PDA

View Full Version : Need advice from my PT cat friends.

Taz_Zoee
06-09-2010, 04:32 PM
As some of you know I have been toying with the idea of getting another cat. It has been decided that getting a kitten is the best option since I've seen how Paizly reacts to an adult cat (my friends cat I had for 4 months, G). Even though I had my heart set on adopting an adult cat. :(
Anyway, Bruce and I have been talking about it for nearly a year (since I lost Taz). He suggested I foster just to see how Paizly reacts and if she freaks out we can give it back to the shelter.
Another option has come up as a possiblity. This weekend the shelter where I volunteer is having free adoptions. (I know, it's not the best idea because people that really can't afford an animal will come get one just cuz it's free) But I was thinking this would be good because if the kitten doesn't work at the house with Paizly then I wouldn't be out any money if I did have to take him back. Even though it would break my heart into pieces if it did come down to having to return him.
Yes, I keep saying him. I want a boy. And I see on the website (arf.net) two 9 week old little boys. One is Derek and the other is Damian. There isn't a picture of Damian up yet, but it says he is a red or orange tabby. There are also 5 siamese boys, but for some reason Bruce said he didn't want a siamese (no clue why). :confused:

I need everyone's advice - good or bad, I want to hear all sides.

I am torn because I don't want to upset Ms Paizly, but at the same time I think she needs a play mate. :( HELP!

Karen
06-09-2010, 04:46 PM
There are so many kittens needing homes this time of year that it is worth the shot, but I'd just be very careful about how the introductions go. Having the new kitty sequestered, letting them sniff each other under the door, etc., and seeing how she reacts is the only way you will know for sure!

snakemama
06-09-2010, 04:52 PM
It's kitten season, and in the bay area a LOT of kittens get PTS this time of year. I vote go for it! Sherpa is highly territorial about adult cats, but he has been magnanimous about the variety of foster kittens I've brought into the house.

catmandu
06-09-2010, 04:52 PM
They ceratinly are great looking Kittens Taz-Zoee , and as Karen points out you do have to be careful about introductions as Paizly probably will not accept a young Kitten who races around like a lunatic and startles her and thinks that her tail is an interesting toy easily.
:eek:
But if you are careful and do things slowly then Paizly may well decide to be a surrogate Meepwmie and they will bond and be fast friends:love:
Pouncer:love: did not care for Mr Scrappy :love:at first and she chased him about for a month, and from then on they bonded and are the Damon and Pthyias of The Awesome Angels Army.:love::love:

Taz_Zoee
06-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Karen, I have the perfect set up for introductions. We have a spare bedroom that the kitten would be in for the first week or so, depending on how it goes. Just like we did when I got Paizly. Then I put up a baby gate and allow dogs and cats to sniff the newbie.
I'm just so scared. My sister said the same thing - I won't know until I try! :)
Thanks for the response Karen. :D

Taz_Zoee
06-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Thanks Cathy! Yeah, Sherpa and Paizly got along good didn't they? That makes me feel better. :)

And thanks Gary, I would definitely take introductions slow, in fact I'd have to with the dogs anyway.

I am all mixed up inside. I'm a litte excited and scared all at the same time. Hee hee :D

pomtzu
06-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Maybe Bruce doesn't want a Siamese because they are so vocal!?

If you had one, you would see how smart and resourceful they are. I had 3 at one time, and there was never a dull moment. They were such clowns, and always had us laughing. Once you have one, you always want another! :D

Whatever you decide on - good luck! :)

Abby&Buddy'sMom
06-09-2010, 05:22 PM
the Siamese's :love: are great kitties , says Buddy ;)

ps... as you can see , he loves his dad:)

Taz_Zoee
06-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Awww, Buddy is adorable!
I hope I didn't offend anyone with the comment about Meezers. I have no idea why he doesn't want one. Honestly, I don't even think he knows anything about them except how they look. Oh wait, maybe he watched Cats 101 with me before and did hear about how vocal they are. :)
He's never had a cat before Taz and I moved in with him, so he has no past experience with any breed.

So, I've decided to meet the two D's (Derek and Damian) on Saturday. I might even stop by there tomorrow or Friday to see if I can get a sneak peak at them. :p And then we will see how it goes from there. I should have Bruce go down and see the Siamese guys, but he is busy on Saturday.

Pinot's Mom
06-09-2010, 06:24 PM
All I can say is good luck! I have never had more than one kitty at a time, so I can't advise. Keep us posted!

