PDA

View Full Version : Canine Lifesavers / Dog Donors

Freedom
06-04-2010, 02:06 PM
I am cross posting this from another forum, as I think it will be of interest to dog owners on here!

Just reading an article in the June/July issue of the Animal Wellness Magazine that I get and was pleased to read a featured article regarding blood donations for our pets. Given that prior to this article, I hadn't given it much thought, I thought I'd share some of the highlights of the story for you... Am going to look into whether OUR breed [ this is referring to the bichon frise' breed - Sandie ] is able to be part of the process... what a great thing to be able to do....

The 1st nonprofit national blood bank was founded in 1991! There are now a few veterinary blood banks around the country at universities, private clinics and businesses. Interestingly, not all dogs can be donors. Good health is the major key, some groups exclude females if they've had puppies. The average age is between 1.5 - 8 years old, with the ideal being large breeds that have the "universal" blood type (Type O negative, it has all red blood cell surface proteins). Only 40 - 45% have this type blood. Blood banks look for dedicated donor/owners who could donate anywhere between every 8 weeks and 4 months depending on the program. Dogs are usually rewarded with treats, toys or donor bandanas. Their human families benefit as well, many receive savings on their healthcare, and some offer free exams as long as they donate!!

Here's a list of resources if you'd like to read more about it...

www.animalbloodbank.com
www.hemopet.com
www.cvm.tamu.edu
www.vetbloodbank.com