PDA

View Full Version : The Shelter tricked me - Pics included

wanwan1007
06-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to Pet Talk. My name is Wanda. My husband and I adopted a 4 month old puppy from the shelter on 2/26/2010. The shelter told us he was an Alaskan Malamute. Well, I don't think he is an Alaskan Malamute. His name is Tippy. He is the funniest dog with so much personality. Of course it doesn't really matter what he is anymore because he's just mine I love him but I'm curious as to what you think he might be. I'll tell you what my vet thought after I hear your views. I don't want to influence your opinion :D

We had him about 6 weeks when these pics were taken.

wanwan1007
06-03-2010, 08:35 PM
These pics are in the backyard and the breakfast nook where he loves to lay out.

amberlynn
06-03-2010, 09:20 PM
i totally agree with you i dont think that he is alaska malamute...to me he looks more like a collie mix but i cant wait to hear what your vet says i will be waiting

Freedom
06-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Collie mix for sure! Those ears, that muzzle, what a cute face!

What is his name?

Grace
06-03-2010, 09:40 PM
He's adorable. I'm not knowledgeable about breeds, but I would guess collie mix, also. His hair is so soft and silky looking.

chocolatepuppy
06-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Shepherd/Collie mix??? Whatever he is, he sure is CUTE!!!:love:

luvofallhorses
06-03-2010, 10:38 PM
I don't think they tricked you. Some shelters don't know how to identify a breed.. and can only make the best guess and I know that because I work at a shelter. I would guess shepherd/collie as well. Beautiful. :love:

He looks like Bacall a beautiful girl who we listed as shepherd/golden retriever. She probably had some sort of collie in her as well. She got a wonderful home and had an amazing personality!
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/houndlicious/dogcatpix015.jpg

Karen
06-03-2010, 11:41 PM
Shepherd/Border Collie mix. He could be Aussie instead of Border Collie, hard to tell, but I don't see any malamute in him at all! Whatever his mix is, he's a beauty!

Husky_mom
06-04-2010, 08:27 AM
thatīs for sure.. no malamute at all.. even with guessing.. you guess what one dog looks most.. and I see no mal.. lol

shepherd oh yeah.. collie/aussie/bc.. could be.. but no mal..

and a real cutie thatīs for sure!!..

Welcome!! :D

Cinder & Smoke
06-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Malamute :confused:

Well, Anything is possible ... :rolleyes:

BUTT ...

When you're THAT Darn **CUTE** - Who Gives a **HOOT** ?

Call him anything except Homeless or Late for Dinner!

:D

wanwan1007
06-05-2010, 05:13 PM
I think he is a cutie also. His name is Tippy. The vet said he wasn't sure it is hard to tell but he believes that he is collie and shepherd mix. He has SO much personality. He tries to talk a lot and he's very smart (we all think that of our dogs right?). He was housebroken in two weeks.

@Luv I was really only teasing when I said the shelter tricked me...they didn't make me take him home once I saw him it was my choice right? But how could I resist. It was more of a marketing ploy to give the thread more viewers :D. The shelters do the best job they can with limited information. He was found on the street so they really had nothing to work with. I applaud the shelter workers for all of the hard work they do.

OMG, Bacall looks just like TIp. I showed the pic to my husband and he asked when did you take that pic? I said that's not our dog :eek:

lizbud
06-05-2010, 06:39 PM
@Luv I was really only teasing when I said the shelter tricked me...they didn't make me take him home once I saw him it was my choice right? But how could I resist. It was more of a marketing ploy to give the thread more viewers :D.

LOL, it worked with me.:D I guessed Collie/Shep mix too. He sure is a cutie.
Welcome to Pet Talk.:)

king2005
06-07-2010, 06:10 AM
German Shepherd & some kind of English Shepherd type (Aussie/BC/Collie).

