PDA

View Full Version : Do you look old?

Marigold2
06-04-2010, 07:53 PM
I was looking around the interent and saw some pictures of classmates. Oh God, do I look that old? Some looked really good, they stayed in shape and took care of themselves. Others gained a lot of weight. Some have double chins, no hair, and looks of defeat about them and sadness. That made me sad, as I of course remember them at 17 and 18 being full of life and adventure.
Some that were pretty in high school are not so and a few really grew into their looks with the right hair and makeup and maybe some surgery, don't know. It was a shock to see them all, now so middle aged and some so old, I simply can't look like that can I?
Have you ever ran into an old school mate and thought that to yourself, seen their wrinkles, their extra weight and chins and thought how young you looked compared to them. And then later as you looked in the mirror you were not as young as you thought?
Oh God when did I start to look like aunt Irma :eek: She was so nice but so old and bumpy.

Medusa
06-04-2010, 10:34 PM
I know what you mean. Sometimes I look in the mirror and think "Who put that picture of my mother there?"

kokopup
06-04-2010, 10:52 PM
When you are 70 it is hard to look anyway but old. If you look in the dictionary under old you can see my picture.:D

blue
06-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Yep I do. At least I look older then my older brother.

carole
06-04-2010, 11:25 PM
I hear what you are saying, yes i see some old class mates, that look way older, then some who have aged better than myself,i also know some that are younger and look older than me, we all age differently, and i guess it depends on whether you have money to afford all the things in life that can make you look younger, plastic surgery is completely out of the question for me, and i think if i had money i might be tempted, but i hate pain , so not so sure.

when i was a young i always looked too young, if only that were the case now, when i was 20 looked about 16 so everyone told me, bring it back please, i think i look my age now ,sadly. lol:(

CountryWolf07
06-04-2010, 11:41 PM
Ask me in 20 years. I haven't had my 10 year reunion.. yet. Not til' 2013.

krazyaboutkatz
06-05-2010, 12:35 AM
Yes, I think I look old and sometimes I even feel very old and I'm not quite 50 yet.:( I was looking at some older pictures of myself when I was in my 20's-30's and I sure look much younger back then and I was in much better shape than I am now.

I never run into any of my high school classmates because I went to high school in S.C. and I now live in CA. I've seen some of them on Facebook and most of the men sure look old. I've never bothered to go to any reunions either.

RICHARD
06-05-2010, 12:42 AM
LOL, a woman told me that I looked 60.

There were cameras in the liquor store....so I could not throttle her.:D

Barbara
06-05-2010, 04:35 AM
When my mom was 80+ she said the only problem she had was that inside she still felt like 18. With me it's similar, only thing is I feel like 12 most of the time:rolleyes:
If there were no mirrors and cameras I would still believe I look 12 too ;)

ChrisH
06-05-2010, 04:50 AM
Inside every older person is a younger person - wondering what the hell happened.
Cora Harvey Armstrong

Yes I do look old ... but that is because I am old.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/happy041.gif And when I consider the alternative very glad to be so too. :D

moosmom
06-05-2010, 06:03 AM
Well, I think I look old, since I stopped coloring my hair and it's now silver. But everyone I talk to says I carry it well and don't look my age.

pomtzu
06-05-2010, 07:18 AM
Inside every older person is a younger person - wondering what the hell happened.
Cora Harvey Armstrong

Yes I do look old ... but that is because I am old.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/happy041.gif And when I consider the alternative very glad to be so too. :D

You hit the nail on the head!!! :p

All of my adult life, people thought I was much younger than I actually was. But boy oh boy - that has come to a screeching halt. The last 4 years, I look like I have aged about 10, and people no longer think I'm younger than I am. Ill health takes it's toll in more than one way, and it finally caught up with me! :(

Catherinedana
06-05-2010, 08:32 AM
I think I probably look about my age. My husband is 16 years older than me and is almost 62 years old, but he LOOKS about 52 and people are stunned when they find out how old he is.

