PDA

View Full Version : World Cup 2010.

RICHARD
05-30-2010, 06:53 PM
So, come on.

Pick your teams and let's go.

I love the WC -I am not a soccer fan, per se, but I had tons of fun when it was held in the U.S.

Off the top?

Let's have a trouble free event and I have to laugh about what the head of security in South Africa said about having the U.S. advance from their grouping.

He wanted the U.S. to crap out early because the rumor was that security was going to be difficult- the prez of the U.S. was to attend the event if the team advanced.

Hmmmmm,

I want us to advance, but why not send Joe Biden or Nancy Pelosi if there is any danger to be anticipated?

I digress.

11 days.....Waka, Waka!

Karen
05-30-2010, 08:13 PM
After the US, I am obligated to root for Argentina, because of my Argentina friend. But if I am at a certain sandwich shop, I know enough to comment on how Brazil is doing ... makes living in a culturally diverse metropolitan area interesting at WC time!

RICHARD
06-12-2010, 10:24 PM
Good day today.

Thank you Soccer Jesus for giving the U.S. a tie.
The late game is the Aussies and the Germans!:D

kitten645
06-13-2010, 07:33 AM
Argentina for me too! My family is from there. Go USA too.!
Claudia

Kirsten
06-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Germany vs. Australia 4-0 tonight!! Yay!!! :D Awesome match!! :D :D :D

Ha ha, right now, you can hear people blowing the horns of their cars outside, a habit that started during the World Cup in Germany 2006.

RICHARD
06-13-2010, 04:37 PM
Germany vs. Australia 4-0 tonight!! Yay!!! :D Awesome match!! :D :D :D

Ha ha, right now, you can hear people blowing the horns of their cars outside, a habit that started during the World Cup in Germany 2006.

You are in for a month long treat!:D

Italy and Paraguay tomorrow.:)

Kirsten
06-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Well, I have to say... most matches I saw so far were not so great. Top teams like Portugal, Brazil, England or Italy showed a surprisingly poor performance.

I may be biased, but the Germans were the best team so far! :p

Kirsten

RICHARD
06-15-2010, 03:54 PM

Kirsten

Why doesn't that surprise me?;)

Pool play always is slow at the beginning....hang on, the best is yet to come.

-----------------

One of the neatest things is to listen/watch the games in espanol!

One announcer described a goalie like this...

(the goalie wore a yellow jersey)

The goalie looked like a canary as he hopped from stick to stick during the game.

The stick being the upright goal posts.

Very descriptive and funny.:D

Sonia59
06-15-2010, 04:10 PM

Kirsten

No, I agree with you :)

Kirsten
06-16-2010, 11:20 AM
Wow, Spain was defeated by Switzerland... :eek:

carole
06-16-2010, 09:29 PM
yahoo the NZ team the All whites, have a point, first time ever in a long time, or ever for NZ,we are up against Italy next, that will be a toughie, they are really really good,there were many big celebrations down under .

go kiwis, go kiwis lol.:D

RICHARD
06-16-2010, 11:08 PM
yahoo the NZ team the All whites, have a point, first time ever in a long time, or ever for NZ,we are up against Italy next, that will be a toughie, they are really really good,there were many big celebrations down under .

go kiwis, go kiwis lol.:D

Carole,

I have to say something here and it's funny, don't worry.

Here in the U.S. there would be a GIANT uproar should a team be named the "All Whites".

I watch all kinds of sports and catch the Aussie Rules Football and Rugby games/matches when I can.

I do love the names of the teams down there because the names would cause turmoil here in the States.

The name of the team could be derived from the kind of foot fungus found in the locker room showers, yet, some idiotic club/organization/action group would try to make it into a racial, stereotypical or gender based protest.:rolleyes:

Go NZ!!!!:)

carole
06-16-2010, 11:10 PM
Really, well i guess it will happen here in time, we have the famous all blacks too Richard, and they are mostly darker skinned people, and remember i am not an Aussie matey, a kiwi remember that won't you?:D

RICHARD
06-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Really, well i guess it will happen here in time, we have the famous all blacks too Richard, and they are mostly darker skinned people, and remember i am not an Aussie matey, a kiwi remember that won't you?:D

Yes, I remember!

It was just a general comment about the "way things are" in your part of the world.

If I offend in some other way?

Talk to Wom, he's closer to you!:eek:;):D

-----------

Mexico and France, later on!!

Husky_mom
06-17-2010, 09:23 AM
The name of the team could be derived from the kind of foot fungus found in the locker room showers, yet, some idiotic club/organization/action group would try to make it into a racial, stereotypical or gender based protest.:rolleyes:

tell me about it.. haha...

back on topic.. since this cup has had many surprises (big teams being defeated).. maybe it´s a chance for us to beat the french.. again...haha... only this time in a soccer match.. lol

smokey the elder
06-17-2010, 10:53 AM
First WC hat trick in 8 years, by Argentina! USA needs to beat Slovenia to not be eliminated...GO USA!

They have a TV up in our cafeteria so folks can watch the World Cup at lunch and on breaks...how cool is that?

