PDA

View Full Version : Bugles Across America.

RICHARD
05-31-2010, 06:05 PM
http://fns.blogs.foxnews.com/2009/09/02/power-player-tom-daybugles-across-america/

http://www.buglesacrossamerica.org/Pages/default.aspx

Taps-

Day is done, gone the sun,
From the lake, from the hills, from the sky;
All is well, safely rest, God is nigh.

Fading light, dims the sight,
And a star gems the sky, gleaming bright.
From afar, drawing nigh, falls the night.

Thanks and praise, for our days,
'Neath the sun, 'neath the stars, neath the sky;
As we go, this we know, God is nigh.

Sun has set, shadows come,
Time has fled, Scouts must go to their beds
Always true to the promise that they made.

While the light fades from sight,
And the stars gleaming rays softly send,
To thy hands we our souls, Lord, commend.

----------------------

Laura's Babies
05-31-2010, 06:17 PM
AWESOME Richard! Thanks!

Bonny
06-01-2010, 07:55 AM
Thank you Richard. Thirty years ago our brother in law passed away & they played taps at his funeral. It made a person weak in the knees & I remember the taps player was hidden behind some evergreen trees & our nephews were all young then & were curious to where the sound was coming from & started to look for the taps player. Taps always brings tears to the eyes.

Sirrahsim
06-01-2010, 09:10 AM
That is a really awesome!

I have to admit that when I read the title I read it as "BULGES" across America and thought it was going to be some sort of comment on obesity:p:eek:

RICHARD
06-01-2010, 12:22 PM
That is a really awesome!

I have to admit that when I read the title I read it as "BULGES" across America and thought it was going to be some sort of comment on obesity:p:eek:

Or the Buggles?;)

-----------

I have to say something about the words to Taps.

I am glad that hardly anyone knows that there are lyrics to the music.

Can you imagine some yoyo wanting Taps to be banned because the word "god" is used and we
have to separate 'church and state'.

The thought scares and irritates me.

As you all know, the separation of C+S trumps all, but to mess with a tradition that honors the end of the day and our fallen soldiers is too much to contemplate.

For me? Sadly, I'd love for the public to remain blissfully ignorant of the news.:(

moosmom
06-01-2010, 01:52 PM
That's despicable that someone wouldn't want it played because the word God is in it. Know what I say to that??? During the 21 gun salute, don't point to the sky. Get my drift???

RICHARD
06-01-2010, 01:58 PM
That's despicable that someone wouldn't want it played because the word God is in it. Know what I say to that??? During the 21 gun salute, don't point to the sky. Get my drift???

Yes, it's sad.

Let's keep it under our hats!:(

Karen
06-01-2010, 02:22 PM
I have known the first verse since childhood. Traditionally, there are two buglers, or trumpeters. One is nearby and within sight, the other is farther away, hidden and uses a mute. The second waits until the first is done, and the is the "echo."

Both my brothers are trumpeters, so usually at the cemetery stops during Memorial Day parades in which I participated, I knew one of the two players.

Edwina's Secretary
06-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Or the Buggles?;)

-----------

I have to say something about the words to Taps.

I am glad that hardly anyone knows that there are lyrics to the music.

WHAT???? Hardly anyone knows the words??? I have, like most Americans, known the first two verses since I was a very young child. I learned it at summer camp.

Heck, we learned the song and the "Native American" hand signs that went with it.

Honestly...<head shake>>

Catlady711
06-10-2010, 10:54 PM
WHAT???? Hardly anyone knows the words??? I have, like most Americans, known the first two verses since I was a very young child. I learned it at summer camp.

Heck, we learned the song and the "Native American" hand signs that went with it.

Honestly...<head shake>>

I always knew the first whole verse, we used to sing it at summer camp every night at the flag lowering ceremony. However we never learned hand signs to go with it.

*eta, I consider this the first whole verse;
Day is done, gone the sun,
From the lake, from the hills, from the sky;
All is well, safely rest, God is nigh.