PDA

View Full Version : Dogs onboard planes.

Varga
05-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone here has experience with transporting dogs on an airplane (in the cargo hull, since both my dogs are too large to go in the cabin). Was is extremely stressful for your dogs? Bad enough to actually potentially kill a dog?

... I can't get that scenario out of my head. That I'll arrive at my destination. Go to pick up the dogs and then be told that one or both died during the flight. I know it overly stupid to think in a worst case scenario but sometimes I can't help it.

Of course I want to bring my dogs with me. And that's what I am planning to do. But... I dunno. I guess what I'm looking for is reassurance that it is not too selfish of me?

Would it be more humane of me to leave them behind? Find them new homes? I can't stand thinking that... but sometimes I do wonder.
Especially Tiki. She's 12 already. Not that she's that fragile... or at least she doesn't give off that vibe just yet. But still. 12 is old for a dog and the stress could be too much for her.
And Taggart. Well, he'd probably make it physically. But he's sensitive sometimes so it could damage him mentally. He was so fearful when I first got him but he's overcome so much over the years. He's still young however, so if the experience did set him back, I'm sure we could work through it again...

Bah! I'm so worried! Because it's not only one flight which will be necessary but at least two, possibly three !! And one really long flight over the Atlantic. And the mere thought of what might happen to my dogs is enough to send me through a panic.

I'm moving to the US to live later this year and of course I want to bring my dogs with me. I still haven' looked that closely at what's needed to bring the dogs to America. There isn't a set date, so I have plenty of time to figure things out and all.

Today I looked at approved crates, since I figured it would be a good idea to get those as soon as possible and simply start using them already now. Neither of my dogs is used to a crate, so I was thinking of buying those and, when they get accustomed to them, start using them every time I take the dogs in the car. You know, to sort of get them used to being in the crate while traveling. Can't really be compared to the noise and change of pressure and whatnot experienced on a flight, of course. But at least they would be accustomed to being in a crate while it moves from the motion and so on.

Anyone got any other tips or an idea that would help?
Or just a good luck wish..?

wolf_Q
05-30-2010, 01:46 PM
I've flown both Nebo and Keva before. It was around a 4 hour flight, no layovers or plane changes. They both did fine, a little stressed, but okay. The plane is temperature controlled. If it were me I'd have to do it if I were moving I'd have to take them with me. I won't fly my dogs again unless that's the case though, no more flying them for trips. I don't know how it is out of the country but you can't fly dogs here from May to September (or close to that) because of it being warm. Best of luck to you, where in the states are you moving?

Twisterdog
05-30-2010, 03:08 PM
I have flown a few rescue dogs to new homes. I have never had a problem. They arrived in fine condition. The airlines have very stringent requirements ... type and quantity of bedding, water, food, etc. ... and you cannot fly an animal if the temperature is above or below a certain range.

Varga
05-30-2010, 03:52 PM
I'll be moving to Buffalo, NY from the Faroe Islands. Looong flight. About 15 hours or so(that's including the waiting time between flights of course). Last time I visited I flew from the Faroes to Iceland, then Iceland to Boston and then Boston to Buffalo. And it's not really possible to do it much shorter than that, I think.
The longest actual flight is 6 hours. That's from Iceland to the states. But suppose that doesn't really make much of a difference, since I reckon just being in the crate in unfamiliar surroundings is stressing enough, so being in the air or not doesn't really matter :(

I read about that temperature thing earlier too. Gotta look closer into that.

Found a great website actually, where they apparently can do all the preparation and so on for you. It's probably a lot more costly but definitely worth a look to make sure everything is in order. I don't wanna risk any paperwork and so on not being in order, that's for sure.

This is permanent of course. Otherwise I would not even consider it.

Kater
05-30-2010, 03:59 PM
I flew my dog from Hawaii to Colorado. It's hard to know how animals will do with the process beforehand. I'd think taking them with you would be far better than trying to rehome them. One recommenation I have is NOT to use sedatives. This can interfere with their temperature regulation as well as cause worse anxiety in many cases. I would say getting them used to the crates now is a great first step.

Karen
05-30-2010, 04:08 PM
I think getting them used to the crates is key, and maybe do a few trips with them in crates in the car, so they get used to the motion. Hey, if you have a long layover in Boston, let us know, I'd love to come and meet you! (We're about 15 minutes from our house to the airport because of the improvements to the highways around there!

How much time do you have to prepare?

moosmom
05-30-2010, 06:14 PM
I sent a cat via Delta Dash. They are not placed in cargo. Their carriers are inside the plane and monitored by airline staff. It's inexpensive and I would recommend it. They require certificates of health to travel.

Taz_Zoee
05-30-2010, 08:17 PM
I have no advice or flying experience. I just wanted to give you good luck wishes. I do hope you can take them with you. I know it would be so hard to not have them with you once you are in the US.
It sounds like you've got plenty of time to research things and make sure the best possible precautions are taken. :)

Freedom
05-31-2010, 07:50 AM
Each airline has their own requirements, so be sure to check their web page as a start, and then check with them directly.

I don't know about international flights, as you would be doing. The only info I have relates to flight within the states. Small Paws Rescue routinely flies the dogs, using American Air Cargo. The dogs are in a pressurized part of the cargo plan. On any flight, you want to be sure the dogs travel in a pressurized section!

Within US, you need a health certificate signed by a vet, within 15 days of flight. Rabies shot must be up to date.

SPR tapes 2 bags to the TOP of the crate: one has the harness and leash, the other has food. In case there is a need to feed the dog during travel. But I don't know if every airline allows this.

My Sugar was age 9.5 when she flew from Ohio to RI via Chicago. She missed her connecting flight in Chicago; someone took her out for a walk, fed her, etc. She made the trip fine.

What about your cat? You only mention the puppers!

Varga
05-31-2010, 02:52 PM
Good to hear that so many have positive experiences with dogs traveling on planes. Especially other elderly dogs. Makes me more confident that we can do this! :D

I did think about sedatives... but I'm not going to do that and risk them having trouble breathing. Not to mention that if they are sedated and only half awake and not fully in control of their senses, the whole experience becomes even more scary to them.

Oh, I obviously plan to bring Leo too.
And actually, I'm not that worried about Leo. He's used to being in a crate when traveling to the vet or when I need someone to look after him. And he's small enough to travel in the cabin. So the whole thing shouldn't be that much worse than a long car trip for him. And he's amazingly mellow to boot. Car rides, vet visits and even baths (!!!), don't bother him all that much, so I'm pretty sure he'll be all right.
Only thing which I have been worrying about, concerning Leo, is how he'll cope with getting used to being a fully indoor cat. Since here he's allowed to come and go as he pleases.
But whatever. That should be ok. He's gotten so lazy over the years, that quite often he doesn't step a single paw outside for days. So maybe adjusting to life as an indoor cat isn't going to be too difficult.

Oh and Karen. Thank you very much for your kind offer. I doubt I'll stop for long in Boston tho'. Unless it's unplanned. ;)

I have plenty of time to plan this move. The idea is to move to America before Christmas. And that's pretty much all we have which could be thought of as a deadline.