RICHARD
06-17-2010, 11:38 AM
First WC hat trick in 8 years, by Argentina! USA needs to beat Slovenia to not be eliminated...GO USA!

They have a TV up in our cafeteria so folks can watch the World Cup at lunch and on breaks...how cool is that?

Tune up the zuzuvela and see how it goes?:D

If the US makes it to 2nd place in the pool they will play the D Group first place team on the 27th. If they win the C pool, they play the D pool second place team on the 26th.

maybe it´s a chance for us to beat the french.. again...haha...

Las cosas que no se olvidan?!?!?!?!?!?:D

Arriba Mexico.:)

RICHARD
06-17-2010, 02:52 PM
Lololol, look at those crazy mexicans...

;)

RICHARD
06-17-2010, 03:05 PM

Kirsten
06-17-2010, 03:08 PM

Can't believe it, France is more or less out of the tournament! :eek:

Husky_mom
06-17-2010, 03:47 PM
yay!!!.. hahaha.. yeah.. we´re kinda crazy ain´t we?.. lol..

people is gonna go nuts here.. everywhere!!.. awesome win!

Kirsten
06-17-2010, 03:56 PM
yay!!!.. hahaha.. yeah.. we´re kinda crazy ain´t we?.. lol..

people is gonna go nuts here.. everywhere!!.. awesome win!

Isn't it just cool when the entire country is celebrating? Enjoy!! :)

(Hope it's gonna be the same for us tomorrow)

Kirsten

RICHARD
06-17-2010, 04:49 PM
Isn't it just cool when the entire country is celebrating? Enjoy!! :)

(Hope it's gonna be the same for us tomorrow)

Kirsten

That is what makes it more fun....when the giants fall.:D

I have to wake up early tomorrow.

Good Luck.

LOCA?

Con sabor!

kitten645
06-17-2010, 08:31 PM
Argentina is kicking ass and takin names...LOL! Fingers crossed they keep it up!:love:

Kirsten
06-18-2010, 04:40 AM
Germany vs. Serbia, only two hours to go....

Can't wait! :)

Sonia59
06-18-2010, 04:44 AM
Most French supporters expected yesterday results. These players have no team spirit and do not seem motivated to win, so what we saw on the field yesterday against Mexico was a good reflection of this! Honestly, I think they deserved it! I remember some interviews after they lost a match, and they were saying things like "well, we did not do so bad after all,... there is some potential in the team, just wait the next match..."! Not at all the winner attitude!
Well, let's see if we can have a better team next time :rolleyes:

Kirsten
06-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Sonia, I hear you, my deepest sympathy for your country! :(

We also got a huge downer today, 0-1 vs. Serbia, and what a frustrating game it was! First, there was no way for the German team to break the Serbian defenses, especially with a referee that was more than generous with yellow cards. Then Klose being sent off, the Serbian goal only a couple of minutes later... Second half, no luck for Podolski, he even failed with the penalty...

No celebrating in the streets here today! :eek:

Husky_mom
06-18-2010, 10:18 AM
yet another shock.. after Germany´s first awesome win.. nobody expected this today.. Germany has always been a tops of my list..

Kirsten
06-18-2010, 10:47 AM
Geez, I was keeping my fingers crossed for the US team now and cannot see why their third goal did not count! :(

What a frustrating day!

RICHARD
06-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Geez, I was keeping my fingers crossed for the US team now and cannot see why their third goal did not count! :(

What a frustrating day!

Wow, The U.S. has NEVER won a game in which they have trailed, since 1930.

:eek:

RICHARD
06-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Is Carole breathing?

Oops!

IT's 4:00 a.m., her time.

She'll wake up to some good news.

Kirsten
06-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Wow, Italy - New Zealand 1-1, amazing!!!

Carole, is your country celebrating? :D

But what a strange World Cup this is! So many of the top teams are having such a rough time! :rolleyes:

carole
06-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Is our country celebrating?hmm is the pope Catholic?

Oh my gosh i can hardly believe this result, we sure have upset the applecart over there, even our prime minister was there to watch the game and is estatic.

We are a team to be watched for sure, thanks for the news, i did only hear on the telly this morning, i kinda wish i had watched the game, not a big sports fan, but this is big in anyones books.

GO KIWIS.

and GOOD LUCK to everyone on PT ,hoping their countries do well, except if they are playing against us of course lol.:D

Kirsten
06-20-2010, 03:37 PM
i kinda wish i had watched the game, not a big sports fan, but this is big in anyones books.

Carole, I wish you had seen it, it was awesome, especially when NZ gained the 1-0 lead! I was like "wow, if they're going to defeat Italy, that would be one stunning moment of the tournament, a historical event". But even a draw is great, I think.

we sure have upset the applecart over there, even our prime minister was there to watch the game and is estatic.

This is what I love about events like the World Cup, that it's touching so many people world-wide. :)

carole
06-20-2010, 07:14 PM
Kirsten it is HUGE here what has happened, even the British media called us the no-hopers,a real historic event in sport for sure, i do wish i had seen it, i have seen the replays,but it is not quite the same, i hope my son watched it live as he is such a sports fan, and he would have enjoyed it so much.