The women in my family didn't get very wrinkly so I might have a good chance of carrying on that tradition. I'm plump now so if I lose weight I might wrinkle. Good excuse, hunh? :D :rolleyes:

pomtzu
06-05-2010, 10:15 AM
The women in my family didn't get very wrinkly so I might have a good chance of carrying on that tradition. I'm plump now so if I lose weight I might wrinkle. Good excuse, hunh? :D :rolleyes:

Not a good excuse - just a good point! ;)
No body fat = wrinkles!
The women on my mother's side of the family were definitely wrinkly, even tho they carried extra weight.
So that, coupled with no body fat on me, makes me doubly wrinkly! Hey, but at my age, I'm not looking for a man, so who the heck cares???? It's what's inside that counts - (so I'm told)!
What you see, is what you get! :eek:

Cataholic
06-05-2010, 10:38 AM
I never really grasped the whole "old" thing. I don't think I give it much thought. I don't color my hair, I have gray hair, I don't wear much makeup, I don't get all dolled up to go out, and wear what works for me.

I don't say, "oh, age is just a number", or try to be younger/older/different than what I am. I haven't really ever thought, "oh, my, she looks old" about any friends I might be fortuante enough to run into. It just isn't a factor or important to me.

I am glad of my age, my experiences, my functioning body, and that I can keep up with my near 6 year old. I just presume others are thinking along those lines, too.

Marigold2
06-05-2010, 11:07 AM
With some lifestyles and jobs apperence matters more then others. If I am out working in my garden or just grocery shopping, my looks don't really matter as long as I am freshly showed when I go out, brush my teeth and do all the basics.
However my work is different I am expected to look good working for a plastic surgeron, it's part of the image. Same with the ladies at the makeup counter at Macy's or Dillards. If you work for a dentist you have nice teeth otherwise people will wonder about the work the dentist does.
When I worked in a staffing office I wore heels, hose and suits or dresses everyday. Office attire is how some people spend most of their waking time. If you are wear a suit most women will have their hair done and makeup and nails done as well. It's just part of the look.
So it is really all subjective on lifestyle and taste.
As for looking good, when I am dressed up I feel good, I look better with hair styled and makeup on.

I never really grasped the whole "old" thing. I don't think I give it much thought. I don't color my hair, I have gray hair, I don't wear much makeup, I don't get all dolled up to go out, and wear what works for me.

I don't say, "oh, age is just a number", or try to be younger/older/different than what I am. I haven't really ever thought, "oh, my, she looks old" about any friends I might be fortuante enough to run into. It just isn't a factor or important to me.

I am glad of my age, my experiences, my functioning body, and that I can keep up with my near 6 year old. I just presume others are thinking along those lines, too.

caseysmom
06-05-2010, 11:15 AM

This is why I admire you so much...you are not superficial. I hope when running into old friends they aren't summing up how old I look I sure wouldn't be doing that to them!

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Just like my mom I've always looked much younger than I am!
But now it is getting a bit harder, because my hair is turning really white :eek:
I guess I won't be able to hide my real age much longer :eek::D;)

wombat2u2004
06-05-2010, 11:36 AM
This is why I admire you so much...you are not superficial. I hope when running into old friends they aren't summing up how old I look I sure wouldn't be doing that to them!

Hahahaha....you equate looking good to please others and yourself with being superficial ???
Uh uh !!! There is a big big difference.

Cataholic
06-05-2010, 12:12 PM

That was awfully nice of you. Thanks! The feeling is mutual.

With some lifestyles and jobs apperence matters more then others. If I am out working in my garden or just grocery shopping, my looks don't really matter as long as I am freshly showed when I go out, brush my teeth and do all the basics.
However my work is different I am expected to look good working for a plastic surgeron, it's part of the image. Same with the ladies at the makeup counter at Macy's or Dillards. If you work for a dentist you have nice teeth otherwise people will wonder about the work the dentist does.
When I worked in a staffing office I wore heels, hose and suits or dresses everyday. Office attire is how some people spend most of their waking time. If you are wear a suit most women will have their hair done and makeup and nails done as well. It's just part of the look.
As for looking good, when I am dressed up I feel good, I look better with hair styled and makeup on.

