PDA

View Full Version : A little grumble...*Pics added Post 9*

snakemama
06-07-2010, 01:13 PM
There is a HANDSOME Tom...big, grey and white, lean and muscular...out on my balcony. He has been serenading Sherpa (a neutered tom, go figure) from my balcony since 4:30am!! I've been out to chase him off with a squirt bottle several times, and he will. not. be. deterred. Love conquers all, I suppose.

The problem is, I haven't slept more than 20 minutes in one go since 4:30 this morning. I could sleep through the strange tom's singing if Sherpa weren't sitting in the window screaming every bad word he can think of at our visitor. I'm seriously getting worried that Sherpa is going to spray something to try and define his territory.

I tried to snap a picture of our new friend, but he slips out under the balcony whenever he sees me.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for a call back from Animal Control about renting a cat trap.

Catty1
06-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Renting a humane trap is a good idea.

Is there a blind or curtain, or something you can rig up temporarily, so Sherpa can't see his admirer?

Does the tom look like a stray? I hope he at least winds up in a no-kill shelter.

Poor guy - and poor you and Sherpa! All will work out.:)

snakemama
06-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Renting a humane trap is a good idea.

Is there a blind or curtain, or something you can rig up temporarily, so Sherpa can't see his admirer?

Does the tom look like a stray? I hope he at least winds up in a no-kill shelter.

Poor guy - and poor you and Sherpa! All will work out.:)

Sherpa actually damaged the blinds this morning trying to get to his new friend, so I'm trying to rig up something with cardboard. LoL.

I talked to my apartment manager and found out that this tom was left behind and they've been trying to trap him for weeks. Apparently one of the other residents is willing to adopt him, if only we can get him indoors.

Since he won't go near their traps, I don't know if I should bother putting a trap out by my place....maybe if I brush Sherpa and put the brushed out hair in the trap it will lure him in!!

Catty1
06-07-2010, 02:18 PM
That Sherpa Fur bait idea sounds great!

Either that, or do the throw-big-thick-towel-over-kitty and bundle him up and into a (big) carrier!

How great that he has a home lined up! :D:love:

And want to smack his previous owners for not neutering him and leaving him behind! I think the new owner should send the vet bill to them...I am sure the manager has a forwarding address?? ;):D

catmandu
06-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Thats odd that Sherpa gives off these vibes to an unaltered Tom Cat!!
I hope that they can catch this misguided Romeo, and get him to his new Furr Ever Home before he drives you both crazy!!:eek::eek:

snakemama
06-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Well, Romeo has wandered off for the time being (There's a waiting list for traps, so I left the manager a message asking if she would move one of her traps near my balcony) so I'm off to take a nap! Sherpa passed out after our visitor left too, all that shouting must be exhausting!

snakemama
06-07-2010, 09:05 PM
As it turns out, I may not need a trap at all. Romeo let me pick him up this evening, though he panicked when I tried to stand and I haven't been able to get close enough to touch him since then. Maybe if I get a big towel and I'm really patient...

I put out some water for the big guy, it was 109 out today and he was panting from the heat!

Taz_Zoee
06-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Progress!! That's awesome! I know you have the patience to do it too. :)

snakemama
06-08-2010, 12:15 AM
Argh, I had him and I didn't get the towel burrito-ed around him fast enough and he got away! Then some guy came over and started yelling at me for trying to catch "everyone's cat". :mad: So I've given up for tonight, but left out food and water on the balcony.

Here he is: In the first picture his mouth is open because he's panting from the heat. The second pic was about 30 seconds before I picked him up the first time. As you can see, he's filthy and he has some bloody spots. :(

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/cebogart/009.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/cebogart/010.jpg

krazyaboutkatz
06-08-2010, 12:24 AM
Hopefully you'll be able to catch him soon. Poor guy. All he wants is someone to love him and give him a good home. Good luck.:)

snakemama
06-08-2010, 02:08 AM
He's outside again tonight, but unlike last night he and Sherpa are simply gazing into each other's eyes through the window. Who am I to argue with love?