We just have to keep our fingers crossed we can do it again, with Paraquay (sp), i hear they are a pretty strong team, but then look at Italy, the champs,were never expecting us lil kiwis to do so well.

Our joy might only be short-lived, but it is a real nice twist in the events isn't it?

Yes Kirsten i agree, it is neat to see this sport event touching so many worldwide, i wish i had put a bet on at the Tab , i could have made a nice little nest egg, lol, oh well not much of a gambler .

smokey the elder
06-21-2010, 07:51 AM
And FIFA wonders why Americans hate soccer...http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/soccer/world-cup-2010/writers/peter_king/06/18/slovenia.usa/1.html

RICHARD
06-21-2010, 10:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B2LPxggvqY&feature=player_embedded

Gandalf goes to the WC?

RICHARD
06-22-2010, 08:47 AM
It's a Group "A" show down.

HuskyMom,

DO you have your vuvuzela?:D

Kirsten
06-22-2010, 11:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B2LPxggvqY&feature=player_embedded

Gandalf goes to the WC?

ROTF!! :D This is hilarious!

Yes, Group A is done now, too sad that South Africa is out of the tournament!

But geez, what has happened to the vice champion, France? :rolleyes: Today, it's Adieu les Bleus! (sorry, Sonia! ;))

Husky_mom
06-22-2010, 11:44 AM
we passed.. as we say "de panzazo".. hahaha.. (barely).. the tough comes now.. as we go agains Argentina.. oh my... this looks quite hard to beat.. but hey.. we beat France.. so nothings impossible.. lol..

Kirsten
06-22-2010, 11:53 AM
we passed.. as we say "de panzazo".. hahaha.. (barely).. the tough comes now.. as we go agains Argentina.. oh my... this looks quite hard to beat.. but hey.. we beat France.. so nothings impossible.. lol..

Well, in 2006, Germany beat Argentina in the quarter final, so it's possible! :)

Sonia59
06-22-2010, 03:11 PM
ROTF!! :D This is hilarious!

Yes, Group A is done now, too sad that South Africa is out of the tournament!

But geez, what has happened to the vice champion, France? :rolleyes: Today, it's Adieu les Bleus! (sorry, Sonia! ;))

No problem ;), it was not a team, they even don't know the national anthem and it seems they forgot what wearing the blue shirt means. It's a pity, also for Ireland which should have been qualified instead of France. Now we can enjoy watching the games from better countries, with players who are happy to be here :)

Kirsten
06-23-2010, 07:14 AM
Tonight, it's Germany vs. Ghana, and my entire country is nervous and worried, especially because of the referee. Some of the referees' decisions were more than odd in this tournament, and people here fear that the FIFA wants to keep at least one African team in the World Cup - which would be Ghana. And that would mean Germany's out. I hope our team is strong enough to deal with this situation.

Kirsten

RICHARD
06-23-2010, 09:01 AM
Ruede la pelota!!!!

:D

RICHARD
06-23-2010, 10:50 AM
gggggggggggggggggooooooooooooooooooooooollllllllll lllllllllllllllllllllll

nuf said!

Kirsten
06-23-2010, 10:53 AM
gggggggggggggggggooooooooooooooooooooooollllllllll lllllllllllllllllllllll

nuf said!

Awesome!!! :)

Congrats to the USA and England for reaching the round of sixteen! :D

RICHARD
06-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Awesome!!! :)

Congrats to the USA and England for reaching the round of sixteen! :D

Was that a game?

Wow..........Thanks.

Now, on to the P.M. games.....

Good Luck to Germany and the Aussies!:)

Kirsten
06-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Good Luck to Germany and the Aussies!

Thanks!! :)

RICHARD
06-23-2010, 11:43 AM
O.K.,

Now that I have calmed down I have to say that I have disliked Landon Donovan for a while.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1614/americans-abroad/2009/01/30/1084797/the-short-list-why-some-people-dont-like-donovan

2. The Urination Incident In Mexico
Back in 2004, Landon relieved himself on the field at Estadio Jalisco while preparing for an international match.

I can understand why this would make people not like Donovan as a person. It was a disrespectful move by all accounts. As such, I think we should all criticize him as a player.

Honestly, as a follower of the sport, I think that any person who would do such a despicable thing should be thought of as no more than a menace to the game and a marginal player. Think about all of the things he could’ve done, like getting arrested for drinking and driving, sexual assault, or being at a hotel with transvestites. Those things certainly would’ve been much less harmful to his image.

I may forgive him in the near future, but even I found that a bit distasteful.

RICHARD
06-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Hey, Kirsten.....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100623/od_afp/germanyanimaloffbeatfblwc2010gergha

But, with all those legs? Can he dribble?;)

Kirsten
06-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Oh wow, that's hilarious! LOL What did he predict for tonight? :D

Anyway, I hope we will win so I can hear some celebrating in the streets tonight. We didn't have much of it yet (except for the night after the Australia match). There was this frustrating Serbia match on Friday, and also the Italian community was quiet so far as they didn't have much reason to celebrate. And the Turkish team (we have many Turkish people here) hasn't even qualified for the WC.