Truly, some of your concepts of how women should be/are are outdated. I have worked in a very professional environment for 12 years, and before that, I worked for an insurance company that had very strict guidelines on dress code. I can tell you- the times, they are a'changin'.

Women dress how they want to dress, and if they are in a professional enviroment, they dress how they deem appropriate. We are professional women, not droids or drones (sorry, Fett and Kimmy! I can't remember which are which).

I have not worn hose in 6 years, and I am NOT in the minority. Suits? Maybe sometimes, but more often than not I am not in one. "Styled" hair? Hah! I see as much pony-tailed, "natural" hair styles (and of course wear a wash and wear style myself (much to my hair guys chagrin) as I do that which might constitute 'styled'. Nails done? LOLOL. My feet, usually, just a 'thing' with me. Hands? Never. Too much money to waste on something that just doesn't work with house work, yard work, tending to animals, etc.

You are in a V.E.R.Y. superficial area of the working population. Us normal folks...well, looks are only 2% of a woman's personality. What is on the inside is just so much more important.

Karen
06-05-2010, 12:51 PM
I have always had trouble guessing someone's age by his or her looks, and no one can ever guess mine if they don't know me. I know this because when I say something like "Oh, I've been married for 23 years" they say "What, were you ten????!!" and had a friend I met at a convention and was emailing me tell me I must be wrong when I emailed her on my birthday - she asked if I had made a typo. Yet when I was a college freshman, I had people somehow convinced that I was older than 18, I guess because I just wasn't ditsy. So it is much more the attitude, I have found, than anything that matters. Also, as a pale person, I never did go out an "tan" like many of my friends, so I don't have the sun damage they do. I think I look my age, but some people I know look older than our age. I guess my skin is just part of the blessing/curse of my English and Swedish heritage - made for cold and fog, but holds up pretty well! Great Aunt Bertha was far less wrinkly that others who were decades younger than her in the nursing home when she was 92!

krazyaboutkatz
06-05-2010, 02:12 PM
I rarely get dressed up these days and I've always found that wearing jeans and tennis shoes was so much more comfortable than wearing dresses and high heals. I work in a dental lab where it's dirty and dusty and luckily I can wear jeans and tennis shoes to work.

I've never ever had a manicure or even a pedicure and I also don't see the point in spending money on this kind of thing. I do wear the basics in makeup like foundation, powder, and blush but that's all. I have very oily skin so I can't wear heavy makeup and my oily skin has also helped me to wrinkle less. I also avoid the sun and yes I'm very pale but I'd rather be this way than sun tanned and leathery. If my complexion was better I'd probably go without makeup at work. If I'm not going any where on the weekends I don't even bother with makeup. My cats still love me and they don't care how I look. I do prefer to be as natural looking as possible.

I've been blessed with natural curly hair so it's basically wash and wear. I do put some product in it to help with frizziness and once it's dry I'll just comb through it and then put a little shine anti frizz stuff on it and a some hairspray and I'm done for the day. I also color my hair at home myself. I've paid to have it done professionally before but it's been damaged before because it became very dry. It's very fine and thin so it's very easy to damage it. I do have quite a few white hairs now and once I get a lot more, I'll just stop coloring it and go all white. My great Aunt had beautiful white hair and I hope to look as good as she did.:)

Prairie Purrs
06-05-2010, 02:40 PM
I looked young when I was young, and I look old now that I'm old. All is as it should be. I can't accept the premise that looking one's age is a bad thing once you're past 20 or so, nor do I believe that old faces lack beauty. :)

carole
06-06-2010, 01:54 AM
You know what i don't think there is anything wrong with making the most of yourself, and i also see nothing wrong with being just yourself, it is entirely a personal thing, if you are comfortable either way that is what matters.