Abby&Buddy'sMom
06-09-2010, 06:31 PM
I Looked at the pictures of the kitties, and those siamese pictured will look like Buddy, as they appear to be of the " blue-point" kind :love:

All the others are so cute too:love:

Good luck in your choice you make.... but Im sure whoever you choose will be the right one:love:

Freedom
06-09-2010, 08:47 PM
So, I've decided to meet the two D's (Derek and Damian) . . . .

and bring BOTH OF THEM home! (that's my vote, he hee)

Taz_Zoee
06-09-2010, 08:53 PM
and bring BOTH OF THEM home! (that's my vote, he hee)

Oh nooooooo no no no!!!! That's NOT the plan! Now if I brought Bruce with me that might happen, but he's not coming! LOL Thanks Sandie! :D

Well, they keep adding kittens to the site. There are two more up now. Little tuxie boys. I do have another criteria and that is short hair. I have enough hair to deal with on the dogs and myself. So now there are three possibilities. There may be even more by Saturday. :D

kittycats_delight
06-09-2010, 11:40 PM
I say go for it Cindy....I think Paizly will do ok with another kitty especially seeing she is the older one now and will be BOSS. I think that is a tortie thing BTW all my torties have always had to be boss even over the dogs. I was looking at the pics and the kitties are all so cute. ^_^

I really like the look of this little guy.

http://uploads.1-800-save-a-pet.com/images/pets/c/2/d/63813162.jpg

and this little fart

http://uploads.1-800-save-a-pet.com/images/pets/2/e/d/63802681.jpg

and OMG Damian looks so lost & sad. He will be hard to resist.

http://uploads.1-800-save-a-pet.com/images/pets/6/4/4/63816232.jpg

Will be waiting on pins and needles to see who becomes the newest member of the household. ^_^

krazyaboutkatz
06-10-2010, 12:52 AM
Cindy, I say go for it.:) I love orangie males and they're usually very goofy and so entertaining. I'm sure that Paizly will accept a kitten much easier than an adult because it'll be smaller and less of a threat to her.:)

Having meezers can be very noisy if they're like my Pearl but my RB Starr was fairly quiet. He would squeak instead of meow. Sky also has some meezer in him and he's also fairly quiet. I'm sure it'll be hard for you choose which kitten to adopt because they're all so adorable. Good luck.:)

Barbara
06-10-2010, 03:25 AM
Under all circumstances- go for it. It is better someone like you adopts a poor free kitten (somebody for whom kitten is prio #1 and money prio #2) than somebody for whom the priorities are in a different order.
As for the choice- maybe you should bring Bruce to look at the meezers :p. He certainly has to learn about them;)
But that tuxie boy also breaks my heart.
Overall I second your decision to take a boy. I hope Paizley will get motherly feelings when she meets him :)

Sonia59
06-10-2010, 04:18 AM
Go for it. They are all cute. Damian seems to be needing a good home, indeed. :)

Randi
06-10-2010, 05:10 AM
They're all so cute! :love:

I think some cats get along and others don't, just like people. So you never know which ones will fit together. But if they can be seperated for the first week or so, go for it! You'll soon know if they love each other or not, and then you have the possibility to get another. :)

Cataholic
06-10-2010, 09:21 AM
I would encourage you to adopt two kittens. It would be easier on your household. I say that sincerely. Kittens are VERY bratty. I think your adult cat would tire of a kitten very quickly- if it is like any of my 6 adult cats.

I adopted Tuck, a 2 month old tabby. Within a week, I went to the shelter to adopt another kitten- Ari. They are best friends, and the adult cats thanked me tremendously.

I would encourage you to solicit advice from people that have adopted a single kitten with an adult cat....I imagine you will find that they say 2 kittens would have been a better idea.

My kittens (well, they are 11 months old now) still prefer each other...but they do play with the other cats, too.

Just my .02, and not some ploy to get you to adopt more cats than you want.

Taz_Zoee
06-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Thanks for all the replies! :D It seems the cat section is so much more active than the dog section. I remember it being opposite when I first joined. Luckily I have both and can enjoy both areas. :)

Anyway, while I would love to bring home ALL of these darn kittens I can only afford to care for one more. Even though Paizly is just two years old I still think of her as a kitten. Is two too much of an adult?
I know Bruce would not approve (even though he has nothing monetarily to do with it) of two more. :( And it is his house and he has to live with them so I have to consider his feelings. I just finally got him to agree to one more.