However, I heard someone blowing a car horn outside this afternoon after the USA has won their match. :D

RICHARD
06-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Oh wow, that's hilarious! LOL What did he predict for tonight? :D

However, I heard someone blowing a car horn outside this afternoon after the USA has won their match. :D

I was in the garden and heard it on the radio.

I was laughing and had to come in and look for the story to post it for you.

I didn't hear the prediction, I wanted to be surprised.;)

I hope you get to hear noise and more noise.

Kirsten
06-23-2010, 02:18 PM
No noise so far! :( Still no goals after 45 minutes. This match is getting on my nerves! LOL

Kirsten
06-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Phew, it's done!!! That was a tough job! Thank you, Mesud Özil!!! :D

Now the vuvuzelas outside are starting to sing... ;)

RICHARD
06-23-2010, 03:25 PM
No noise so far! :( Still no goals after 45 minutes. This match is getting on my nerves! LOL

I was hoping for a German win.

That way we don't have to play you guys on Saturday!;):)

Congrats and make some noise!

I wonder what Paul the Octopus has to say about the next game..:confused:;)

Kirsten
06-23-2010, 03:28 PM
I was hoping for a German win.

That way we don't have to play you guys on Saturday!;):)

Congrats and make some noise!

I wonder what Paul the Octopus has to say about the next game..:confused:;)

Thanks! :)

Yeah, now the US will have to play Ghana on Saturday and my team will play England on Sunday! :)

Oh, I'm sure Paul the British Octopus will be in a severe inner conflict the next time! ;)

RICHARD
06-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Thanks! :)

Oh, I'm sure Paul the British Octopus will be in a severe inner conflict the next time! ;)

Thanks for pointing that out........I missed it.

Have a fun time tonight, Tomorrow we will worry about the weekend!

:D

THe first time we have won a group since 1930!!!!:eek:

-----------

With all the excitement I forgot about the Aussies win!

Congrats to them, also!

Karen
06-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Pretty exciting, I don't expect the Americans to win the World Cup, but advancing out of the first round is a great leap!

Kirsten
06-23-2010, 04:00 PM
Oh, people are making a lot of noise outside right now. Blowing their vuvuzelas and the horns of their cars, shouting "Deutschland" (Germany) and "Özil" (the goal scorer). Guess there's going to be party all over the country tonight. :D

But yes, tomorrow, we can start worrying about the weekend! :cool:

carole
06-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Well done Germany and the USA,good luck everyone,oops nearly forgot the Aussies, where are you Wombat, are you not watching the games,? watch out for the kiwis and paraquay on Friday, it will air live 2am here, no i won't be watching but my son will.

RICHARD
06-23-2010, 10:21 PM
Well done Germany and the USA,good luck everyone,oops nearly forgot the Aussies, where are you Wombat, are you not watching the games,? watch out for the kiwis and paraquay on Friday, it will air live 2am here, no i won't be watching but my son will.

Good Luck, I'll watch the game for you!:D

RICHARD
06-24-2010, 10:55 AM
WOW!

What a couple of games...

The Slovak/Italy game was a barn burner!!!!!

Tie for New Zealand!:D

Kirsten
06-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Wow, Italy's out! They fought bravely in the end, I almost feel sorry for them (but I haven't forgotten the semi final of 2006 :D). However, it's been a very emotional match!

Sorry, Carole, that New Zealand's 0:0 wasn't enough... I was keeping my fingers crossed for your team!

carole
06-24-2010, 07:16 PM
Alas the dream is over for the kiwis, still we can hold our heads high on this one i think, beating Italy and a draw with Paraquay, our guy's should not be too upset, the captain of the team is gutted and seemed very emotional on his interview.

Did you see all the big stink at the end of our game, one of our guys wanted to hug his family in the audience, and they would not let him, yet previously they had done that, security were not having a bar of it, they finally let him in the end, and we of course were not allowed to perform our traditional HAKA, which is really for the kiwi fans,talk about over the top, even the guys came out in their riot gear, boo South Africa, where is your fun spirit?

I noticed our guys were wearing black when playing, hmm as a colour co-ordinated female here, that is where they went wrong, after all they are called the all-whites and wore white for the other game lol.:D

Well kirsten i see Germany is playing England, good luck, sorry but my loyalties have to lie with the Brits, being originally from the UK,but may the best man win as the saying goes.

I have not been following the games too much, so tell me is USA still in with a chance, and Aussie?

Husky_mom
06-24-2010, 07:55 PM
Well, in 2006, Germany beat Argentina in the quarter final, so it's possible! :)

well yeah... but we´re talking GERMANY.. not Mexico.. lol.. Germany is right there in the tops.. along with Argentina, Brazil, Netherlands, England, France and Italy (the last two severely plunged down this time) in my book..

Alysser
06-24-2010, 10:19 PM
I finally got my Italy Jersey in the mail on the day Italy is eliminated :p Well, at least it looks nice. :rolleyes:

smokey the elder
06-25-2010, 09:34 AM
USA made it to Round 2, beating Algeria in stoppage time!