I like to wear make-up , some jewellery, have my hair coloured now and then and dress up a bit, i am more a jeans and jacket type of woman, but i like to add accessories like a scarf to dress myself up, i don't wear high heels, dresses, only own one skirt, but i find nothing wrong with seeing a dressed up woman who takes care of herself, that is her own decision and does not make her superficial either IMO.

As long as one is happy in their own skin, who am i to judge. Each to their own i say.

lizbud
06-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Probably. I am old.:)

Kirsten
06-06-2010, 11:04 AM
I know what you mean. :(
For years, I used to looked much younger than I was, but since I lost so much weight, I think my true age shows up clearly now. A while ago, I stopped smiling when pics of me are taken, because smiling shows my wrinkles... But I think that some of my former classmates look even older.

Kirsten

Karen
06-06-2010, 11:56 AM
But Kirsten, smiling makes everyone look better - even if the wrinkles show, the friendliness outweighs them!

Marigold2
06-06-2010, 12:17 PM
I have noticed in the past years a sort of mini trend.
Women who get divorced come in for some botox for several reasons. One they want to start dating and want a little younger look or two they are celebrating their freedom and are now finally doing something good for themselves. Another reason is empty nesters they want a little fresh up. The kids are out of the house and now they can do a bit for themselves men and women.
Men get the botox for job interviews and yes for dating. Just as people whiten their teeth. Women as well a bit of botox and you look rested and ready to tackle that new job.
If you still feel 30 on the inside no harm looking 30 something on the outside.

pomtzu
06-06-2010, 12:30 PM
I have noticed in the past years a sort of mini trend.
Women who get divorced come in for some botox for several reasons. One they want to start dating and want a little younger look or two they are celebrating their freedom and are now finally doing something good for themselves. Another reason is empty nesters they want a little fresh up. The kids are out of the house and now they can do a bit for themselves men and women.
Men get the botox for job interviews and yes for dating. Just as people whiten their teeth. Women as well a bit of botox and you look rested and ready to tackle that new job.
If you still feel 30 on the inside no harm looking 30 something on the outside.

And of course you can take it to the extreme - like Joan Rivers. :eek::p:D

sirrahbed
06-06-2010, 12:46 PM
To cheer yourself up, lie down on your back and look UP at your mirror. You will lose ten years :) Oh, but don't look *down* into that mirror or you gain ten (or more!!) years :D

Randi
06-06-2010, 01:11 PM
I just don't get it... people going in to have Botox injections every now and again, and worse - facelifts and boob jobs etc. Have you seen what they look like 10-15 years later? I watched a programme on TV recently and saw what it involved - good grief! :eek: Oh yes, I would certainly like to look younger, but not at all costs! I'd rather have back the energy I had years ago. :D

Btw, I've always looked younger than I am, but I think we all have to face it, once you're past 50, you will get wrinkles. ;) Live with it!

Someone posted a thread here some time ago (years?) with links to what people looked like before and after treatment, that should scare anyone enough from having it done.

Marigold2
06-06-2010, 03:30 PM
I think Joan Rivers looks great and at 75 she has boundless energy.
As for Botox, you would be shocked at how many people have it done and most people don't even know. I notice because I see the patients all the time but if a person has Botox done right you would not notice anything but a person who looks a bit fresher.
Those lines around the mouth are filled in with fillers and like magic those lines are gone and no one knows. A half an hour you walk out the door looking great.

Karen
06-06-2010, 03:35 PM
I just don't see the point of cosmetic surgery for most people for vanity's sake. They'd likely holler good and loud if someone took 10 year experience of their resume arbitrarily, why worry about looking live you've lived those years?

pomtzu
06-06-2010, 05:53 PM
[FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=purple]I think Joan Rivers looks great and at 75 she has boundless energy.