Here is my plan: I'll bring him home Saturday. He will go into the guest bedroom (poor Paizly will be booted out of "her" room) with the door closed for a few days. Then we will do the baby gate in the doorway while supervised for a few days. Depending on how that goes we will try the supervised open door. I'm hoping this will go well rather quickly because we are going on vacation the week of July 4th and I had planned on taking Paizly to my moms house. She doesn't have the room to keep Paizly and kitten separate AND away from her dogs. But we will just have to see how it works. :D

This morning while doing my stretches I kept asking Paizly if she wants a little brother. It's always during our one-on-one time in the mornings that I feel the strongest against getting a kitten. But then she starts play biting and rabbit kicking me and I quickly change my mind. :p I know she is NOT going to be happy at first. I just hope she can get along with him. I'm still so nervous about this whole thing.

Husky_mom
06-10-2010, 09:59 AM
I guess you can add me to the go for it people.. hehe..

I was looking the pics.. my oh my.. I´d take Countess, Duke and Zuni.. they are sooo cute!!

Damian is so cute too.. and Derek has some BIG eyes.. awww..

krazyaboutkatz
06-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Cindy, No 2 years old isn't old at all. Paizly still has a lot of kitten in her.:) My Pearl is 5 and Ziggy will soon be 4 and they still love to play like kittens. Even Sky who is now 8 will also join in on the fun and my RB Sunny was an eternal kitten who always enjoyed a good play session.:) Now Storm is lucky that he can just relax and sleep in another room while all of this rough housing is going on but sometimes even he'll join in on the fun.

If Paizly was over 10 years old and has been an only cat for many years then I'd be more concerned that things might not work out but I don't see you having any problems. Every time I adopted a kitten, I didn't even separate any one because at the time I had a roommate so I didn't have a spare bedroom. Yes, there was some hissing and growling but in about 2-3 days everyone calmed down and they all got along. Good luck.:)

Taz_Zoee
06-10-2010, 11:34 AM
If Paizly was over 10 years old and has been an only cat for many years then I'd be more concerned that things might not work out but I don't see you having any problems. Every time I adopted a kitten, I didn't even separate any one because at the time I had a roommate so I didn't have a spare bedroom. Yes, there was some hissing and growling but in about 2-3 days everyone calmed down and they all got along. Good luck.:)

Thanks Tracey, see Taz was 13 when I brought Paizly home. He tolerated her. I did catch him playing with her a couple of times. But I think he was already sick by then so he just wasn't really up for it.
This does make me feel better though. I just want everyone to be happy in my house. :D

smokey the elder
06-10-2010, 01:56 PM
I think a young adult will tolerate a kitten; just go slow with the introductions. I introduced a kitten into a houseful earlier this year, and other than the occasional hissing match all went well.

momoffuzzyfaces
06-10-2010, 02:22 PM
It just takes time, patience, and a lot of aspirin (for you, not them) ;)

I never thought Winnie and Chester would get along. But this morning, they were taking turns chasing each other through the house. Then I got proof that they are getting friendlier. Chester is 10 and Winnie about 2 now.

See: (Chester is the black blob on the chair back) :D
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/MOFF55/000_7100.jpg

Vermontcat
06-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Milly agrees with Buddy! Siamese cats are great cats!:D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/vtcat/meezers2/12mill5.jpg
They are great lap cats and they love to be near their people.
So many of my friends and relatives who have met Milly & Izzy just love them and the way they are so friendly with everyone they meet.
I think you should take Bruce to meet the Siamese kittens and see if they can win him over with their charm.;)
If he really doesn't want a Siamese, I say go for one of the cute Tuxy boys then.:)

Taz_Zoee
06-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Oh my gosh! I just stopped by to take a peak at the babies and they are soo teeny! There are four siblings, their names are Cheryl, Lacey, Damian and Derek. They always name the animals with themes. Can anyone guess this theme? I didn't even realize it until I came home and was telling Bruce about how they were playing.

So when I first got there Lacey and Derek were running around playing while Cheryl was sleeping on a shelf of the cat tree. I didn't even see Damian at first. He was sleeping inside a box that has kitty shaped cut-outs in it.
I really loved Cheryl's markings on her face, but I am dead set on a boy. So I think I'm leaning toward Derek. I didn't get to see Damian in action because he was sleeping. Also, I didn't see the Siamese bunch or the tuxie bunch. I am trying to get Bruce to go with me tomorrow night to see them anyway (I want him to see the Meezers). ;)

The manager of the boutique (where I volunteer) was not around, otherwise she would have found someone to let me in to physically visit with them. Maybe tomorrow I can. I will also see if I can get my name on the adoption list (Shoot, why didn't I do that today? Just thought of it, darn!)