Catty1
06-25-2010, 01:54 PM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100625/world/eu_germany_vuvuzela_violence

Police: Vuvuzela noise drives an American nuts

Fri Jun 25, 10:50 AM

By The Associated Press

BERLIN - German police say an American got so fed up with the constant mosquito-like droning from his neighbours' vuvuzela plastic horns that he threatened to kill them with an axe.

Police in the Bavarian city of Weiden said Friday the 45-year-old man confronted his neighbours during Thursday's Netherlands-Cameroon World Cup game wielding the axe.

They said he was so sick of the constant buzzing and honking from the vuvuzelas since the tournament began that he screamed: "I will kill you," and then returned home.

German authorities took the U.S. Army civilian employee into custody and turned him over to U.S. military police. The military says he has been released and the matter is in German hands.

Prosecutors are investigating whether to charge the man, whose name was not released, with making a threat and slander for allegedly calling his neighbours names.

The cheap, meter (yard)-long vuvuzela trumpets have become a side story of the World Cup in South Africa, where their buzzing has been the backdrop to every match.

Players have been criticizing the noise because they find it difficult to take advice from the bench, and visiting fans have no chance for community singing amid the noise.

A French cable TV channel even offers vuvuzela-free broadcasts for all World Cup matches, with the trumpets digitally tuned out.

Defenders include FIFA President Sepp Blatter, Nobel Peace Prize winner Archbishop Desmond Tutu — and masses of South African football fans.

The trumpets were first produced and marketed in 2001 by South African Neil Van Schalkwyk, who still owns the rights to the vuvuzela name. His latest innovation is to sell each with a pair of earplugs included.

Kirsten
06-26-2010, 11:42 AM
Candace, I heard about that incident in the news yesterday! :D Someone in my neighborhood is also blowing a vuvuzela all the time, but so far, I don't feel the need to kill that person! ;)

I finally got my Italy Jersey in the mail on the day Italy is eliminated Well, at least it looks nice.

Oh, that is amost bittersweet! I'm sorry!

Well kirsten i see Germany is playing England, good luck, sorry but my loyalties have to lie with the Brits, being originally from the UK,but may the best man win as the saying goes.

No problem! :)

Well, tonight, the USA will play Ghana, and I will keep my fingers crossed for the US-team!

Richard, guess what, Paul the Octopus has predicted that Germany will win the match tomorrow. Hope he's right! :D He was even on the news today! LOL

RICHARD
06-26-2010, 02:48 PM
Kirsten,

If you made a money bet, I get a percentage!:D

Kirsten
06-26-2010, 02:50 PM
Kirsten,

If you made a money bet, I get a percentage!:D

My bet was 2:1, but not for money! :p

RICHARD
06-26-2010, 03:05 PM
My bet was 2:1, but not for money! :p

Chocolate?:D

Kirsten
06-26-2010, 03:30 PM
Chocolate?:D

1:2, there goes my bet... :rolleyes:

RICHARD
06-26-2010, 03:50 PM
1:2, there goes my bet... :rolleyes:

The fat lady has not sung yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_ain%27t_over_%27til_the_fat_lady_sings

Kirsten
06-26-2010, 04:03 PM
Ahh, I'm sorry that the US team hasn't made it. I mean, it's great for Africa that an African team is still in the tournament, but I was keeping my fingers crossed for the USA 'cause I have so many American friends here. :(

RICHARD
06-26-2010, 04:24 PM
Ahh, I'm sorry that the US team hasn't made it. I mean, it's great for Africa that an African team is still in the tournament, but I was keeping my fingers crossed for the USA 'cause I have so many American friends here. :(

I hate to do the "sour grapes" thing....

I think the officiating was a little off.

Oh well, I still have Mexico and Los Alemanes to root for!:)

Kirsten
06-27-2010, 08:57 AM
Now, Germany vs. England...

RICHARD
06-27-2010, 08:58 AM
Now, Germany vs. England...

Good Luck!:)

Kirsten
06-27-2010, 09:20 AM
Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

RICHARD
06-27-2010, 09:33 AM
Say it again.......;)

Kirsten
06-27-2010, 09:33 AM
Again.... Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2:0!!!!!!
(that means "yay!!!!")

Ehm, did you hear me screaming across the ocean? :o LOL

RICHARD
06-27-2010, 09:38 AM
WOW, what was that?

Kirsten
06-27-2010, 09:48 AM
That is indeed a very dramatic and emotional match. I have to admit it should be 2:2 by now, and I feel bad for England that Lampard's goal did not count! :(

RICHARD
06-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Again.... Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2:0!!!!!!
(that means "yay!!!!")

Ehm, did you hear me screaming across the ocean? :o LOL

Sports fans don't need a translation.:)

Exclamation marks say it all.

I hate to say this again, but the officiating has left me with a bad taste in my mouth..

:(

Kirsten
06-27-2010, 10:01 AM
I hate to say this again, but the officiating has left me with a bad taste in my mouth..

