PDA

View Full Version : Do you do 1 Year Rabies Vac. or the 3 Year Rabies Vac.?

Anikaca77
06-09-2010, 09:56 AM
I was just wondering how many of you do the 3 year rabies vaccine vs. the 1 year rabies vaccine.

I've heard some storys lately that are pretty scarey about the 3 year shot. I was considering doing the 1 year.

Thanks,
Melissa

lvpets2002
06-09-2010, 11:21 AM
:) We do the three year on my babies.. They will be a little sluggish for the rest of the day & then all is good to go.. No problems so far..

krazyaboutkatz
06-09-2010, 11:24 AM
I've done both before but now I no longer do either. It's actually not required in my city and since my cats are indoor only my vet also has approved this. If I still did it I'd probably do the 3 year so they don't have to get poked so often.

lvpets2002
06-09-2010, 12:03 PM
:love: Not only do you not want them poked = it is so stressfull on my babies to be loaded up & taken to the Vets.. We are all crying before its all said & done..:(

katladyd
06-09-2010, 12:14 PM
I used to get them every year, but my city also does not require them and my boys are NEVER outside, nor do they come in contact with any other cats, so now they do not get them. If I had to, I would get the every three year shots.

krazyaboutkatz
06-09-2010, 12:16 PM
:love: Not only do you not want them poked = it is so stressfull on my babies to be loaded up & taken to the Vets.. We are all crying before its all said & done..:(
Exactly. It's also very important that the vet/vet tech giving the shot knows where to give it because if it's given in the wrong place and then the cat gets cancer from it, then it's much harder to treat. Here we can also just go to pet stores and they have vaccine clinics there so you don't have to pay an exam fee. It's still stressful though because there are a lot of dogs.

Taz_Zoee
06-09-2010, 01:57 PM
I do the three year rabies on all my babies. HA, I rhymed. :p

catmandu
06-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Thankfully Our Healer Dr Marsales comes out and vaccinates the Found Cats!!
:love::love:
He gives them some shots yearly and the Rabies Vaccine twice a year, even though My Cats never go out, My Tubster Panther does so I want to be sure.:love::love:

smokey the elder
06-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Initial (kitten) rabies is one year, then 3 years after that. I haven't had an vaccine related issues with any of my cats.

Anikaca77
06-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Exactly. It's also very important that the vet/vet tech giving the shot knows where to give it because if it's given in the wrong place and then the cat gets cancer from it, then it's much harder to treat. Here we can also just go to pet stores and they have vaccine clinics there so you don't have to pay an exam fee. It's still stressful though because there are a lot of dogs.

See that's the only thing that scares me is because the cat could get cancer from the shot. My crew is kept inside unless the one goes for a ride in the car (she likes to act like a dog at times I think but I somewhat trained her that way). Anyway, I found out it is required by law that I have my crew vac. for rabies but I know the one that I took the last time had a reaction to the vac. because she developed a lump but it did go away with time.

Freedom
06-09-2010, 04:27 PM
I was getting the one year Purevax because that was all my vet offered. It was getting expensive, so I said I would be moving to another vet.

Lo and behold within 2 weeks I got a phone call that they now offer the 3 year. :rolleyes:

At the practice where I go, the owner is a vet, and there are 2 other vets working there. BOTH of the ones working there get the 3 year for their cats! (I was told this in confidence, he hee).

But the new RI law is weird. You get the 3 year vaccine, that is good for one year the first time, even though they were up to date on the Purevax! Then NEXT YEAR, as long as I get them in on or before the one year, they get can have it good for 3 years.

Don Juan's mom
06-09-2010, 07:58 PM
San Jose requires licenses for cats (ha ha) and rabies certificates. I do the three-year shots.

prechrswife
06-10-2010, 08:55 AM
We do the 3 year and haven't had any issues.

Cataholic
06-10-2010, 09:16 AM
After the initial set of kitten vaccinations, I do not vaccinate my cats. Vaccine induced fibro sarcoma is ugly.

I have "heard" that there is no difference between the 1 year and 3 year rabies. I have also "heard" that vaccines last a lot longer than we are told.

Everyone should do what is, in their opinion, best for their pets. :love:

Catlady711
06-10-2010, 10:41 AM
The "potential" for vaccinated sarcoma's is just as likely with any poke, even fluids or antibiotics!

Considering that Rabies is FATAL in humans it's not worth the risk of a human dying out of fear of a "potential" side effect that my cat's may be exposed to anyways if they need an antibiotic shot.

I think Rabies vaccinations should be law in every state whether indoor or outdoor cats. There is always a possibility of your pet biting someone, or a bat getting into your house. It's NOT worth the risk to human lives to skip the Rabies vaccinations IMHO. After several times of having been bitten by a pet with expired vaccinations at work I can tell you for 10 days it's pure torture waiting out the quarenteen period to see if you have to take the shots yourself or die if you don't.

As far as I know there's no real difference between the 1 year and 3 year vaccines (at least the ones we use at work) however state law and whatever testing the companies did will deterime whether it's considered 1 or 3 year vaccine coverage. And yes, the vaccines do last about 2-3 months past the expiration coverage, but they build in a leeway for error by rounding to 1 or 3 year coverage.

My cats have ALWAYS gotten current Rabies vaccinations, and always will. I have never had any issues with it. I would never consider putting the fear of a possible side effect on my kitties above the risk to human health by skipping the Rabies vaccination. Just my personal take on it.

Cataholic
06-10-2010, 01:59 PM
There has not been a reported case of rabies in my county in over 30 years. My mom and I have each lost a cat to vaccine induced fibro sarcoma. You won't ever convince us that the risk is worth it.
:(

Pinot's Mom
06-10-2010, 04:50 PM
This is my third kitty; both before Pinot had regular, annual, rabies and distemper. We had thought she would be the same. Not so - her rabies is 3-year, and the only distemper she will ever have made her so sick I will not (with my vet's approval) expose her to it again.

Short answer-3 year, but this is the first kitty for me to have that.

catnapper
06-10-2010, 05:06 PM
I do the 1 year - my vet told me that the 3 year has an increased chance of cancer.

krazyaboutkatz
06-10-2010, 10:14 PM
I have read and heard that all vaccines last much longer than we are told. Many people say that the pharmacutical companies are just trying to make a lot money off of the vaccines. Titers have proven this.

My vet told me to stop all vaccines in cats older than 10. Sky had several bad reactions to the FVRCP shots and he'll never get this again.:( My old vets used to push vaccines and you couldn't even have a dental or leave your pet there for the day without them being up to date on all shots. My new vet hospital hasn't even mentioned this and I've had several dentals done on my cats there. I do still take all of my cats in for their annual exams but that's it.