Catherinedana
06-08-2010, 08:09 AM
OMG, Bacall looks just like TIp. I showed the pic to my husband and he asked when did you take that pic? I said that's not our dog :eek:

:D That's so funny! They are both such beautiful dogs and they look like they are filled with love and the joy of living. Happy dogs!! yay!!

wolfsoul
07-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Looks like a shepherd/golden/husky mix to me. Definatly not a malamute, I can't believe the shelter said that! I hate it when shelters tell you "exactly" what mix their stray/unknown mix puppies are. So many people are fooled, and when the dog turns out to be twice the size they were told it would be, they need to find a new home for it. I hear of this happening all the time, so sad.
I also don't see any collie; collies have very long thin faces with little to no stop, narrow heads, and narrow highset ears. Your dog definatly has a stop and a very round and wide topskull, with wider-based lowset ears. I had a dog that was 1/2 husky, 1/4 golden, 1/4 shepherd, that looked very very similar to your dog.

Jordan

Daisy and Delilah
07-01-2010, 09:18 PM
He is adorable!!! A real cutie pie!! Congrats!! Welcome to Pet Talk!!:) :) :)

CatsMeow
09-01-2010, 05:15 PM
That's gotta be a Collie\aussie\lab mix.

sasvermont
09-01-2010, 06:36 PM
I say Shep/Golden mix. What a happy, sweet pupster. You won, no matter how you look at it!
;)

Catlady711
09-01-2010, 11:46 PM
Shepherd/Collie mix???

You got it before me. lol

jeselle
10-04-2010, 09:07 AM
looks shepherd collie to me :)

cyber-sibes
10-04-2010, 12:26 PM
guessing shepherd/aussie, maybe a little golden mixed in?
We had adopted a 4 month old puppy who was listed as a "Bernese Mountain Dog", so I read up about them. Um, I don't think she had a drop of Berner in her, LOL! Best guess was rottie/aussie mix. Like you, we loved her to pieces and wouldn't have traded her for the world. Your Tippy is one gorgeous sweetheart!

cassiesmom
10-04-2010, 02:30 PM
What a darling! I love this picture!

http://petoftheday.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=45509&d=1275615260

cyber-sibes
10-04-2010, 07:38 PM
You know, looking at that VERY LARGE pic, I can see a little husky in him. Especially the shape of his eyes - almond, and he has Siberian-style mask-like markings on his face, (seeing the "v" on his head) and his chest markings look like a husky. He's very cute!

Koelim
10-18-2010, 07:57 PM
I actually think he has Saluki in him. His face just looks similar to other Saluki mixes I've encountered. I'm not entirely sure about the other breed in him, but I have some ideas. :P

wanwan1007
10-26-2010, 07:48 PM
I actually think he has Saluki in him. His face just looks similar to other Saluki mixes I've encountered. I'm not entirely sure about the other breed in him, but I have some ideas. :P

What are your ideas? I'm not familiar with the Saluki breed. I'll have to go look it up.

anna_66
10-27-2010, 06:12 AM
I don't know what breed would be in him, but he is BEAUTIFUL!

GoldenLover
10-27-2010, 06:44 AM
I was going to say Collie/Golden mix. You should do one of those DNA test kit things where you can send it in and they can tell you what all's in a mixed breed dog. My friend did it and it was really neat to see all the different breeds that were in her pups

GoldenLover
10-27-2010, 06:46 AM

I'm not seeing the Saluki in him
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Golden_saluki.jpg

IRescue452
10-27-2010, 12:47 PM
That's one adorable dog! and this is an old thread. I don't think there are too many salukis running around the streets having stray puppies. The only time I see uncommon breeds in mixes is when a breeder is nearby. Even if its a show dog breeder, their dogs still make it into the mix because they can't monitor every person who buys from them.

cassiesmom
10-27-2010, 01:46 PM
Wanwan, how is Tippy? I still think, whatever breed or breeds he is, he is definitely beautiful! Could you please give him a big hug from me?