Oh, so while I was watching them, Derek pounced on the sleeping Cheryl. He chewed on her neck for a sec then licked her head a couple times and left. Then he came back and pounced on her again. She hissed at him and he was on top of her the opposite direction and he was attacking her tail. Finally she let out a LOUD meow (I heard it through the glass) so he left her alone and she curled up and quickly went back to sleep.

I can't get over how tiny they are. I don't even remember Paizly being that small when I first saw her. But I think she is in that first picture Cathy posted here.

Ok, I'll shut up now and update either tomorrow (if we go) or Saturday evening. :D

katladyd
06-11-2010, 12:07 AM
Oh! I know the theme! This is my favorite show on television! How cute!!!! Are these kitties graceful by any chance?:D

krazyaboutkatz
06-11-2010, 12:21 AM
No, I don't know the theme but I can see why you're leaning towards Derek. He's the cute brown tabby and probably reminds you of Taz as a kitten.:) Hopefully you can get Bruce to go with you tomorrow so he can meet some meezer kittens and some of the others. What would you do if he wanted 3 of them? Good luck.:)

Husky_mom
06-11-2010, 08:13 AM
yay!!.. can´t wait to see pics..

off topic.. seeing again the male kitties I saw one named Ziggy Stardust.. haha.. he´s a senior but the name catched my attention..;)

Duke stole my heart.. he´s so cute!!..

Taz_Zoee
06-11-2010, 11:45 AM
Oh! I know the theme! This is my favorite show on television! How cute!!!! Are these kitties graceful by any chance?:D

LOL, actually Derek was quite graceful as he jumped on Cheryl! And Lacey kept squeezing behind the box Damian was sleeping in. You know Lacey, always has to be different! LOL :D

No, I don't know the theme but I can see why you're leaning towards Derek. He's the cute brown tabby and probably reminds you of Taz as a kitten.:) Hopefully you can get Bruce to go with you tomorrow so he can meet some meezer kittens and some of the others. What would you do if he wanted 3 of them? Good luck.:)

He does remind me of Taz. Lacey does more because she doesn't have as much white like Cheryl and Derek. But I'm set on a boy. :) I'm pretty sure I'm going to get him to go with me. But I'm going alone even if he doesn't because I want to see if I can get my name on the adoption list (if I need to).
Oh, and I have no worries about Bruce wanting to bring home 3 of them. No worries at all. LOL But if I am wrong then I would be in kitten heaven!! :D

yay!!.. can´t wait to see pics..

off topic.. seeing again the male kitties I saw one named Ziggy Stardust.. haha.. he´s a senior but the name catched my attention..;)

Duke stole my heart.. he´s so cute!!..

Isabel, I actually sent Tracey a private message about Ziggy Stardust. But her Ziggy is bi-eyed. The Ziggy Stardust on the arf site REALLY reminds me of my Taz though.
When looking online at the pictures Bruce kept seeing the Meezers and commenting. Then I'd tell him it was a Siamese and he'd say "oh". So I'm hoping he might fall in love with one of them. He asked me about them and I told him they can be vocal. But that some of them aren't like that. It just depends. We shall see what happens tomorrow! :D I'm so excited!

krazyaboutkatz
06-11-2010, 12:12 PM
If I lived closer to you, I'd be happy to go with you but then I might end up adopting a kitten too.;) Good luck tomorrow.:)

Yes, I seen several male odd eyed cats named Ziggy Stardust before but they're usually white cats with the odd eyes. I've yet to see another odd eyed cat like my Ziggy. People tend to think she's a male cat because of the name but she's large enough to pass for one too.:)

krazyaboutkatz
06-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Cindy, did you adopt a male kitten yet? Please let us know what happened when you can.:)

jenluckenbach
06-12-2010, 07:50 PM
I'm just catching up here. Do you have an addition yet?

You should not have any problems with introductions. Most cats adjust to a new feline.

Taz_Zoee
06-12-2010, 08:43 PM
YES!!! :D :D :D
We got Derek (barely). It's a long story and I have been running around all day. I'll start an introduction thread later tonight hopefully with some pictures. :D :D

THANK YOU!!!

krazyaboutkatz
06-12-2010, 08:49 PM
This is wonderful news!!!:D I bet there was a lot of competition since it was a free adoption day. I look forward to seeing his introduction thread and hopefully lots of pictures.:) Congrats!!!:D

kimlovescats
06-12-2010, 09:11 PM
How exciting ... can't wait to mee the new baby!

Taz_Zoee
06-13-2010, 12:49 AM
Here (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=2272729#post2272729) he is! :D