Sure she looks good. With her money and a good doctor, I could look that good too.
I wonder what she would look like without all of the procedures that she has had?? Probably just another wrinkled 75 year old. As for her energy - well I can say I envy her for that. :)

Marigold2
06-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Some jobs require looking ones best everyday. Men use botox, whiten their teeth, color their hair almost as much as women do.
Looking good sends out a signal that you are a healthy individual and up for the job.
It's not so much about being vain as it is looking the best one can, some jobs are about image. Sales for instance, you are not as likely to buy something from a disshelved person as you are from someone who is put together well.
Shiny shoes, a good haircut an execellent suit make a big difference in sales especially if you are selling a high priced item. BMW salesmen don't wear shorts and T-Shirts to sell you that new car, nor do the girls at the makeup counter at Macys.
Most Drs wear suits, so do most lawyers, CEO, medical sales rep are always dressed lovely, the women all wear dresses and the men suits. Real Eatate people are fancy dressers.
It's important to look successful and dress the part whatever that might be.
My husband has been in sales for 30 years and he knows that you buy the product from the salesman and he or she has to sell themselves before recommending a product.
If you and another person have the same skills but that person is dressed nicer then you or their teeth are whiter or their shoes shine more they will most likey get the job.
Like buying a home, the three most important things location, location, location.
It might not be right to judge a new candidate on their apperence so much but I for one will always wear a suit to an interview. Can't hurt.

I just don't see the point of cosmetic surgery for most people for vanity's sake. They'd likely holler good and loud if someone took 10 year experience of their resume arbitrarily, why worry about looking live you've lived those years?

kokopup
06-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Appropriate dress is essential to any job. Before I retired most of my customers would prefer having a gray haired Engineer to a young one anyday. Maybe the BMW salesman needs to be young, but in the Automation engineering industry experience is valued much more than looks.

mruffruff
06-08-2010, 11:57 AM
I must look old 'cause I get the senior discount without anyone asking my age!

I feel better when I put on some make-up and fix my hair. However, I do wear a wash&wear hairstyle and haven't worn a dress or skirt in a dozen years. I hate to even run to the store looking like a slob.

These days everyone seems to be younger than I am.

Cataholic
06-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Someone I know personally (mid 40s) met with her first of two potential plastic surgeons for an 'estimate'. She wants her eye lids done, and gets a chemical peel all thrown in for a little over $5000.00. :eek:

RICHARD
06-08-2010, 12:03 PM
I just don't get it... people going in to have Botox injections every now and again, and worse - facelifts and boob jobs etc..

Randi,

What kind of a job could a boob do?:confused::rolleyes:;)

krazyaboutkatz
06-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Randi,

What kind of a job could a boob do?:confused::rolleyes:;)

Richard you crack me up.:D They'd probably do a better job than some people I know.;)

ChrisH
06-09-2010, 05:25 AM
"Some people, no matter how old they get, never lose their beauty - they merely move it from their faces to their hearts."
Martin Buxbaum

cassiesmom
06-09-2010, 08:06 PM

Lately I'm starting to realize that I am older than other people! For example, I am a LOT older than some of my work training classmates, who just graduated from college a few years ago. On the first day of hospital orientation, one of the trainers shared an anecdote about Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor - a place I remember well from when I was in high school. Almost no one else in the class had ever heard of it! Did I feel old!

We have a team of consultants in our office helping to develop the program for which I and the other trainees have been hired. They wear heels, hose and mostly black suits or dresses. And a LOT of make-up, jewelry, and always nicely manicured nails. I don't have nice clothes and shoes like that. When they're around I always feel ... plain.

K9karen
06-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Yikes! Great topic since I'm on the last of my 50's! :p:rolleyes:

Growing up, I looked so much younger than my age that I used to cry that guys thought I was too young to ask out. Fast forward...I think I look relatively decent, but I agree that illness, stress etc, ages you pretty fast. I see wrinkles and sags that weren't there, well yesterday! :D:D:D:D:D I like my grey hair and I think I take pretty good care of myself. I'm excited that I wake up every day (so far) Things could be a hulluva lot worse.