robinh
10-28-2010, 05:56 PM
Hmmmmmm

I'm thinking he's an Adorable Keeper.
:D

wanwan1007
10-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Cassiesmom Tippy is great thank you for asking. Thanks for all the compliments. He is a gem. I truly enjoy Tippy.

wallyblue
01-21-2011, 08:51 AM
In my experience, most shelter don't know how to identify breeds very well. It always seems that they pick out one characteristic and go with that as the dominant breed trait. Most of the time when the dog gets older people find that it is a mix of whatever breed the pet store told them. dog obedience (http://www.thedogtrainingsecret.com/DogObedienceTraining/)

ryansjones
02-17-2011, 01:35 AM
I wonder if he would be considered an Alaskan Husk?. I remember when I went on a cruise to Alaska last summer, during the stop in Skagway, I visited a musher camp (at the Klondike Gold Fields museum) and saw a bunch of alaskan huskies, which are a basically hybrids of sibs, malamutes, german shepards and several other breeds.

Taz_Zoee
02-17-2011, 09:39 AM
Since this was bumped up I revisited the entire thread. I also agree that Tippy is just adorable.
When I first got Taggart several people (including some at the vets office) said he was a Great Pyrenees and Australian Shepherd. Simply because he had four dew claws. Taggart doesn't even weigh 50 pounds soaking wet. There is NO way he has GP in him. If he does it's a teeny tiny bit. I still don't know what mix he is, so I just call him an Aussie mix. Much easier to do since I have a pure bred Aussie too. :)

wanwan1007
02-17-2011, 03:42 PM
I wonder if he would be considered an Alaskan Husk?. I remember when I went on a cruise to Alaska last summer, during the stop in Skagway, I visited a musher camp (at the Klondike Gold Fields museum) and saw a bunch of alaskan huskies, which are a basically hybrids of sibs, malamutes, german shepards and several other breeds.

I went on a cruise to Alaska in 2002. I went to Skagway too but I didn't know about the musher camp. It sounds interesting. Do you think Tippy looked like any of those dogs?

wanwan1007
02-17-2011, 03:43 PM
Since this was bumped up I revisited the entire thread. I also agree that Tippy is just adorable.
When I first got Taggart several people (including some at the vets office) said he was a Great Pyrenees and Australian Shepherd. Simply because he had four dew claws. Taggart doesn't even weigh 50 pounds soaking wet. There is NO way he has GP in him. If he does it's a teeny tiny bit. I still don't know what mix he is, so I just call him an Aussie mix. Much easier to do since I have a pure bred Aussie too. :)

I thought Tip was going to be a really BIG dog since they said he was Alaskan Malamute. He's a good size but not a Malamute size. He weighed 52lbs at his last vet appointment.

lvpets2002
02-17-2011, 03:48 PM
:) Hey I think Tip is for sure a Very Handsome Gent.. You need to tell the Shelter Many Thanks for the trick they played..

I thought Tip was going to be a really BIG dog since they said he was Alaskan Malamute. He's a good size but not a Malamute size. He weighed 52lbs at his last vet appointment.

wanwan1007
02-17-2011, 10:16 PM
:) Hey I think Tip is for sure a Very Handsome Gent.. You need to tell the Shelter Many Thanks for the trick they played..

Very true, he is one of the best presents I've had in a long time :D

lvpets2002
02-18-2011, 12:37 PM
:) Now dont forget the love for your hubby.. :D

Very true, he is one of the best presents I've had in a long time :D

wanwan1007
02-18-2011, 01:26 PM
:) Now dont forget the love for your hubby.. :D

LOL...I have much luv for the hubby. I just got Tip last year. I've had the hubby for a while so that's why I said "Tip is one of the best presents I've had in a long time".

janetmarston
03-31-2011, 12:10 PM
looks like a part malamute - as long as you love him and he loves you, that's all that matters