At least I'll be able to get some sleep.

Since I don't think Romeo is going to let me close enough to pick him up again, I'm back to my original plan of getting a trap tomorrow. I may just go buy one since there have been enough times in the past when I have desperately wanted one...

Freedom
06-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Oooh, looks like under all that grime and dirt there is a very handsome boy! Paws crossed you can get him and get him in.

He does look well fed! "everyone's cat" indeed.

columbine
06-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Even when dealing with a wary, well-fed cat, never underestimate the power of tuna... I bet the prospect of "kitty krack" will coax him into the trap!

And anyone who scolds you for wanting to take care of a cat that nobody else will take responsibility for is utterly without a clue.

Love, Columbine

dehlers43
06-08-2010, 10:28 AM
How about using Sherpa for "bait"? Put Sherpa in a cat carrier and just open the door or a window to your apartment......

Catty1
06-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Gosh...I know he has an owner waiting already, but he and Sherpa are already getting along better....;):D:love:

What a handsome boy he is!

kitten645
06-08-2010, 10:43 AM
You should tell that idiot that "everyone" should be taking him to the vet! Moron.
Good work with getting him used to you. You'll have him fixed up in no time! Bless you for caring.
Claudia

Husky_mom
06-08-2010, 11:35 AM
awww.. love.. haha.. funny isnīt it..

Romeo is a real hunky boy... hope you get him soon

Karen
06-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Since I don't think Romeo is going to let me close enough to pick him up again, I'm back to my original plan of getting a trap tomorrow. I may just go buy one since there have been enough times in the past when I have desperately wanted one...

My sister-in-law owns one, one year it is what she asked for for Christmas from her then fiance (now husband).

Romeo may let you try again, and get close again, maybe have a carrier near you for a quick transfer if it happens! He so looks like he needs a b-a-t-h - and a vet trip is paramount, as a cat that isn't keeping itself scrupulously clean is not a good sign, health-wise. We'll be thinking of you, and hoping you get the task accomplished soon! Hey, and maybe if you then see Mr. "Everyone's Cat" you can hand him the vet bill and say "everyone" ought to help cover it! (Okay, keep a copy for yourself to pay if need be, but it's worth a shot!)

snakemama
06-09-2010, 03:34 PM
I HAD HIM!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Last night I managed to get him under a laundry basket, but he escaped in the process of getting him inside. Today I bought myself a trap, I'll put it out in a few hours, shortly before his normal visiting time.

Karen
06-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Good, at least he's still willing and able to be caught! Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

snakemama
06-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Last night I trapped someone's beautiful, impeccably groomed Birman in my trap. Oops!! Poor thing was NOT happy. I hope he enjoyed the tuna, at least!

Donnaj4962
06-11-2010, 04:07 PM
ooops! :o :rolleyes:

snakemama
06-12-2010, 11:35 PM
Well, a little black cat was nosing around the trap last night but didn't go in. Tonight was the first time I've SEEN Romeo since the laundry basket incident, so I put out some fresh tuna and left. Fingers crossed...

Karen
06-12-2010, 11:40 PM
We'll say a prayer that he succumbs to tuna temptation!

krazyaboutkatz
06-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Well, a little black cat was nosing around the trap last night but didn't go in. Tonight was the first time I've SEEN Romeo since the laundry basket incident, so I put out some fresh tuna and left. Fingers crossed...

Good luck. Hopefully he's very hungry tonight.:)

snakemama
06-13-2010, 01:38 AM
GAH!!! I just let the SAME big fat Birman out of the trap AGAIN!! :mad: I felt bad doing it, but I tried to shake the trap a little and freak him out so maybe he WON'T try this again!

I was so excited when I peeked out the window and saw the trap door closed. Sigh.

smokey the elder
06-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Silly Birman!