Marigold2
06-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Someone I know personally (mid 40s) met with her first of two potential plastic surgeons for an 'estimate'. She wants her eye lids done, and gets a chemical peel all thrown in for a little over $5000.00. :eek:

The quote seems a bit high but not outrageously so. I am assuming this is just the Dr’s cost and not the cost for the hospital or anesthesia which is quite a bit more.
It is an out patient surgery, very routine.
Medicare pays for this surgery called ptotis, almost all elderly people have it done as their eyelids droop and it interferes with their vision.
Some people have it done in their 40’s most in their 60’s and 70’s when they notice their vision is obstructed by the drooping lids.
People come into the office and have a visual field done. One test is done with the eyes open as they normally are, the field is then redone with the lids taped up as they would appear after surgery. The test shows how much better the patient can see after the surgery, this info is sent to the insurance company and they decide weather they will pay for the surgery or not. Medicare pays automatically but then audits.
The results are dramatic people are so happy to be able to see again. A good surgeon makes it look like nothing has been done; you don’t have a Kenny Rodgers look, your eyes are just open more.
It makes life so much more enjoyable and safe when people can see to drive, walk, cook, dance, watch TV and just go about their normal business.
Your friend should see if the insurance will cover her surgery, can't hurt to try. The chemical peel is not covered that is just cosmetic.

trayi52
06-10-2010, 01:22 AM
Some people say I don't look my age but I beg to differ with them. I think I do look my age. I know I really feel my age at times. I know with all my health problems, my bi-polar, depression, anixiety, and panic attacks, I really do. Now I am having trouble with my legs, back. I can't even crawl up in a chair, or walk very far at a time. Yep, I look into the mirror and see wrinkles, and have to color my hair!

Willie;)

Asiel
06-10-2010, 07:32 AM
Nothing could ever make me want Botox, I've watched the hell my sis-in-law went through because of something that didn't agree with her system when she had the injections. Myself I don't care what I look like, wrinkles or no wrinkles. Age is a state of mind for me and yes, just a number. As for more energy, I could go for that but it's either there or it isn't. I think it's a matter of what kind of lifestyle someone leads.
I'm here to enjoy another day and that's the main thing for me. If someone wants to wave a magic wand to give be a boost in energy I won't refuse it but heck, I don't even wear makeup except for a light dab of lipstick. It's how I feel about myself on the inside that counts for me.

Cataholic
06-10-2010, 08:28 AM
The quote seems a bit high but not outrageously so. I am assuming this is just the Dr’s cost and not the cost for the hospital or anesthesia which is quite a bit more.
It is an out patient surgery, very routine.
Medicare pays for this surgery called ptotis, almost all elderly people have it done as their eyelids droop and it interferes with their vision.
Some people have it done in their 40’s most in their 60’s and 70’s when they notice their vision is obstructed by the drooping lids.
People come into the office and have a visual field done. One test is done with the eyes open as they normally are, the field is then redone with the lids taped up as they would appear after surgery. The test shows how much better the patient can see after the surgery, this info is sent to the insurance company and they decide weather they will pay for the surgery or not. Medicare pays automatically but then audits.
The results are dramatic people are so happy to be able to see again. A good surgeon makes it look like nothing has been done; you don’t have a Kenny Rodgers look, your eyes are just open more.
It makes life so much more enjoyable and safe when people can see to drive, walk, cook, dance, watch TV and just go about their normal business.
Your friend should see if the insurance will cover her surgery, can't hurt to try. The chemical peel is not covered that is just cosmetic.

The quote included ALL costs, they own their own surgery center...

lizbud
06-10-2010, 09:58 AM
We have a team of consultants in our office helping to develop the program for which I and the other trainees have been hired. They wear heels, hose and mostly black suits or dresses. And a LOT of make-up, jewelry, and always nicely manicured nails. I don't have nice clothes and shoes like that. When they're around I always feel ... plain.

