PDA

View Full Version : Catsitting question

emo
06-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Hi,
I have a 1yr old kitten (Simon)...well I guess he's a cat now and I have a friend who has a 5 year old Russian Blue (Prince). She's going out of town and wants me to feed him while she's gone. I was thinking about bringing her cat to my house for the week so he wouldn't be so lonely.
So...
- is that a good idea?
- Simon hasn't been around another cat since I've had him except for going to the vet. He is super friendly with people even strangers and seems to have talks with neighborhood cats when they are by his window.
- Prince used to live with a dog and is now living with a 2 yr old child.
-How should they be introduced?

Sorry to have so many questions. I know it's easier to introduce dogs to each other than it is for cats. I figure since Simon is so young he would adapt better to it. Prince is very familiar with me and I watch him all the time at his house. Any advice would be totally appreciated.

Thanks,
Erin

Taz_Zoee
06-10-2010, 10:30 PM
If it's only for a week I probably would not bring him to your house. Now if it was a month then I might consider it.
IMO, it could just cause a lot of unnecessary to one or both cats. It takes longer than a week (usually) to introduce cats to each other.

But if you are really set on it then you would just need to take it slow and see how it goes. Put Prince in a carrier and let Simon sniff at him for a while. Then you could put Simon in a carrier and let Prince sniff at him.
I am doing it differently in my house. I have a spare bedroom that I will put the newbie in with the door closed. I will eventually open the door with a baby gate, then without the gate (all well supervised). But this is for a new cat that will be a permanent resident in my house. Even when I was watching my friends cat for 4 months he only came out of the bedroom when I was home and could watch him. We did put up the baby gate during the day so he wasn't all shut up in the room the entire day.

Karen
06-10-2010, 11:06 PM
Unless it is a long-term thing, I would leave him at his own house, rather than potentially upsetting both kitties and certainly upsetting Prince's routine by taking him out of his home.

krazyaboutkatz
06-10-2010, 11:54 PM
Unless it is a long-term thing, I would leave him at his own house, rather than potentially upsetting both kitties and certainly upsetting Prince's routine by taking him out of his home.

I agree.:) If you think that Prince will be lonely then you should visit with him for at least 30 min. per day and interact with him.:)

Sonia59
06-11-2010, 03:54 AM
I agree. It will be more stress for Prince to change home and habits than staying alone in his familiar environment. For one week, if you go everyday, it's fine :)

moosmom
06-11-2010, 06:40 AM
The best thing to do is leave them in their own environment. It's less stressful and their familiar with their surroundings. I have a pet sitting business. I don't bring any animals to my house because it's only a 2 room studio with 5 of my other "4-legged family members".

catmandu
06-11-2010, 09:37 AM
I would live Prince at home as he is going to be frightened by being in a starnge place and seeing a strange Cat!!:eek:
Unless they are both outgoing , friendly Cats and you could have instant bonding:love:

Pinot's Mom
06-11-2010, 09:42 AM
I think you get the picture by now, but I'm going to chime in with the rest...leave the kitty at home! Cats do not like to be taken from their environment.

phesina
06-11-2010, 01:44 PM
The best thing to do is leave them in their own environment. It's less stressful and their familiar with their surroundings. I have a pet sitting business. I don't bring any animals to my house because it's only a 2 room studio with 5 of my other .

Donna, perhaps we are astrological twins or have some other mysterious cosmic bond?

I also have a pet-(mostly cat-)sitting business and don't board animals in my home because I also live in a two-room apartment with 5 of MY other "4-legged family members"!

moosmom
06-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Phesina,

Great minds think alike!!;):D

emo
06-13-2010, 12:26 AM
Thanks for all the advice...I really appreciate it! You guys are probably right and I don't think that I'll have them bring him over. Besides he might be looking forward to the peace and quiet while they are gone.

I love how helpful everyone is on this website.

Thanks!!