:(

Same here.... :( :( :(

Kirsten
06-27-2010, 10:24 AM
Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

OMG, this match is giving me a heart attack today!!! :eek:

Kirsten
06-27-2010, 10:26 AM
4:1!!! It's getting loud here!!!

RICHARD
06-27-2010, 10:33 AM
4:1!!! It's getting loud here!!!

Better save some for the next round!:D

Pinot's Mom
06-27-2010, 10:42 AM
How loud is it now, Kirsten??:D

RICHARD
06-27-2010, 10:47 AM
The announcer just commented on how Mick Jagger was rooting for both the U.S. and England-and they both lost......

He was asking if he brought both teams bad luck....:eek:

Kirsten
06-27-2010, 10:52 AM
OMG, it's over!!! And Pinot's Mom, it's getting VERY loud here now! :D

This match was getting on my nerves, I'm relieved, yes, but not really happy because of the Lampard goal. This could have easily ended the other way around.

Some will say it's the revenge for the Wembley goal of 1966, but it's still not fair for England.

Okay, now the celebrations outside are starting, and I think I will go now and join the party, no matter what... :D

RICHARD
06-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Two great observations about the game.

One Mex commentator said about the non call on the England goal?

Si me abuelita tenia dos ruedas, eva ser una bicicleta.
(If my grandmother had two wheels, she'd be a bicycle..)

And the gal following him said about the goals scored by the German team,

Se goales eran amore?

(If goals were love....)

------------

MEXICO.

Kirsten
06-27-2010, 02:42 PM
A country going crazy... LOL
(pictures from my hometown)

http://www.catmom.de/pics/wm1.jpg

http://www.catmom.de/pics/wm2.jpg

http://www.catmom.de/pics/wm3.jpg

http://www.catmom.de/pics/wm4.jpg

http://www.catmom.de/pics/wm5.jpg

http://www.catmom.de/pics/wm6.jpg

http://www.catmom.de/pics/wm7.jpg

http://www.catmom.de/pics/wm8.jpg

Two England fans:
http://www.catmom.de/pics/wm9.jpg

http://www.catmom.de/pics/wm10.jpg

Oh, and to those who can open amr-files... This how my entire country sounded like this evening:
Crazy Germans (http://www.catmom.de/pics/schland.amr)

kitten645
06-27-2010, 03:29 PM
FUN Kristen!
Sorry Richard....
ARGENTINA!!

:love:
Claudia

RICHARD
06-27-2010, 05:03 PM
FUN Kristen!
Sorry Richard....
ARGENTINA!!

:love:
Claudia

No need to apologize, the best team won.

As long as some team who speaks spanish is involved, I don't care.

I don't mean that to be a butt head. As my teams lose, I pick others I have something in common with.

As long as the games are exciting.

I was looking at the schedule and damn, I have watched alot of futbol!:eek:

---------------------

Kirsten, about the guy in the Beckham jersey..

A comedian was commenting on fans who wear a team jersey to the games they go to.

He went on and said something like, Why do people bother to dress in a jersey/uniform of the team when they go to a game? It's not like a player will get hurt and the coach will look up into the stands and say, HEY YOU, in the #8 shirt, get down here and help us out.

I laugh at that because I see guys, and will keep seeing them in the future, wearing a Laker's jerseys and they are 5 foot 6, weigh about 200 lbs and are as hairy as Bigfoot.

I get supporting you team, but sometimes it does not look right!

Sonia59
06-28-2010, 03:46 AM
Oh nice Kirsten! :) At least here it's more quiet :rolleyes:
I am not posting much here, but I more or less follow the results, if not the games. I am supporting PT'ers teams! This is the nice thing when your own country is out, you can support other ones :D :D

RICHARD
06-28-2010, 12:41 PM
Oh nice Kirsten! :) At least here it's more quiet :rolleyes:
I am not posting much here, but I more or less follow the results, if not the games. I am supporting PT'ers teams! This is the nice thing when your own country is out, you can support other ones :D :D

Almost two in the morning and you are talking futbol?;)

carole
06-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Sorry Kirsten i am so late with my congratulations, WELL DONE, i hope you continue to do as well, good luck.;):)

Kirsten
06-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Thanks Carole!

Well, I know it's a bit mean, but I was ROTF@this one:

http://www.fidgetwith.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/outofafrica.jpg

smokey the elder
07-02-2010, 02:51 PM
The mighty Brazil was toppled by the Netherlands, 2-1!

Kirsten
07-02-2010, 03:26 PM
The mighty Brazil was toppled by the Netherlands, 2-1!

Yup, isn't it amazing? LOL

Husky_mom
07-02-2010, 04:19 PM
haha.. yay Holland!!..

I liked Brazil but they often got sooo airheaded cause they "alwaya" win (won :P).. this should keep them grounded on earth

Holland (Netherlands) is also one of my faves... my next fave to win is Germany..

and from the other four.. I kinda root for Uruguay and Paraguay.. don´t really like Spain.. and while the guay´s are not that "strong" teams.. they did surpassed quite a lot of "strong" ones and are there for a reason... hope they make it far along..

RICHARD
07-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Wow,

Great games.