This makes me sad.:( I only "know" you from PT, but think of you as
a kind,thoughtful and caring person. Don't worry to much about the
"outside" things. :)

Bonny
06-10-2010, 12:38 PM
I am up there in age but I can't remember how far.
I really can't see what I look like anymore without my glasses & if I am lucky enough to find them so I can see.
I need a magnifying glass to pluck my eye brows or pull out a sliver
I can only chew on one side of my mouth because the top teeth hurt on the other side.
I find myself eating softer foods & actually apple sauce isn't to bad with a little cinnamon sprinkled on it.
I also find when I get up my knees creak
Large print isn't large enough for me to read anymore it needs to be LARGER THEN LARGE.
I have to be careful when I sneeze because I could pee my old lady bloomers up.
Everyday it is good to eat an apple or orange to stay regular
I really appreciate every sunrise knowing I made to another day. Life is good:D

Marigold2
06-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Bonny with your sense of humor you will NEVER be old.

I just came back from getting my hair cut, it looks so darn cute. I feel younger already.

Marigold2
06-10-2010, 12:45 PM
If it makes her happy I say go for it.

The quote included ALL costs, they own their own surgery center...

M&M's Mommy
06-10-2010, 01:08 PM
I do. But I think as long as I don't FEEL old, I'm okay :)

ChrisH
06-10-2010, 01:56 PM
My personal manifesto

I would never trade friends, my life, my family for less grey hair or a flatter belly. As I've aged, I've become more kind to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend.

I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying something I enjoy. I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant.

I have seen too many leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with ageing.

Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM and sleep until noon?

I will dance with myself to the music I enjoy, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love .. I will.

I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set.They, too, will get old.

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a beloved pet dies? But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning grey, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself any more. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day. (If I feel like it)

Lillycat
06-10-2010, 07:26 PM
ChrisH, I love your post above......think we all should have a copy of it hanging on the wall, just as a reminder of what is important.....sometimes i think we forget.....Thanks!

Daisy and Delilah
06-10-2010, 10:39 PM

Elyse, you should never ever feel plain. You are one of the sweetest ladies I have ever known. Anybody can dress up but not many people can achieve what you do every day in compassion, sensitivity, thoughtfulness, and caring for everyone. You always find the positive in everything. We love you and find you to be very very special!!!!
{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

krazyaboutkatz
06-10-2010, 11:49 PM
Elyse, you should never ever feel plain. You are one of the sweetest ladies I have ever known. Anybody can dress up but not many people can achieve what you do every day in compassion, sensitivity, thoughtfulness, and caring for everyone. You always find the positive in everything. We love you and find you to be very very special!!!!
{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

I agree.:) You're a wonderful lady and I'm very happy to have you as my friend.:)

lizbud
06-11-2010, 10:02 AM
ChrisH, I love your post above......think we all should have a copy of it hanging on the wall, just as a reminder of what is important.....sometimes i think we forget.....Thanks!

I agree.:) I've made a copy to put up in my kitchen, where I can see
it every day.

Thank you Chris :D

Husky_mom
06-11-2010, 11:08 AM
plain is good.. that´s how I like my hamburgers.. plain ;)

but there isn´t anything plain about being plain.. I´ve always been kind of a plain person.. but I´d like to call it honest, sincere, true, or just ME..

yeah there are people all "plumped" up and we sometimes wish we´d look like that... but we should also feel good with what we are and what makes US happy.. I do try sometimes to "plump"up to make the hubs happy.. but I´m happy with just how I am jeans, t shirt, etc... ;) barely use makeup, creams, perfume...all natural.. although time is catching by so I must start doing something or age will catch up and surpass me.. haha.. not that I care much but then the hubs would look younger than me.. lol.. and that ain´t gonna happen..lol

I´ve always been told to look younger.. but the range of the younger years I apparent is getting shorter.. or is it I am getting older.. haha.. who cares.. it all sums up as how you feel inside and are happy with it..

there are somethings I´d like to modify/enhance for sure.. hehe.. but that´s another topic

I love white hair.. in fact I want to dye my hair white.. just haven´t been able to.. tried some toner on my hair but it didn´t do much to it.. I´d need to bleach it but my hair is so fragile it would fall apart.. so I guess I´ll have to hair till I get it by natural means.. lol.. meanwhile I might get it red again..lol

Karen
06-11-2010, 12:06 PM
They wear heels, hose and mostly black suits or dresses. And a LOT of make-up, jewelry, and always nicely manicured nails. I don't have nice clothes and shoes like that. When they're around I always feel ... plain.

