PDA

View Full Version : Having problems with training my new pupster

sasvermont
06-03-2010, 08:34 AM
Well, it seems that Prue, my new puppy has issues with food. She is just not food oriented. How can I train her, if she doesn't care much about food? She eats her regular grub very slowly and is not interested in treats. She takes them (the treats) and hides them, maybe eating them a little later. I have given her many different kinds of treats. I have given her people food as treats and she gets diarhirra (sp)... from the change in diet. She is a lovely puppy so far but I had better start training her or it is going to be more difficult later on. What can I use instead of food? Love and kisses only goes so far. She gets that already.

I am having issues with her coming to me when she is off leash. She thinks its a game and runs all over the place. Finally, after threatening her life, she will lay flat on the ground so I can clip her to her lead. Have I taken her off the lead too soon? She loves to run...and I have plenty of property. But when it is time to come inside or in the car, she runs like a little devil.

Prue is 16 weeks old now.

Thanks doggie people.

Freedom
06-03-2010, 09:00 AM
First, how much you are feeding her? She needs to feel a bit hungrier than she does, as this "may" help her want the treats.

Some dogs just aren't food oriented. The praise and petting does it for them.

Boiled chicken breast, string cheese and hot dog are the high value treats I use. Did you know you can cut a hot dog into 77 pieces? No, I can't, but that is what my trainer does. I manage about 60. Small bits! And if you really want to reward something, give 2 or 3; this assumes these actually WORK with your Prue.

If not, then you need to emphasize that YOU are the pack leader; that all good things come from you. She can not get in your lap unless invited; she can not get up on a chair unless invited. These steps help her understand you are the alpha, and she will want to please YOU. We do this all the time with training, but it is more important with the non food oriented puppers.

Finally, she IS still a puppy! A baby, really. Can you do a play time / exercise run or walk before working on training issues? If she is tired, that will help her focus. But at 16 weeks, focus is NOT in her vocabulary yet, lol.

Oh, and just wait until she hits the rebellious teenager stage! He hee, enjoy the fun, don't stress too much, sounds like you are on track.

Shelteez2
06-03-2010, 09:05 AM
Have you tried using cheese? Soft and stinky treats are the best. I used chicken breast poached in garlic water. Since it's chicken breast it is pretty bland on thier bellies, but the garlic makes it smelly. The size of treat should be about the size of a pea, something she can just swallow immediately, not have to take the time to chew it.
As for not coming when called, yes you have let her off leash way too early. All you're teaching her is that she doesn't have to come when called, and that she can ignore you until you get the angry tone of voice. I would get a light weight long line to put on her so that you can grab her and reel her in. You can either buy one or you can make one really cheaply. Just go to the hardware store and buy a leash clasp, then buy some light weight rope and tie it on.
Also it is important that you don't always call her to you and then end her fun. So practice calling her and when she gets to you tell her good girl and release her to go play again.
Good luck!

sasvermont
06-03-2010, 11:22 PM
For the last couple of days, I have put her back on the leash. It is much easier for the both of us.

I will do the cheese thing, for sure. I suspect cheese is binding for dogs, and that is what I need. Hot dogs would work too.....and little, little pieces. Maybe she won't walk away and eat it later if the bits are small enough.

Prue is smart, but not focused. She doesn't have the best nose quite yet. She can retrieve and that's about it. Oh, and she knows her name.

I am on a weird schedule and going to training classes just wouldn't work. I have about 10 books on training, and have yet to find anything about a dog that isn't too keen on food as treats. Maybe I should be reading between the lines.

Cheese and hot dogs it is. Wish me luck.

Prue is a brave little thing - smart - sweet - not shy, but not aggressive either - she loves kids, really loves them - she plays nicely with other dogs and cats- is timid around strangers at first - I can just tell that she will be a great dog with a little training. I love her puppy like behavior and will miss it, but yet I want her to be able to be left in the house without having to confine her....

MonicanHonda
06-04-2010, 12:19 AM
Try hot dogs with garlic salt sprinkled on and nuked for a few seconds. Tiny tiny little pieces. And if food doesn't work, how about toy motivation? At 16 weeks, your pup should already be learning commands and in a puppy class. I would look into clicker training... that may help? Check out kikopup on youtube. She has some AWESOME videos. Or just type in clicker training in youtube. It really has done wonders for the amount Delta has learned.

Karen
06-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Avoid garlic, it's not good for dogs.

Does she react at all to squeaky toys? Having a toy to squeak when she does something right works for some dogs that just are not food motivated, which can be a good thing, in later life, if you are trying to control weight issues.

MonicanHonda
06-04-2010, 11:28 PM
In excess garlic isn't good for them. There are many flea repellents out that use garlic.

I suppose it's personal preference... there are many readings that say it's bad and many that say it isn't when given a correct amount. You just have to be aware of the amount you're feeding.