Drama, Ups and Downs.

There are parts of the planet that have had their hearts broken.

Kirsten
07-02-2010, 04:27 PM
I'm feeling really sorry for Ghana right now. Guess Africa will be crying tonight! :(

Sonia59
07-02-2010, 04:55 PM
Yes, losing this way is really too bad:(

RICHARD
07-02-2010, 05:17 PM
DUDE.

Six teams left, Five will lose.

This is crazy, I was looking forward to seeing my picks, Brazil and Germany,
play in the final.

Husky,

Who you calling "guey"?:D

Husky_mom
07-02-2010, 05:22 PM
Husky,

Who you calling "guey"?:D

lol.. no no Richard.. guay´s hahahaha UruGUAY and ParaGUAY.. they both end in guay.. lol

RICHARD
07-02-2010, 05:50 PM
lol.. no no Richard.. guay´s hahahaha UruGUAY and ParaGUAY.. they both end in guay.. lol

No miro bien.:confused::D

Sonia59
07-03-2010, 08:32 AM
In half an hour now...Go Germany, Go!!!!:)

RICHARD
07-03-2010, 08:39 AM
IT's too early to have a beer.......

Fubol Jesus?
I would like two more GREAT games today, please.

Amen.

Sonia59
07-03-2010, 08:49 AM
IT's too early to have a beer.......

Fubol Jesus?
I would like two more GREAT games today, please.

Amen.

Here it's perfect, almost 4 PM...;)
I am sure it will be a great game

Kirsten
07-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Only a couple of minutes... Wow, I'm nervous! That's going to be tough today... :eek:

Kirsten

RICHARD
07-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Only a couple of minutes... Wow, I'm nervous! That's going to be tough today... :eek:

Kirsten

That's the price you pay for watching sports.;)

RICHARD
07-03-2010, 10:31 AM

Kirsten

It's still too early to drink.....;)

Killearn Kitties
07-03-2010, 10:35 AM
It's five o'clock in the world somewhere, Richard. Germany for example ...

RICHARD
07-03-2010, 10:50 AM
It's five o'clock in the world somewhere, Richard. Germany for example ...

Maybe I will...;)

Hey don't tell Kirsten I said this?

I think she still worries when the scores get to 3-0?:D

Kirsten
07-03-2010, 10:51 AM
OMG!!!!

I can't believe what I just saw!!!!!!! :) :) :)

YAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

Kirsten
07-03-2010, 10:54 AM

I think she still worries when the scores get to 3-0?

LOL, yes, more or less!! :D

But wow, these boys are awesome, aren't they??? :love:

Killearn Kitties
07-03-2010, 10:56 AM

I think she still worries when the scores get to 3-0?:D

I know! What is she like? She just doesn't seem to appreciate how good this team is. It's OK though, I won't tell her what you said. ;)

kitten645
07-03-2010, 12:06 PM
:*(

Barbara
07-03-2010, 02:06 PM
I simply can't believe it. 4:0. Against Argentina whose Messi is considered to be the best player world wide.
My neighborhood is crazy. Vuvuzelas in the village ;)

Kirsten
07-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Same here, Barbara! :) I never expected them to defeat Argentina, and not only that they have won the game, they played an awesome match. 4:0!!! And Schweinsteiger did an amazing job with Messi today; where was Messi anyway? LOL

Kirsten
07-03-2010, 04:14 PM
So, the semi finals will be the Netherlands vs. Uruguay, and Germany vs. Spain. Will be interesting.

I know! What is she like? She just doesn't seem to appreciate how good this team is. It's OK though, I won't tell her what you said.

I've seen it!! :D

Pinot's Mom
07-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Go Germany!!:D

RICHARD
07-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Wow.......
Netherlands and Spain in the final.:eek:

Ugh,

I have to root for Spain because the goalie has my Dad's surname.

;)

Kirsten
07-04-2010, 10:45 AM
I'm sorry, Richard, but this time, I cannot agree with you! :D I'm hoping for a final Germany vs. Netherlands, like in 1974 - the rest is history!! :p

Husky_mom
07-04-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm hoping for a final Germany vs. Netherlands

my pick too :D.. I´d love to see this match come true...

RICHARD
07-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Half way there.....:D

Kirsten
07-07-2010, 12:49 AM
I've seen it, but now I'm beginning to get nervous again. Tonight... :eek: And Paul the Octopus predicted that Spain will win. So far, he never failed in this tournament.

Sonia59
07-07-2010, 04:51 AM
Go Germany, go! I want to see a Netherlands-Germany final! :D Should be hot ;)

Perhaps Paul is getting tired :confused: You know, last time he was very long deciding for Germany, while Germany easily won! Or perhaps he wanted another food in his box, who knows ;)

RICHARD
07-07-2010, 06:43 AM
I've seen it, but now I'm beginning to get nervous again. Tonight... :eek: And Paul the Octopus predicted that Spain will win. So far, he never failed in this tournament.

I should never have mentioned anything about Paul to you!:):eek::D

Kirsten
07-07-2010, 03:25 PM
:( :( :(

Kirsten
07-07-2010, 04:08 PM
I should never have mentioned anything about Paul to you!

