YouTube. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6JCTHDZ-Tk)

If anyone's interested in the rest of the pictures they are here, (http://picasaweb.google.com/ocularexplosion/Wales#) and the pictures from the Doctor Who exhibit in Cardiff are here. (http://picasaweb.google.com/ocularexplosion/DoctorWhoExhibitionCardiff#) It was really cool since I'm a big fan of the show and I do a bit of cosplay with my friends.

I loved it there, only it was a bit hard since the caravan at the yard I was staying in had no toilet, shower, or fridge and it was a little cold since it was heated by a little electric heater. I would very much love to go back some time but the thing that's stopping me is the airfare! I used my dad's frequent flyer miles to get there and back as as I am still looking for a job I'll have to wait. (I am visiting this summer with the people I worked for last year in Wisconsin. :) )

Marigold2
06-11-2010, 08:59 PM
How wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gini
06-11-2010, 10:40 PM
What a wonderful experience for you. One you will never forget. Good for you - I hope you go back!

Bonny
06-12-2010, 08:54 AM
It looks like you were having a great time. I particularly loved that larger horse with what I call feathers on its' fetlocks, black with white spots on its' body. I learned to ride english in my late 20's & trained two of my horses in dressage,stadium & cross country. There is nothing like the feel & magnificence of a horse. :)

Suki Wingy
06-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Thanks. His name is Splash and he's a Shire cross. Everyone loves him because he's a big sweetheart but he's a bit difficult to ride and not really working out with the riding school so the owner's taking him back this summer. (He was on working livery)

Bonny
06-13-2010, 06:35 PM
I work with handicapped horse back riding & we sure could use a horse like Splash. Some of the clients are big people & a large boned well muscled horse would be perfect. The horse breeds we use are quarter horse & arabs. I imagine it is hard to get Splash collected for each jump. He just looks like a sweet horse. :)

Suki Wingy
06-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Oh yes he gets overexcited and a bit nervous every time. He was usually fine at the trot, but once you asked him to canter, sometimes he would just bolt off.
I love quarter horses but there were none over there. They are considered sort of exotic there.

lvpets2002
06-14-2010, 04:03 PM
:) WoW great video & pics.. Looks like you had a great time & some good riding experience..

Bonny
06-14-2010, 04:03 PM
He maybe is what we would call a ground pounder. Around here owning a thoroughbred is the way to go. In the past I had an Appaloosa -x he had a hammer head, pig eyes, & was real heavy in the shoulders with a wide chest. He was a ground pounder but did a great extended trot. Then there was Trusty Buck a buckskin we raised from a baby. He was a Quarterhorse -x & he loved going over the jumps. Both horses were half brothers out of different studs. Those were the days! :D