Don't feel plain, dear. Feel "real." They're probably jealous that you look as good as you do without a 2-hour morning make-up and hair routine!

ChrisH
06-11-2010, 02:19 PM

I agree.:) I've made a copy to put up in my kitchen, where I can see
it every day.

Thank you Chris :D
You are very welcome ladies. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/grouphug.gif :D

Liz, that's where I keep my copy, on a kitchen cabinet to be exact. :)

slick
06-11-2010, 03:10 PM
I have poked my nose into this thread many times but have not had the time to post.

Chris - :love::love::love: I've seen your picture and you are indeed beautiful. I have printed off that motto and will hang it here at work as well as at home. I think it's wonderful. I take it those are your original words?

I'm will be 58 this year and I think I look 45. Time has been good to me and now that I've lost some weight I think I look terrific. I'm plain jane - no makeup, no colour in my hair or on my nails, no tattoos, no piercings, no pantyhose, no high heels, no perfume - I believe in being as natural as possible and if people don't like it, tough!!!

I'm single and love it. I can choose to do what I please (outside of work time that is) and I can choose who to spend my spare time with. I too, love getting older and I so look forward to turning 65. :)

Do I look old? I don't think so but I'm sure my sagging breasts will argue....:eek::p:)

phesina
06-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Thank you, Slick! You're a sweetie. :)

slick
06-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Thank you, Slick! You're a sweetie. :) Don't blame me. Merlin is turning me into a mushy puddle of sap. All he ever talks about is his undying love for Sparkler whom, by the way, we all think is beautiful too! ;)

Daisy and Delilah
06-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Chris, that is absolutely awesome. Good for you!! That's exactly how I feel. I get tired of people judging my schedule and everything else I do. Just because I'm retired after working for many years, that doesn't mean I have to live like the person thats up at 5 in the morning like I used to be.
We have earned the right to enjoy ourselves to the max!!!:D

ChrisH
06-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Chris ... I take it those are your original words?
No, no, no! Sorry if I gave that impression everyone. :o I found the basis on the net a while ago, can't remember where, then edited it a little to match my personal thoughts .

phesina
06-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Don't blame me. Merlin is turning me into a mushy puddle of sap. All he ever talks about is his undying love for Sparkler whom, by the way, we all think is beautiful too! ;)

Oh, I know how that is.. Sparkler spends so much time just lying around, daydreaming about her Prince Charming. She is so much looking forward to being with him again soon!

lizbud
06-12-2010, 01:19 PM
No, no, no! Sorry if I gave that impression everyone. :o I found the basis on the net a while ago, can't remember where, then edited it a little to match my personal thoughts .

Doesn't matter to me who wrote it. You found it & shared it with us.
I happen to agree with the thoughts & appreciate you sharing them.:)

lbaker
06-12-2010, 01:49 PM
I am now in my 60's and am happy with what I have now. Sometimes I feel like I'm looking especially good and sometimes like I've been "rode hard and put away wet". But I have earned every single one of my wrinkles and dang proud of them. A badge of courage, experience and perseverance as it were

Laurie

ChrisH
06-13-2010, 09:48 AM
Doesn't matter to me who wrote it. You found it & shared it with us.
I happen to agree with the thoughts & appreciate you sharing them.:)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/kiss.gif

I am now in my 60's and am happy with what I have now. Sometimes I feel like I'm looking especially good and sometimes like I've been "rode hard and put away wet". But I have earned every single one of my wrinkles and dang proud of them. A badge of courage, experience and perseverance as it were

Laurie
Good on yer Laurie! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/thumbsup3.gif

I like getting older. It's a good thing, like earning your stripes in life.
Johnny Depp
:)