There are actually many people here in my country right now who'd like to have calamari tomorrow! ;)

Sonia59
07-07-2010, 04:26 PM
:(:(:( I, too, was hoping for a final Germany-Netherlands! I don't know why, but I did not want to see Spain in the final (although I have nothing against Spanish, perhaps just because I was sure Germany would win :rolleyes:)

How come this Paul could have guessed it? I know octopuss are very very intelligent animals, but still...:confused:

RICHARD
07-07-2010, 06:44 PM
There are actually many people here in my country right now who'd like to have calamari tomorrow! ;)

With a little lemon and basil.....:eek:

I apologize for that.

Netherlands 2-0, Final.

Third place? Germany, 2-1.

Pinot's Mom
07-07-2010, 09:29 PM
:( :( :(

Sorry, Kirsten!

Kirsten
07-08-2010, 04:53 AM
Such a bitter defeat! :( It's hard to believe that this was the same team that did all the magic against England and Argentina! Spain was way too strong last night and at no time there was a tiny chance for Germany to win this semi final. The end of our "summer fairy tale 2010"... :( :( :(

RICHARD
07-08-2010, 07:30 PM
I kept forgetting to tell my World Cup joke...

Why did Team Brazil lose?

They played like Kaka!:confused:

Sonia59
07-09-2010, 07:19 AM
No comment to Richard :rolleyes:

Have you seen Paul's guess? Spain as winner, and Germany 3rd. He did not hesitate at all ;)

Catty1
07-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Aw Kirsten - sorry! It's like our local hockey and football (American style) teams...one has to hope they 'peak' at the right times and keep the momentum. It's so hard!

Of course, maybe the below has something to do with it? ;)

http://graphjam.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/funny-graphs-are-you-qualified-to-be-a-world-cup-referee-do-you-have-at-least-a-basic-knowledge-of-the-rules-of-football-no-do-you-have-good-eyesight-no-sorry-you-are-not-qualified-to-be-a-referee-yes.png

RICHARD
07-10-2010, 11:53 AM
On UNIVISION the announcer said that someone twitted him about Paul the Cephalopod and they said that he always picked the box on the right hand side.

So, I want to talk to the trainer.......He is one that sets up the boxes!!!:confused::)

Barbara
07-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Such a bitter defeat! :( It's hard to believe that this was the same team that did all the magic against England and Argentina! Spain was way too strong last night and at no time there was a tiny chance for Germany to win this semi final. The end of our "summer fairy tale 2010"... :( :( :(

There was a comedian here in the radio who said: "The Spanish did not even give them the ball. How could they prove that they are better if they didn't get the ball. That was just not fair from the Spanish.":D
All that in Bavarian accent.
That's life ;)

RICHARD
07-10-2010, 03:52 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_the_Octopus

---------------

People are calling in death threats to this poor guy.:eek::mad:

Kirsten
07-10-2010, 04:02 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_the_Octopus

---------------

People are calling in death threats to this poor guy.:eek::mad:

"The prediction led to death threats as German fans called for Paul to be cooked and eaten.[19][20] In response, Spanish prime minister Jose Zapatero jokingly offered to send Paul official state protection, and the Industry Minister Miguel Sebastian called for Paul to be given safe haven in Spain." :D :D :D

Poor Paul!! But he's a real celebrity now, isn't he? LOL

So, the World Cup is over for my team, they're No. 3, like in 2006... But while everyone seemed to be happy about it four years ago, it seems like this time, the team and their fans are still somewhat disappointed. It was awesome today how they turned the match around - why couldn't they do that in the semi final? :(

There was a comedian here in the radio who said: "The Spanish did not even give them the ball. How could they prove that they are better if they didn't get the ball. That was just not fair from the Spanish."

So true! :(

Candace, that was funny! :) But of course the defeat in the semi final cannot be blamed on the referees, even though some of them made some very questionable decisions in this World Cup.

Killearn Kitties
07-11-2010, 04:56 AM
But of course the defeat in the semi final cannot be blamed on the referees, even though some of them made some very questionable decisions in this World Cup.
At least none of them have given three yellow cards to the same player, as happened last time! :D

I didn't see the game last night, but it sounded good. I am on tenderhooks wondering if Paul's final prediction will prove accurate.

RICHARD
07-11-2010, 02:13 PM
Why did that man get kicked in the chest?;)

Kirsten
07-11-2010, 04:47 PM
This is it, the World Cup 2010 is over... Thanks a lot to South Africa for this great event! :)

And congrats to Spain for winning the World Cup. Losing in the semi final to the future champion is not so bad after all, isn't it? (Been the same for Germany in 2006 already).

And wow, Paul was right with all his predictions this year!! :D

Sonia59
07-12-2010, 05:50 AM
Yeah, congratulations to Spain! They had a big party the whole night! :)

RICHARD
07-13-2010, 09:15 AM
Now I have to wait four more years?:D

Well done, Spain!:D Next time I'll listen to the octopi.....

I'm still eat seadfood.